Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 05:45:49 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You and me  (Read 7909 times)

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

You and me
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »

Slice of life with four boys. Pardon me while I /SQUEAL!!!!

This probably will be MY show for this season. Has it been done before? What's with the comparison to cats? Some of the jokes gave me a good smirk like Shun getting stuck in the middle of nap time and Kaname's indirect kiss. Meanwhile ...

/SSSSQQQQQEEEAALLLLLLL!!!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: You and me
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:36:52 AM »
Man, that's just gay.

1:

So what's Kimi to Boku in short? Take any female-centric, 4-girl show (K-On/A-Channel/YuruYuri), reverse it and you get the show. Is it a good thing? Heck no.

But there's a noticeable difference between Kimi to Boku and other 4-girl shows (jeez, what's up with shows that have 4 lead characters??): the tone is very subdued, thus making it feel like it's a drama more than a slice-of-life. It certainly feels that way, but the content is nothing more than slice-of-life. The problem is, IT'S TERRIBLY BORING. K-On was moexploitative, YuruYuri tried to go with quirky (but repetitive) gags, and A-Channel was just bland. Kimi to Boku is a lot like A-Channel, judging from the first episode.

Why do I feel like I'm looking at a band of 4 sisters instead of brothers? We have a tsukkomi, a girl (in a boy's clothing >.>), and two deadbeat twins. Nothing about their conversations are interesting, the quirky moments was only successful at curving up the end of my mouth by a millimeter, and nothing about their personalities catch my attention. I haven't sensed any form of gratuituousness from the show just yet, but I can't help but think that this is gratuitous bishie service for female fans.

Nothing happens. Not like in a "slice of life ordinary life" sense; NOTHING REALLY HAPPENS.

C3, Phi Brain and now Kimi to Boku. Three shows which I feel like dropping by the 3rd episode... is this season going to be the worst for the year 2011?

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:09:09 PM »
Man, that's just gay.

And? What of it? :P Admit it, bromance is hot.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:30:55 PM by Yggberry »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
1:

That was ****ing terrible.  Someone find the writers for this show and instruct them on how to set up a gag.  Then tell them how to set up the punchline.  Never have I seen such an obvious attempt at comedy be so ****ing unfunny.

The worst part is, I got most of the "jokes" and still didn't laugh.  My brother, whose anime experience is pretty limited, had one eyebrow raised the whole time trying to figure out why this was even made.  I couldn't answer him.  Best I could offer is a male version of Lucky Star (he's seen that, was the only 4koma SOL frame of reference I had).

But this aint Lucky Star.  Oh, sure, Lucky Star had that disastrous first episode, but you could at least tell they were aware of what comedy was and quickly they learned that dragging out a setup that long to an unrewarding punchline didn't work.  This show has more problems than that.

Yeesh... the third episode can't come fast enough so I can meet the requirements necessary to dump it.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
1:

That was ****ing terrible.  Someone find the writers for this show and instruct them on how to set up a gag.  Then tell them how to set up the punchline.  Never have I seen such an obvious attempt at comedy be so ****ing unfunny.

The worst part is, I got most of the "jokes" and still didn't laugh.  My brother, whose anime experience is pretty limited, had one eyebrow raised the whole time trying to figure out why this was even made.  I couldn't answer him.  Best I could offer is a male version of Lucky Star (he's seen that, was the only 4koma SOL frame of reference I had).

But this aint Lucky Star.  Oh, sure, Lucky Star had that disastrous first episode, but you could at least tell they were aware of what comedy was and quickly they learned that dragging out a setup that long to an unrewarding punchline didn't work.  This show has more problems than that.

Yeesh... the third episode can't come fast enough so I can meet the requirements necessary to dump it.

It isn't meant to be "funny". Just like K-On! It is all about the cute factor. I don't think I have ever actually laughed while watching K-On! besides the one time with the strawberry thief incident.  I think this show is more like one of those K-comedies, minus all the weird gag noises. Girls are suppose to stare at the four boys and go HNNNNGGGHHH like you guys do when you stare at ... um ... yeah.

Nevertheless, North America has to be the most homophobic continent on this planet. When men shares a good relationship with each other, they have to be either act like a muscle-head or funny or they'll be labeled gay. I think everyone here will get a culture shock when they go to any park/museum/school ground/university/zoo in Japan, China, Korea, or heck any Asian country and see guys holding hands with each other or resting their head on each others laps. It isn't gay, they are just a lot more comfortable with themselves than we are.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »
It isn't meant to be "funny". Just like K-On! It is all about the cute factor. I don't think I have ever actually laughed while watching K-On! besides the one time with the strawberry thief incident.  I think this show is more like one of those K-comedies, minus all the weird gag noises. Girls are suppose to stare at the four boys and go HNNNNGGGHHH like you guys do when you stare at ... um ... yeah.

Except that K-On! tried to be funny.  Granted, the popularity of it ends up being the cute girls being retards moe but the underlying reason for retardation is an attempt at humor.  It just ****ing failed.

And saying this is like K-On! doesn't save it from my wrath in a very basic and primal way:  I hated K-On! too.  Far as I am concerned, if this is attempting to be the male K-On!, it might as well be tossed into a pit filled with the shit of 500 angry pigs.  I'll be ****ing damned if I'm going to go through that experience again.

Nevertheless, North America has to be the most homophobic continent on this planet. When men shares a good relationship with each other, they have to be either act like a muscle-head or funny or they'll be labeled gay. I think everyone here will get a culture shock when they go to any park/museum/school ground/university/zoo in Japan, China, Korea, or heck any Asian country and see guys holding hands with each other or resting their head on each others laps. It isn't gay, they are just a lot more comfortable with themselves than we are.

What's this "we" shit, white girl?  You're talking to a guy who grew up in a time before the Gay 90's.  I know what being a guy was like before everything got "weird".  Now, North American homophobes are trying to re-find that lost true friendship lost, but they're using stupid-ass monickers like "bros!" to do it.  It's the same shit, just a piss poor and obvious attempt at trying to make the whole thing masculine so they don't seem gay.

I've never had a problem with gay people.  I've also never had a problem with having a true guy best friend.  And my developing hatred for this show has nothing to do with any of this.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »
That's a horrible generalization.  Don't paint an entire continent by its worst.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 11:59:11 PM »
Is this season going to be the worst for the year 2011?

Nope. It has potential to be one of the best.

Offline XRavsterX

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:44:34 AM »
Like has already been said, this is just an attempt to cater for the female anime fans just like the 4-girl SOLs cater to male anime fans.

It's going to fail so hard.

Oh wait. It already has.

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
Nevertheless, North America has to be the most homophobic continent on this planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_homosexuality_laws.svg

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 05:48:40 PM »
Except that K-On! tried to be funny.  Granted, the popularity of it ends up being the cute girls being retards moe but the underlying reason for retardation is an attempt at humor.  It just ****ing failed.

And saying this is like K-On! doesn't save it from my wrath in a very basic and primal way:  I hated K-On! too.  Far as I am concerned, if this is attempting to be the male K-On!, it might as well be tossed into a pit filled with the shit of 500 angry pigs.  I'll be ****ing damned if I'm going to go through that experience again.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Maybe you are right, this show might suck as the rest of the season draws out. But for now the first episode is still a /squeal-fest in my book.

What's this "we" shit, white girl?  You're talking to a guy who grew up in a time before the Gay 90's.  I know what being a guy was like before everything got "weird".  Now, North American homophobes are trying to re-find that lost true friendship lost, but they're using stupid-ass monickers like "bros!" to do it.  It's the same shit, just a piss poor and obvious attempt at trying to make the whole thing masculine so they don't seem gay.

And LOL! I just got called a white girl by TIF. This is signature worthy. Twinkie, maybe, but a white girl? No.

I've never had a problem with gay people.  I've also never had a problem with having a true guy best friend.  And my developing hatred for this show has nothing to do with any of this.

I think my following rant was more aimed towards AC. But I was lazy and had my java off so I didn't want to double quote. Sorry if you felt slanted on. But even though you don't have a problem with it, can you say that you have a best friend who is a guy and that you two are almost inseparable, yet not being afraid of being labeled gay?

That's a horrible generalization.  Don't paint an entire continent by its worst.

It is not generalization. It is the truth. And it is being displayed on a daily basis. (And heavily influenced by media.) Tell me if you go out right now and see two guys holding hands with each other while walking down the street and that the thought of "gayness" won't be the first thing that pops into your head. Or how about sharing a bed with another guy and it is cold because there is no heater and you guys have to hug each other to keep yourself warm. This happens everyday, especially in boarding schools in the east. Heck try going to a few of your friends and ask them if they want to take a shower with you and see what their reactions will be. Not too good I would think.

Nevertheless, North America has to be the most homophobic continent on this planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_homosexuality_laws.svg

Yep, if it is posted on Wiki, then it MUST be true! But it probably is, I don't know myself since I have never been to the middle east. However, I have been to Beijing, Tianjing, Hong Kong, Dalian, Nanjing, Tokyo, Osaka, and Seoul many times. So I can confirm on what I say. And I think you are misunderstanding my point about homophobia. I'm more referring to homophobic towards yourself instead of by law or religion.

Whew ... turning java off. I think I'm way over my head. No point in debating this since we all grew up with different experiences. I'm done spilling my hearts out on this topic and that's that. You guys can have the last words but I will be keeping up with this show and sharing my thoughts on it. Good or bad.

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:48:46 PM »
So, you don't think that law, and especially religious belief, reflect the attitudes of the populace?

Also, I think Wikipedia is much more accurate than the anecdotal evidence of some kid on the Internet.  It seems to me that you are seriously cherry picking your data -- for each example of non-tolerance you cook up, I can give a counterexample.  My point isn't that my counterexamples mean more, it's that they're all totally meaningless.  Argument by anecdote is the most pointless exercise in futility in the world.

Finally, I didn't want to get into a detailed argument, but I think you're still totally wrong that North America is more homophobic than Asia or Africa/Middle-East.  First, it's an essential non-issue in Canada.  In the United States, the law varies widely from state to state, but I'd say the data is skewed because the states that accept it tend to be more populous.  Right now fundamentalist Islam is strong in many Africa and Middle-Eastern countries and because of this these countries are certainly not gay-friendly.  Asian culture is surely more conservative than Western culture.  It's true that people are more touchy, but if this indicates tolerance of homosexuality then by the same logic, jocks who shower together and slap each other's asses should be the most tolerant, and we know that actually the opposite is true.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
Yep, DrIdiot has nailed it.  The first thing I thought of when reading Yggberry's description of "bromoerotic" (for lack of a better word to describe it) behaviour was the sports locker room, and that's not exactly an environment known for its tolerance of homosexuality.  As far as that sort of touchy feely stuff at all-boys boarding schools goes, that happens everywhere.  That's not a cultural thing, that's just a consequence of putting a bunch of hormonal boys in a closed environment with limited access to girls.  Some just happen to have less inhibitions than others.  They're certainly not thinking about how tolerant they are about homoerotic behaviour when they do it.
Yep, if it is posted on Wiki, then it MUST be true! But it probably is, I don't know myself since I have never been to the middle east. However, I have been to Beijing, Tianjing, Hong Kong, Dalian, Nanjing, Tokyo, Osaka, and Seoul many times. So I can confirm on what I say. And I think you are misunderstanding my point about homophobia. I'm more referring to homophobic towards yourself instead of by law or religion.
Here's the thing.  Your claim wasn't that East Asia is more tolerant than North America.  Your claim was that North America is the most homophobic continent on the planet.  If we go by laws as a metric, firstly, Africa and the Middle East are worlds behind the rest of the world, and second, North America (Canada specifically) is leaving East Asia in its dust.  None of the places you listed have laws that recognize same-sex couples.  And considering where the LGBT civil rights movement is at the moment, legal recognition of same-sex unions and the legalization of gay marriage are two of the most important issues on the agenda, at least in the West.

I get that using laws as a metric might not always be correct, because laws don't always perfectly reflect the attitudes of the larger population.  But I take it as a significantly more sound metric than anecdotal data.  It's infinitely easier and more productive to debate with facts that can be verified rather than personal experiences.

Anyway, this is obviously getting off-topic, so I'll allow all posters to have a "last word" on the topic up until episode 2 comes out.  If you want to continue the discussion further, feel free to start a new thread on the Miscellaneous forum.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
And LOL! I just got called a white girl by TIF. This is signature worthy. Twinkie, maybe, but a white girl? No.

It's a quote, actually, from a Lone Ranger joke.  The Lone Ranger, surrounded by Indians, says "Looks like we're in trouble, Tonto" and Tonto says "What's this 'we' shit, white man?".  Also used in the movie Turk 182 in a similar fashion.

No particular racial implication intended.

But even though you don't have a problem with it, can you say that you have a best friend who is a guy and that you two are almost inseparable, yet not being afraid of being labeled gay?

I have two gay brothers, but no best friends who are (openly) gay.  But, no, I wouldn't be "afraid" of some other moron who doesn't know our relationship labeling me gay by association.  I am what I am and the only person whose opinion I care about it is mine.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »
I think my following rant was more aimed towards AC.

Why, was it something I said?

edit:

2:

Tulips? I wasn't expecting that. Should've been pansies instead; yeah, since the show features a character who's basically a pansy (in an effeminate sense, not a homosexual one so chill).

To be fair, I still think that this show is the inverse version of K-On, which is moexploitative, so that makes You and Me... "bishiexploitative", I guess. It's basically fodder for those who digs Hetalia Axis Power and such. Yet, I will give some credit to the second episode because it's much better than the first. Not just because something did happen, but how I honestly sense warmth from the show. Never mind that it features a girl who's very likely a tsundere (kinda sick of this character archetype already), the show still handled the subplot between her and Shun pretty decently.

I'll give this show a chance and not drop it. It may be subjected to more bashing from me, but my guts tell me that the show has more to offer me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:47:21 AM by AC »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up