Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 06:09:56 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Shinsekai Yori (From a New World)  (Read 38950 times)

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

Shinsekai Yori (From a New World)
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:58:17 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but definitely deserves a thread.

PV for those who know nothing about it:

http://youtu.be/8J-Vw9WfQs4

Synopsis:

Originally Posted by ANN
The story is set in Japan a millennium from now. Five children — the protagonist Saki, Satoru, Maria, Mamoru, and Shun — have been born and raised in a tranquil town that can be described as a utopia, overflowing with water and green foilage. The world is ruled by people who have the "cursed power" or the "gods' power" of telekinesis.

After a certain incident, Saki and the others come to realize the true nature of their world. Before long, they learn everything, including the bloody history that brought humanity to this state. The five throw themselves into life-threatening adventure and fighting to protect friends and a world on the brink of collapse.

This is definitely one of the more interesting prospects of the season for me.

Offline SQA

Re: Shinsekai Yori (From a New World)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »
This one is going to be a little weird for information coming out.   It actually premieres 4 days early over Satellite TV (so you can get a copy of ep 1 already), but we won't really be seeing any subs until the broadcast release.  So, if this gets really good, it could make for a wacky few weeks of watching it. 

Oh, and it's going to be pretty dark.  But a good, dark sci-fi is always up my alley. :)  (Let's just hope its good)

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
This one is going to be a little weird for information coming out.   It actually premieres 4 days early over Satellite TV (so you can get a copy of ep 1 already), but we won't really be seeing any subs until the broadcast release.  So, if this gets really good, it could make for a wacky few weeks of watching it.

One of the guys from a new fansub group on the block, Aidoru, said that they'd try to have the first episode subbed and ready to go before the broadcast release, so there's a chance a subbed version could show up in torrents over the weekend. Obviously it remains to be seen how they'll do on it, but I might as well throw that out there.

Offline SQA

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
It's less I'm concerned about fansubs hitting before the broadcast airing than more the fact that, historically, satellite rips are generally inconsistent to get a hold of.  So, as a whole, I wouldn't expect them to be able to consistently get the work out early.  (Been around long enough)

Which means I don't expect the subs before the over air, but, if its a big hit, there will be a flood of information hitting before you can go and watch the episode.  Possibly several days.  That can really grate on a person if they are following the series and attempting to not get spoiled on important details.  You don't see this effect as much, now, due to Crunchyroll and the streaming, but it used to be something of a problem to follow mystery series.  I doubt it'll be much of an issue with this series, but it can become a problem.  Especially if some that only watch streaming are waiting and we're jabbering up a storm for 2 days (because the subs come out early, for instance).

Offline shiijin

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »
1: i've got no clue whats going on. i think i caught on to the fact that theres this cool village that has inhabitants with telekinesis... yeah, i think that's the only thing that makes sense at this point.

Offline SQA

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 04:01:33 AM »
1:

I'd heard this would be pretty dark, but it's pretty straight forward what is going on, though the details are what will be interesting.  (Oh, and high powered voice cast)

Quick explanation:

The opening was a world-background.  Basically, at some point 1k years before the series, Telekinesis started to appear in humans.  And we got to see the first "bad day" that it happened.  I think they exploded 10 people on screen?  Which is a short way of saying "it changed society".  Which it would.

Now, the one thing I'm confused about is whether the kids playing, at first (when they were slightly younger) was supposed to be 1k years before the school setting, but I think they were just saying this was the future (in that scene and later).

Then it goes into the subtly ugly world.  Some of it is on the up & up, but most of it is probably an illusion.  I don't know which version of "an evil, constructed world" this is going to be, though.  Your options are: The Matrix, The Village (which is a crappy movie, but at least the idea works), Evil Elders Conspiracy or some mixing of the concepts.  It'll be fine so long as "systematic rape of children" doesn't enter picture like Fractale.   We do know that memory manipulation is already in play, aside from just Telekinesis.  (And that ceremony to bind the base powers leaves a whole lot of questions to be answered)

While I know nothing about the source material, that story about the barriers and something like a demon (Commie had it as "Akki", so short for "Akuma"?) is going to be of huge importance.  You don't go out of your way to tell that story without it being very important.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
1:

Take notes, Another. This is how you set a heavy atmosphere without beating your viewers over the head with it.

I wondered a bit about what happened in the millennium that passed in between the first manifestation of telekinetic powers and the events of where the story began to take place in earnest; it stood out somewhat how the former took place in an urban setting, yet the setting we're dealing with looks to be predominantly rural with some zealous religious undertones. It could have something to do with the presumably drastic societal changes that would have taken place over those 1000 years, or I could just be nitpicking and there are still large cities in place that we just haven't seen yet. Of course, that's in due time for the show to divulge; it's certainly going to be taking its time revealing things if this episode is any indication, but there's already the heavy impression that there are a lot of things amiss about where things stand now.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
1:

I found the cinematography so far to be quite striking, wasn't expecting that level of it here in this production.

The story has definitely captured my interest and I love the atmosphere they built up. Definitely dark content to be found here.

I suspected this may be one of the more interesting shows this season and the premiere did not disappoint.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »
Episode 1

Not going to lie.  I was definitely not expecting this much quality right off the bat.  The concepts and story are rather interesting with enough atmosphere to boot.  Really, I have not felt that much tension from a debuting episode in awhile.  This definitely looks like a winner and I am glad to be onboard thus far.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
1:

The premises are intriguing. Very intriguing. The world suddenly changes and we are immersed in one completely different from what we know (okay, not "suddenly", really; it's been 1000 years). I have to say, this series did really well to set up the setting and lay down the foundations. I'm intrigued to know what else this new utopia has to show me.

But there are a few issues: the pacing is a little too fast. It's fine to see that one fine day, an unknown phenomenon came to Earth and starts ****ing humanity up. That's riveting stuff there right from the onset. But then, the story starts introducing a lot of terms that are yet to be explained properly. Sure, since they are yet to explained, it leaves people wanting to know more about them but with a pacing that fast, it comes off as an overload. Would've been a bit better if they had taken things a notch slower and let the world reveal itself gradually.

But this is a good start to the new season. I'll be keeping an eye on this show for sure.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »

Well, that was well directed.   I didn't feel the compulsion to fast forward or do other things while watching this anime.   This is very much an anime about psychic children doing inane school things but there's something really menacing lurking underneath everything.  The gory opening, the use of music and sound effects are all well utilized to create something that's really engaging.  I just hope the overall story is up to snuff since all this high caliber presentation will feel like a waste without a strong narrative to support it.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 05:46:57 AM »
1:

Definitely watching this. Even if the first episode wasn't as good I would still be due to the premise. I would like to say I have high hoped but being slightly hesitant I'll just say that this will most likely be an above average show.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:22:07 PM »
1: Decent but seems rushed and the horror elements seem a bit obnoxious. Feels like it's going to be a plot over characters show so I might not end up giving a crap about any of them, but the art was nice and it was semi-entertaining.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »
1:

Was doing well with most of this, despite the rather hurried transitions with little to no explanation.  That's okay if they give us enough backstory as we go along.  Though, it isn't hard to figure out, contextually, what is important and what isn't as you watch the episode, so maybe backstory isn't necessary yet.

Only thing I didn't like was the general lack of subtlety with regard to "what happens to kids who don't graduate" mystery.  Kind of sledgehammered that to the point where it should be pretty ****ing obvious what's going down.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »
2:

I think the pet peeve of the story is just the hasty pace. It actually works to some effect, especially in terms of amplifying the shock value, but the show is just better if it brings the pace down a notch.

As interesting as the inter-group competition was, I found the restrictions as interesting too. I could see just how strict and meticulous the rules are in order to inhibit and control the powers of the students, and not allow or tolerate even the slightest transgression. Not sure if something like rules could prevent the inevitable i.e. the grim and draconian future that we saw for the first few minutes (man, that was some scary shit). In fact, it's not that hard to understand the rationale for implementing such rules: it has something to do with preventing massacres like in the past from happening.

The story continues to be deliciously grim. I'm intrigued.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up