Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 09:26:32 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reviewing Visual Novels  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Uriel1988

• http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Uriel1988 | Anime-Planet
    • Steam Community :: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Uriel1988

Reviewing Visual Novels
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:40 AM »
Hello there,

First off, I'd like to compliment the staff on the great work they're doing on this site. That said, I was wondering if any of you have ever considered including a review section for visual novels. This site is dedicated to reviewing and discussing Japanese pop culture, after all. And Visual Novels have their own niche in this area. I also see that one of your recent additions to the staff (Reckoner) is a visual novel fan.

Don't mean to be pushy, but I think that reviews of visual novels would make for a great addition to this site.

Thoughts?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Reviewing Visual Novels
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:00:35 AM »
We do very occasional visual novel reviews on the blog, which you can see here.  As far as making it a permanent section on the main site, there aren't any short term plans for that at the moment.  If we had more regular visual novel readers on the staff, that might be a different story, but other than Eternal and Reckoner, most of us are just casual VN fans.  I intend to write an editorial post about Katawa Shoujo in the coming weeks, though.

Offline Uriel1988

• http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Uriel1988 | Anime-Planet
    • Steam Community :: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Uriel1988

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:01:47 AM »
We do very occasional visual novel reviews on the blog, which you can see here.  As far as making it a permanent section on the main site, there aren't any short term plans for that at the moment.  If we had more regular visual novel readers on the staff, that might be a different story, but other than Eternal and Reckoner, most of us are just casual VN fans.  I intend to write an editorial post about Katawa Shoujo in the coming weeks, though.

Thanks for the answer. That said, I still think the site would benifit from a section for Visual Novels. It is part of Japanese pop culture, after all, and they're not quite the same as video games. And I personally find it a bit awkward to have a VN review posted on the blog while everything else is on the main site. You seem to worry that a VN section would be underdeveloped if it were made, which is understandable. But hey, ''from humble beginnings'', right?

I'll (try to) leave it at this seeing as I don't want to be pushy nor do I want to make the impression that I'm trying to tell you how to run your site(s). If that's already the case then I apologize.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »
Might just make a mention: ImperialX isn't a NHRV staff, but he's a regular poster who is literally a breathing encyclopedia of VNs.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »

Thanks for the answer. That said, I still think the site would benifit from a section for Visual Novels. It is part of Japanese pop culture, after all, and they're not quite the same as video games. And I personally find it a bit awkward to have a VN review posted on the blog while everything else is on the main site. You seem to worry that a VN section would be underdeveloped if it were made, which is understandable. But hey, ''from humble beginnings'', right?

I'll (try to) leave it at this seeing as I don't want to be pushy nor do I want to make the impression that I'm trying to tell you how to run your site(s). If that's already the case then I apologize.

I wouldn't say visual novels are "pop culture"; they fall under the subculture category.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
They fall under the "crap" category.  Crap that generally turns into crap anime.  For all your Fate VNs out there you've got a hundred more generic pieces of shit.  I suppose that's true of anime, too, but I don't have to spend all that time playing them.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:27 AM »
You also have to keep in mind that unless you speak Japanese you are far behind the current times on the latest popular visual novels and are not even aware of the extremely wide selection of them out there since we are at the mercy of the slow translations, which btw takes a hell of a long time compared to fansubs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up