Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 12:41:33 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap (Withdrawn)  (Read 9706 times)

Offline USA2011

Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap (Withdrawn)
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:49:19 AM »
Edit, made on November 30, 2011:

I withdraw the assertion that the "Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap."  My belief that the review was utter crap was due to my misreading one key line in the review.  I may come back at a later date to present new thoughts on the review after I have watched the whole series. 

-USA2011

I just started watching the anime: Gundam Victory.  By the standards of Gundam it seems fairly below average so I was interested in reading some reviews where people say what garbage it is.  It's often very amusing for me to read reviews of a bad movie or series and just read a critic lay into it. 

However, I was unpleasantly surprised to read this apparently idiotic article review on this website: http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/mobile-suit-victory-gundam/

I'm sorry, but to describe it as idiotic is how I truly feel.  I have watched almost all of the Gundam that has been made, which includes:

Gundam Zeta, Gundam ZZ, Gundam 0080, Gundam Stardust Memory, Gundam 08th Team, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Unicorn, F91, Gundam Wing, Endless Waltz, Gundam After War X, Gundam Igloo, Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, some episodes of the original Gundam and unfortunately some episodes of G Gundam as well. 

The stuff in this review makes no sense.  The author (Shadowmage) makes the original Gundam sound good, and Gundam Zeta too, and Gundam Victory.  Then he goes on to say that the franchise has made "hundreds" of episodes of trash.  There aren't hundreds of episodes of any Gundam before the ones he implied were good.  The series that was widely panned (ZZ) even the people who hate it only hate half of the 45 episodes.  Where are the other 180 episodes I'm missing?  Are there some series in the franchise I'm missing (I know about 00 and Turn a Gundam) that accounts for the other 150-180 garbage episodes he's talking about?

Then also, he loves Gundam Victory so much, but that just shows he has no idea what he is writing about.  I've only seen the first three episodes, but those first three were very much inferior to many of the titles I've already mentioned.  He gives Victory a 9/10, but the opening is pretty awful.  It drops you off right in the middle of a fight between the protagonist and the antagonist.  Have there ever been any good films (and I don't just mean anime) that does that?  No, I don't think so.  It's very poor form.  You go through the first episode without having any clue who the two are and why they are fighting. 

There's none of the realism that Gundam fans love.  The mecha designs are somewhat stupid, with the enemy mecha having bug eyes that really serve no purpose except to make them look evil.  I'd put the first episode of almost any Gundam up against the first episode of victory. 

Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review.  Shadowmage probably thinks Casablanca was a steaming dung heap and Battlefield Earth was a complete master piece. 

-USA2011
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:29:47 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

Re: Gundam Victory Review is Utter Crap
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:29:27 AM »
I'd like to say a little bit more about why the first episode of Victory Gundam was trash, and the review was bad too.

OK, so in the first episode, you see the protagonist and the antagonist fighting in their mecha.  The protagonist has this lame trap with a wire attached to his rifle which he pulls on and does not work.  Personally, as a Gundam fan I like realism.  Yes, the very concept of mecha is unrealistic, but even with mecha like Gundam, they really do try to make it realistic.  In real life aircraft like units would be used and mass produced, but Gundam tries to get around with this with the invention of "Minovsky Particles" which jam radar, and thus make it impossible to rely on guided missiles and radar (as modern aircraft do).  Gundam tries to be more than the robot version of the Coyote and the Road Runner. 

So anyway, the trap was dumb.  Then the hero ejects from his mecha and the villain shoots his ejection pod.  In any other Gundam, that would have been game over right there.  Ejection pod blows up, series over.  In this one, the guy jumps out of the ejection pod while it's still flying.  The physics in that are so wrong.  Trust me, Gundam Zeta, nor any other decent Gundam series would have ever dreamed of doing something like that. 

Then the review says this:"If you are wondering why so many die hard fans are still willing to ride on what quite frankly looks like the RMS Titanic, look no further than the Universal Century shows."

As I've already said, he's already implied that three of the series in the Universal Century are good (Gundam, Zeta, and Victory).  As for the other UC series, those actually are more likely to be good than the non-UC series. 

Stardust Memory - Awesome
08th MS Team - Very Good
Char's Counterattack - Excellent
MS Igloo - Good
Unicorn - Excellent
0080 War in the Pocket - Decent/Good
ZZ Gundam - Good and misunderstood

The only UC series that people love to hate is Gundam ZZ, which I believe is a very misunderstood anime.  In any case, even if you want to just say it sucks, the rest of the UC series are good, not some kind of rotten cesspool/septic tank/garbage scow that this pitiful reviewer falsely alleges. 

If you don't like the UC series, you're really not an old school Gundam fan, and maybe not even a genuine Gundam fan.  Saying the UC series is bad, and the alternative time lines are good is like saying the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi sucked, but the prequels were the bomb.  How about that Jar Jar Binks? 

-USA2011
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:41:15 AM by USA2011 »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:38:43 AM »
So you've watched three episodes, therefore the opinion of someone who's watched the entire series is invalid?  Also, maybe you ought to read his other reviews before questioning Shadowmage's credentials when it comes to the Gundam franchise.

I'm happy to host fruitful, vigorous debates about our reviews on this forum, but the leaps in logic and presumptuous accusations about one of our reviewer's sense of taste won't get you very far.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:28 AM »
Personally, I just find it very condescending for him to come here and tell us to delete a review only because he doesn't agree with it. If I were to follow his logic, I would say that, since I disagree with his opinions, then I want him to be deleted from the forums

*trollface*

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »
Best laugh I've had in a while and easily a 9 out of 10 on the troll scale.  Don't listen to these other scabs, they don't know shit about Gundam like you do.

I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
So you've watched three episodes, therefore the opinion of someone who's watched the entire series is invalid?  Also, maybe you ought to read his other reviews before questioning Shadowmage's credentials when it comes to the Gundam franchise.

That's your misrepresentation of what I wrote.  That's not what I said.  You didn't address what I wrote.

I'm not questioning Shadowmage's credentials, I'm saying his review was very poor and nonsense.  No one needs to read every review a person has made to disagree with one review they wrote.  If that's the case, then you can't disagree with any reviewer of anything (a movie, anime, book, etc) unless you've read everything that reviewer has written about the franchise that movie, anime or book belongs to. 

If what I wrote is poor, it could be shown based upon what I wrote.  It hasn't been.  If what Shadowmage is poor, it could be shown based upon what he wrote.  It has.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:24:53 PM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »
Personally, I just find it very condescending for him to come here and tell us to delete a review only because he doesn't agree with it. If I were to follow his logic, I would say that, since I disagree with his opinions, then I want him to be deleted from the forums

*trollface*

Again, another distortion of what I wrote.  I didn't say delete it because I don't agree with it.  I listed several reasons why the review is a poor one, which of course you didn't address.  Your comments are idiotic.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:54:04 AM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Best laugh I've had in a while and easily a 9 out of 10 on the troll scale.  Don't listen to these other scabs, they don't know shit about Gundam like you do.

The only thing I agree with you on is your username.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:55:52 AM by USA2011 »

Offline USA2011

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
The review is based on the entire series, but your assessment is based on only a small faction of the episodes.

Another distortion.  I don't just criticize the series but other comments made by the reviewer.  Even though my assessment on the series is based only on those three episodes, you don't address those.

Yeah, you said it.

Another distortion.  The fact that I said what I said, does not mean that I said what someone distorted my comment as: "tell us to delete a review only because he doesn't agree with it".  <- Not what I said, but a distortion of what I said.

And this just brightened my day. It's so nice, let's post it thrice.

Yeah, kind of stupid how you can reduce several paragraphs of sound criticism to "hate", but that's all your capable of I suppose. 

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review.

Lemme get this straight: only fans of a particular series should be writing reviews for those series.

Now I see why everything has between 4 to 5 stars on Amazon...

Offline USA2011

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review.

Lemme get this straight: only fans of a particular series should be writing reviews for those series.

It's stupid to equate this: "Please delete that review and get a real Gundam fan to write the review."

To this: "only fans of a particular series should be writing reviews for those series."

However, if you read what I wrote, you'll see that the reviewer spoke about the entire Gundam franchise, so yes you would have to watch all or most of the franchise if you're going to write about it.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
So yes you would have to watch all or most of the franchise if you're going to write about it.

Lemme get this straight: only people who like the larger franchise enough (i.e. are fans) or have nothing better to do than watch series after series of something they hate are qualified to write about a particular series.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see new members on here.

Now I haven't seen Victory Gundam, but apparently you haven't either, so I think I can comment on why I disagree with you.

Then he goes on to say that the franchise has made "hundreds" of episodes of trash.  There aren't hundreds of episodes of any Gundam before the ones he implied were good.  The series that was widely panned (ZZ) even the people who hate it only hate half of the 45 episodes.  Where are the other 180 episodes I'm missing?  Are there some series in the franchise I'm missing (I know about 00 and Turn a Gundam) that accounts for the other 150-180 garbage episodes he's talking about?

He is referring to Wing, Seed, and Seed Destiny (and maybe G Gundam depending on his preference), I believe. Those are the lowest reviewed shows on this site (even ZZ got a higher score), and are considered crap or maybe mediocre. If you think they aren't crap, you can certainly make that argument (but make it as a pm, because you are not going to get a decent argument here), but for the purposes of this review, that is what he is referring to.

Then also, he loves Gundam Victory so much, but that just shows he has no idea what he is writing about.  I've only seen the first three episodes, but those first three were very much inferior to many of the titles I've already mentioned.  He gives Victory a 9/10, but the opening is pretty awful.  It drops you off right in the middle of a fight between the protagonist and the antagonist.  Have there ever been any good films (and I don't just mean anime) that does that?  No, I don't think so.  It's very poor form.  You go through the first episode without having any clue who the two are and why they are fighting.

Fortunately, a show is not defined by the quality of its opening episodes, and the review doesn't even refer to them. Instead, he talks about how he was moved by the tragic consequences of war, the harrowing image of children carrying the coffins of the people who died in the line of fire. Can that really be portrayed effectively in a mere three episodes? Perhaps, but in this case it didn't need to. And yes, I can name one film that starts in the middle of a fight: Star Wars IV: A New Hope (the opening scene shows a Star Destroyer going after a Rebel ship, and we don't know what the hell is going on until after the battle is over.)
There's none of the realism that Gundam fans love.  The mecha designs are somewhat stupid, with the enemy mecha having bug eyes that really serve no purpose except to make them look evil.  I'd put the first episode of almost any Gundam up against the first episode of victory. 

Sweeping generalizations are nice and all, but unfortunately they don't make for good arguments. (I know from experience, trust me.) I love the UC Gundam shows, but I am not in the very least interested in the realism of it. Does that mean I'm not a real Gundam fan? I'm sorry, but the answer is no, and the same applies to Shadowmage. Even if he does care about the realism, he didn't feel it was necessary to bring it up in his review compared to the things that he did bring up, which in my unofficial opinion (since I'm not a real Gundam fan, apparently) are more important.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline USA2011

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
So yes you would have to watch all or most of the franchise if you're going to write about it.

Lemme get this straight: only people who like the larger franchise enough (i.e. are fans) or have nothing better to do than watch series after series of something they hate are qualified to write about a particular series.

It's stupid how you focus more on twisting my words than actually understanding them or disagreeing with them.  You need to learn to read to.  There's nothing in what I wrote that would lead one to the conclusion that I "watch series after series of something they hate."  Also, it shows stupidity that you try to act like you are a big pimp looking down on anime fans on an anime discussion forum.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »

It's stupid how you focus more on twisting my words than actually understanding them or disagreeing with them.  You need to learn to read to.  There's nothing in what I wrote that would lead one to the conclusion that I "watch series after series of something they hate."  Also, it shows stupidity that you try to act like you are a big pimp looking down on anime fans on an anime discussion forum.

Lemme get this straight: disparaging a particular individual is tantamount to disparaging all who share at least one quality with that individual.

Well, I guess I do hate everybody, so there is some credence to this...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up