Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 11:00:12 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/Zero  (Read 58816 times)

Offline MCAL

Re: Fate/Zero
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
Pretty sure it's Heaven's Feel. The scene where Gilgamesh confronts Sakura (@1:11 in the video) only happens in HF and not the other two arcs.
Isn't that the scene from the prologue (The part that plays from Rin's perspective), where Rin accidentally stumbles upon Sakura talking to someone (Gilgamesh). Also, the scene you mention happens much later in the HF route, so it seems unlikely that that scene would have been animated already.

Also they were featuring the Greater Grail so prominently. Only makes sense if it was HF.
I initially thought that too when I saw the trailer, but the Greater Holy Grail also appears in Shiro's nightmares of ten years ago, wich is probably where the scene in the trailer comes from.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
I meant that since we're set on having adaptations of routes instead of new ones, HF makes the most sense considering its plot addresses developments from F/Z (the Matou, Kirei and Ilya's motivations, and even the Grail itself). It would certainly lack the answers to those themes you mentioned and more, but F/Z was written in response to the visual novel, not the other way around. As in, the visual novel was written as three routes and stays that way, so while F/Z was free to elaborate on the themes of each, you're left with a split if you start off with F/Z.

That's why something like ImperialX mentioned - a combination arc - would be the best fit, though it's unlikely right now that we'll get something like that.

It's really tricky to make Fate/stay night into a great anime. Fate/zero already spoiled the many of HF's most dramatic moments. I can't help but feel that no matter which one of the three visual novel arcs they choose to adapt, it will simply not have the same impact if the viewer's seen Fate/zero already. Fate/stay night was written without something like Fate/zero in mind, which is why I believe that for this new anime adaptation to be successful to non-VN players, we really need a Nasu to write a new, original arc that takes into account the fact that the viewer may have already seen Fate/zero and change the plot progression accordingly.

Right now I've been recommending everyone who is interested in Fate/zero to read the visual novel first. It really makes the most sense. You get the maximum enjoyment out of the visual novels and it really doesn't take away anything from Fate/zero either aside from spoiling the ending. If you see Fate/zero first, it spoils essentially the entire HF arc and more of Fate/stay night.

So yeah, I simply don't know how this new Fate/stay night anime adaptation is going to fit in. If it's just an adaptation of HF, you bet I'm going to recommend the visual novel over it, regardless how flashy the animation is. Even if you haven't seen Fate/zero beforehand, the emotional impact of HF only works if you've played through Fate and UBW first. I'm definitely not going to recommend a HF anime adaptation to a first time viewer. I'd rather he play through Fate and UBW and get the full experience.

tl;dr Fate/stay night is a visual novel, and visual novels usually never get good anime adaptations unless you rewrite the whole script.

Also, the scene you mention happens much later in the HF route, so it seems unlikely that that scene would have been animated already.

But that's exactly why I think they're going to be doing HF. I'm not saying it's been animated already, but if they're including this scene in the trailer it implies that it's part of the storyboard.

I initially thought that too when I saw the trailer, but the Greater Holy Grail also appears in Shiro's nightmares of ten years ago, wich is probably where the scene in the trailer comes from.

This is true, I forgot about this. Maybe there's still hope for an anime original arc.

Offline Xyzz

« Reply #242 on: May 13, 2014, 03:10:22 AM »
Right now I've been recommending everyone who is interested in Fate/zero to read the visual novel first.
Heh, i've been thinking about reading F/SN (after finishing Umineko), and I did already see F/Z... it'll probably still work out okay, since my memory isn't all that great and I can't remember much of anything :D

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2014, 04:37:04 AM »

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:01 AM »
*Heavy breathing*

S-so it's UBW. It's my favorite route but i thought they are gonna make a brand new one? What about my Saber x Shirou romance in Ufotable animation? -_-
Oh well at least it's my boy GARcher's route.

A heaven's feel movie....i'm not sure if that will work. It's the longest route after all(but admittedly it's because mostly of the ploughing cooking scenes) but the movie better be at least 2 hours long.

Holy shit hey zeus i'm so excited.

*still continues to breath heavily*

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:04:38 AM by Redgrave »

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2014, 05:02:23 AM »
By the news, maybe is more than one movie.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2014, 05:36:18 AM »
I'm pretty much screaming like a fan girl. UBW is the best route and I feel is the one that would appeal to most people.

By the news, maybe is more than one movie.
Keener viewers noticed the HF announcement was worded like the KNK announcement so you might be right.

EDIT: I liked how they did the Heaven's Feel trailer. Really gave you the idea how different in tone it is to Fate and UBW.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:50:50 AM by MCAL »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2014, 06:10:30 AM »
Thank god they aren't doing Fate. I don't even think ufotable can make that route not boring.

Heavens feel is going need at like 2:30-3:00 hours of well paced time if it doesn't want to end up like the UBW movie. Though it's ufotable so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »
Multiple movies needed for HF to do a satisfying adaption. One 2 hour movie would just be the UBW movie all over again.

Offline maxtheax

• maxtheax's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »
There are rumours that Heaven's Feel is going to be a multi-part movie series, although no confirmations yet.

Offline SQA

« Reply #250 on: July 27, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »
There are rumours that Heaven's Feel is going to be a multi-part movie series, although no confirmations yet.

They generally make a lot more money that way as well.  The format works if you have a series you know can draw enough of a crowd.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
2 cours for UBW.  Holy crap.  Given that I think this arc is the best of the three, I'm glad it's getting such top billing.

As for the Heaven's Feel movie, it better be a trilogy.  I can see how they can reduce the arc down to just the primary interaction between Shirou and Sakura and make a single movie out of that, but there's some cool ideas in the arc that would need to get excised.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2014, 05:59:23 AM »
A trilogy with one and half hours each would be fine i guess. Maybe two hours each?

Offline KS

« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »
I feel kind of under-qualified to talk too much about the Fate series since I've pretty much just been introduced to it within the last few years really but this all seems pretty interesting and a lot of people seem to be really excited about this.  I can almost feel the hyperventilation coming off of some people through my ethernet and can tell this is going to be a really big deal for a lot of people.  It's all very intense.  I don't think any sort of **** up no matter how minor would really go over well with this project, but I also get the sense that the people in charge of it know that.

For me though I'm kind of glad expectations really aren't that high and my level of interest is just kind of set at....well interested so I can just sit back and enjoy the show and let other people decide whether it's a masterpiece or whether it needs to go into the dumpster pile immediately if this or that detail from the novel gets misconstrued or isn't given it's due.

Oh also everyone, your waifu is the best waifu in Fate and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise least of all me  :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:37:17 AM by KS »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up