Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 11:40:18 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter X Hunter  (Read 48162 times)

Offline MCAL

Re: Hunter X Hunter
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »
75:
And with this Hunter x Hunter will make history next week. I laughed at how it end exactly at the same point the OVA ended. The chimera ant arc is new ground for me and all I know is that it will be brutal so I for one can't wait.

And in case you weren't aware... Gon is freaking insane!!!

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »

HELL YEAH.  WE ANT ARC NOW!

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 02:07:26 AM »
76:

History is being made and we're off to a great start. The mood is immediately more somber than Greed Island too.

Offline KS

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 06:25:05 AM »
The voice of Char Aznable in Hunter x Hunter.  Truly history is being made indeed! :D

Offline MCAL

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
76:
Anime history has been made! Cue the disgruntled manga fans who can't think outside the box! LOL!

And Shuichi Ikeda as Kite is f*cking awesome!

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
80:

It just keeps getting crueler. That episode was amazing.

Togashi is simply brilliant. This is probably my favorite current running anime, and has been for a while, but what's astounding is the consistent greatness of it. Hunter x Hunter may in fact go down as the best shonen action title of all time in my book. Much props to Madhouse.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
Ponzu ;_;

That was gut wrenchingly cruel.

Offline Clicking

• Reviewer
    • Clicking's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with readysetshazam using Skype
    • @ClickinClackin
    • Pretense with Glasses | An anime blog.

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
80:

That was directed damn well. Although Gyro's backstory didn't flow into the second half as well as I had hoped, it's hard to complain when both stories were just so beautifully told. It's one thing to shock the audience, but Koujina's proven that he has what it takes to disturb and horrify when the script calls for it.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
80:
The most disturbing Sunday morning cartoon ever made. In just one episode they surpassed the brutality of Yorkshin.

Offline KS

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
One area of increasing interest by the episode for me is the increasingly complex social structure and hierarchy of the Chimera Ant colony as more and more genes are mixed within the pool.  If you think about it the way it's been portrayed so far the Chimera Ants are like a literal representation of a melting pot society like the Western countries of the world except you're combining not only genes and egos, but peoples memories and social leanings.  You've got Colt who has the memories of a child but the temperament of a wizened general who knows where to draw the line and believes in staying loyal to the queen by giving her the food she requests.  You have the huge egos of some of the other commanders vying for the human food and defying the wishes of the Queen and Colt and you have the Queen herself who is fast becoming like a simple minded relic compared to her more advanced children whose role has been reduced solely to the purpose of giving birth while Colt seems to run the day to day goings on of the colony.  Colt is the most interesting one to me so far and might as well fulfill the roles of Prime Minister at this rate and who seems to be struggling with the quota's he's being given, controlling his ever increasingly stratified and genetically spliced army (Do I increase soldier count and risk losing control of the army or do I culling the herd to maintain order and risk displeasing the queen).

Then you have the NGL cults hatred for humanity mixing with the Chimera ants own leanings which Kite describes as the worst case scenario (I swear you see this sort of thing in Rammot most of all) and it just gets that much more complex.  Really wasn't expecting this sort of socio-polticial complexity out of this arcs titular antagonists but it's more than welcome.  I sort of have no problems with Togashi going on frequent hiatus (not solely because of the all but confirmed rumor that he's a stroke survivor) if it helps him to come up with these ever increasingly fleshed out sagas.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 03:02:30 AM »
Thus far this arc has been worth the decade of waiting. I haven't seen a truly good shounen since the original. Hunter x Hunter continues to have some of the most interesting antagonists I've ever seen. It was nice to get a glimpse of the dynamic the Hunter Association has with global authorities, which apparently is some council of world leaders. That kind of world building is something I felt was always lacking. Lacking in the sense that it was absent but not necessary. It's nice to see but its absence didn't detract from the original. I know the next arc delves a bit more into the Hunter Association.

Any who, I'm enjoying it.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
84:

My god! Was that INTENSE?!! I didn't think I'd see something surpass the events of episode 80 so quickly. But this is Yoshiro Togashi we are talking about. I should have known better. I'd like to see other thoughts on this episode.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »
To watch the rise of not only the antagonist group, but, the rise of an entire species is truly something to behold. The affect individualism had on the social structure seems to be nullified by overwhelming power, which makes sense. The Chimera Ants act in accordance to their instincts but their intellect allows them to operate with a certain degree of discretion. They were already formidable foes equipped with the various mutations evolution had to offer. However, thanks to their reasoning skills they've unlocked the only thing which made humans a credible threat. So now, armed with nen, they are essentially just humans on steroids. They are naturally stronger, faster, durable and apparently, as shown in this episode, virtually limitless is strength. The queen just keeps poppin' out upgrades like she's Apple.

The newest girl, the Royal Guard, kinda upsets me. She doesn't seem, at least superficially, to have any animal qualities which would benefit her. She does appear to be a cat-girl so maybe she's really agile. Point is, with their inherent ability to incorporate various qualities of other species into the next generation, it seems logical that the epitome of the Chimera Ants would be a melting pot of all the best traits nature had to over with human intelligence thrown on top. Though maybe she is just that and it simply isn't represented visually.

Rammot's talk of talent and the cat-girl's birth made me smile, genetic determinism and all. Though I suppose Chimera Ants as a whole are representative of such.

Each episode of this arc has had me enthralled throughout. The pacing is slow but perfect.   

Offline MCAL

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »
85:
Yawn… Another excellent and mindblowing episode of Hunter x Hunter. Tell me what else is new?

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
85:

And this is why Hunter x Hunter stands to possibly be the great shonen anime of all time. That episode was ridiculously good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24   Go Up