Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 10:02:33 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Senki Zesshou Symphogear  (Read 9085 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Senki Zesshou Symphogear
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »
My God, this is Mahou Shoujo Macross.  I have literally no other way to describe it. 

The directing is an absolute mess so I'm not cofident that this will amount to much, but it should serve as modest eye candy until the money runs out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:39:24 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Senki Zesshou Symphogear
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
1:

Wow, that was hilarious at times. I just couldn't take it seriously at all. Good dance scenes though. The setting requires a hell of a lot of explaining if I'm to take it seriously,

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
1:

MAN THAT WAS DERPY

How else am I supposed to describe this show? It's Mahou Shoujo Macross, and if you can see it from the onset, yet another Nana Mizuki career vehicle ŕ la Blood-C. Yes, the initial dance scene was pretty sweet but the rest of the episode was just messy. Haphazard pacing, cheesy "Name that Move" sequences, derpy villain designs...

...well, there's bound to be this kind of show in every anime season, isn't there.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »
1:

Wasn't that bad.

Mahou Shoujo Macross is an okay term for it.  Definitely a frenetic pace for a first episode, with the "future" scene probably the most unnecessary part of it.  Still, it's interesting.  Reminds me of Aquarion in a lot of ways, especially the campyness of certain scenes.  I didn't see anything in particular that I thought was really stupid or annoying tho.  More time needed.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »
Seeing how it's about pop idols who use their music in order to fight aliens, I was prepared to not take it too seriously, but...well, I just had a hard time taking it seriously at all. I think the problem is that they took a silly concept and put it into a dark atmosphere, without first giving us a chance to get used to the silly concept.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
1:

It made me excited to see what will happen next, which makes it good enough in my books.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »
2:

I don't like the music very much, also, I don't think it's appropriate battle music, it just feels odd when it's played with the fighting. The timing for the soundtrack was pretty bad in general, at 15:30, when she says "That all went over my head", the most obtrusive music starts playing, and then cuts off.

The protagonist is pretty annoying, I don't know whether it's just from me being genre savvy, but I swear the explanation wasn't confusing at all (although it was total bollocks, the amount of holes I could poke in that idea...), and also, would it really be that confusing as to what's going on? Love how the child just got distracted from impending death enough to comment on how the Symphogear "looks cool".

Next, I hate it when characters say lines referring animes like "She's just like a girl in an anime" (that didn't even make sense, why would she say that at that particular point?) or "He's not from an anime you know", I don't get it, it annoys me, pet hate right there.

Next, if these Noise things had been around for any length of time, then it's safe to say that the entire infrastructure of the cities and buildings would be different, but for some reason people are perfectly happy exposing themselves to a danger that can and does regularly kill people:

Politician A: "These Noise things have struck and killed again! We need to defend the citizens of our country! Let's fortify the houses and make barricades and evacuation shelters everywhere so we can evacuate people from affected areas"
Politician B: "How much would this cost?"
Politician A: "Of course it'd cost trillions of yen, but this is the biggest threat to our citizens and indeed our country ever, and we need to defend them, why'd they vote us in power if they didn't want us to protect them?"
Politician B: "They voted for us because we gave tax breaks for the rich silly! Anyway, we don't have the money, because we're building a massive concert hall, and besides, people can protect themselves"
Politician A: "But NOONE CAN FIGHT THESE THINGS!!"
Politician B: "Oh you, stop exaggerating"

Elsewhere, in town:

Citizen A: "I'm not sure I want to be on the streets, with these sporadic and fatal attacks by the noise"
Citizen B: "**** them, you know what they say, it'll never happen to me! I'll be driving like usual, exposing myself to the danger without a care in the world!"
Citizen A: "If you weren't so stupid, I would have thought you were being sarcastic"

There's all that. But at least we have some Yuri vibes going on.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:42:14 PM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
2:

In 3 points:

- Basically, this show is about the Good Guys versus the Bad Guys. Or specifically for this case, it would mean Music versus Noise. Oh yeah, how straightforward can it get. Let's not discuss how something can be music to some people but noise to others; that's kind of rational talk would kill the fun :U

- You know what's the most amazing aspects of the Valkyries? They sing so well when they're jumping from structure to structure, taking hard blows and whipping out those PHWOAR moves. That kind of voice control can put veteran singers to shame; it's amazing.

- Hibiki is actually Tony Stark in Japanese high school girl mode. And she doesn't even need a heart regulator to stay alive. *MINDBLOWN*

Offline Rachellular

• psychichica578's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with rachellular578 using Skype
    • @Rachellular

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »
1:

I went into this fully expecting to hate it, but i actually ended up sort of enjoying this. I really liked the dance sequence and the concert.

I think I'm going to check out episode 2 later today, who knows if I'll continue to like it, but so far its been fun.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:23:30 AM »
2:

I thought this episode was a lot better than the first one. It was still bad, but for some reason it felt more tolerable.

Next, I hate it when characters say lines referring animes like "She's just like a girl in an anime" (that didn't even make sense, why would she say that at that particular point?) or "He's not from an anime you know", I don't get it, it annoys me, pet hate right there.

Isn't poorly executed meta-comedy pretty common in anime?

Offline Rachellular

• @Rachellular

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
2:

I hate when anime characters do the whole "She's just like a girl in an anime" thing too. It's like *facepalm*

I really like the music when its not battle music. Hibiki also was a bit too happy for me and I thought she agreed to fight way too quickly. Also her like one...lame kick at the end, she was like really excited about it. But I like Tsubasa alot, she didn't really do much, but for some reason I'm interested in her character.

- You know what's the most amazing aspects of the Valkyries? They sing so well when they're jumping from structure to structure, taking hard blows and whipping out those PHWOAR moves. That kind of voice control can put veteran singers to shame; it's amazing.

Yeah...about that. It's super awkward when they battle and sing at the same time. As a singer I am "impressed". It's freaking impossible to keep up that sort of breath support while getting slammed into walls and falling everywhere.

It's a fairly cute show though even with the weirdness, I'll stick out for a bit longer.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »
3:

Jesus Christ, someone forgot to pay the animators for this episode.  Some serious "derp" in that scene with Tsukasa walking with the Manager.

Offline Rachellular

• @Rachellular

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
3:

WHY DO I STILL LIKE THIS SHOW?!

Hibiki is SO annoying and she has no idea how to read social situations!

I still like Tsubasa, oh well i think its a short anime, its worth it for her plot line.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
3:

WHY DO I STILL LIKE THIS SHOW?!

Hibiki is SO annoying and she has no idea how to read social situations!

I still like Tsubasa, oh well i think its a short anime, its worth it for her plot line.

I don't, I have the same thoughts, the characters are annoying as hell. I want to punch them repeatedly in the face, the blue haired one as well. I will categorically state that Rinne no Lagranne is better than Symphogear by a very substantial factor, and I don't even like it that much.

You can already see how much the animation has already dived here as well, it's painful at times, for example, when viewed from the side, blue's hair bobs up and down in a very repetitive way, but viewed from the front her hair doesn't bob at all! MIRACULOUS I SAY!!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
3:

You know, it's fine if it features one meta-comment but it really gets old if it does the same thing again. Not to mention, by doing so it's trying too hard to poke fun at itself, especially when it's already trying too hard to begin with. The animation is just derpy, the characters are just annoying and/or unbelievable (a man just stopped Heaven's Wrath with his fist, for God sake), and the whole action is just silly. I mean, correct me if I'm incorrect, but did I just see a Noise monster in the shape of grapes?

Well, at least I learned one thing from Symphogear: "When you sing a lot, you get really hungry." Last words from a dying heroine. True Story.

DROPPED.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
3:

Jesus Christ, someone forgot to pay the animators for this episode.  Some serious "derp" in that scene with Tsukasa walking with the Manager.

lol this ****ing show lol

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
Well, at least it's still better than the DVD "corrections" made to Musashi Gundoh.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
Thanks for linking those Shin.  For the rest of you who haven't watched Symphogear, the crappiness of those scenes is NOT because someone doesn't know how to make a fluid gif file.  That's what the on air animation was like.  It was THAT bad.

It didn't end there, either.  See if you can find me some Black Face Hibiki.  That was hilariouslybad.

Offline Rachellular

• @Rachellular

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
4:

Suddenly this is extremely intense and serious? Well as seriuous as a show like this can be.

Sort of enjoyed the back story, didn't care for the fanservice-y things. Also nice ending training sequence XD and Miku hiding in the bushes randomly?

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »
"So is this show supposed to be bad?"
"Not unless the creators are trolling me and everyone else."

(A conversation between my brother and I.)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:22 AM »
3:

My god this show is shit. Just comprehending how shit it is makes me gawk. Seriously, it's a toss up between this and Kill Me Baby for the worst show I'm currently watching. I think this comes off worse off for now.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »
So..stop watching? O.o.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
Are you high?  Bad anime are to be treasured!

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
3:

I'm shelving this to balance out my list when I decide to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, I have a confession to make: I have picked up this show once again. Why am I doing this to myself? Who knows; I amaze myself sometimes.

5:

You know what's missing from the Hibiki training scenes? Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger". Yeah, that would really make the show awesome... in a comical way.

But yeah, if there's anything to love about Symphogear, it's the whole derpy aspect of it all and how I love to just hate this show. The eardrum-poking Engrish, the SM bondage thing going on, the Tsubasa/Kanade melo-dorama, the scene where Hibiki/Ryouko's bodyguard cars fly into the sky like confetti, and shit. It's hilarious. Don't even know what to feel about Ryouko succeeding in taking out the revolutionaries and get the briefcase by herself; it's just like how Guilty Crown's Inori took out those students in the previous episode: derpy.

Speaking of which, watching Guilty Crown and Symphogear one after another gave me this indescribable feeling of... I don't know... epicness?

Offline Rachellular

• @Rachellular

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 12:45:26 AM »
5:

oh....Symphogear how you make no sense. Almost died laughing at the Engrish and the amazing amount of fan-service this episode. I love when they try to be scientific and political and I'm like dude, these characters fight stuff by singing...poorly I might add. Are the Noise controlled by people? I think I missed something with that...It is so beyond ridiculous...  but you know every time I watch this, I am like..."why am I watching this" and SOMEHOW I come back every week.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
6:

DAT FIGHT SCENE. Cringeworthy at its best.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
6:

So, after all that hate, the action of pointing out (in a polite way) that her room was really messy just made it all disappear.

It's just an example of how this show fails at even the most basic things, the relationship between the two of them just changed, for no reason whatsoever. You can't just do that and expect the viewer to go "glad they sorted out their differences". The fights fail, the dialogue fails, the characters fail badly, and the animation looks more derpy than it should. I know the budget was mostly blown on that first episode, but the way they make some of the scenes look so cheap is appalling. Thanks god we haven't had a repeat of that horrendous walking scene. Did they think that no-one would notice that? Did they really look at it and go: "I think that'll fool them"?

This looks to be a 2 for sure.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
Man, Symphogear and Guilty Crown are trying really hard to out-dumb each other every week. I love it. This week's Symphogear doesn't have one moment quite as dumb as the last few seconds of this week's Guilty Crown (although the quick friendship is maybe a tier or two below), but the totality of dumb puts Symphogear ahead. What will Guilty Crown do to strike back??

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »
Wow. I didn't start this yet and was actually considering doing so...but I can handle Guilty Crown, for it's dumbness it's still fun to watch. Is this really THAT bad? O.o.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 06:12:55 PM »
Man, Symphogear and Guilty Crown are trying really hard to out-dumb each other every week. I love it. This week's Symphogear doesn't have one moment quite as dumb as the last few seconds of this week's Guilty Crown (although the quick friendship is maybe a tier or two below), but the totality of dumb puts Symphogear ahead. What will Guilty Crown do to strike back??

Symphogear isn't even stupid in a funny way like Guilty Crown used to be (I say used to because these days...), it's the irritating kind. I don't think that Guilty Crown will ever be able to be more irritatingly stupid. Also, if I were to start classifying stupidity, then Guilty Crown's stupidity would be lie with the plot devices, the absurd plot, and Shu. Symphogear's stupidity lies in it's setting, the character interactions, the plot, and the characters themselves... in fact I can't think of what it does right.

The only show that I can think of that totally outclasses this show in the stupidity area is Infinite Stratos from last year, and it's stupidity lay mostly in the setting. My god you know it's bad when you have to say Infinite Stratos (and indeed Guilty Crown) had more genuine (and less stupid) character interactions than this.

Perhaps when this is all over, someone might right an article where we have a face-off between the two shows to conclude which is the most stupid, and every single (notable) stupid thing is mentioned in each of the categories Setting, Plot, Characters, Other. Might turn into a group activity like it did with Infinite Stratos.

Wow. I didn't start this yet and was actually considering doing so...but I can handle Guilty Crown, for it's dumbness it's still fun to watch. Is this really THAT bad? O.o.
Let's see... Watch the first episode, then drop it. You might like the first episode, it wasn't that bad, but from there it's like a plummet into shitville.

Offline Rachellular

• @Rachellular

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »
6:
Tsubasa was the only thing I liked about this show and now all of a sudden shes ok with Hibiki. They've even ruined her.

The fight sequence made me laugh.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »
7:

...I wonder what kind of tsundere Chris is.

Offline Marcomax

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
I'm guessing a dead one as of now.

Right now I'm just tuning in for the action. Other then that there isn't much here for me. Though it's weird to see politics pop up hear as well.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
This show makes me lol as much as Guilty Crown. The breaking down of friendship is so hilarious.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
8:

You know, Chris is pretty much the Accelerator of Symphogear. Grumpy, full of pent up rage but very much harmless. In other words, a badass that's not badass and thus, I can't find it in me to hate her. The only thing she's missing is a morality pet, her very own Last Order.

If there is an award for Best Comedy, this show should win it... for better or worse.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »
8:

I liked this episode better than the previous ones, because the characters were less irritating, and the pacing was markedly better. I never really hated Chris, for some reason I always find myself sort of liking at least one character from any series (yes, there are the occasional exception, but I even found one in School Days), and in this show, it's Chris. Have you noticed how in the ED, it's Chris walking along, and not the main character or anyone else? I don't know why, but for some reason this intrigues me, why would they do that? I'm most likely putting too much thought into this since the reason will probably be shallow, if there is a reason.

No, Chris isn't a good character, but I find her much less annoying than everyone else. When I say like, I also need to mention that I mean this comparatively, but of course this still means I like them more whilst watching the episode.

Anyway, the episode was less irritating, but it was still stupid, the relationship got fixed as stupidly as it got broken, and yet again, the setting continues to bug me.

Why? Well, I've mentioned this before, but if the Noise come along fairly frequently, and they go around killing people upon touch, then surely, I don't know.... people would be more cautious about going out? Wouldn't they have a siren or something to warn of their approach? It seems that the only warning people get is the fact screaming starts. Also, it seems that they don't go inside buildings, though as the episode highlights, they wouldn't have any trouble getting inside, but until this episode, we haven't seen the Noise break into peoples houses and massacre them, and in this episode it only happened as a plot device. Isn't that a bit strange? They may not be intelligent, but even so.... perhaps they are just punishing the idiots that go out casually despite the critical and frequent threat they face from doing so. Strange how no one in Hibiki's class has been killed yet isn't it?

Anyway, I've posted far too much. Let's see where this goes from here.

Offline Marcomax

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
Wow Chris is still alive, I should of guessed but oh well.

It was a nice episode but there's something else I want to talk about. I was watching the first episode again on niconico. I completely forgotten that Kanade dies in the end. It just strikes me as an odd thing to forget after all this time.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
It was a nice episode but there's something else I want to talk about. I was watching the first episode again on niconico. I completely forgotten that Kanade dies in the end. It just strikes me as an odd thing to forget after all this time.

You know, now that I think about, Kanade barely has any importance to the plot. Her only purpose in the show was to act as a decoy protoganist, and give Tsubasa a reason to angst. For the most part the only character who actually talks about her death is Tsubasa, so I can see how you'd forget about it.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
9:

Damn it, I have got to the stage where I don't hate the show anymore. It's not as bad as it used to be, but more importantly, I can't bring myself to see how stupid it is anymore. I won't be rating this a 2 like I thought, it'll be a 3 most likely, unless it really offends me in the last few episodes, which I actually want it to do, because I feel it would have made watching the show worth it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
9:

This show isn't in the same category as Guilty Shit, Amagami Super Shit Plus and Black Rock Shit. Those shows are shit, but this show's just derpy. Derpy in more ways than one :V

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »
9:

Damn it, I have got to the stage where I don't hate the show anymore. It's not as bad as it used to be, but more importantly, I can't bring myself to see how stupid it is anymore. I won't be rating this a 2 like I thought, it'll be a 3 most likely, unless it really offends me in the last few episodes, which I actually want it to do, because I feel it would have made watching the show worth it.

I don't think it was ever that bad. It's poorly made, and everything is dumb, but it's at least earnest, and it's not pretending to be super deep or anything.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
I don't think it was ever that bad. It's poorly made, and everything is dumb, but it's at least earnest, and it's not pretending to be super deep or anything.

Now that you've said it, I can really see what you mean. This episode you could see they were trying so hard, and now I don't hate it for how silly it is, I have to say I smiled quite a bit at it's silliness. I have become quite fond of the show in a way, even though the integration of Chris into the team was really poorly done, I couldn't help but smile. The characters I used to hate for their irrational or just stupid behaviour, their massive change in personalities, I have become fond of them too, even though they were pissing me off majorly just 3 episodes ago.

From now on, if I know a show is bad, but it isn't irritating me, I think I should stop judging it and try to become fond of it like I have with this, it'll make my viewing experience so much more enjoyable.

Edit: In retrospect, I realize that's exactly what I've been doing with Guilty Crown....

Anyway, I am starting to like the ED, not so much the art in the background, it's a bit symbolic for such a stupid show, but the music has grown on me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:13:10 PM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
10:

*wonders what's up with the Engrish*

*wonders why them soldiers didn't just spray bullets while she was trash-talking*

*wonders what kind of Dragonball martial arts the dude uses*

*wonders why seeing Noise dropping out of those motherships reminds me more of gummy bears dropping from the sky*

*wonders if Chris is just a gun-wieldin' tsundere*

*wonde-*

PHWOAR----!!

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 09:16:02 AM »
11:

I'M GOING TO DESTROY THE ****ING MOON BITCHES!!

I laughed so hard. Oh god this show is stupid as hell, and I love it for it now. Bring on the last episode, where I'm hoping my resident favourite character, Chris, manages to survive using her swan song that is supposedly fatal (until it wasn't), and also being hit by a ****ing laser that took a chunk off the moon. No matter, tis only a flesh wound.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:52:57 PM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
11:

Wait, if Sakurai aims to destory the moon, wouldn't that mess up Earth's entire gravitational equilibirum and **** up mankind? If everyone's dead, then what is she left to rule?

What am I thinking? I should be talking about this:

You just have to aim at the softest part of the body, don't you. Who would've thought of bullet-stopping boobs, huh. Who would've.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »
13:

I was right! Chris survived the laser that took a massive chunk off the moon, she's lucky isn't she? Back in my day that'd be kinda fatal. There's the scene where Fine pulls the fragment of the moon down, I sort of thought to myself that the show is so stupid that I wouldn't complain, but that was...

Look, let's ignore the fact that she managed to make that chunk of the moon fall in the first place, assuming the moon fell at the speed she pulled it, it would take ages for the moon to crash. The moon is close astronomically, but it's still 384,000km. Even if she pulled it to a speed of 1 km/s, it would still have taken a significant amount of time to start burning in the atmosphere, like over half a year. To get it burning in 3 minutes... she must have been dragging it at 2000 km/s. If that had hit the Earth, it would be so ****ed it's not even worth explaining.

Okay, let's say that piece of the moon was about 1/8 if the size of the moon, so about 9.2x1021 kg, she pulled it at around 2000km/s. So it would have a kinetic energy of 1/2 mv2, so about 2.84 x 1035 Joules of energy. The power of the sun is 3.939×1025J/s, so she just outdid the sun by a factor of a 100 million. Wow, those Symphogears are powerful.

It seems the series didn't have the stomach to kill Hibiki, so it turns out that they just hid her, Tsubasa and Chris from Miku. My god they are awful. 3 months they told her that her friend died, and then they casually go... okay, she can know now.... If I were Miku I'd be really pissed off. Hibiki doesn't seem to even comprehend she just ****ed over her fried emotionally for 3 months, and it's all smiles. What the hell?

The Series

If I was to say that there was one word that summed up this series, many people would give their guesses, but I imagine they would all approximate to this: Stupid.

I started liking the show for it's earnest stupidity towards the end, but it's so truly terrible it makes Guilty Crown look better. This is unusual for me to do whilst summing up a series, but I will now list how stupid it was in various areas:

Setting
  • So the Noise come along frequently, attack people, killing them upon touching them, and wreck havoc. Large death tolls every time. If this happened, first of all the population would be much lower than usual, secondly people would be much more hesitant about leaving the house and going outside, say I lived there:
Me "I fancy taking a walk through the streets today, so I can look at the pretty flowers and the buildings"
Someone "But what about the Noise? If there'a an attack whilst you're outside, you'll probably die, and they attacked 3 times last week".
Me: "Hmmm, you make a good point, much as I like walking, I like living more... I guess I won't go out unless necessary."

• WHY THE **** DO THEY LIVE THERE ANYWAY? Quite clearly the Noise attack there more than most places. Perhaps they can't afford to move because their house prices crashed.
  • A: "So, where do we establish a secret base? Be aware we need to construct a massive underground tower for no reason as well...." B: "I know, since Tsubasa needs to go to school, why not have it under the school?" A:"GENIUS!!"
  • The underground tower had a secret use for Fine, but for everyone else, what was it's purpose? Aesthetics?
  • More stuff about the worlds lax attitude to the curse of the noise. Apparently they've actually been around for some, yet everyone is still surprised by them, and all the world has to offer in defense are a couple of powered up highschool girls? ><

Characters
  • "You're just like a girl from an anime"/"If this was an anime"/"This isn't an anime" girl was annoying at the beginning, though towards the end I found her stupid failed meta comments almost endearing.
  • I found Hibiki "I preach my shit to everyone" Tachibana to be rather annoying at times, especially when at the end she was preaching shit to Fine about random crap that was a waste of effort since she was the bad guy.
  • "You have the shards that were in Kanade! YOU'RE TRYING TO TAKE HER PLACE!!! I HATE YOU"
  • "I hate you, but you've just pointed out how messy my room is. Okay, I like you now."
  • "We can't be friends anymore because of... urm... you keep missing classes and you're being secretive!"
  • In a better series, Chris would get a lot of mentions, but here she's the most understandable and reasonable character by far.
Plot
  • I'M GOING TO DESTROY THE ****ING MOON BITCHES!!
  • I wonder who Fine is? She has a secret identity, but who could it be? It's Ryoko?!?! OMG, SURPRISED!!
  • Chris "I'll make peace by beating the crap out of those who fight!"
  • Exceeding the power of the sun by a factor of a billion.

Art and Animation

The Music
  • I quite liked the ED.

If I were to rate the quality, it'd be 2, but I feel like giving it a 3 because I quite enjoyed it towards the end. Since I hated it up til episode 8, I'll give it a 2.

Average of the season so far: 4.7, only Mirai Nikki to go, which has pissed me off by ending two weeks later than everything else.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:34:12 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline SQA

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
So, Fumoffu, we can say this series pretty nearly broke you?

Yeah, the series was stupid, but I popped back in for the last few episodes.  It got earnest in its stupidity.  It also managed to toss about 150 episodes of shounen power ups in roughly 2 episodes.  That's pretty cool, if hilarious.  This series might be one of the most elaborate parodies ever created.  Or just done by people that didn't know what they were doing.  And we'll probably get another run of Mahou Shoujo Senshi Naruto Macross Xenogear Witches next season with AKB0048, this time with "space combat music master" himself, Kawamori involved.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »
And we'll probably get another run of Mahou Shoujo Senshi Naruto Macross Xenogear Witches next season with AKB0048, this time with "space combat music master" himself, Kawamori involved.

I almost want to watch that now.

Offline SQA

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »
And we'll probably get another run of Mahou Shoujo Senshi Naruto Macross Xenogear Witches next season with AKB0048, this time with "space combat music master" himself, Kawamori involved.

I almost want to watch that now.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13805

Shoji Kawamori is listed as Chief Director & Original Creator.  The listed director did Amagami SS, Working and Kaledio Star.  Executive Producer is credited on FLCL, Evangelion Rebuild 1.0, Azumanga Daioh and Utena.  With the Planning & Supervision by a record producer/PV maker.  And the "she's on every series" Mari Okada doing Series Composition & Scripting.     Satelight obviously got paid a boatload of money to make this Promo Series for the idol group.  This has serious potential for the title of "best worst anime of all time".  Or at least the most gloriously animated song battles ever put to film.  I can't wait.

It also has the ability to follow the exact same path as Symphogear, just with a more competent staff involved.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »

Shoji Kawamori is listed as Chief Director & Original Creator.  The listed director did Amagami SS, Working and Kaledio Star.  Executive Producer is credited on FLCL, Evangelion Rebuild 1.0, Azumanga Daioh and Utena.  With the Planning & Supervision by a record producer/PV maker.  And the "she's on every series" Mari Okada doing Series Composition & Scripting.     Satelight obviously got paid a boatload of money to make this Promo Series for the idol group.  This has serious potential for the title of "best worst anime of all time".  Or at least the most gloriously animated song battles ever put to film.  I can't wait.

It also has the ability to follow the exact same path as Symphogear, just with a more competent staff involved.

Dammit, now I have to watch this.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 04:36:26 AM »
So, Fumoffu, we can say this series pretty nearly broke you?

It didn't so much break me, it just stimulated a desire to rant for a long time. Like Infinite Stratos once did. In a way it's an achievement for a series to create this desire so much I'll write for ages trying to write everything I want to rant about.

Dammit, now I have to watch this.

I AM SOOOO WATCHING THIS.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:50 AM »
I started liking the show for it's earnest stupidity towards the end, but it's so truly terrible it makes Guilty Crown look better.

I'll have more to say when I write my review later today, but I don't think this is true at all. Symphogear is at least aware of how dumb it is. It knows that it's just a silly, relentlessly optimistic action show, and that's all it tries to be (not that it's actually good at this a lot of the time, mind). Guilty Crown is just as (if not more) stupid, but actually thinks it can be taken seriously; therefore, it's the worse show. 

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »
I started liking the show for it's earnest stupidity towards the end, but it's so truly terrible it makes Guilty Crown look better.

I'll have more to say when I write my review later today, but I don't think this is true at all. Symphogear is at least aware of how dumb it is. It knows that it's just a silly, relentlessly optimistic action show, and that's all it tries to be (not that it's actually good at this a lot of the time, mind). Guilty Crown is just as (if not more) stupid, but actually thinks it can be taken seriously; therefore, it's the worse show. 

Hmmm... Whilst I do agree with you that Symphogear doesn't make Guilty Crown look better, and also that Symphogear didn't fail as much as Guilty Crown in what it was trying to do, I still think Guilty Crown is better, by a small amount. It is more pretentious, and thinks it can be taken seriously, but I found the first half somewhat enjoyable, much more enjoyable than I found Symphogear, even when I stopped caring and grew fond of it. When I said it made GC look better, I didn't really mean the anime as a whole, I meant aspects of it. For example, as poor as the characterization in GC is, Symphogear is just so much worse.

I think I may up the rating of Symphogear to a 3, because as you said at least it knew it was stupid and I feel bad giving it a 2, but it fails in almost everything to the extent that I feel I really should. If I'm not going to give this a 2, what am I?

edit: A question to the staff as a whole... is anyone going to take it upon themselves to review Guilty Crown?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Symphogear is better than Guilty Crown, even if they're sharing the same grade. Symphogear is an idiot that knows he's an idiot; Guilty Crown is an idiot that tries to be cool and smart. Therefore, I go for Symphogear who play things straight.

Final:

Bart Simpson would say the same right: "It's craptacular."

--

My thoughts on Senki Zesshou Symphogear:

This show is perhaps the most derpy series Winter 2011/12 has to offer. Lousy production values, LOL moments (for better or worse), decent music... it's not a stretch to say that Symphogear is yet another Nana Mizuki vehicle, just like Blood-C and Rosario+Vampire.  But you know what, this show is so terrible that it ends up being enjoyable to watch, as contradictory as it may seem. It's very self-aware i.e. it knows that it's retarded and acts rightfully so, so it play things straight. Hence, it doesn't feel like a chore to watch week after week.

Objectively, I have to give this a 3/10. It's terrible, no matter how I see it. Yet, if I were to put it alongside Guilty Crown, it would be an outrage; therefore, Symphogear is in a grade of its own. Perhaps there ought to be more dumb shows that are self-aware, something like High School DxD too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up