Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 05:10:24 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nekomonogatari:Kuro  (Read 3266 times)

Offline KS

Re: Nekomonogatari:Kuro
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
The fourth part contained some of the worst written and redundant dialogue and just straight up awkward pandering yet.  I'm so relieved that's over.  I legitimately hate this cast of characters and save for the aesthetic appeal of their designs I found nothing redeeming about them whatsoever in the end or really even throughout.  I really do wish they'd killed each other off or something as a way to end their incessant nattering about the most mundane of concepts and how much they apparently want to hate**** each other.

Yeah that was an experience that leaves me itching to get back into the continuing fall season pronto.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »
I just spent the 1st day of January watching Karen Bee, the 2nd watching Tsuhiki Phoenix, and now today watching Tsubasa Family. I actually really liked Nisemonogatari, for all it's flaws, so not a bad start to 2013.

1-4:

The only episode that really struck me as Nise-like was the first, while the other 3 almost felt like they were straight out of Bake. It was much more plot driven and focused more on Hanekawa's problems, instead of a series of character interaction between Koyomi and the others, and like Ejecting Pilot put it, it was more captivating than entertaining. Plus there was much less gratitious fanservice, although that never really bothered me in the first place...which is weird because I usually dislike gratitious fanservice.

The story arc does a great job at expanding on the Hanekawa's problems introduced in Tsubasa Cat, and also clearly defines Koyomi's feelings towards her. It's been hinted quite a few times that Koyomi was an anti-social person who believed that "the more friends you have, the weaker you are as a person." Whatever it is that the two of them go through in Kizumonogatari, it allowed Koyomi to open up and have feelings towards Hanekawa. Since he doesn't have much experience with feeling emotions towards other people in general, it leaves him confused when he tries to sort out exactly what he feels towards Hanekawa; so even though the "what is love" discussion of episode 1 was stretched out longer than it could have been, it's still important to the plot.

Throughout the whole Black Hanekawa incident, he comes to the conclusion that he doesn't exactly love Tsubasa, but has an immense amount of respect for her anyways. It's because of her that he's now able to open up to people (sort of prepping him for his encounter with Hitagi) and because of that he's grateful to the point where he's willing to die for her, even if he wouldn't go so far as to marry her.

Or maybe he does love her, but still can't interpret his own emotions for shit. It could be either or, honestly. Then again, there's also the "I'm dating Hitagi and love Hanekawa" comments that he makes in Nisemonogatari, but who knows how seriously we're supposed to take those.

8/10. Can't wait for Kizumonogatari and Season 2.

Offline SQA

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:01:13 AM »
4:

This is actually a side point, but as I recently watched one of my favorite series, it really should have dawned one me sooner.  Bakemonogatari, more than Nise or Neko, was done more like "Shinbo does FLCL... with 1/2 the budget and 1/3rd the time".  Much of the way that they ended up handling a lot of the visual tricks like FLCL did.  Most of the sight-references weren't Otaku in nature but general memes, quite a number of the older type.  Mind you, a lot of NisiOisin's references in Bake were like that, as well.  Animation style changes, non-conventional styles at that, and, even, odd character poses.  Plus one of the strangest "love" stories you'll ever come across, period.   Which is also probably why the conversion of a very chatty Light Novel worked so well.

And it explains, in many ways, why Nise was such a different series.  It was much more of a "Light Novel" series.  There was lots of sitting and talking and about 3 episodes of actual story in 11.  That's most Light Novel adaptation problems, really.   Shinbo can only cover up so much, as that content was in Nise's book and that long.  Though if you add Nise's 11 episodes and Neko's 4, we get 15, which explains where those other episodes ended up going. 

Now, as for Nekomonogatari, I liked it quite a bit.  I liked it a bit more than Nise, especially as I liked Bakemonogatari the best, so far.  Hanekawa was always the interesting wrinkle in the storyline.  In almost all of the conventional series, she'd have been the "main girl".  We knew a lot, but actually seeing the details of her background made it hit home how different she is compared to the rest.  It also fits in with Senjougahara's explanation for her capabilities.  Plus, it explains the White Neko story's details.  If there's a tragic figure in this series, she's probably it.  Nekomonogatari just reinforces that view.

Though, like everything else NisiOisin does, Hanekawa also cuts an interesting path through one of those plot points that crops up a lot in Anime/Manga works, that likely hits close to home to most creators.  Being actually "supremely talented" in Japanese society is actually something of a curse growing up.  Conformity is the name of the game and the truly gifted will never conform.  So, normally the story line is the "woe is the truly talented", but here, Hanekawa is both a genius and a genius at conformity.  So, in some ways, the point is it's not just "non-conformists break down those around them", it's that anyone that's truly talented will damage those around them.  An interesting idea, really. 

Oh, and the "beating Black Hanekawa" scene was a little different in flashback during Bakemonogatari, though I'm not sure this book had been written at that point.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »
Final:

Now that was a great climatic ending.

Can't really complain about anything in particular about it, except that the whole Heart Beneath weapon thing felt like a solution pulled straight out of the ass mouth. Have to admit that that's a deus ex machina right there. But I have to give it to the series for the typical foolish chance that Araragi took to get rid of the Curse Cat. It's just typically Araragi to do something like that (not gonna spoil it for anyone).

And you know what? I love how the story tied it straight to the start of Bakemonogatari. That's just good closure.

--

My thoughts on Nekomonagatari:

To be honest, I was afraid that this special would go down the same path as Nisemonogatari, where the focus was more on the frilly side dialogue rather than the actual plot and the Oddity at hand. Luckily, that part is minimal and the main focus was indeed Hanekawa's Cursed Cat Oddity after all. And fortunately, the arc is aptly 4 episodes long which is just right for a single arc, unlike Nise which was 2-part 1 arc for a single cour. The exploration on Hanekawa's background was commendable -- although I'd wish that what Araragi saw in her home was explicitly explained -- and the ending, well, can't criticize anything in particular about it.

It's a weak 8/10 for me. Not exactly on par with Bakemonogatari, but it's definitely much better than Nisemonogatari.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »
4:

I really love this franchise.

This was really a clever ending to the special, especially the tie in to Bakemonogatari.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Ejecting Pilot

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »
Pretty excited for Kizu and the next season. Especially after this special. Everyone in the cast in the bee's knees and Hanekawa is no exception. Her exposition added dimension to the story, including Tsubasa Cat in Bake. While playing an almost omniscient megane, she fractures underneath her circumstances and becomes Black Hanekawa. I can't quite figure what it is exactly but her character seems much more alive after watching Nekomonogatari. Anyway, stoped for everything monogatari.

Offline Cadavera

• Cadavera's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
although I'd wish that what Araragi saw in her home was explicitly explained -- and the ending, well, can't criticize anything in particular about it.

Hanekawa's things were shown to be strewn all over the peripherals of the house. Her futon is in a hallway -
Spoiler for Hiden:
and she sleeps there.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
I am relieved that only the first episode was frivolous, sure they had that scene in the second episode that took away from the tension, but on the whole the episodes were so much better.

Overall I'm going to give this a strong 7. It had a weak beginning and I did at times think it was straying into pretentiousness, but it was solid, and so much better than Nisemonogatari.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up