Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:09:48 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Senki Zesshou Symphogear  (Read 9056 times)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Senki Zesshou Symphogear
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 06:12:55 PM »
Man, Symphogear and Guilty Crown are trying really hard to out-dumb each other every week. I love it. This week's Symphogear doesn't have one moment quite as dumb as the last few seconds of this week's Guilty Crown (although the quick friendship is maybe a tier or two below), but the totality of dumb puts Symphogear ahead. What will Guilty Crown do to strike back??

Symphogear isn't even stupid in a funny way like Guilty Crown used to be (I say used to because these days...), it's the irritating kind. I don't think that Guilty Crown will ever be able to be more irritatingly stupid. Also, if I were to start classifying stupidity, then Guilty Crown's stupidity would be lie with the plot devices, the absurd plot, and Shu. Symphogear's stupidity lies in it's setting, the character interactions, the plot, and the characters themselves... in fact I can't think of what it does right.

The only show that I can think of that totally outclasses this show in the stupidity area is Infinite Stratos from last year, and it's stupidity lay mostly in the setting. My god you know it's bad when you have to say Infinite Stratos (and indeed Guilty Crown) had more genuine (and less stupid) character interactions than this.

Perhaps when this is all over, someone might right an article where we have a face-off between the two shows to conclude which is the most stupid, and every single (notable) stupid thing is mentioned in each of the categories Setting, Plot, Characters, Other. Might turn into a group activity like it did with Infinite Stratos.

Wow. I didn't start this yet and was actually considering doing so...but I can handle Guilty Crown, for it's dumbness it's still fun to watch. Is this really THAT bad? O.o.
Let's see... Watch the first episode, then drop it. You might like the first episode, it wasn't that bad, but from there it's like a plummet into shitville.

Offline Rachellular

• psychichica578's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with rachellular578 using Skype
    • @Rachellular

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »
6:
Tsubasa was the only thing I liked about this show and now all of a sudden shes ok with Hibiki. They've even ruined her.

The fight sequence made me laugh.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »
7:

...I wonder what kind of tsundere Chris is.

Offline Marcomax

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
I'm guessing a dead one as of now.

Right now I'm just tuning in for the action. Other then that there isn't much here for me. Though it's weird to see politics pop up hear as well.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
This show makes me lol as much as Guilty Crown. The breaking down of friendship is so hilarious.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
8:

You know, Chris is pretty much the Accelerator of Symphogear. Grumpy, full of pent up rage but very much harmless. In other words, a badass that's not badass and thus, I can't find it in me to hate her. The only thing she's missing is a morality pet, her very own Last Order.

If there is an award for Best Comedy, this show should win it... for better or worse.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »
8:

I liked this episode better than the previous ones, because the characters were less irritating, and the pacing was markedly better. I never really hated Chris, for some reason I always find myself sort of liking at least one character from any series (yes, there are the occasional exception, but I even found one in School Days), and in this show, it's Chris. Have you noticed how in the ED, it's Chris walking along, and not the main character or anyone else? I don't know why, but for some reason this intrigues me, why would they do that? I'm most likely putting too much thought into this since the reason will probably be shallow, if there is a reason.

No, Chris isn't a good character, but I find her much less annoying than everyone else. When I say like, I also need to mention that I mean this comparatively, but of course this still means I like them more whilst watching the episode.

Anyway, the episode was less irritating, but it was still stupid, the relationship got fixed as stupidly as it got broken, and yet again, the setting continues to bug me.

Why? Well, I've mentioned this before, but if the Noise come along fairly frequently, and they go around killing people upon touch, then surely, I don't know.... people would be more cautious about going out? Wouldn't they have a siren or something to warn of their approach? It seems that the only warning people get is the fact screaming starts. Also, it seems that they don't go inside buildings, though as the episode highlights, they wouldn't have any trouble getting inside, but until this episode, we haven't seen the Noise break into peoples houses and massacre them, and in this episode it only happened as a plot device. Isn't that a bit strange? They may not be intelligent, but even so.... perhaps they are just punishing the idiots that go out casually despite the critical and frequent threat they face from doing so. Strange how no one in Hibiki's class has been killed yet isn't it?

Anyway, I've posted far too much. Let's see where this goes from here.

Offline Marcomax

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
Wow Chris is still alive, I should of guessed but oh well.

It was a nice episode but there's something else I want to talk about. I was watching the first episode again on niconico. I completely forgotten that Kanade dies in the end. It just strikes me as an odd thing to forget after all this time.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
It was a nice episode but there's something else I want to talk about. I was watching the first episode again on niconico. I completely forgotten that Kanade dies in the end. It just strikes me as an odd thing to forget after all this time.

You know, now that I think about, Kanade barely has any importance to the plot. Her only purpose in the show was to act as a decoy protoganist, and give Tsubasa a reason to angst. For the most part the only character who actually talks about her death is Tsubasa, so I can see how you'd forget about it.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
9:

Damn it, I have got to the stage where I don't hate the show anymore. It's not as bad as it used to be, but more importantly, I can't bring myself to see how stupid it is anymore. I won't be rating this a 2 like I thought, it'll be a 3 most likely, unless it really offends me in the last few episodes, which I actually want it to do, because I feel it would have made watching the show worth it.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
9:

This show isn't in the same category as Guilty Shit, Amagami Super Shit Plus and Black Rock Shit. Those shows are shit, but this show's just derpy. Derpy in more ways than one :V

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »
9:

Damn it, I have got to the stage where I don't hate the show anymore. It's not as bad as it used to be, but more importantly, I can't bring myself to see how stupid it is anymore. I won't be rating this a 2 like I thought, it'll be a 3 most likely, unless it really offends me in the last few episodes, which I actually want it to do, because I feel it would have made watching the show worth it.

I don't think it was ever that bad. It's poorly made, and everything is dumb, but it's at least earnest, and it's not pretending to be super deep or anything.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
I don't think it was ever that bad. It's poorly made, and everything is dumb, but it's at least earnest, and it's not pretending to be super deep or anything.

Now that you've said it, I can really see what you mean. This episode you could see they were trying so hard, and now I don't hate it for how silly it is, I have to say I smiled quite a bit at it's silliness. I have become quite fond of the show in a way, even though the integration of Chris into the team was really poorly done, I couldn't help but smile. The characters I used to hate for their irrational or just stupid behaviour, their massive change in personalities, I have become fond of them too, even though they were pissing me off majorly just 3 episodes ago.

From now on, if I know a show is bad, but it isn't irritating me, I think I should stop judging it and try to become fond of it like I have with this, it'll make my viewing experience so much more enjoyable.

Edit: In retrospect, I realize that's exactly what I've been doing with Guilty Crown....

Anyway, I am starting to like the ED, not so much the art in the background, it's a bit symbolic for such a stupid show, but the music has grown on me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:13:10 PM by Fumoffu!! »

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
10:

*wonders what's up with the Engrish*

*wonders why them soldiers didn't just spray bullets while she was trash-talking*

*wonders what kind of Dragonball martial arts the dude uses*

*wonders why seeing Noise dropping out of those motherships reminds me more of gummy bears dropping from the sky*

*wonders if Chris is just a gun-wieldin' tsundere*

*wonde-*

PHWOAR----!!

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 09:16:02 AM »
11:

I'M GOING TO DESTROY THE ****ING MOON BITCHES!!

I laughed so hard. Oh god this show is stupid as hell, and I love it for it now. Bring on the last episode, where I'm hoping my resident favourite character, Chris, manages to survive using her swan song that is supposedly fatal (until it wasn't), and also being hit by a ****ing laser that took a chunk off the moon. No matter, tis only a flesh wound.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:52:57 PM by Fumoffu!! »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up