Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 04:50:02 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nurarihyon no Mago  (Read 13193 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Nurarihyon no Mago
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »
2:

Hogart's right. Maybe this show is taking a step in the right direction.

I agree with him when he says that the show (or at least, the second episode) feels different this time round. The atmosphere has become considerably and deliciously darker and the fight scenes look and feel way better. And for once, the story MOVES. Not at snail pace that the whole of first season did, but move at a rate that I can vouch for.

But the first season has done way too much damage for one episode to fix. There are still a number of issues that can be addressed, like Rikuo's character, characterization for the bloated cast, and Yura's role in the show. I hope that this episode isn't an isolated case and that this show is really gonna be better, and Sennen Makyou really makes me take back what I said before (i.e. "The boring shit of the season.")

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 04:29:58 AM »
3:

Ah buggers.

Rikuo's fight against Yura's brother is reminiscent of that memorable fight between Kenshin and Saitou: just when the fight is getting juicier, it ends with an anti-climatic conclusion. Yes, and it had my mouth foaming. It looks like this show is stepping in the right direction. Yes, it may be clichéd with the whole "Name-That-Move" thing that's synonymous with shounen shows and the same goes for the overarching plot (i.e. the whole "powerful-villain-broke-out-of-maximum-prison-and-ready-screw-everyone-and-everything" storyline), but it's still better than all the fluff and garbage I had to put up with in the first season.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
4:

The story is now focusing on the origins of Nurarihyon and the show's main antagonist, which is what I've been looking forward to. It seems that the story is more plot-driven, the pacing is more brisk and more streamlined than the first season, which is most definitely a step towards the right direction. No more annoying and frilly Rikuo and Co.'s paranormal hunting and such; it's purely concentrating on the important stuff such as character exploration (of the people that MATTERS) and story development. And now, I'm glad to see what's the connection between Yura and her clan, and Nurarihyon.

Right now, I think I've asked this before but why the difference in characters compared to the present? The Keicho Era's Yuki Onna, or Setsura, is clearly not the same as the present Yuki-Onna, and a number of Nurarihyon's clan members seem to be different. Are they the predecessors of the present characters i.e. their grandmothers/grandfathers? If they are, then why are some of the so-called "old generation" clan members such as Gyuki still around? What happen to Keicho Era's Yuki-Onna eventually? I hope this gets addressed, because otherwise it would seem inconsistent. Even Keicho Era's Nurarihyon is obviously not Nura-Rikuo. One more question: if the blonde-haired demon is Nurarihyon himself and Rikuo is, well... Rikuo, then what happened to Rikuo's dad? Why a missing link?

As you can see, there are a number of issues to be addressed.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »
5:

Meh, the action sequences are very underwhelming, which is unfortunate when every aesthetic aspect of the show has been above-average and a lot better than the first season. I can't help but feel that this episode is very Inuyasha-ish: an all-powerful demon is at hand, Nurarihyon defeats it (in a rather simple way despite how the show tries to portray how difficult it was), and everything ends. It's just straightforward shounen fare.

6:

Well, this is unexpected.

First, Nurarihyon was seen as this "PHWOAR"-like powerful hero who was untouchable in the first season, but now he's being reduced to a demonic errand boy. What gives? It's not necessarily bad to see him like this - it might make him more relatable and likable - but what a stark and jarring contrast between this Nurarihyon and that Nurarihyon. Not to mention, it's also very weird: shouldn't Nurarihyon training to be a clan leader be happening ahead of the Shikkoku arc?

Plus, I feel quite disappointed at how the pacing is slowing down here. The first few episodes gave me the impression that the show may be going for speedier plot development, but seeing that this is a 2-cour show, it's putting its feet up and slowing things down. Are things going back to how it used to be i.e. goddamn boring? Maybe, although I sure hope not.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 07:14:24 AM »
7~8:

lolwut.

I'm not liking the plot one bit. Firstly, Hagoromo-Gitsune's journey in destroying the seals is so similar to the plot in the first season; sure, the plot is moving way faster, but still, it's nothing different from what I've already seen. That, and there's the issue of how Nurarihyon's training seemed to have ended quicker than I imagined.

Plus, I see two immediate turn-offs: one is Nurarihyon's pretentiousness where he can switch between being cocky and a loser, and the other is the trash-talking which is synonymous with most shounen shows.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
9~10:

Okay, now this is becoming like Inuyasha with One Piece.

Why is the Kiyojuji Paranormal Activity Patrol is around? This is one aspect of the Nurarihyon no Mago storyline that needs to be scrapped; they've been nothing more than a liability and a plot device for any shit to happen. Furthermore, if they're out of the picture for good, then there's more airtime to explore other characters that matter, especially when the cast has pretty much grown in number.

I hate how the Ryuuji-Akifusa dispute gets resolved by some deus ex machina resolution, and not being explored further. I was hoping that face-off and feud could have been fleshed out, or even better, dedicate one whole episode to explore the two's past. The two have a history together, so why not do so? Instead, it's a feud that lasted only for a while, and it gets wrapped up with Yura gaining some "PHWOAR" powers.

This also brings to another point: the pacing of the story is too fast. I said before that it's a step-up to see the second season developing a tad faster than the first season, but there comes a point where it should be slowing down. Seeing Yura attaining some awesome power (more specifically, a power so drastic for one who hasn't made that much impact in the whole of last season and this season's first few episodes) is like reaching the tenth level of a building without going through the first nine. Analogously, I was hoping that the progress from level one to level ten would be faster, and I did it see that for a short while. In Yura's case, she just became oh so powerful too soon.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
11~12:

Why's there always the "villain who wants to challenge stronger prey"? It's quickly becoming a trope or some kind.

The plot is certainly developing at a decent pace, but the characters still haven't won my favor. Nura Rikuo is still lacking the charisma of a leader, even if he has the swagger of one. I just don't see what's so fascinating about as a character, let alone a character.

Then, there's also too much "Name that Move/Character" that the show could've gone without completely.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 05:49:28 AM »
13~14:

Well, I have to say: these two episodes are among the best in the whole Nurarihyon storyline, only because it's getting down to the things that matters in most shounen action shows: the battle scenes. Despite the tacky "Name-that-Move" sequences, the fights are nicely choreographed and even barely ingenious (the 27-Headed demon fight was kinda creative).

And finally, I get to see what I've been waiting for a long time: Nurarihyon and his clan getting humbled and pounded to the ground. It's moments like this where I can see Nurarihyon's mettle and stand a chance to flesh out the charisma which I think the character was severely lacking in season 1. And Gyuki still remains to be the best character so far; the ending scene proves that his loyalty lies more in the clan rather than in Nurarihyon himself, and further justifies his attempt to kill him in the previous season.

edit:

15~16:

Sigh, this show has reverted back to its old ways (more specifically, old bad habits). It's such a waste though, especially when the previous two episodes did pretty well with just showing the good action stuff without all the long-winded dialogue to kill the fun. Now, it's gone back with the action sequences that ironically focuses more on the trash talk rather than the action itself. As a result, I feel like I'm watching fights that are more of a battle of egos (i.e. about who can walk-to-walk more than talk-to-talk) rather than a battle of strengths, and this pisses me off.

The flashbacks of the individual characters to depict their loyalty to Nurarihyon is fine and all - they're decently portrayed although severely lacking emotional punch - but what I hate about all of them is this hackneyed overarching theme of having to protect someone in order to become strong. I think it was either ghostlightning or Baka-Rapter (I think it's the latter) who said before that fights based on protecting someone suck, and here's one example why.

Another thing about Nurarihyon no Mago that sucks? The Ghost Patrol. Dear god, have they served an purpose to this show other than being deadweight liabilities? In fact, what's the point of including them in the show when the main focus has been on Rikuo's demonic side rather than his human (school) life?

This series is just so inconsistent.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:23:44 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 05:44:22 AM »
17~19:

Another bad habit: everytime it has a good action sequence going on, it gets destructively interrupted by some frilly distractions, i.e. some trash talking or comedic relief. Especially for the latter, it's the last thing I want to see in a cutthroat fight. I always like my action fast and furious without any interruption, which is why, despite the story being shitty, I love watching Guilty Crown week after week. When the fun starts, it doesn't stop until it ends indefinitely. Not here though, the comedic relief just has to come in during the fight itself.

Another thing I didn't quite like is how Nura Rikuo didn't fight Tsuchigumo one-on-one. I know that the overraching point of the story in Nurarihyon no Mago (in fact, in every other shounen show) is to rely on your friends for help, but here is one situation where I was hoping to see Rikuo's mettle as a leader, without the help of his horde. Tsuchigumo has been the most interesting villain so far, and I wanted to see a slugfest between the two.

Oh, and WHY AM I still seeing that stupid ghost patrol?? Why do they, along with Kana, even exist in the first place?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 06:28:31 AM »
20~21:

As usual, this show allows its bad habits to get the better of what it's decent at i.e. its decent fights are often marred by intrusive, long-winded trash-talks, history lessons and "Name-that-Move" techniques, killing any form of momentum built up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up