Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 02:33:34 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!  (Read 17123 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Chūni-byō Demo Koi ga Shitai!
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
5:

From this day onward, Tooka is my favorite character of the show, just slightly ahead of tsukkomi Nibutani. Why? Because she's ballsy enough to teach a kid to get real and face the facts of real life. I salute you.

Offline SQA

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 01:45:40 AM »
5:

KyoAni does cute WAY too well.  Way too well.

I adore this show far more than I should...

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
5:

The director warned us that the "main story" would begin this episode. Seems like it.

Rikka's loneliness was obviously the cause of her chuunibyou behavior, but now that Yuuta is there she might turn back, just as she did several times this episode.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 12:35:06 AM »
That's the main story?

Okay, unless this is an actual mental disorder, there isn't anything to "cure".  As you said, leokiko, it's just behavior.  Rikka already knows how to act like a regular human being, as she did it several times this episode.  She also knows what real world things are, because she responds to them when prompted by others.  She knows what an e-mail address is, even if she stupidly calls it something else.  She knows what is important, even if she isn't very good at it.

To be blunt, the reason that Nibutani and Yuuta got over this is because they realized it was just stupid kids play and embarrassing behavior.  They came to this realization on their own (unless they had help, which isn't known at this point).  But Rikka just acts this way for attention?  Hell, I could have told you that.  There isn't much plot to drive the show when the solution is simply "get over yourself."  This isn't quite the levels of Denpa Onna where Erio had a legitimate anti-social mental problem, this is just acting out like a moron, in public.  It's not really any different than being an emo or goth kid.  Get over it.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
The main story is going to be the relationship between Yuuta & Rikka.  Whether is goes anywhere by the end is anyone's guess, since I believe they aren't sticking terribly close to the base work.

As for Denpa Onna, that was a bit more of an exploration of someone that had something "break" in them, at least in the first 1 or 2 LNs.  After ep 5, it really went to a different place, though it always left that K-Pax impression: you can't be sure exactly what's real in that world.  Or it became Meme's story, one or the other, haha.  (Or that the series was one of the most SHAFTian of the SHAFT works clouds the issue)  If you want more of a contrast with Chuunibyou, Denpa Onna was "otherworldly" in its display of moe; Chuunibyou is "cute" in its moe.  Or something like that.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »
5:

This show is growing lamer at an exponential rate. The comedy has lots its charm, and the characters just aren't interesting. An attempt at romance would be pathetic at best. Not a whole lot to like anymore about this.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 01:34:44 AM »
6:

I can't help but feel like I've been trolled by this episode entirely. One, Isshiki is such a douchebag for a guy who tries to be cool. And two, Nibutani is best when she's edgy... and she has no idea about it.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 08:55:30 AM »
6:

What the hell? That picture at the beginning was amazing! Sure it was weird, but she can sure draw, was it so weird that noone noticed this?

Anyway, I feel kinda sorry for Isshiki, but at the same time I feel it was what he deserved. Anyway, can the plot start now please?

Offline SQA

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
6:

A little bit of a side episode, but Isshiki should come out okay.  Kumin loves a baldy, apparently.  And he could do much worse.

Oh, and being Japanese he really wouldn't do this, but the proper move (since he was going to succumb) would have been to walk up, take the notebook, compliment Nibutani for being #1, then sit back down.  Granted, he was already scared of Nibutani and he's Japanese (so actual Alpha-moves are pretty much out), but it would have been the correct choice.  Granted, we wouldn't have gotten that scene with him taking full responsibility. 

Plot should started next episode.  I think we can assume that Tooki & Rikka's parents are divorced, but I don't quite get why going home is such a burden.  (They've been dropping hints of the family break up for a while, including Rikka not even being in contact with her parents)   Unless their parents are dead and it's actually an Aunt/Uncle they don't get along with.

Oh, and awesome credit to the KyoAni staff with Nibutani's circle roll in the club room.  That was hilarious. 

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 01:32:55 AM »
6:

*yawn*

This show is boring.

Not a single character in this has an ounce of interesting depth. The humor has little charm now. No real direction to the story now as well, and if I can't laugh at the humor I'm wondering what's there left for me here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:47:19 AM by Reckoner »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »
6:

I'm with Reckoner.  This whole bit with Rikka's sister foreboding doom better result in something.

I mean, what was the point of this episode?  A side character, and a male to boot, gets a chance at happiness and has it snatched away to maintain the status quo.  While he reaps what he sows, the seriousness of the situation is so god damned inane that I forgot I was watching something by Kyoto Animation.  The girls are THAT pissed that the guys did a popularity poll on the girls?  Are they that ****ing dense that they don't realize that young men are hornballs who are going to have tastes?  Maybe they found the results insulting, but that doesn't mean they need to turn the whole thing into the Spanish Inquisition.  While I appreciate Isshiki's manliness in admitting the truth, all the crap afterward was just painful to watch.  Worse, Nibutani knows the whole thing is a sham, but doesn't even have the guts to stand up for the boy against her fellow female classmates.

Rikka, Dekomori, and Tsuyuri might have well not bothered to show up this episode, for all the purposes they served.  Unless there's some kind of hint I'm not picking up on that Tsuyuri was the letter writer, but I'm not getting that vibe.  When I was a kid, everybody wanted to rub the head of the bald / buzzed short kid.  It was just a thing (it felt weird, and the rest of us never had the balls to do it ourselves).  So, yeah, no, I'm thinking she's just being her usual whimsical self.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
6:

For me it's one of those shows where the characters are just about as well-written enough to serve the purposes of the comedy, but otherwise they're pretty flat. I'm really enjoying this show, although that will probably change once the romance plot kicks in.

Are they that ****ing dense that they don't realize that young men are hornballs who are going to have tastes?  Maybe they found the results insulting, but that doesn't mean they need to turn the whole thing into the Spanish Inquisition.

Ranking how attractive a group of women are just comes as really objectifying, and even creepy when it's women that you know in real life. The boys may not necessarily have had any sexist intentions, them being horny teenagers and all, but I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable if all the boys in my class took part in such a thing. Having an interrogation about the whole thing seems like a bit much, I agree, but I don't think there's anything dense about the girl's reaction.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:33:35 PM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 03:35:45 AM »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 03:58:38 AM »
How much can you stand....?

Personally, I made it through a minute. Then I realized I had better things to do with my life.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 05:34:03 AM »
How much can you stand....?

I lasted the entire stretch. It's a pity, if they made some more variation later on I think I could listen to it through no problem. It's quite catchy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Up