Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 10:36:10 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Recent Anime Purchase  (Read 54930 times)

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

Re: Most Recent Anime Purchase
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »
Holy ****, almost 40k yen?

This shouldn't surprise you, right? You know how much BDs cost in Japan. :) Actually I got it for a bit less, since Amazon.co.jp is selling these on special right now for like 30k yen.

After all, Anime is an industry that leeches off a very small but dedicated fanbase.

Man, I love this box. I've been staring at it for hours now.

Offline SQA

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
Congrats on the Lucky Star boxed set.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2012, 12:54:38 AM »
Congrats on the Lucky Star boxed set.

Thank you! I will never actually watch it. I'll stick with my BDRips.

Offline SQA

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 12:56:53 AM »
Yeah, I've had that problem for years.  "I feel like watching X, where's my rips, I don't want to get the DVDs out".  (Note, note actually X or X/1999, of which the movie was possibly the worst dub I've ever sat entirely through)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »
I knew DVD prices in Japan for anime were more expensive than here, by a substantial amount, but I didn't realize that the BlueRays were that bad.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
I knew DVD prices in Japan for anime were more expensive than here, by a substantial amount, but I didn't realize that the BlueRays were that bad.

Hey, there's a reason why 5000 units sold is breakeven and 7000 units is considered a success.  I don't know of another entertainment medium where the fans have so much power.   People who purchase the Japanese releases are like millionaire patrons of a string orchestra or something.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline SQA

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »
Well, a lot of "how expensive" the DVDs & BluRays are is due to exchange rate changes.  When a BluRay disc is 5800 yen @ 75 yen to 1 dollar, you have a $77 purchase + shipping.  When it was 120 yen to 1 dollar, that same purchase is $48 + shipping.  Still spendy, but you can understand how the market could stay there.  Since it's an internal to Japan market, discs are priced to what works in Japan.    Oddly enough, they've tried to lower the price, but it really didn't effect purchasing choices much, so they really just made less money.  The result is "lots of extras" for a collectors market.

On the interesting backside, this actually gives Foreign viewers a larger power over the Japanese market.  100 non-Japanese buying a series and importing each of the discs could directly swing a series' profitability.  This is the reason the Gundam series all come with Subtitles for 5 languages now.  Or series that'll never see a US release (like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere) actually have native English subtitles.  There's not a huge market, but even 100+ extra purchases is worth 1 translator's time.

Offline fbon2boe

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2014, 07:48:02 AM »

My New Macross Helmet !!

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2015, 05:04:21 AM »
Purchased DVDs for the first time in months. Xam'd (bought collection II on Blu-ray, first time buying a Blu-ray anime), Bokurano, Michiko to Hatchin, and Birdy the Mighty Decode (I love the S.A.V.E collection). I'm planning on getting Windy Tales next month since a) I'm totally shocked that it's getting a release in the US after it aired like 10 years ago, and b) I haven't been able to find "hard copies" of it anywhere online. I also really wanna get Natsume Yuujinchou but each season's boxset is like 60 bucks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:54:33 AM by hayama »

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »
I'm planning on getting Windy Tales next month since a) I'm totally shocked that it's getting a release in the US after it aired like 10 years ago

*spit-take*

You and me both. This is actually for real? I'm surprised a licensing company even knows of Windy Tales, much less thought enough of its marketability to license and release it stateside.

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2015, 04:09:55 AM »
I know, I'm so surprised as well! It does give me hope that other less marketable favorites like Dennou Coil, Kaiba (well pretty much anything Yuasa), Kyousougiga, and Hyouka could have a chance at being released here (though the recency of the latter two probably gives them more of a chance). I don't necessarily like owning everything illegally, but a lot of my favorites don't really allow me any room to have any other form of a physical copy. But shows like Bokurano and especially Windy Tales gives me some hope that anonymous series will get the chance to make it to the states, even if only in a subbed form.

Offline SQA

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:56 AM »
I'm planning on getting Windy Tales next month since a) I'm totally shocked that it's getting a release in the US after it aired like 10 years ago

*spit-take*

You and me both. This is actually for real? I'm surprised a licensing company even knows of Windy Tales, much less thought enough of its marketability to license and release it stateside.

I was really surprised as well.  And I don't think anyone ever ripped the DVD, so there's no HD version of it otherwise available, to my knowledge.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2015, 09:22:22 PM »
I was really surprised as well.  And I don't think anyone ever ripped the DVD, so there's no HD version of it otherwise available, to my knowledge.

Without naming sources, there are definitely DVD rips out there (else I wouldn't have been able to watch it, haha).

Though I'm kind of tempted into getting the stateside release now as a little way of telling licensing companies, "Any given series" - though it being quite the pleasant experimental series doesn't hurt either. Just have to find a way to scrape the $35 or so off some other expense.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
Got my Blu-ray copy of Ping Pong and I received my DVD of Natsuyuki Rendezvous. Anxious to check out the dub for the former, but I need to finish rewatching the latter first.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline KS

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »
Does buying merchandise like a model kit count cause in which case I bought this a few weeks back.  For those who didn't follow G-Reco it's called the G-Arcane and it's extremely pimpin'.  I guess it would be kind of hard to explain the appeal of this design to non-kit builders and mecha heads so people will just have to take my word on it if that's the case.  Maybe Kavik Ryx can try though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Up