Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 02:54:02 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap (Withdrawn)  (Read 10293 times)

Offline USA2011

Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap (Withdrawn)
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:49:19 AM »
Edit, made on November 30, 2011:

I withdraw the assertion that the "Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap."  My belief that the review was utter crap was due to my misreading one key line in the review.  I may come back at a later date to present new thoughts on the review after I have watched the whole series. 

-USA2011

I just started watching the anime: Gundam Victory.  By the standards of Gundam it seems fairly below average so I was interested in reading some reviews where people say what garbage it is.  It's often very amusing for me to read reviews of a bad movie or series and just read a critic lay into it. 

However, I was unpleasantly surprised to read this apparently idiotic article review on this website: http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/mobile-suit-victory-gundam/

I'm sorry, but to describe it as idiotic is how I truly feel.  I have watched almost all of the Gundam that has been made, which includes:

Gundam Zeta, Gundam ZZ, Gundam 0080, Gundam Stardust Memory, Gundam 08th Team, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Unicorn, F91, Gundam Wing, Endless Waltz, Gundam After War X, Gundam Igloo, Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, some episodes of the original Gundam and unfortunately some episodes of G Gundam as well. 

The stuff in this review makes no sense.  The author (Shadowmage) makes the original Gundam sound good, and Gundam Zeta too, and Gundam Victory.  Then he goes on to say that the franchise has made "hundreds" of episodes of trash.  There aren't hundreds of episodes of any Gundam before the ones he implied were good.  The series that was widely panned (ZZ) even the people who hate it only hate half of the 45 episodes.  Where are the other 180 episodes I'm missing?  Are there some series in the franchise I'm missing (I know about 00 and Turn a Gundam) that accounts for the other 150-180 garbage episodes he's talking about?

Then also, he loves Gundam Victory so much, but that just shows he has no idea what he is writing about.  I've only seen the first three episodes, but those first three were very much inferior to many of the titles I've already mentioned.  He gives Victory a 9/10, but the opening is pretty awful.  It drops you off right in the middle of a fight between the protagonist and the antagonist.  Have there ever been any good films (and I don't just mean anime) that does that?  No, I don't think so.  It's very poor form.  You go through the first episode without having any clue who the two are and why they are fighting. 

There's none of the realism that Gundam fans love.  The mecha designs are somewhat stupid, with the enemy mecha having bug eyes that really serve no purpose except to make them look evil.  I'd put the first episode of almost any Gundam up against the first episode of victory. 

Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review.  Shadowmage probably thinks Casablanca was a steaming dung heap and Battlefield Earth was a complete master piece. 

-USA2011
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:29:47 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

Re: Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:29:27 AM »
I'd like to say a little bit more about why the first episode of Victory Gundam was trash, and the review was bad too.

OK, so in the first episode, you see the protagonist and the antagonist fighting in their mecha.  The protagonist has this lame trap with a wire attached to his rifle which he pulls on and does not work.  Personally, as a Gundam fan I like realism.  Yes, the very concept of mecha is unrealistic, but even with mecha like Gundam, they really do try to make it realistic.  In real life aircraft like units would be used and mass produced, but Gundam tries to get around with this with the invention of "Minovsky Particles" which jam radar, and thus make it impossible to rely on guided missiles and radar (as modern aircraft do).  Gundam tries to be more than the robot version of the Coyote and the Road Runner. 

So anyway, the trap was dumb.  Then the hero ejects from his mecha and the villain shoots his ejection pod.  In any other Gundam, that would have been game over right there.  Ejection pod blows up, series over.  In this one, the guy jumps out of the ejection pod while it's still flying.  The physics in that are so wrong.  Trust me, Gundam Zeta, nor any other decent Gundam series would have ever dreamed of doing something like that. 

Then the review says this:"If you are wondering why so many die hard fans are still willing to ride on what quite frankly looks like the RMS Titanic, look no further than the Universal Century shows."

As I've already said, he's already implied that three of the series in the Universal Century are good (Gundam, Zeta, and Victory).  As for the other UC series, those actually are more likely to be good than the non-UC series. 

Stardust Memory - Awesome
08th MS Team - Very Good
Char's Counterattack - Excellent
MS Igloo - Good
Unicorn - Excellent
0080 War in the Pocket - Decent/Good
ZZ Gundam - Good and misunderstood

The only UC series that people love to hate is Gundam ZZ, which I believe is a very misunderstood anime.  In any case, even if you want to just say it sucks, the rest of the UC series are good, not some kind of rotten cesspool/septic tank/garbage scow that this pitiful reviewer falsely alleges. 

If you don't like the UC series, you're really not an old school Gundam fan, and maybe not even a genuine Gundam fan.  Saying the UC series is bad, and the alternative time lines are good is like saying the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi sucked, but the prequels were the bomb.  How about that Jar Jar Binks? 

-USA2011
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:41:15 AM by USA2011 »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:38:43 AM »
So you've watched three episodes, therefore the opinion of someone who's watched the entire series is invalid?  Also, maybe you ought to read his other reviews before questioning Shadowmage's credentials when it comes to the Gundam franchise.

I'm happy to host fruitful, vigorous debates about our reviews on this forum, but the leaps in logic and presumptuous accusations about one of our reviewer's sense of taste won't get you very far.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:28 AM »
Personally, I just find it very condescending for him to come here and tell us to delete a review only because he doesn't agree with it. If I were to follow his logic, I would say that, since I disagree with his opinions, then I want him to be deleted from the forums

*trollface*

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »
Best laugh I've had in a while and easily a 9 out of 10 on the troll scale.  Don't listen to these other scabs, they don't know shit about Gundam like you do.

I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
So you've watched three episodes, therefore the opinion of someone who's watched the entire series is invalid?  Also, maybe you ought to read his other reviews before questioning Shadowmage's credentials when it comes to the Gundam franchise.

That's your misrepresentation of what I wrote.  That's not what I said.  You didn't address what I wrote.

I'm not questioning Shadowmage's credentials, I'm saying his review was very poor and nonsense.  No one needs to read every review a person has made to disagree with one review they wrote.  If that's the case, then you can't disagree with any reviewer of anything (a movie, anime, book, etc) unless you've read everything that reviewer has written about the franchise that movie, anime or book belongs to. 

If what I wrote is poor, it could be shown based upon what I wrote.  It hasn't been.  If what Shadowmage is poor, it could be shown based upon what he wrote.  It has.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:24:53 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »
Personally, I just find it very condescending for him to come here and tell us to delete a review only because he doesn't agree with it. If I were to follow his logic, I would say that, since I disagree with his opinions, then I want him to be deleted from the forums

*trollface*

Again, another distortion of what I wrote.  I didn't say delete it because I don't agree with it.  I listed several reasons why the review is a poor one, which of course you didn't address.  Your comments are idiotic.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:54:04 AM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Best laugh I've had in a while and easily a 9 out of 10 on the troll scale.  Don't listen to these other scabs, they don't know shit about Gundam like you do.

The only thing I agree with you on is your username.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:55:52 AM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
The review is based on the entire series, but your assessment is based on only a small faction of the episodes.

Another distortion.  I don't just criticize the series but other comments made by the reviewer.  Even though my assessment on the series is based only on those three episodes, you don't address those.

Yeah, you said it.

Another distortion.  The fact that I said what I said, does not mean that I said what someone distorted my comment as: "tell us to delete a review only because he doesn't agree with it".  <- Not what I said, but a distortion of what I said.

And this just brightened my day. It's so nice, let's post it thrice.

Yeah, kind of stupid how you can reduce several paragraphs of sound criticism to "hate", but that's all your capable of I suppose. 

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review.

Lemme get this straight: only fans of a particular series should be writing reviews for those series.

Now I see why everything has between 4 to 5 stars on Amazon...

Offline USA2011

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review.

Lemme get this straight: only fans of a particular series should be writing reviews for those series.

It's stupid to equate this: "Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review."

To this: "only fans of a particular series should be writing reviews for those series."

However, if you read what I wrote, you'll see that the reviewer spoke about the entire Gundam franchise, so yes you would have to watch all or most of the franchise if you're going to write about it.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
So yes you would have to watch all or most of the franchise if you're going to write about it.

Lemme get this straight: only people who like the larger franchise enough (i.e. are fans) or have nothing better to do than watch series after series of something they hate are qualified to write about a particular series.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see new members on here.

Now I haven't seen Victory Gundam, but apparently you haven't either, so I think I can comment on why I disagree with you.

Then he goes on to say that the franchise has made "hundreds" of episodes of trash.  There aren't hundreds of episodes of any Gundam before the ones he implied were good.  The series that was widely panned (ZZ) even the people who hate it only hate half of the 45 episodes.  Where are the other 180 episodes I'm missing?  Are there some series in the franchise I'm missing (I know about 00 and Turn a Gundam) that accounts for the other 150-180 garbage episodes he's talking about?

He is referring to Wing, Seed, and Seed Destiny (and maybe G Gundam depending on his preference), I believe. Those are the lowest reviewed shows on this site (even ZZ got a higher score), and are considered crap or maybe mediocre. If you think they aren't crap, you can certainly make that argument (but make it as a pm, because you are not going to get a decent argument here), but for the purposes of this review, that is what he is referring to.

Then also, he loves Gundam Victory so much, but that just shows he has no idea what he is writing about.  I've only seen the first three episodes, but those first three were very much inferior to many of the titles I've already mentioned.  He gives Victory a 9/10, but the opening is pretty awful.  It drops you off right in the middle of a fight between the protagonist and the antagonist.  Have there ever been any good films (and I don't just mean anime) that does that?  No, I don't think so.  It's very poor form.  You go through the first episode without having any clue who the two are and why they are fighting.

Fortunately, a show is not defined by the quality of its opening episodes, and the review doesn't even refer to them. Instead, he talks about how he was moved by the tragic consequences of war, the harrowing image of children carrying the coffins of the people who died in the line of fire. Can that really be portrayed effectively in a mere three episodes? Perhaps, but in this case it didn't need to. And yes, I can name one film that starts in the middle of a fight: Star Wars IV: A New Hope (the opening scene shows a Star Destroyer going after a Rebel ship, and we don't know what the hell is going on until after the battle is over.)
There's none of the realism that Gundam fans love.  The mecha designs are somewhat stupid, with the enemy mecha having bug eyes that really serve no purpose except to make them look evil.  I'd put the first episode of almost any Gundam up against the first episode of victory. 

Sweeping generalizations are nice and all, but unfortunately they don't make for good arguments. (I know from experience, trust me.) I love the UC Gundam shows, but I am not in the very least interested in the realism of it. Does that mean I'm not a real Gundam fan? I'm sorry, but the answer is no, and the same applies to Shadowmage. Even if he does care about the realism, he didn't feel it was necessary to bring it up in his review compared to the things that he did bring up, which in my unofficial opinion (since I'm not a real Gundam fan, apparently) are more important.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
So yes you would have to watch all or most of the franchise if you're going to write about it.

Lemme get this straight: only people who like the larger franchise enough (i.e. are fans) or have nothing better to do than watch series after series of something they hate are qualified to write about a particular series.

It's stupid how you focus more on twisting my words than actually understanding them or disagreeing with them.  You need to learn to read to.  There's nothing in what I wrote that would lead one to the conclusion that I "watch series after series of something they hate."  Also, it shows stupidity that you try to act like you are a big pimp looking down on anime fans on an anime discussion forum.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »

It's stupid how you focus more on twisting my words than actually understanding them or disagreeing with them.  You need to learn to read to.  There's nothing in what I wrote that would lead one to the conclusion that I "watch series after series of something they hate."  Also, it shows stupidity that you try to act like you are a big pimp looking down on anime fans on an anime discussion forum.

Lemme get this straight: disparaging a particular individual is tantamount to disparaging all who share at least one quality with that individual.

Well, I guess I do hate everybody, so there is some credence to this...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
This has got to be a put on.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »
Now I haven't seen Victory Gundam, but apparently you haven't either, so I think I can comment on why I disagree with you.

That's not accurate, I've seen the first three episodes, as I've mentioned.

He is referring to Wing, Seed, and Seed Destiny (and maybe G Gundam depending on his preference), I believe. Those are the lowest reviewed shows on this site (even ZZ got a higher score), and are considered crap or maybe mediocre. If you think they aren't crap, you can certainly make that argument (but make it as a pm, because you are not going to get a decent argument here), but for the purposes of this review, that is what he is referring to.

I re-read his comment.  I misread it.  I actually thought he meant the opposite of what he said.  I took this line:

"If you are wondering why so many die hard fans are still willing to ride on what quite frankly looks like the RMS Titanic, look no further than the Universal Century shows."

To mean that the UC Century shows are crap, but actually he's saying they're good.  I still don't agree with that statement, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was.  If I had read that right, I probably would not have posted this thread at all. 

Just to address the rest of this, I disagree with Shadowmage's take on Wing Gundam and After War X (if he's implying they're bad).  You can't use Gundam SEED or Destiny, because Victory came out before those series.  I would agree that G Gundam was awful. 

Fortunately, a show is not defined by the quality of its opening episodes, and the review doesn't even refer to them. Instead, he talks about how he was moved by the tragic consequences of war, the harrowing image of children carrying the coffins of the people who died in the line of fire. Can that really be portrayed effectively in a mere three episodes? Perhaps, but in this case it didn't need to. And yes, I can name one film that starts in the middle of a fight: Star Wars IV: A New Hope (the opening scene shows a Star Destroyer going after a Rebel ship, and we don't know what the hell is going on until after the battle is over.)

A show is definitely defined in part by the quality of its opening episode, it's foolish to contend otherwise.  Whether or not other content of the series can be portrayed in the first three episodes is irrelevant.  The opening episode is poor.  I've explained why.

With regards to the Star Wars comment, your example doesn't work.  Here's what I wrote about Victory: "It drops you off right in the middle of a fight between the protagonist and the antagonist.  Have there ever been any good films (and I don't just mean anime) that does that?  No, I don't think so.  It's very poor form.  You go through the first episode without having any clue who the two are and why they are fighting."

The opening scene in Star Wars IV is between Princess Leia's ship and Darth Vader's ship.  Darth Vader is the antagonist, but Leia is not the protagonist, Luke Skywalker is the protagonist.  Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there are several paragraphs of explanation that preceed that fight scene as well. 

Sweeping generalizations are nice and all, but unfortunately they don't make for good arguments. (I know from experience, trust me.) I love the UC Gundam shows, but I am not in the very least interested in the realism of it. Does that mean I'm not a real Gundam fan? I'm sorry, but the answer is no, and the same applies to Shadowmage. Even if he does care about the realism, he didn't feel it was necessary to bring it up in his review compared to the things that he did bring up, which in my unofficial opinion (since I'm not a real Gundam fan, apparently) are more important.

Yet you've failed to show how what I wrote is a sweeping generalization.  All one has to do is look at Gundam mecha technical websites and Gundam videos on YouTube to see that Gundam fans love realism.  Also, if one looks at the recent Gundam which has been released (SEED and Unicorn) they both are more realistic and serious, as is what is arguably the highest rated Gundam: Gundam Zeta. 

Also, you mistakenly perceive this comment:

"If you don't like the UC series, you're really not an old school Gundam fan, and maybe not even a genuine Gundam fan."

As meaning you must love realism in Gundam to be a genuine Gundam fan, when that statement doesn't even contain the word realism.  The key concept in that sentence is whether or not you love the UC series, not whether or not you love realism.

To underline one thing: I would withdraw my assertion that the Gundam Victory review is "utter crap."  That is based on my misreading on of the lines from Shadowmage.  I maintain all my other comments. 

I will modify my opening post if I am able to under the forum options given to regular members.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:44:36 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

Lemme get this straight: disparaging a particular individual is tantamount to disparaging all who share at least one quality with that individual.

Well, I guess I do hate everybody, so there is some credence to this...

You've gotten nothing straight.  Everything you've said "lemme get this straight" to has been a foolish attempt by you to get it crooked.  The best way to get it straight is to stop trying to get it crooked because you don't have the ability to make an intelligent criticism or disagreement. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:31:27 PM by USA2011 »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap (Withdrawn)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
Yes, Big Guy is right.  I was taking a snipe at the AU side of things. 

Now I  admit that in context of Victory Gundam mentioning AU shows may be unjust since AU shows didn't exist after Victory, but I was using the sentence as more of a hook than an actual argument about the show. 

My understanding of this situation is that some executives at the television network wanted the Gundam to appear episode 1.  The problem is that Tomino had already written the script and Uso didn't get the Gundam until much later on.  So, in order to square this situation, they took the first episode that the Gundam appears and made it episode 1, then they returned to true first episode in episode 2.

The "realism" will come; however, the enemy mech designs will be more Aura Battler Dunbine inspired than WW2 Nazi Germany inspired.  Even I must admit that I prefer the latter. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:09:00 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
You've gotten nothing straight.  Everything you've said "lemme get this straight" to has been a foolish attempt by you to get it crooked.  The best way to get it straight is to stop trying to get it crooked because you don't have the ability to make an intelligent criticism or disagreement. 

Lemme get this straight: an individual who comes into a forum and disrespects its members is totally reasonable in demanding respect in return.

It seems that I know nothing about human relationships!  I suppose there's a reason my username is DrIdiot.

Seriously though, I'm done.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
Seriously though, could you at least wait til after you've watched the series before complaining about the review? When people say you haven't seen it, they mean that you haven't seen most the show, and so your experience of how good or bad it is is limited. What's 3 episodes out of 51? That's not even a tenth of the episodes, do you not think you're making a huge assumption about the series to think that the review is shit in general? How do you know the rest of the series is shit? Sure first episodes make an important impression, but you cannot define a whole show off them. I'd much prefer a show with a strong end and a weak start to one with a strong start but a weak end, and who's to know whether or not it'll get good if you haven't seen it?

Offline USA2011

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »
Yes, Big Guy is right.  I was taking a snipe at the AU side of things. 

Now I  admit that in context of Victory Gundam mentioning AU shows may be unjust since AU shows didn't exist after Victory, but I was using the sentence as more of a hook than an actual argument about the show. 

Hi Shadow. 

It's fair to take a swipe at AU, but I don't share your opinion on AU if you think Gundam Wing and After War X are bad series. I would agree with you that G Gundam was an embarrassment though. I think most people who have seen either Wing or After War X wouldn't agree with you either. As for ZZ Gundam, yeah lots of people hate it, but I would say that it's a misunderstood series and the first half of it, which was slap stick, was needed after the mass killings in Zeta (which you made mention of in your review, I believe). 

My understanding of this situation is that some executives at the television network wanted the Gundam to appear episode 1.  The problem is that Tomino had already written the script and Uso didn't get the Gundam until much later on.  So, in order to square this situation, they took the first episode that the Gundam appears and made it episode 1, then they returned to true first episode in episode 2.

I see.  On an artistic level it's still bad to do that though.  I notice you have an avatar from Gundam Unicorn in your avatar.  You'll notice how well the first scene is from that series.  I believe it's with the prime ministers home in space blowing up.  When you see that, it just knocks you out.  It also sets you up for what the whole show is about: the secret of the Box and the secret history of the Universal Century.  It has a symbolic and stylistic element, which is completely destroyed in Victory, with what looked like a lazy drop off in the middle of yet another mecha fight (and a rather pitiful one at that). 

The "realism" will come; however, the enemy mech designs will be more Aura Battler Dunbine inspired than WW2 Nazi Germany inspired.  Even I must admit that I prefer the latter.

From what I saw of the opening theme, the mech designs don't look great, they look cartoonish, but I'll see. 

I find it strange that you say that the Gundam mecha (presumably the Zion side) are Nazi Germany inspired.  How do you see the Zaku as Nazi Germany inspired?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:32:17 PM by Shadowmage »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »

Lemme get this straight: an individual who comes into a forum and disrespects its members is totally reasonable in demanding respect in return.

It seems that I know nothing about human relationships!  I suppose there's a reason my username is DrIdiot.

Seriously though, I'm done.

Again, you get it crooked all in the name of "lemme get this straight." 

Your name is highly accurate.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
Seriously though, could you at least wait til after you've watched the series before complaining about the review? When people say you haven't seen it, they mean that you haven't seen most the show, and so your experience of how good or bad it is is limited. What's 3 episodes out of 51? That's not even a tenth of the episodes, do you not think you're making a huge assumption about the series to think that the review is shit in general? How do you know the rest of the series is shit? Sure first episodes make an important impression, but you cannot define a whole show off them. I'd much prefer a show with a strong end and a weak start to one with a strong start but a weak end, and who's to know whether or not it'll get good if you haven't seen it?

My response to the review was based on a number of Shadowmage's statements, not just on Victory Gundam.  A lot of it was focused on his comments of the Gundam franchise, which I admit was my mistake in misinterpreting them.  For the record though, I do stand by every thing else I wrote.

Maybe you're right that the series will get better.  I doubt it.  I highly doubt it can be as good as Gundam series or movies that earn a 9/10 or better (i.e. Stardust Memory, maybe Char's Counterattack).  I think I'm a pretty good judge of whether a film or series is good or not in a period of time that's a lot less than 90 minutes. 

There's not much reason to think that a lot of those things will change (the weak-looking design of the mecha, the unimaginative antagonist, weak technical concepts like the beam rotors).  The opening is poor in conception and execution, and I think it's more reasonable to think that reflects on the whole series rather than not. 

Offline Hokuto_Spirit

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
@OP: G Gundam is an emberassment? You obviously have no taste.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
@OP: G Gundam is an emberassment? You obviously have no taste.

Obviously, yes.  You obviously have neither taste nor any sense of shame. 

If a person wants to criticize Gundam, there's no lower hanging fruit than G Gundam. 

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
It's fair to take a swipe at AU, but I don't share your opinion on AU if you think Gundam Wing and After War X are bad series.  I would agree with you that G Gundam was an embarrassment though.  I think most people who have seen either Wing or After War X wouldn't agree with you either.  As for ZZ Gundam, yeah lots of people hate it, but I would say that it's a misunderstood series and the first half of it, which was slap stick, was needed after the mass killings in Zeta (which you made mention of in your review, I believe).

I didn't like Gundam Wing.   Gundam X was a decent series but I felt it fell apart when it went into space (though to be fair the show was cancelled before its full run).  The first part of Gundam ZZ was painful but the rest was quite good.  I appreciate what G Gundam had going but I didn't enjoy it.     

I see.  On an artistic level it's still bad to do that though.

I don't disagree.   The first episode was quite disorienting since it throws the viewer into midst of things without explanation.

I find it strange that you say that the Gundam mecha (presumably the Zion side) are Nazi Germany inspired.  How do you see the Zaku as Nazi Germany inspired?

The Zaku always reminded me of a WWII era soldier with a gas mask.  Now that I think about it, the Nazi Germany part is me projecting the ideals and attitudes of Zeon onto the mechs.   

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
I didn't like Gundam Wing.   Gundam X was a decent series but I felt it fell apart when it went into space (though to be fair the show was cancelled before its full run).  The first part of Gundam ZZ was painful but the rest was quite good.  I appreciate what G Gundam had going but I didn't enjoy it.     

Gundam Wing was good and I think most people who saw it would agree with that.  I believe that it was Gundam Wing which was the first series that was on the Cartoon Network of Gundam. 

Gundam X I felt was pretty solid.  It's got none of the realism or the seriousness which makes for really great Gundam, but on the other hand it had quite a few different models of Gundams if I recall, some of which were very cool (the two used by the Frost brothers and the Air Master).  I think the series got into space pretty late, and there was no real discernible drop off in quality that I can recall at that point.  Perhaps the final battle may have been a bit weak in some aspects.

Gundam ZZ, again I'd say the first half slap stick was necessary and was actually impressive in some respects, since it could show that Gundam can do comedy too.  Why rush back to more characters getting killed?  I welcomed the comedy and actually kind of missed it towards the end.

G Gundam was garbage.  There were some good scenes in it, but it's hard to watch that series and maintain self-respect at the same time. 

The Zaku always reminded me of a WWII era soldier with a gas mask.  Now that I think about it, the Nazi Germany part is me projecting the ideals and attitudes of Zeon onto the mechs.

You could be right about that with regards to the Zaku.  I may have thought the same thing about the Zaku I, which looks more like the gas mask than the Zaku II.  I tend to think of the Zeon suits as cyclops, but most of the mechs do not look anything like WWII Nazi soldiers.

There's a lot of clear WWII German references though.  Gihren Zabi is referred to as a wannabe Hitler, and the Zeon flag is, I believe, the naval flag of the 3rd Reich.  The wings that are omnipresent on Zeon uniforms look like the eagles that I believe either Hitler or the Luftwaffe made use of.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:22:46 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
Oh Shadow,

Your review of Gundam Wing blows.  Sorry man, it does.  3/10? 

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/mobile-suit-gundam-wing/

Maybe G Gundam might deserve a 3/10, but Gundam Wing?  You're definitely in the minority on that one (like 1 in 6 [or less] kind of minority), as you acknowledge in your review. 

Gundam X got a more fair hearing on this site, but the G Gundam rating is pretty bad.  It gets a 7/10, but what can you say about a series where someone who likes it makes this disclaimer: "To be perfectly honest, the whole concept of a global tournament in which countries fight for superiority with Gundams is idiotic at best...Yes, I am proud to say that I am a G Gundam fan. Laugh at me if you must,"?

Your scoring on Zeta Gundam is about what I would expect from anyone reviewing Zeta.  I think the series good, but overrated.  I'd give it a 8 or an 8.5 out of 10, which is only that high because the standards for a 52 episode running series must be reduced.  Kamille is annoying, the Cyber Newtype chick thing is repetitive, as is the Titan's bungling, and being solid doesn't mean excellent. 

Your ZZ Gundam score is about right, although you really have to be a Gundam fan to even give it that high probably.   I think to be fair, you should include how the series intends to be slap stick as a counter to all the death that takes place in Z Gundam.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:38:32 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
I think your review of Char's Counterattack was decent, the rating was about right, although it probably deserves a 10/10 for a Gundam fan by the candy ass standards I've seen for some of these other Gundam series.  :D

I disagree with this bit:

Of course, all of this action is just icing on the cake, or at least it should be. This is a story that the Gundam saga had been building up to. As Federation soldiers or rebels, Amuro and Bright had finely tuned senses of right and wrong, so it makes sense why they would be fighting to save Earth, despite the vermin who infested it. Char, on the other hand, had always been impatient and overly idealistic. Even though his paradigm shift from how he was during the Gryps War seems a little forced, the picture painted from 0079 and the Zeta Duology (Z and ZZ) helps one understand how he could even think of committing an act as vile as an asteroid drop. These are strong characters made even better as their conflicting values are put to the test. Personally, what got me was that despite his methods were unacceptable, in the end, Char was right.

Of course, a movie that is based around the rivalry between two men can fall apart easily if their motives are plain not believable, though pulls it off with one simple statement. Deep down at the bottom of their hearts, Amuro and Char truly hate each other. They hated each other when they realized that they were equally matched. They hated each other when their obsession over Newtype Lalah Sune, lead to her death. They must have detested each other when their situation demanded them cooperating. And definitely they hate each other now more than ever. I think that this antagonism is best described by annoying character Quess Paraya, “So that’s why married couples fight.”

Char's Counterattack was all about the action, in my opinion, it's not just the icing on the cake.  The Amuro vs Char duel is part of the action.  It's interesting that you say Char is right.  Maybe by Gundam logic (whereby being born on earth automatically means you're going to be part of a dictatorship or a colonial empire) you can argue that but I guess I don't agree with the stated premise. 

It's interesting that you say that deep down Char and Amuro hate each other as they seemed to bury the hatchet in Zeta.  I think the director just wanted this fight and this plot. 

Also, I believe the consensus among Gundam fans is that Amuro clearly has more natural ability (he's the more powerful Newtype) but Char is more clever.  That's how I look at it anyway.  Char is a brilliant tactician, but Amuro has the power. 

Offline USA2011

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »
The bit about the music on your 0080 review is a bit strange/off.  I don't remember the music for the non-action scenes, but the music from the action scenes rocked.

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/mobile-suit-gundam-0080-war-in-the-pocket/

The 08th MS Team review is garbage. 

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/mobile-suit-gundam-the-08th-ms-team/

The characters, action and plot are solid enough to warrant an 8/10, especially by the candy ass standards applied to some other titles (G Gundam and Victory Gundam).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:55 AM »
S-K,

I'm hereby renaming the website "Gundam Review".

URL change coming as soon as I can get it.

Offline XRavsterX

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:54 AM »
Is...is it over?

Anyway, who else was completely lost with all the Wings, G's and other letters of the alphabet thrown around?

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 07:18:19 PM »
I think your review of Char's Counterattack was decent, the rating was about right, although it probably deserves a 10/10 for a Gundam fan by the candy ass standards I've seen for some of these other Gundam series.  :D

That's MY review of CCA thank you very much. And while it certainly was amazing, my standard for a 10 out of 10 anime movie is Castle in the Sky. And CCA is no Castle in the Sky.

And by the way, I stand by my rating of 08th MS Team. It was a good looking anime with great atmosphere, but it did not make good use of what it had, especially after the death of Takeyuki Kanda. What presented itself as a down to earth war anime about a solider confronting his prejudices turned out to be a forced romance culminating in a video game like final boss that betrays the OVA's realism, and an even worse final episode. Sorry, but out of all the Gundams I like, 08th MS is one of my least favorite.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
Someone teach him how to quote...seriously.

Is...is it over?

Anyway, who else was completely lost with all the Wings, G's and other letters of the alphabet thrown around?
I just realized I'm not really an Gundam fan  ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:37:16 PM by leokiko. »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
That's MY review of CCA thank you very much. And while it certainly was amazing, my standard for a 10 out of 10 anime movie is Castle in the Sky. And CCA is no Castle in the Sky.

Well you missed the important qualifier, a 10/10 based on the candy ass standards used for some other Gundam series here.  I'd give it a 9/10 for mecha fans otherwise.

And by the way, I stand by my rating of 08th MS Team. It was a good looking anime with great atmosphere, but it did not make good use of what it had, especially after the death of Takeyuki Kanda. What presented itself as a down to earth war anime about a solider confronting his prejudices turned out to be a forced romance culminating in a video game like final boss that betrays the OVA's realism, and an even worse final episode. Sorry, but out of all the Gundams I like, 08th MS is one of my least favorite.

08th team made full use of what it had, with jungle fighting and the typical realism of the UC series.  The romance was not forced, both characters had similar world views and it was natural for them to have a romance.  The end boss was not video game like.  Certainly not by the standards of Gundam (Big Zam, Lafresia, Azieru and other mobile armors).  The final episode was fine.  If you're referring to the one where they go look for Shiro, wasn't that one just for the fans? 

I think your opinion is not in line with what other gundam fans think about the series.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »

Unless you can show where I failed to quote, then this is an idiotic comment.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »

Well you missed the important qualifier, a 10/10 based on the candy ass standards used for some other Gundam series here.  I'd give it a 9/10 for mecha fans otherwise.

Reviews are just other viewers opinion. It doesn't have to be up to your standards as a mecha fan. Sometimes a casual Gundam fan like me just enjoy reading a nice review that make up my mind on watching a series. If, AFTER COMPLETING such series, I disagree with the reviewer, I have the right to discuss here. But not like you. Like many said before me, people that don't respect don't deserve to be respected. Laying down your arguments NOT insulting others in the process is generally a good idea, you know?

Are you kidding me? Just look at the amount of YOUR posts at page 1 and 2. Heck, you just did it with my quote. Instead of blending together with your post, you used another one. Well. Whatever, it's a pointless discussion.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:54:16 PM by leokiko. »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 08:53:56 PM »
Rather than making multiple consecutive posts, why not edit your most recent post or use the "Insert Quote" function on the "Post Reply" page to include multiple quotes from different posts in a single reply.  Multiple posting is considered a faux pas on most forums, and it's something you've done half a dozen times already in this thread.  Please try to be more careful next time.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
Reviews are just other viewers opinion.

No shit.

It doesn't have to be up to your standards as a mecha fan. Sometimes a casual Gundam fan like me just enjoy reading a nice review that make up my mind on watching a series. If, AFTER COMPLETING such series, I disagree with the reviewer, I have the right to discuss here.

Interesting double standard.  A reviewers opinion is just an opinion, but I'm not allowed to express my opinion because my standards are too high. 

With regards to the after completing comment, another interesting double standard.  You criticize me for not viewing the whole series while you failed to read (or failed to understand what I wrote).  A lot of my disagreement with the initial review stemmed from comments made about the entire Gundam franchise, not just Victory.

But not like you. Like many said before me, people that don't respect don't deserve to be respected. Laying down your arguments NOT insulting others in the process is generally a good idea, you know?

No shit, Sherlock.  You failed to notice that I just gave back what was given to me.

Are you kidding me? Just look at the amount of YOUR posts at page 1 and 2. Heck, you just did it with my quote. Instead of blending together with your post, you used another one. Well. Whatever, it's a pointless discussion.

Like I thought, your comment is idiotic.  I CAN blend replies to different people in the same thread, but that would be bad form and I choose not to. 

Your declaring it a pointless discussion before I even replied to this post is again idiotic.  I would agree that your comments are pointless though as you are more interested in being an arse than debating and discussing what's been said about the series.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
*sigh*. 'k. I meant the ''quote'' thing was a pointless discussion, not my overall post. Also, for your 4th quote: read Sorrow-kun's comment.

For your first quote: It seems you understood, huh? My job is done.

For the third: My opinion doesn't change.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
You know OP, I think you are mixing up bad review with review you didn't agree with. In all honesty I don't agree with Shadowmages review of Gundam 00S2. Personally I found there to be more subtlety that made it a better anime than he gave it credit for. But his points were not in any way invalid, and the review backed up the point. While a review is meant to be a critical analysis, really the point is to express a subjective experience in the most appealing way possible. I may strongly disagree with Roger Ebert when it comes to The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, and Star Trek (2009), but there is a reason he is where he is and I'm just some guy on the internet. If I were to evaluate your posts, I'd politely say that they are vitriolic without having any wit to back it up. I get it if someone is overly emotional in an IRL setting. But the internet allows a buffer for emotion, and honestly, unless the emotion adds to the content of the post, one is typically better off attenuating them.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
You know OP, I think you are mixing up bad review with review you didn't agree with. In all honesty I don't agree with Shadowmages review of Gundam 00S2. Personally I found there to be more subtlety that made it a better anime than he gave it credit for. But his points were not in any way invalid, and the review backed up the point. While a review is meant to be a critical analysis, really the point is to express a subjective experience in the most appealing way possible. I may strongly disagree with Roger Ebert when it comes to The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, and Star Trek (2009), but there is a reason he is where he is and I'm just some guy on the internet. If I were to evaluate your posts, I'd politely say that they are vitriolic without having any wit to back it up. I get it if someone is overly emotional in an IRL setting. But the internet allows a buffer for emotion, and honestly, unless the emotion adds to the content of the post, one is typically better off attenuating them.

Not really.  I've withdrawn my statements about Shadow's review, but had he actually been saying what I thought he was saying, then my "vitriolic" comments would have been justified.  As I mentioned before, my comments on that basis would be the same thing as replying in a vitriolic way to someone who said the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi sucks, but the prequels were what fans were really waiting for!!!!  A vitriolic comment is appropriate in that case.

I would say that Shadow's review of Gundam Wing "blows."  I stand by that.  There's things I don't like (i.e. Citizen Kane) and even Ranma 1/2, but I'm not going to drop a nuclear bomb on it just because it really annoyed me.  You've got to be fair even to film you don't like.

P.S.  There is some truth to what you say about the very critical nature of many of the things I write.  There is some truth to that.  I don't dump a vat of acid on people just for fun, but yeah, my comments can be very harsh and a lot of people have been offended by that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:44:09 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
P.P.S.

You say the ending of 08th team sucks, but it had the GM Sniper, and he and the scene he appears in is one of my favorites in all the Gundam series.  He's one of the most bad ass grunt unit to be deployed by the Federation in all the Gundam series (the other one would have to be the Byalant in Unicorn).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI1L6Be4Zv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrk8g7lpUE8
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:24:45 AM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
That shall be my last post on this forum.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2011, 01:16:58 AM »
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up