Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 16, 2017, 08:50:03 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill Me Baby  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Kill Me Baby
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
9:

One of the funnier episodes, I laughed several times actually, particularly at the "It shoots beams" moment. I'm surprised at how the show has managed to avoid being too tiresome.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
9:

The humor, for me, is basically from either Yasuna or Agiri.  Since Sonya plays the "straight man" or the tsukkomi, there's very little she can do besides physical gags.  To her credit, Yasuna manages to up the ante nearly every episode on just how annoying she can be to Sonya.  She's almost pathological, and quite possibly a masochist.

Agiri just adds random humor, and is used sparringly enough that it doesn't get boring.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 07:13:16 PM »
10:

DADDY SHOT SONYA-CHAN!  WAAAAHHHH!!!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
Final:

WELP. That's about it.

--

My thoughts on Kill Me Baby:

This show is cute. Yasuna's cute for her trolling and idiocy. Sonya's cute for her violent responses and childish weaknesses. Everything about this show is cute. But that's the problem: it's just cute. It's not funny at all. If someone comes up to me and says that this show's funny, I would think that his comment is funny instead. It uses the boke-tsukkomi gag to death, and everything just gets predictable as soon as episode 2. Yasuna comes up with something stupid just to punk Sonya, Sonya sees through her plan and Yasuna gets owned. And sometimes, Sonya gets owned because of her naïveté too. So what's new?

And then, there's the issue on Agiri and the Unused Character. What do the two even add to the show, anyway? Agiri's trolling never works; in fact, she's not even a real troll. She just does random things just because. And for the Unused Character... well... why? Just because, too? It's amusing how she's voiced by Kugimiya and all, but other than that, really what for?

It's a 4/10. It doesn't fail horribly only because of Yasuna's antics. But it's a good thing that it's only 1 cour. If it's two, then I have no idea how I would keep up with it.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 06:29:27 AM »
13:

I thought it was pretty funny at certain points, and was surprised how touching I found that last scene, it did it well actually, it didn't go all the way with the Cerebus Syndrome, but it provided us with a little look at the end with how Sonya actually values Yasuna.

The Series

From episodes 3-8, it was very tiresome, but it did improve slightly towards the very end. I thought I was going to give this a 3 half way through, but I think, since it's made me laugh at points, I'll give it a 4. Thank god it was only 1 cour though.

Average of the season so far: 4.9

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
You two are high.  Kill Me Baby isn't the funniest show in the universe, but it knows what it is and does it well.  It doesn't try to overcomplicate things with flashier animation or style and it doesn't do anything serious which would ruin the mood.  It is what it is.

And I laughed at it.  A couple of episodes were really weak and not funny, but after a while Yasuna's unending attempts at getting Sonya's goat became endearing.  She became the definition of insanity, constantly doing the same thing but expecting a different result.  In this case, not expecting Sonya to nearly murder her.

This is at least a 6, if for nothing else than OH GOD THAT OP/ED.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
Okay, the ED is permanently saved to my phone so I can view it, I think it's astounding in it's own way, as is the OP in it's own way, but I will stick to the 4. It got tiresome, most of the jokes feel flat, and for a few episodes I felt that I was going out my way to watch it, which means I was very close to dropping it.  4 isn't a terrible rating for me though, I think it suits it fine, though I will admit I found the two endearing as it neared the end.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 03:43:30 AM »
I have to agree with TIF.  The show wasn't complicated, but it knew what it was and did it competently.  Whilst it wasn't as funny as high school boys, it maintained a consistent level of amusement throughout the run.  I'm giving it a 6 as well.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up