Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 12:09:32 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter X Hunter  (Read 49534 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Hunter X Hunter
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

Ah, a blast from my past that I honesstly didn't think would get a second life.  Though I usually don't usually watch such straight-forward shounen anime, I'm going to let nostalgia guide me on this one.  Considering that Madhouse usually doesn't mess up adaptations, I think that the show is in good hands.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

Re: Hunter X Hunter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
I recently finished the original Hunter x Hunter and liked it quite a bit after the slow beginning. Looks like Madhouse is making like FMA: Brotherhood and speeding through the less compelling material to get to the meatier part of the story, which is fine by me.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:26:01 AM »
Looks like Madhouse is making like FMA: Brotherhood and speeding through the less compelling material to get to the meatier part of the story, which is fine by me.
Actually, I would argue that the Madhouse adaptation follows the manga more closely... almost scene for scene as a matter of fact.  It's just that the additional material in the first anime actually added to the overall narrative so it didn't come across as filler.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:34:48 AM »
I'll take your word for it, since I have yet to read the manga! But, yeah, that's what I'm hearing. The extra bits that are in the original series are nice, but there's development there that can be explored later, so it's not too big a deal for me.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »
1:

Truth be told, I've never watched the first Hunter X Hunter series so by default, I shouldn't be getting any sense of nostalgia from watching a new adaptation. However, I do get a sense of nostalgia because of another reason: it has the same vibes as One Piece episode 1 (yeah, that was WAY back in the day).

It's a classic story: a simple but optimistic boy goes out into the real world wanting to face new challenges and meet new people. There's nothing contrived to it; a classic shounen adventure show. Yet, it's not a bad thing either; in a time where the anime industry is plagued by cheap shounen action fodder, it's a breath of fresh air to see a show that refers back to the basics of storytelling. Decent pacing, likable characters, and lots of room for expansion.

From the above, I can tell that we're in for a long but otherwise fun ride. Not sure how long, but at least it's not a bad show. Hopefully, it won't be as long as One Piece, which is a show I loved but have gone too long past its expiry date.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
1-3:

Having never seen any Hunter x Hunter before or read any of the manga, this is my first exposure to it.  It's not terrible, but I do wonder what the big effin' deal is.  So far it seems like it wants to be somewhat smart at times, but the intelligence is quickly lost by typical shounen brainlessness.  I think it might be the art style and character designs that really do it in.  They're so bright and fluffy... a stark contrast to the events going on around them.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
1-3:

Having never seen any Hunter x Hunter before or read any of the manga, this is my first exposure to it.  It's not terrible, but I do wonder what the big effin' deal is.  So far it seems like it wants to be somewhat smart at times, but the intelligence is quickly lost by typical shounen brainlessness. I think it might be the art style and character designs that really do it in.  They're so bright and fluffy... a stark contrast to the events going on around them.

LOL. You didn't even watch the original and already grasped exactly what's making many HxH fans mad at this remake. The original was way darker and the character designs were awesome. I seriously don't know what they will do once it reaches York Shin arc. That arc is made by violence o.o.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
Excuse me for ressurecting this thread, but is anyone watching this? Believe me, it's worth it. The adaptation is actually pretty good so far.

Offline BloodMoney

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »
Excuse me for ressurecting this thread, but is anyone watching this? Believe me, it's worth it. The adaptation is actually pretty good so far.

Yeah, I still think this is one of the better shows that is airing now. Even with amazing shows like Sakimichi, Fate/Zero, and Space Bros., this is the one show I look forward to the most each week.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »

Yeah, I still think this is one of the better shows that is airing now. Even with amazing shows like Sakimichi, Fate/Zero, and Space Bros., this is the one show I look forward to the most each week.

Yes, it's in my top 3 of the ones I look foward the most (Uchuu Kyoudai, HxH, Sakamichi). HxH is an amazing shounen.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »

Still watching it.  Not much really to talk about, honestly.  Though I was going to start bitching about how this has been a good "variety" shounen show up until recently with the fighting and the tournament in the tower.  Hopefully it'll pick back up again with the strategy and the situational planning and stuff it was doing before.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »

Still watching it.  Not much really to talk about, honestly.  Though I was going to start bitching about how this has been a good "variety" shounen show up until recently with the fighting and the tournament in the tower.  Hopefully it'll pick back up again with the strategy and the situational planning and stuff it was doing before.

York Shin arc is coming up, don't worry  8)

Offline BloodMoney

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
Ep 35

Ok episode but that fight... holy shit.

Offline leokiko.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »
HISOKA'S SHINING CROTCH!

The fight was godlike.

Offline leokiko.