Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 06:28:52 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/Zero  (Read 58775 times)

Offline Jack Rav

Re: Fate/Zero
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
5:

Berserker was animated deliciously for the entirety of the time he was on the screen; I hope to see more of him for his animation alone. (Not to mention he is pretty badass) Kariya also has the most noble cause (that I know of yet) out of the Masters so I know who my favourite combination is (Waver drags down Rider).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
4:

Most of this episode only served to exasperate my problem.  There is no drama at all watching Saber fight a shounen-esque battle sequence.  I know what happens to her in this war, so there's nothing here that could even remotely interest me.  There's no tension in the possibility of failure.  This, inevitably, makes the Lancer we're seeing here pointless.

But, I do gotta say, he may be doomed, but Iskander is a very likeable servant so far.  I mean, the guy's just got moxie.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »
TIF, I actually have to disagree with you.   Knowing the outcome of the show does not diminish the Lancer battle.  Everyone already knows that the main characters will win and eliminating the 0.1% chance that the anime breaks the fourth wall and makes the main character lose should not affect anyone's enjoyment of the fight.  The thing that irks me about having watched Fate/Stay Night is the amount of detail I know about Fate/Zero's ending.  It doesn't leave much room to speculate about "what ifs" and potential happy endings.   

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »
Episode 6

The conversation between Kirei and Gilgamesh was interesting since it dawned a storyline I wasn't even thinking about.  This pretty much alludes to how those two end up together as partners in crime for F/SN.  Kirei is pretty much one of the most interesting characters in this show at the moment.  Not that the other details/twists weren't interesting in their own right since Lancer's master has some complications to deal.  Still, it is too bad Caster didn't recieve as much focus and was a little overshadowed this episode. 

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
Episode 6

When they said that this was a war, they really meant it.  The actions this episode had the flamboyance I would expect from Code Geass, but they made perfect sense in context of what's happening in the series.  It's quite sad that about half of the Masters in this series could have single-handedly cleaned the field in Fate/Stay Night.  Realistically speaking, Kirei should have won. 

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 03:02:23 AM »
Ep 6

MOAR!

What makes Christopher Nolan's Batman movies superior to the previous incarnations?  Among other things, it's the emphasis on realism and humanism.  I was reminded of Nolan's Batman after that scene where Kiritsugu blew up the building, which I thought was incredibly realistic.  Because the Fate/Stay Night comparisons are starting to become mundane, I think it's worth comparing that scene with the scene in the most recent episode of Guilty Crown where they do likewise.  But because this scene was done with so much more believability, it had way more tension and impact.  The Guilty Crown action sequence was pretty to look at.  This instead really drove home a point: this is the length Kiritsugu is willing to go.  And we get a clear glimpse of the consequences of the action as well, particularly when Kiritsugu gazed at the mother and daughter who were among a crowd of people forced to evacuate.  Often, action movies/anime don't care to look back on the consequences of such moments afterwards.

There have been lots of little examples that strongly suggest that Urobuchi is just as aware of the meta-reactions to the Fate/ universe as he is to the inner workings of the world itself.  The weirdness of the fact that King Arthur is a girl kinda gets waved to one side in F/SN, but it's addressed fairly well here.  But in this episode, there was the fact Caster was convinced Saber is Joan of Arc.  Raise your hand if you thought Saber was possibly Joan of Arc before her real identity was revealed?  Everyone?  Close enough.  Having Caster convinced of a delusion that we all held as a suspicion helps allay some of the lingering awkwardness about Saber's identity.  It's like Urobuchi's saying "that's a trap that anyone can fall into, now wouldn't it be interesting to see what would happen if a crazy person believed it".  And the way it's done is incredibly deft as well, seeing as how Gilles de Rais really did know Joan of Arc.

Oh yeah, and that scene with Kirie and Gilgamesh.  Philosophy!  Not to mention Masters breaking rules left right and centre.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »
Y'know, just the other day I mused on Twitter why it was that Saber WASN'T just Joan of Arc.  I mean, what was the need to make the person of Arthurian Legend a female?  I'm still not sure they quite have answered that question other than... she's **** material for the game.  Urobochi is sure trying to justify it some other way, but I'm afraid no matter what he comes up with is just going to be greeted with skepticism by me.  You made a ****ing sex game, dude, of course it's a chick.  No other explanation needed.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
I should be able to explain why Saber shouldn't be Joan of Arc, if nothing else. The thing that connects Kiritsugu, Shirou, and Saber together is that they are all betrayed by their lofty ideals. Kiritsugu recognizes that he can't become a superhero and thus becomes an antihero to try to achieve his goal, while Shirou and Saber fight to maintain their ideal at any cost and as a result
Spoiler for Hiden:
are betrayed by the people that they fought to protect in the first place.
Unfortunately, Joan of Arc doesn't really apply to that dynamic, as her martyrdom was more probably more important to the French cause than all of her military exploits combined. So the choice to make Saber King Arthur was probably the best choice...

But I will not deny that King Arthur was made a girl because the game is an eroge. I don't think that anyone could win an argument to the contrary.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
Y'know, just the other day I mused on Twitter why it was that Saber WASN'T just Joan of Arc.  I mean, what was the need to make the person of Arthurian Legend a female?  I'm still not sure they quite have answered that question other than... she's **** material for the game.  Urobochi is sure trying to justify it some other way, but I'm afraid no matter what he comes up with is just going to be greeted with skepticism by me.  You made a ****ing sex game, dude, of course it's a chick.  No other explanation needed.
It wasn't Urobuchi who made King Arthur a girl for an eroge, it was Nasu.  I think Urobuchi is a lot like the rest of us in that respect: trying to make some sort of sense of it.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »

There are times when 4chan wins.  This is one of them.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:

There are times when 4chan wins.  This is one of them.
It's all the more ironic that Gen Urobuchi was responsible for both shows...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
It wasn't Urobuchi who made King Arthur a girl for an eroge, it was Nasu.  I think Urobuchi is a lot like the rest of us in that respect: trying to make some sort of sense of it.

Well then, he is just looking the fool, ain't he?  If Saber was a dude, the whole dragon scene would be even weirder.  Or hotter, depending on your point of view.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
7:

That was... really awesome! Best episode so far!
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
Episode 7

Kiritsugu is a badass, but vunerable man with cracks in his armor. That is pretty much the lesson I learned from today's episode.  Also, the explanation behind Kayneth's survival make sense and it is nice to see magic actually play more of a role in this series too.  Caster is great as usual when he is being sadistic.  Plus, Rider was pretty funny as usual and I am thinking he interferes next episode.  All in all, a damn awesome episode with no complaints from me.

Offline Hokuto_Spirit

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 06:26:25 PM »
7:

Nice sneak attack Kiritsugu. After going through all that to hide from Kayneth, you just have to call his name right before you shoot. I expect that this won't matter as his pistol will likely unload some kind of serious bullshit. Still, it seemed rather out of character for him to do something cocky like that.

I also don't understand his little breakdown over Kirei. He is supposed to be a veteran assassin, not some rookie; so why is he so afraid of a challenge?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up