Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:40:37 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap (Withdrawn)  (Read 9754 times)

Offline USA2011

Re: Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap (Withdrawn)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »
The bit about the music on your 0080 review is a bit strange/off.  I don't remember the music for the non-action scenes, but the music from the action scenes rocked.

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/mobile-suit-gundam-0080-war-in-the-pocket/

The 08th MS Team review is garbage. 

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/mobile-suit-gundam-the-08th-ms-team/

The characters, action and plot are solid enough to warrant an 8/10, especially by the candy ass standards applied to some other titles (G Gundam and Victory Gundam).

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:55 AM »
S-K,

I'm hereby renaming the website "Gundam Review".

URL change coming as soon as I can get it.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline XRavsterX

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:54 AM »
Is...is it over?

Anyway, who else was completely lost with all the Wings, G's and other letters of the alphabet thrown around?

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 07:18:19 PM »
I think your review of Char's Counterattack was decent, the rating was about right, although it probably deserves a 10/10 for a Gundam fan by the candy ass standards I've seen for some of these other Gundam series.  :D

That's MY review of CCA thank you very much. And while it certainly was amazing, my standard for a 10 out of 10 anime movie is Castle in the Sky. And CCA is no Castle in the Sky.

And by the way, I stand by my rating of 08th MS Team. It was a good looking anime with great atmosphere, but it did not make good use of what it had, especially after the death of Takeyuki Kanda. What presented itself as a down to earth war anime about a solider confronting his prejudices turned out to be a forced romance culminating in a video game like final boss that betrays the OVA's realism, and an even worse final episode. Sorry, but out of all the Gundams I like, 08th MS is one of my least favorite.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
Someone teach him how to quote...seriously.

Is...is it over?

Anyway, who else was completely lost with all the Wings, G's and other letters of the alphabet thrown around?
I just realized I'm not really an Gundam fan  ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:37:16 PM by leokiko. »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
That's MY review of CCA thank you very much. And while it certainly was amazing, my standard for a 10 out of 10 anime movie is Castle in the Sky. And CCA is no Castle in the Sky.

Well you missed the important qualifier, a 10/10 based on the candy ass standards used for some other Gundam series here.  I'd give it a 9/10 for mecha fans otherwise.

And by the way, I stand by my rating of 08th MS Team. It was a good looking anime with great atmosphere, but it did not make good use of what it had, especially after the death of Takeyuki Kanda. What presented itself as a down to earth war anime about a solider confronting his prejudices turned out to be a forced romance culminating in a video game like final boss that betrays the OVA's realism, and an even worse final episode. Sorry, but out of all the Gundams I like, 08th MS is one of my least favorite.

08th team made full use of what it had, with jungle fighting and the typical realism of the UC series.  The romance was not forced, both characters had similar world views and it was natural for them to have a romance.  The end boss was not video game like.  Certainly not by the standards of Gundam (Big Zam, Lafresia, Azieru and other mobile armors).  The final episode was fine.  If you're referring to the one where they go look for Shiro, wasn't that one just for the fans? 

I think your opinion is not in line with what other gundam fans think about the series.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »

Unless you can show where I failed to quote, then this is an idiotic comment.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »

Well you missed the important qualifier, a 10/10 based on the candy ass standards used for some other Gundam series here.  I'd give it a 9/10 for mecha fans otherwise.

Reviews are just other viewers opinion. It doesn't have to be up to your standards as a mecha fan. Sometimes a casual Gundam fan like me just enjoy reading a nice review that make up my mind on watching a series. If, AFTER COMPLETING such series, I disagree with the reviewer, I have the right to discuss here. But not like you. Like many said before me, people that don't respect don't deserve to be respected. Laying down your arguments NOT insulting others in the process is generally a good idea, you know?

Are you kidding me? Just look at the amount of YOUR posts at page 1 and 2. Heck, you just did it with my quote. Instead of blending together with your post, you used another one. Well. Whatever, it's a pointless discussion.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:54:16 PM by leokiko. »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 08:53:56 PM »
Rather than making multiple consecutive posts, why not edit your most recent post or use the "Insert Quote" function on the "Post Reply" page to include multiple quotes from different posts in a single reply.  Multiple posting is considered a faux pas on most forums, and it's something you've done half a dozen times already in this thread.  Please try to be more careful next time.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
Reviews are just other viewers opinion.

No shit.

It doesn't have to be up to your standards as a mecha fan. Sometimes a casual Gundam fan like me just enjoy reading a nice review that make up my mind on watching a series. If, AFTER COMPLETING such series, I disagree with the reviewer, I have the right to discuss here.

Interesting double standard.  A reviewers opinion is just an opinion, but I'm not allowed to express my opinion because my standards are too high. 

With regards to the after completing comment, another interesting double standard.  You criticize me for not viewing the whole series while you failed to read (or failed to understand what I wrote).  A lot of my disagreement with the initial review stemmed from comments made about the entire Gundam franchise, not just Victory.

But not like you. Like many said before me, people that don't respect don't deserve to be respected. Laying down your arguments NOT insulting others in the process is generally a good idea, you know?

No shit, Sherlock.  You failed to notice that I just gave back what was given to me.

Are you kidding me? Just look at the amount of YOUR posts at page 1 and 2. Heck, you just did it with my quote. Instead of blending together with your post, you used another one. Well. Whatever, it's a pointless discussion.

Like I thought, your comment is idiotic.  I CAN blend replies to different people in the same thread, but that would be bad form and I choose not to. 

Your declaring it a pointless discussion before I even replied to this post is again idiotic.  I would agree that your comments are pointless though as you are more interested in being an arse than debating and discussing what's been said about the series.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
*sigh*. 'k. I meant the ''quote'' thing was a pointless discussion, not my overall post. Also, for your 4th quote: read Sorrow-kun's comment.

For your first quote: It seems you understood, huh? My job is done.

For the third: My opinion doesn't change.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
You know OP, I think you are mixing up bad review with review you didn't agree with. In all honesty I don't agree with Shadowmages review of Gundam 00S2. Personally I found there to be more subtlety that made it a better anime than he gave it credit for. But his points were not in any way invalid, and the review backed up the point. While a review is meant to be a critical analysis, really the point is to express a subjective experience in the most appealing way possible. I may strongly disagree with Roger Ebert when it comes to The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, and Star Trek (2009), but there is a reason he is where he is and I'm just some guy on the internet. If I were to evaluate your posts, I'd politely say that they are vitriolic without having any wit to back it up. I get it if someone is overly emotional in an IRL setting. But the internet allows a buffer for emotion, and honestly, unless the emotion adds to the content of the post, one is typically better off attenuating them.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
You know OP, I think you are mixing up bad review with review you didn't agree with. In all honesty I don't agree with Shadowmages review of Gundam 00S2. Personally I found there to be more subtlety that made it a better anime than he gave it credit for. But his points were not in any way invalid, and the review backed up the point. While a review is meant to be a critical analysis, really the point is to express a subjective experience in the most appealing way possible. I may strongly disagree with Roger Ebert when it comes to The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, and Star Trek (2009), but there is a reason he is where he is and I'm just some guy on the internet. If I were to evaluate your posts, I'd politely say that they are vitriolic without having any wit to back it up. I get it if someone is overly emotional in an IRL setting. But the internet allows a buffer for emotion, and honestly, unless the emotion adds to the content of the post, one is typically better off attenuating them.

Not really.  I've withdrawn my statements about Shadow's review, but had he actually been saying what I thought he was saying, then my "vitriolic" comments would have been justified.  As I mentioned before, my comments on that basis would be the same thing as replying in a vitriolic way to someone who said the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi sucks, but the prequels were what fans were really waiting for!!!!  A vitriolic comment is appropriate in that case.

I would say that Shadow's review of Gundam Wing "blows."  I stand by that.  There's things I don't like (i.e. Citizen Kane) and even Ranma 1/2, but I'm not going to drop a nuclear bomb on it just because it really annoyed me.  You've got to be fair even to film you don't like.

P.S.  There is some truth to what you say about the very critical nature of many of the things I write.  There is some truth to that.  I don't dump a vat of acid on people just for fun, but yeah, my comments can be very harsh and a lot of people have been offended by that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:44:09 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
P.P.S.

You say the ending of 08th team sucks, but it had the GM Sniper, and he and the scene he appears in is one of my favorites in all the Gundam series.  He's one of the most bad ass grunt unit to be deployed by the Federation in all the Gundam series (the other one would have to be the Byalant in Unicorn).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI1L6Be4Zv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrk8g7lpUE8
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:24:45 AM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
That shall be my last post on this forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up