Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 05:46:27 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Usagi Drop  (Read 1487 times)

Offline imlazee247

Usagi Drop
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »
After watching the anime, I quickly fell in love with the heartwarming elements portrayed early on in this manga and read through it all. I don't quite know how to respond to the ending, there is a part of me that wants to scream out "OMFG I JUST GOT TROLLED!" and then their is a small part of me that wants to be respectful, out of courtesy, as it in a very large stretch can be seen as a full circle ending. After reading it, I was glad that I did not commit a large portion of my time to waiting week after week for it in the anime format just to be disappointed with the potential for greatness that had been tossed aside. It would be nice to get some feedback to know if my thoughts are at all justified because I have a great respect for how this story was set up and executed up until the ending. I do not post here much, but I do have a respect for the majority of reviews and commentary given on these forums as I do come here to read for different inputs and takes on anime and it would be nice to hear your thoughts on this manga. I will put the next paragraph as a spoiler because it will reveal the large parts of the plot that I have had trouble with and did not expect from an anime series that I thought was going to one of the best this season.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Considering the first half of the manga's focus, I think that the writer focused so much on the putting the reader in the perspective of a a troubled single parent that making the ending a love story between daikichi and rin left a sour taste in my mouth. It really felt like that came out of nowhere and destroyed the potential greatness this story had in handling more universal, human struggles realistically. Initially while reading this, I was always under the impression that the plot was focusing on how one copes with being a single parent and the sacrifices that come with making a difficult moral decision. The difficulties of taking Rin to school, sacrificing a better job, forming a relationship with another single parent and acting like a father to that kid all seemed like challenges for Daikichi to meet and were heavily focused on to help Daikichi progress and grows as a character. To the audience, I am assuming this came off as a an attempt to establish a piece of believable fiction that the audience could relate to. His struggles were realistic and handled as such initially, but during the high school arc, when Rin's love for Daikichi is exposed, I couldn't help but scream to myself, "Why, instead of resolving the established, believable themes, did the author choose to go for the alternative surprise ending that comes off more as a fan fiction with a cheap use of deus ex machina?" (That being the revelation that the grandfather is not really the father of Rin, as a way to justify what might have been thought of as a incestuous relation). It seemed to sacrifice the chance at saying something relevant on a much grander scale by ending on an odd love story, especially since it set itself up so well to go in the opposite direction. Daikichi's actions end up losing all sense of human relate-ability, for me, when Rin persuades him to become her husband/future father of her children and the author made him more puppet-like, as he ends up being a tool that is solely devoted to catering to Rin's existence. The difficulty in his decision making was presented when he sacrificed his social status by becoming a father, but the power behind that sacrifice felt nullified when the author chose to give up on dealing with the realistic issues and chose the most unlikely ending in my mind, this is the first time I have felt truly trolled (especially when considering how genuinely the author initially set its conflicts up). What are your thoughts, can anyone put this into a better perspective so I can think better of the Josei audience and this writer?
Pages: [1]   Go Up