Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 10:59:31 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/Zero  (Read 58815 times)

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

Re: Fate/Zero
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
Episode 3

I like how the Holy Grail War is a lot more like a complex chess match in this series with the way things are being presented.  So, the pacing is done pretty well thus far.  The revelation behind True Assassin was not much of a surprise for me since I had already done my research a long time ago.  It also looks like the very same gun that was in Saber's flashbacks in Fate/Stay Night has made it's appearance.  The gun also already seems important with more meaning to it other then what F/SN had alluded to.  (Also, Kiritsugu is a pimp and Shirou apparently never learned those skills).

Surprisingly, the comedic elements are not handled as atrociously as it usually is in anime.  Rider seems genuinely funny and I actually enjoy his antics thus far.  Hell, I didn't even mind the stupid joke regarding Saber's comment on one of her abilities.  Bottom line is that these jokes didn't detract too much from the overall atmosphere which is a good sign.

It also looks like Saber's first matchup is against another legendary Irish spear wielder whose abilities are different compared to Cu Chulainn (F/SN's Lancer).  So, this is probably going to showcase how good the animation for this series really is next episode.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
I wondered what the hell happened at the end of the episode until I read the title: 'False Opening'; as S-K said Kiritsugu's (using Emiya reminds of me of...someone...so I won't use it) initial analysis of Kirie seems to be pretty much on the money.
I understand the issue, but I'll stick with using the surnames because they're just easier to remember. :P

Ep 3

The "chess" feel is evident.  Both the Assassin that was killed by Gilgamesh and Irisviel are pawns, while the more powerful pieces are yet to be moved into the open.  Also, surprise surprise, Kirie has already broken the rules.  I get the feeling he's going to shit all over everyone by the time this War has ended.

The kiss scene was an eyebrow raiser considering Emiya has been presented as a family man up until this point.  It just makes me wonder all the more about his relationship with Irisviel (who, evidently, has been sent out pretty much to die).  As we know the Einzbern family is anything but normal, but this just makes its nature all the more intriguing.

Sooo much tension.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »
Episode 3

Despite the fact that the bout between Saber and Lancer was at a conservative pace, it was still pretty fluid while having enough flashiness to it.  Not to mention that there seems to be a bit more emphasis on strategy and description on each servant's abilities for a tactical battle.  This episode is good in my book and the better stuff has yet to come.  (Especially with Berserker's crazy as hell abilities in store).

To sum it up, I am not miffed over the staff behind this not going balls out for this particular battle.  But, it looks like things are going to be fun next episode so I can't wait to see it.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
Episode 4

I normally have problems with shows that spend so much time on a single unimpressive fight scene because its a characteristic from shounen action shows that I do not particularly like. However, having what amounts to 14 main characters allows the show to have meaningful posturing and meaningful drama outside the fights.  As of right now, I'm digging the information gathering, spreading misinformation and waiting for the right time to strike.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
4:

I love how Rider has total disregard for the norm; he wants to fight by damned he will fight. Name secrecy? Pfft. 'Honourable 1v1'? Pfft.

I'm actually surprised, and kind of disappointed, that Assassin has been noticed by Kiritsugu so early into the game after the initial 'death' of Assassin. But, aside from that, loving what I'm watching so far. Here's hoping Rider kicks ass. :P

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »
Ep 4

I was actually caught off guard by the revelation that Irisviel is a homunculus.  It makes a little more sense why the Einzberns aren't terribly concerned about protecting her.

The pacing seems fairly slow (not a bad thing when an anime like this hinges so much on suspense), which left me wondering how they were going to fit all of this into 12 episodes.  Turns out there's a second season coming in Spring.  That's another concern I can cross of my list.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
Turns out there's a second season coming in Spring.  That's another concern I can cross of my list.
I thought MAL originally listed it as a 22 episode show... I guess not, but it's not like it matters anyway.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
1-3:

Catching up to this one kind of late, and I think there is one drastic and completely unavoidable problem with this show:

It came second.

Actually third, if you count the UBW movie, but that isn't what I meant.  I'm talking about the story of the next Holy Grail War and all that happens there.  We know it.  Thus, we know how this one ends.  I've had several people ask me if watching Fate/Stay Night is necessary for this, and my answer is now an emphatic "NO".  In fact, if you can somehow manage to watch this first, you're going to have a much better overall experience than I am right now.

It is not as if I'm not enjoying this, I am.  I'm just sitting here annoyed by everything I'm seeing because I already know the ending.  The producers and writers are doing a ****ing awesome job of making all of this seem tense, with the chess games going on, the personal issues, and the seriousness of the outcomes.  The problem is I KNOW THE OUTCOME.  Thus, whatever they're doing here is just going to be for naught, inevitably.

So I'm sad.  They're putting all this work in to try to make this as epic as possible to the uninitiated Fate viewer, and I can't enjoy it as much as I'd like.  This isn't even like the Star Wars prequels where you are actually interested to know how Darth Vader becomes Darth Vader.  Nobody here, aside from Kirie, survives this.  And Kirie is pretty much a ****face already here, so there's no interesting story behind what turns him into the bigger ****face he is in the next Holy Grail War.  There is, literally, NO explanation necessary that this back story can answer.  Is it interesting that Emiya's father is also Illya's father?  Not really.

The only thing the show has going for it right now are the individual character's stories.  We know how they end, but the getting there and the learning about them might be interesting if you're into the whole futility thing.  One superior aspect to this over the next Fate story is that the servants are less important as characters.  Thakn God.  If I had to put up with more Saber being naive I might have shot myself.

Which brings up the one glaring "huh?" moment in episode three.  Saber says that servants are called into the war with a "knowledge of the era", though I'm not sure if that was just a bad subtitle.  If that's the case, why the **** are all these servants dumb as shit when it comes to modern things?  Iskander alone would kick Arturia's comment to the curb, but Arturia herself becomes a total nitwit later.

Zero also introduces another interesting contradiction to Stay Night (etc) and that's the summoning of the servants.  In at least three cases, so far, the servant summoned was known.  Tohsaka used something of Gilgamesh's to summon him, Emiya used the legendary scabbard of Excalibur to summon Arturia Pendragon, and Iskander was summoned by the kid.  One of the most important aspects of the Fate universe was the lack of knowledge of a servant's true name.  Here we have three.  Was this just for the Stay Night folks who already knew who everybody was and just to get it out of the way or did they just not care?

Lastly, I noticed nobody mentioned that servants could be "imaginary" people or people from the future.  Tohsaka Rin points this out in Stay Night, so it should be something known here.  This, of course, is what leads to not only the summoning of the female embodiment of King Arthur, but also demi-God Heracles of Greek Mythology, and, as the shocking tweeest, Emiya Shirou as Archer.  Then again, how they actually got an imaginary king's imaginary sword's imaginary scabbard to summon said imaginary king is... well.. I think I just blew a gasket.

In conclusion... the show is amazingly awesome but I am deeply saddened that all the effort is going in vain for a viewer like myself.  Yes, what Caster did was horrendously awesome, but if the show is only going to survive off these "oh ****" moments, it might do well for it not to be involved in the Fate universe at all.  Am I alone here in feeling this way?
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »
Maybe.  Also, spoiler tags.  Not everyone's seen Fate/Stay Night.  And
Spoiler for Hiden:
Emiya survives, at least long enough to raise Shirou.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 06:11:10 PM »
Here's the way I look at it. From what I can tell so far, it would be more rewarding to read the original visual novel before watching this adaptation because of how it will probably fit in to the Fate thematic framework. To summarize, the three routes of the game each show a different aspect of heroism and idealism. Saber's route presents the traditional hero, Unlimited Blade Works presents the ideal hero and the challenges that come from those ideals, and Heaven's Feel is the abandonment of those ideals. (There are a lot of good articles about this if you are interested, particularly on Eternal's blog.) Fate Zero, from the sections with Kiritsugu and his back story of being the Magus Killer, seems to be adding another piece to that framework. He needs more character development before we see where it ends up, but from the first few episodes it seems to be going in that direction. In that sense, it is worth doing the prequel because it adds to the themes and the universe, as opposed to something like The Thing prequel which was exactly the same as the original with more women.

The bad news is that if you don't care about any of that, it sucks to be you.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:25:54 PM by The Big Guy »
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline myst

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
Well I played F/SN's visual novel and enjoyed it for the most part so I'm glad Fate/Zero is a part of the universe, but I do agree that having them both does do some harm. No matter which one comes first, the ending for the other is basically spoiled. May be just my personal preference, but I'm not bothered by knowing the end because how it gets there is more important to me at least. Plus, the characters make the show really enjoyable to watch. An example of this would be Grave of the Fireflies. The fact that the brother and sister die at the end is stated right in the beginning. This did not weaken the story at all, in fact I think it made it more powerful. Perhaps its not really fair to draw comparisons with a Ghibli masterpiece, but it really comes down to whether you are willing to let the characters tell their story.

With regards to the servant's names, I would imagine that that was done deliberately because this show doesn't focus on one particular character, but on multiple. I'm glad they did this because the enemy servants in F/SN were all rather flat. They didn't have much personality because they had to be kept as enemies for Saber to fight. Knowing the various servants identities right off the bat allows me to connect with the characters more and also gives them the chance to develop with respect to their individual legends.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
Yeah TIF I feel you.   Fate/Zero probably would be more interesting if I didn't know how everything would end.  I could cheer for certain characters with all my heart if I didn't know the outcome, but now it's like watching a recording of a Super Bowl.

Regardless, I can see where The Big Guy is coming from when he talks about themes, but these are the kinds of connections I want to see when I rewatch the show.   I want to be at the edge of my seat when I watch it the first time.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 01:06:55 PM »
Episode 5

Berserker is badass and this episode is pretty much good for action.  Still, I am surprised that no one had recognized Gilgamesh this early yet.  It also looks like the command seals will play a bigger role in this series as well.  Still, can't wait to see what happens next.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:34:54 PM by Flash Sword Irene »

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »
One thing I liked about Fate/Stay Night (TV) was that is was good at world building.  One thing I hated about Fate/Stay Night was that is was terrible at using the rules it established making all the complexities seem rather trivial mumbo jumbo spouted to make something simple seem complex. I like Fate/Zero is actually using the mechanics it sets for itself to affect the direction of the plot in an interesting way.  Now I know that the whole command seal gimmick is more than just a way to show that Shirou such a nice guy that he's above bending the will of Saber.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 03:10:37 AM »
5:

ಥ_ಥ

Crying Caster is so moe.

I'll make no secret Berserker is my favourite servant, and he did not disappoint me in this episode in screwing around with Gilgamesh. I didn't mind Berserker being animated using CG either. Pity that he probably won't be appearing as much in the next episode, but I'm still keen on what's about to happen next week.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up