Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 02:59:38 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Senki Zesshou Symphogear  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Senki Zesshou Symphogear
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »
My God, this is Mahou Shoujo Macross.  I have literally no other way to describe it. 

The directing is an absolute mess so I'm not cofident that this will amount to much, but it should serve as modest eye candy until the money runs out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:39:24 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Senki Zesshou Symphogear
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
1:

Wow, that was hilarious at times. I just couldn't take it seriously at all. Good dance scenes though. The setting requires a hell of a lot of explaining if I'm to take it seriously,

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
1:

MAN THAT WAS DERPY

How else am I supposed to describe this show? It's Mahou Shoujo Macross, and if you can see it from the onset, yet another Nana Mizuki career vehicle ŕ la Blood-C. Yes, the initial dance scene was pretty sweet but the rest of the episode was just messy. Haphazard pacing, cheesy "Name that Move" sequences, derpy villain designs...

...well, there's bound to be this kind of show in every anime season, isn't there.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »
1:

Wasn't that bad.

Mahou Shoujo Macross is an okay term for it.  Definitely a frenetic pace for a first episode, with the "future" scene probably the most unnecessary part of it.  Still, it's interesting.  Reminds me of Aquarion in a lot of ways, especially the campyness of certain scenes.  I didn't see anything in particular that I thought was really stupid or annoying tho.  More time needed.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »
Seeing how it's about pop idols who use their music in order to fight aliens, I was prepared to not take it too seriously, but...well, I just had a hard time taking it seriously at all. I think the problem is that they took a silly concept and put it into a dark atmosphere, without first giving us a chance to get used to the silly concept.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
1:

It made me excited to see what will happen next, which makes it good enough in my books.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »
2:

I don't like the music very much, also, I don't think it's appropriate battle music, it just feels odd when it's played with the fighting. The timing for the soundtrack was pretty bad in general, at 15:30, when she says "That all went over my head", the most obtrusive music starts playing, and then cuts off.

The protagonist is pretty annoying, I don't know whether it's just from me being genre savvy, but I swear the explanation wasn't confusing at all (although it was total bollocks, the amount of holes I could poke in that idea...), and also, would it really be that confusing as to what's going on? Love how the child just got distracted from impending death enough to comment on how the Symphogear "looks cool".

Next, I hate it when characters say lines referring animes like "She's just like a girl in an anime" (that didn't even make sense, why would she say that at that particular point?) or "He's not from an anime you know", I don't get it, it annoys me, pet hate right there.

Next, if these Noise things had been around for any length of time, then it's safe to say that the entire infrastructure of the cities and buildings would be different, but for some reason people are perfectly happy exposing themselves to a danger that can and does regularly kill people:

Politician A: "These Noise things have struck and killed again! We need to defend the citizens of our country! Let's fortify the houses and make barricades and evacuation shelters everywhere so we can evacuate people from affected areas"
Politician B: "How much would this cost?"
Politician A: "Of course it'd cost trillions of yen, but this is the biggest threat to our citizens and indeed our country ever, and we need to defend them, why'd they vote us in power if they didn't want us to protect them?"
Politician B: "They voted for us because we gave tax breaks for the rich silly! Anyway, we don't have the money, because we're building a massive concert hall, and besides, people can protect themselves"
Politician A: "But NOONE CAN FIGHT THESE THINGS!!"
Politician B: "Oh you, stop exaggerating"

Elsewhere, in town:

Citizen A: "I'm not sure I want to be on the streets, with these sporadic and fatal attacks by the noise"
Citizen B: "**** them, you know what they say, it'll never happen to me! I'll be driving like usual, exposing myself to the danger without a care in the world!"
Citizen A: "If you weren't so stupid, I would have thought you were being sarcastic"

There's all that. But at least we have some Yuri vibes going on.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:42:14 PM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
2:

In 3 points:

- Basically, this show is about the Good Guys versus the Bad Guys. Or specifically for this case, it would mean Music versus Noise. Oh yeah, how straightforward can it get. Let's not discuss how something can be music to some people but noise to others; that's kind of rational talk would kill the fun :U

- You know what's the most amazing aspects of the Valkyries? They sing so well when they're jumping from structure to structure, taking hard blows and whipping out those PHWOAR moves. That kind of voice control can put veteran singers to shame; it's amazing.

- Hibiki is actually Tony Stark in Japanese high school girl mode. And she doesn't even need a heart regulator to stay alive. *MINDBLOWN*

Offline Rachellular

• psychichica578's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with rachellular578 using Skype
    • @Rachellular

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »
1:

I went into this fully expecting to hate it, but i actually ended up sort of enjoying this. I really liked the dance sequence and the concert.

I think I'm going to check out episode 2 later today, who knows if I'll continue to like it, but so far its been fun.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:23:30 AM »
2:

I thought this episode was a lot better than the first one. It was still bad, but for some reason it felt more tolerable.

Next, I hate it when characters say lines referring animes like "She's just like a girl in an anime" (that didn't even make sense, why would she say that at that particular point?) or "He's not from an anime you know", I don't get it, it annoys me, pet hate right there.

Isn't poorly executed meta-comedy pretty common in anime?

Offline Rachellular

• @Rachellular

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
2:

I hate when anime characters do the whole "She's just like a girl in an anime" thing too. It's like *facepalm*

I really like the music when its not battle music. Hibiki also was a bit too happy for me and I thought she agreed to fight way too quickly. Also her like one...lame kick at the end, she was like really excited about it. But I like Tsubasa alot, she didn't really do much, but for some reason I'm interested in her character.

- You know what's the most amazing aspects of the Valkyries? They sing so well when they're jumping from structure to structure, taking hard blows and whipping out those PHWOAR moves. That kind of voice control can put veteran singers to shame; it's amazing.

Yeah...about that. It's super awkward when they battle and sing at the same time. As a singer I am "impressed". It's freaking impossible to keep up that sort of breath support while getting slammed into walls and falling everywhere.

It's a fairly cute show though even with the weirdness, I'll stick out for a bit longer.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »
3:

Jesus Christ, someone forgot to pay the animators for this episode.  Some serious "derp" in that scene with Tsukasa walking with the Manager.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Rachellular

• @Rachellular

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
3:

WHY DO I STILL LIKE THIS SHOW?!

Hibiki is SO annoying and she has no idea how to read social situations!

I still like Tsubasa, oh well i think its a short anime, its worth it for her plot line.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
3:

WHY DO I STILL LIKE THIS SHOW?!

Hibiki is SO annoying and she has no idea how to read social situations!

I still like Tsubasa, oh well i think its a short anime, its worth it for her plot line.

I don't, I have the same thoughts, the characters are annoying as hell. I want to punch them repeatedly in the face, the blue haired one as well. I will categorically state that Rinne no Lagranne is better than Symphogear by a very substantial factor, and I don't even like it that much.

You can already see how much the animation has already dived here as well, it's painful at times, for example, when viewed from the side, blue's hair bobs up and down in a very repetitive way, but viewed from the front her hair doesn't bob at all! MIRACULOUS I SAY!!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
3:

You know, it's fine if it features one meta-comment but it really gets old if it does the same thing again. Not to mention, by doing so it's trying too hard to poke fun at itself, especially when it's already trying too hard to begin with. The animation is just derpy, the characters are just annoying and/or unbelievable (a man just stopped Heaven's Wrath with his fist, for God sake), and the whole action is just silly. I mean, correct me if I'm incorrect, but did I just see a Noise monster in the shape of grapes?

Well, at least I learned one thing from Symphogear: "When you sing a lot, you get really hungry." Last words from a dying heroine. True Story.

DROPPED.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up