Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 15, 2017, 01:30:26 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: To The Moon  (Read 5905 times)

Offline CupONoodos

• Chat with cup_o_noodos using Skype
    • Steam Community :: AnimeLunatic

To The Moon
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »
Not sure if anyone has heard of this indie game. If you haven't, you really owe it to yourself to check it out. It's definitely one of the most amazing indie games I've played and it is definitely something everyone should experience. The story is basically about a man who is on his death bed and these two doctors who specialize in "granting final wishes." You find out that the old man's final wish was simply, "To go to the moon." but he never explains why he wants to go. You play as the two doctors who grant his final wish and to find out his true reasons for wanting to go. Heres the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqkJuSV-23U

It just got released on Steam right now for a discount price and I would almost beg people to play it cause I really want the developer to get as much support for the game as he can. You also should definitely buy the soundtrack with it too its as its one of the best soundtracks I've listened to in awhile.

Offline Ejecting Pilot

Re: To The Moon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:34:26 AM »
Word amigo? You have piqued my interest and captured my attention. How does it play? Is it kind of like Earthbound or Chrono Trigger? I'm busy with GW2 but I have bunch of games on queue (steam sale...) and it seems like a game I might like to play.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
I haven't played it, but I think it's supposed to be more like an interactive story than a video game, right? Is that accurate?

Offline CupONoodos

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
Spot on it. It really isn't a video game. It's more an interactive story than one. There are very little game elements and puzzles in it, but the game is really there to tell the story and be a part of it. Even though there is very little game to it, theres something special about going through this amazing story and being a part of it which is why I completely fell in love with the game. Try it out, tell me about it. It really is just an amazing story to witness unfold.

Also you can really see the guy has a great sense of humor in his third trailer for the game haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Vo4m2yiIo&list=UUlBNmmlREy6BD8PSTFBDyQg&index=0&feature=plcp&noredirect=1
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:57:51 AM by CupONoodos »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »
Looks like an interesting game. I'd definitely be down to give it a shot after going through my horrible backlog of games.

Offline CupONoodos

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:10:21 AM »
Space Brothers has it's moments.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline CupONoodos

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »
Still need to see that. Definitely looks special.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
"Must play" game basically.  Not a perfect game but as a piece of storytelling it's astonishing, and it completely transcends the boundaries of the genre.  I don't want to get into it too deeply right now but even after finishing it I found the premise itself rather challenging.  But after reflecting on it, I've become more accepting of the triumphant way in which it presents its ending.  This is the type of story it is, though.  It's not just about a short-term emotional punch to be forgotten about later on, it also presents some ethical quandaries that aren't black-and-white without giving any simplistic answers.

Get the soundtrack as well.  It's chocked up with so many feels.

Offline Ejecting Pilot

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »
Bringing back a dead topic but, on GoG.com they have a special going on. For 10 dollas you can have your own pick of 5 indie games, which on their own would be 10 dollas each. One of the games is To The Moon. A bunch of other interesting games on sale as well.

Offline CupONoodos

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
"Get the soundtrack as well.  It's chocked up with so many feels."

"It's chocked up with so many feels."

"so many feels."

"feels."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGJ-R95pGrA

SO MANY FEEEEEEEELSSSS!

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGJ-R95pGrA
Hey, who's cutting onions around here.  When I find them, I'll... I'll...

Offline CupONoodos

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »

Manly tears of manliness have been shed!

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 05:13:10 AM »
I think I went into this game with too high of an expectation because of all the positive reactions I've read both in this thread and from the gaming community. Don't get me wrong, I really liked this game. However, I just wasn't that satisfied upon finishing it.

As Sorrow-kun said, this game absolutely transcends its own genre. On the surface, it's looks as if it's a pixel-art RPG, when in reality it's a everything that defines a visual novel underneath. In an effort to make the game more appealing to Western audiences (who certainly don't have the patience of clicking through mountains of text and clicking an option here and there), Kan Gao made the game an RPG which has interactive elements such as the Memory Link concept. However, underneath the skin of an RPG, this whole game really is a stylised visual novel. Its sole purpose is to tell a story - which it did marvellously well.

As great as transcending its own genre is, and as innovative as it is to conceal such a deep story underneath that of an RPG...because the story is the main focus of the game I will have to judge this game like a visual novel, and put extensive focus on the story. The story is pretty good, but definitely not as powerful as what I'd expected after the rave reviews. Had I gone into this game with no expectations, it would have exceeded them. However, winning GameSpot's "Best Story of 2012" over Ghost Trick? I certainly don't think it deserved that. More than three-quarters of the game are relatively uneventful, with the atmosphere built up more by the amazing OST rather than the story itself. Even at the end, the big "plot twists" didn't really shock me very much. Even as the Space Shuttle launched into space, I was still clinging onto the hope that something would happen that would push this beyond just a conventional romantic-drama with Sci-Fi elements. Nothing happened.

If we look at this game fairly, I think it's not an over exaggeration to say that the story isn't anything special. It's simply a relatively normal story told in non-chronological order, backed by an innovative RPG-based system and a breathtakingly good soundtrack. Take the soundtrack and the game mechanics away, and you're pretty much left with nothing except...well, a very straightforward romantic drama that doesn't deserve much praise. In fact, just think of it this way. If you made this game into a normal visual novel, and still keep the same soundtrack and non-linear storytelling...it wouldn't even be able to hold a candle against the likes of G-Senjou no Maou or Sharin no Kuni.

My conclusion is that the only reason why this game is hyped up to this extent is the fact that it's a visual novel cleverly disguised as an RPG. It's the first time an RPG told a story of this type in such a fashion, and that part of it deserves praise. However, I can't praise it for anything else beside the mechanics of how the game is designed as well as the soundtrack. The story itself is juvenile compared to good visual novels. It might be good compared to most games, or even anime and manga nowadays. However, it doesn't come close to the best visual novels out there. For a game whose emphasis is its story, I can't help but be disappointed.

Have I mentioned that the soundtrack is beautiful? I've been listening to the album on repeat for a few hours now. The soundtrack makes up for most of the game really.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up