Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 12:55:10 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yuri Kuma Arashi  (Read 11921 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Yuri Kuma Arashi
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:11 PM »
6:

Suki. Kisu.  Mirrors...

Su-ki
Ki-su
Mirrors.

Mirrors...

I'm on to you, Ikuhara...
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
9:

Baaaa-a-ack!  Kuma back!

And we continue down the Ikuharan golden brick road to the land of Oz.  Gonna take some serious duct tape to fix this mess.  But we don't care about that.  What do we care about?  Lots of lesbian scenes!  Duh!

Aww.. poor Life Sexy... shaba-da-doo...

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »
Taking this in at the same time as Dracula is a lot of fun due to their similarities. Both stories depict unconscious sexual urges as monstrous and aberrant, and fittingly, sexual repression plays heavily into each of these stories. It's just interesting to find these stories, separated by more than a century and at least one culture, talking about the exact same thing.

On recent developments, I am enjoying this a lot more now since we know what the Wall of Severance is really for and what a "bear" really is. In any case, I can see this ending in one of two ways: 1) desire is vanquished and the status quo is protected, or 2) desire is assimilated and things change.

The great thing about a story told through blunt metaphors is that you never have to wonder if something is symbolic.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
9:

YKA, taking bluntness to a whole new level.

Come on, Ikhuara. Is there really anyone still watching this who's so lost as to need you outright spelling out little things like this for them, especially since YKA is your least subtle original work to date? There's no need for you to sell yourself short this late in the game.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 09:17:33 PM »
12:

No, Lulu.  "Clever" means "don't jump in front of bullets, no matter how much they love someone".  Silly ol' bear.

I'm wondering if Ikuhara needed another episode for this, because the issue with Ginko overcoming her base instincts and desires was rather quickly done.  I almost am not sure why he bothered with that plot twist to begin with.  Aside from thinning the ranks of lesbian bear hunters, did it really do anything for Ginko's character?  At the end of the day, whatever resolution that will come between Kureha and Ginko is going to be about them getting over their past mistakes and moving forward, and maybe that's what this whole story was supposed to be about in the first place.  Not breaking societal barriers regarding sexual orientation, not about conformity vs. individuality, not about bears running amok licking other girls lilies, but about recognizing that you screwed up and that you can forgive and forget.

Or maybe Freud was right, and sometimes a cigar is just a bear licking honey from some naked teenage girl's lily.  I don't know anymore!

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »
12:

This ending was just as I'd hoped.

From the beginning, this story has always been about walls. More than the Severance Barrier placed between the humans and the bears, there are also the internal barriers that the humans erect within themselves to keep themselves clean at the cost of being isolated from one another. The bears, on the other hand, try to pursue intimacy at the cost of consuming the object of their desire. In either case, the problem of isolation still persists. But Kureha's decision to become a bear wraps up one of the show's running themes: that forming a true connection with someone means dirtying yourself; it means changing yourself self and breaking out of predefined roles and boxes to genuinely reach out to another person.

I admit that's a lot of words for a show about lesbian sex and SYMBOLISM, but while it didn't have the kind of emotional punch that I'd have wanted, I do appreciate what this show had to say each week.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
1-12: For a show that tackles betrayal, childhood promises, social exclusion and family, the catchphrases (growl, shabadoo, etc)  and the out of place yuri element (are these girls really serious about licking a naked girl's lily?) distracted my viewing experience. Also, the survival strategy of Penguindrum can only be effective for once. I really don't know, it also lacks emotional punch. The last two episodes were supposed to be dramatic and all I can say is "Eh...that's it?". 5/10
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up