Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 03:02:01 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Shinsekai Yori (From a New World)  (Read 38919 times)

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

Re: Shinsekai Yori (From a New World)
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »
The disappeared kids are totally rat people.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »
Episode 3

I wish my class trips were as fun as that looked.  It looks like we are going to see what the world is really like alongside the characters.  The whole mechanical library due to an extinction of books isn't a new concept.  But, it is actually quite interesting in this setting.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 12:48:26 AM »
The disappeared kids are totally rat people.

That's actually the first thing I thought. Will be interesting to see if we turn out to be correct.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »
3:

Actually, this whole new world is interesting enough.

I find this series utterly absorbing. Basically, what is thought to be a world that has somewhat gone backwards in terms of use of modern technology turns out to be more "advanced" than we can imagine. In fact, it has "evolved" into a new world where information can be digitized into some psycho-technological storage form accessible by telekinesis. It kinda makes sense how minoshiro is said to be evil not because it truly is; it's just a myth to thwart curious people from prying into the bloody history of mankind.

Now, what I am wondering is, why are these minoshiro what they are? Why that form, of all things? Is it natural evolution or one made by Man? In fact, has telekinesis reached to the point of reality warping where the world is formed by mere thought?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:18 AM »
4:

I am loving this show, I think it is excellent, there is so much intrigue and good atmosphere. They do it so well, it's not as if the mood is always the same either, they're changing to to match what's going on exactly, making you feel more and more uncomfortable.

This is my favourite show of the season currently, and I don't see that changing in the near future.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
4:

So simply put... shit has just hit the fan.

A lot of things have more or less been revealed in this episode -- the first case of the new phenomenon, the horrible chain of events that followed, the rise and fall of civilizations, the division of humanity, etc. -- but there are still a lot of things that remain to be explored such as the state of the current world. The story basically plays the "curiosity kills the cat" card, and how false the seemingly peaceful the current world is.

Me thinks this is going to be the best show of the season. Premature judgment I know, but I'm just saying.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »
Episode 4

It is going to be hard to follow this up consistently since that was one of the biggest reveals I have seen in an anime for awhile.  Still, this show has all the tools it needs to succeed until the end.  Granted, I think the pace might slow down a bit since they still have room to explore things en route to an out of this world adventure.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
5:

3 things I noticed:
1) The pace picked up.
2) The animation got slightly worse.
3) The characters looked older.

It should be obvious by now that I think this will be the best show of the season, I'll be honest in that there were parts of the episode that could have been done better, like the pacing,but apart from that I thought it was a very good episode. Those kids are pretty clever though, to think of making the bluff that they still have their powers, well, not clever, but calm under stress, in that situation I'd expect most people (let alone kids), to just run away out of fear.

Two things that surprised me:
1) The fact they decided to split up.
2) That somewhat sexual scene between Satoru and Saki. They built up to it somewhat during the episode, so it didn't come out of nowhere, but I always saw the romance being between Saki and Shun.

On that scene, I thought it was pretty good, although I didn't know what the **** they were doing, whatever it was, it seemed pretty erotic. It was an odd thing to include maybe, but it fitted into the episode naturally, especially with how Saki remembered the Libraries description of sexual behaviour (which I found weirdly amusing).

Anyway, hopefully this will continue to be a good show.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »
5:

The animation quality is really in question for this episode. Not sure why it dipped this time.

The pacing picked up and the story is becoming more interesting. What I really don't understand regarding the sexual tension between Saki and Satoru is the cause; why is there even sexual tension in the first place? I do get hints that they like each other but I'm not convinced that that led to the tension. Plus, since their Canti are sealed, should the phenomenon even apply anymore?

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
@AC

It goes back to the bonobos, when tension rises up they release stress with sexual activity and it doesn't even have to be opposite gender. There's implications that Saki had sex with her mother and  Maria too. This has nothing to do with who they necessarily like the most.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 12:40:10 AM »
Saki also notices that the whole bonobos thing was crap and stops.  Someone was telling me that in the book, she only stops when she notices the guard, not before.  An interesting choice for the adaptation, if true, as it means completely different things.  Considering that the library basically said that the sexual activity was a means of control, instead of something natural, perhaps she's developing a bit of a revulsion for sexual contact.  If all my life I'd been told that it's no big deal, then find out it's just a way of manipulating the populace, I'd be pretty grossed out, too.

However, if it's really like I was told, all of that critical thinking goes out the window, which would be sad to me.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
6:

I only have one thing to say: this show would have been a lot more enjoyable if only the visuals are a lot better. As for the story itself, it's pretty obvious why there are so many measures created to prevent the use of the Cursed Powers right about now. just by looking at how Satoru is behaving.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 12:57:35 AM »
6:

And Saki didn't recall this earlier why?  I find it fascinating that she has the ability to totally recall a speech she's only heard once in her entire life verbatim, but it took her until now to remember what Satoru's mantra is.  Then again, she was tripping balls a few seconds before that, for another undisclosed reason, so maybe she was getting some help somehow.

Though I'll admit, it was neat how the monk specifically mentioned that they would forget THEIR OWN mantras, and that came back to be helpful later.  One of those Chekov's Gun things.

Lastly, God those Spiders regroup and organize quick.  Admittedly, we don't get a good feel for how much time passes between each scene, but they went from "on the offensive" to "coming up with complicated defensive" schemes rather fast.  This is especially interesting since they were all scared shitless of Satoru's Power a few scenes before.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
7:

I kind of missed something in all this.  Was the purpose, by the end of this episode, to show us that the Monster Rats aren't just following humans out of fear / respect for our powers (like Saki's father thinks)?  The tension the last couple of episodes has not really been about the wild ones attacking, but whether or not the supposedly loyal ones would stay that way if they found out the kids lost their powers.  Kiromaru says he'd be killed if the children reveal that he helped them.  Saki derives from this that Kiromaru did, in fact, receive orders from on high to punish the children somehow, but he didn't do it.

You could assume it was because, at least, Satoru had his, so maybe Kiromaru was still acting upon normal Monster Rat behavior.  You could also assume that this had nothing to do with it, and that the loyalty of the Monster Rat clans is based on more than simple power worship.  Could this be another big lie exposed?  A misconception?  Something more sinister?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »
8:

The ****?

So, what? Wow, whilst this didn't come out of nowhere, seeing all the homosexual behaviour was jarring. Oh, and that tongue.

I hope the plot gets moving again soon, I want to see something happen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up