Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 11:42:08 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyouka  (Read 27024 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Hyouka
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
20:

It's blatantly obvious that, since this is a Holmes series, the simplest solutions are perhaps just too simple to be turned to. Hence, by imposing rules and restrictions to themselves, Houtarou and Chitanda basically froze themselves by several minutes. They just had to rely on the most difficult and risky solutions just so that they can solve their problem the most intricate way ever.

Simply put, if I were Houtarou, I'd simply break the door (heck, maybe just bang the door loud enough).

Offline shiijin

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
21: There needs to be arcs again. I enjoy these 1 episode mini mysteries, but there's something about giving you time to think about the mystery over a few weeks, then blowing you away with the conclusion (one that isn't blatantly obvious) at the end.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
21:

Normally I'd agree, but I think this was more a development episode for Satoshi than anything else.  The thing is, I think I know when it is he got over his "obsessing over one thing" mantra, and it was about the time he realized he couldn't beat Hotaru at detective work.  Up until that point, Satoshi was still highly competitive and wanted to be the best at it.  When he resigned himself to fate, he had his epiphany.

However, when it comes to Mayaka, I think he'd already had this idea for a while.  He was okay with obsessing over concepts, ideas, and things, but when it came to a person I don't think he could make that leap.  So we get an idea of what goes through his mind, to help us understand the boy a bit better.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »
Normally I'd agree, but I think this was more a development episode for Satoshi than anything else.  The thing is, I think I know when it is he got over his "obsessing over one thing" mantra, and it was about the time he realized he couldn't beat Hotaru at detective work.  Up until that point, Satoshi was still highly competitive and wanted to be the best at it.  When he resigned himself to fate, he had his epiphany.

Hm. I'm inclined to think that his problem stems from way before the Kanya Festival or even Houtarou himself, but I do agree that the previous arc served to further reinforce his way of thinking. Even during the earlier episodes, he's already had a habit for self-deprecation, especially in the way he kept labeling himself as a database. I think the fairly carefree demeanor we've seen so far is a defense mechanism he created to protect his own self-esteem. If anything, the sudden change in character he had during the Kanya Festival probably represents him much better than a lot of what we've seen from him so far.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
21:

Now all those remarks from the bowl-cut guy make sense--the one who kept challenging Satoshi at the Kanya festival.

So Hyouka has 24 episodes? MAL had me thinking we'd only get 21, which would have sucked since it was only a few episodes ago (at the conclusion of the Kanya festival arc) that the characters were starting to really interest me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:28:40 PM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline SQA

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
The original run was listed as 21, but I keep hearing it's 24 now.  Apparently the last story from the 3rd or 4th novel (whichever they're in) should cover 3 episodes.  So, 1 more arc?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »
21:

Well, Satoshi's more interesting than he looks. In fact, the previous arcs kinda fall into place after this episode since it sums up basically everything about him. He used to be more competitive before, but just not anymore. Perhaps not "competitive" per se; more like "passionate". Why doesn't he want to be as competitive or passionate as before is something only he would understand. Perhaps he just doesn't want to be that person who's never happy about anything except winning in one way or another.

Not sure if it's for the better or for the worse. He is who he is, I guess.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
21:

I assume most realized Satoshi did it pretty much immediately like I did, and what I liked was watching him as he played along, seeing on his face the fact he realized that he was't going to get away with it. Satoshi is more complex than 90% of the characters I see in anime, and I really like him too, even if I feel he's being stupid over his dilemma with Mayaka.

I am really enjoying this show now, and it only reinforces how I feel about Kyoto Animation as a studio.

Offline shiijin

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »
22: This is the last episode? REALLY? i'm not a fan of this ending. hopefully they're working on a second season as we speak, i really love Hyouka.

As far as the entire anime goes, i enjoyed every bit of it. i'm so surprised how they made such mundane mysteries such as "why did i get angry today?" so damn interesting. its a very unique concept that i felt was executed to absolute perfection. however, its very much a love it or hate it ordeal. i can imagine viewers screaming "THIS IS SO BORING! wheres the murders, crimes, etc.??" That wasn't the premise of this series, there are plenty of Mystery animes out there with such dark themes (a dime a dozen, if you ask me). My only complaints are that chitanda and oreki's relationship felt extremely static, and the ending was lame in my opinion. they should really rectify this by making a SECOND SEASON :)

9/10 i enjoyed every moment.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
Yep, that's the last episode.  Just like the three before it, they were just short side stories from the light novels.  BTW, Hyouka is selling well, so we'll probably get more at some point.  Arguably it isn't selling as well as it SHOULD, and probably isn't getting the recognition it deserves as an overall high quality anime.  I can't think of a single flaw to the series, whether it be writing, characters, music, animation, or even less tangible things like creativity.  There's a lot here to like.

I don't give 10s, but a 9 is an absolute for Hyouka.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
Definite 9.  Just an amazing show.  I always had to watch it quickly.  It's one of the few anime where it 1) felt like the real world and 2) felt like a world you wanted to live in.   Oh, and it also gave us the most awesome cultural festival ever put in an anime.

Can't really say enough about the writing and the direction on this series.  The pre-hype going into this series is that the source material was actually pretty weak.  So the staff, along with KyoAni's flare, really brought their A game to this one.  I've never enjoyed a show so much where very little actually happens.  And I'm going to miss my weekly dose of Chitanda's eyes.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »
I'm gonna miss this too. Gave it a 9. Had to get used to not getting dark/complicated mysteries and such, but once I got over that, I loved it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »
Final:

That was a beautiful episode. Literally, it's a visual spectacle that only Kyoto Animation can and would do. As for the whole mystery thing, I'm glad that it's not a zealous one (like back in the shed) and that it thematically complements the episode. At least the series knows for once how not to overdo things.

--

My thoughts on Hyouka:

I didn't get good vibes when I first watched the series. The first impression I got was basically how Kyoto Animation was trying to visually boasts for a series with a mundane and boring story about a group of students who want to play Sherlock Holmes. And, it didn't help me liking the show one bit when the characters kinda mirrored those from TMoHS in terms of their roles i.e. Houtarou = Kyon, Eru = Suzumiya, and Satoshi = Koizumi (okay, perhaps Mayaka doesn't really fit Nagato or Mikuru).

But then, I was proven wrong gradually and eventually. Indeed, for most parts Kyoto Animation continued to excessively show off its production budget and aesthetic abilities right to the end but the story got interesting whenever the group has a mystery to solve. It's especially when they tried to deduce and make sense of the mystery, does the show really become riveting. Plus, along the way, each character's idiosyncrasies get explored and from there I got to relate to them much better. The show does overdo with its mystery theme, sometimes to the point that they're doing it just because and become impractical as a result, and the group does get over-zealous sometimes but the show really knew how to narrate a great detective mystery.

It's a toss between a strong 7 and a weak 8 (can't really make up my mind). In the end, I will point out one thing: Kyoto Animation really did this title a favor. Can't imagine how things would turn out had it not been the production studio.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:49 PM »
22:

Holy cow, the last three minutes of this show was incredible. It seamlessly integrated all of the character development up to this point, from Chitanda's attempts to persuade people at the Student Festival (which a lot of people argued was the weakest part of that arc), to Satoshi's struggles with obsession and Oreki's development, and delivered a powerful ending to a masterful series.

Easily a candidate for the best show this year: I give it a 9.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »
22:

To be honest, I probably didn't get as much out of Hyouka as I could have. For a good half of the series, I kept getting disappointed at how mundane the plot was, but that was mainly due to unfair expectations of what this show would actually be like; I came in expecting another dark and complex type of mystery, and it took me a while to accept that that just wasn't what Hyouka was going for.

I give it a 7...maybe an 8. There are quire a few moments where the series tries too hard at something, such trying too hard to make plot engaging, or making the visuals appealing. But for the most part there isn't much to dislike.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:08:35 PM by Sorrows Neptune »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Up