Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 07:28:44 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An intro of sorts...  (Read 1127 times)

Offline historymanzp

• Animation connoisseur extraordinaire
  • Bakemonogatari: Proof Anime is Art
    • Google+
    • Chat with jordan.harms using Skype
    • Steam Community :: historyman101

An intro of sorts...
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
Well, I don't know where to post your introductions, so I guess I'll just post one here.

I'm historymanzp, but you can all call me historyman. In case the username isn't a giveaway, I'm a fanatic about all things history. My particular area of expertise is military and political history. I have a bachelor's degree in International Relations with a minor in Russian studies from Rhodes College, and I'm slated to go to Georgetown next year. Right now I'm prepping for a job to get my feet wet before plunging into grad school.

Anime is a big hobby of mine. I've been watching it since Toonami was on the air, and I always keep up to date with the latest in anime, whether it's new shows of the season, a famous figure in the anime business making an announcement, or just following studios in general. However, I tend to be picky when it comes to anime. I treat the industry much like the film industry, and look at anime as art rather than something to keep you entertained for a few hours. I want anime to be engrossing, intriguing, thrilling, emotional, and moving. I don't care for cheap tricks like fanservice, otaku in-jokes (unless it makes sense in context), or pandering to otaku in general. I believe anime is art. Take that as you will.

I run an anime review series on YouTube called Zero Expectations, which is primarily inspired from Gigguk of the Anime Zone, who in turn is inspired partly by Yahtzee. (I really hate Yahtzee myself, though) My username on here is the same on YouTube, though lately I've been stopped up with work to churn out reviews like clockwork.

I never followed many anime blogs, but this is one I have come to trust because of reviewers' taking anime seriously as art rather than as a form of entertainment. You won't believe how many anime bloggers I've come across that give Naruto 9 out of 10 scores...

My 3 favorite anime: Eureka 7, Bakemonogatari, and Cowboy Bebop.

My other hobbies: Model trains, creative writing, international politics.

It's nice to meet you all, and I hope I can contribute something to this community.

P.S. In case you can't tell, I'm a massive anime hipster. I also have a bit of a temper, but don't take offense to that. I love people. I just have very little patience for people's bull****.
My anime review channel: www.youtube.com/user/historymanZP

I have a temper. Don't let it scare you, though. I love people, but have no time for their bull****.

Death to the Animation Age Ghetto!

A lover of all things animated, from 1928 to today.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: An intro of sorts...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
Welcome. We used to have an Intro board, but we don't anymore, because we want people to just dive right in.  So feel free to find whatever thread interests you, and jump right into the conversation.  I'll lock this thread for now.

(Honestly, I hate Yahtzee too.  His schtick is more about looking at games as superficially as possible in order to make jokes than actually really reviewing stuff.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up