Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 02:19:25 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dantalian no Shoka  (Read 4749 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Dantalian no Shoka
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »
1:

Gosick with a pinch of Spice and Wolf, and a dash of Index.

One outstanding question pops into my head during the episode: just who is this superiority-complex girl Dalian? Obviously, she's not human but even this doesn't make Disward ask the same question. As for the show itself, it's potentially interesting: we have the supernatural elements, good presentation and production values. Underwhelming but not necessarily a bad start; plus, a cryptic ED too.

But I'm not sure if I want to follow this show to the end. I may consider to do so if only it made its debut a lot earlier this season, and now I'm not motivated to follow any new shows.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

Re: Dantalian no Shoka
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »
1-3:

This show is trying to be the next Kino's Journey, with books instead of countries, and I respect that. However, the show is stumbling over it's unlikable characters (Dalian is my least favorite character this season, and that says something) and most importantly, lackluster stories (The book of wisdom could have been really interesting, but instead it trips on itself by making it really short.) I think more people should be giving this show a chance, because it's still better than a lot of the shows out right now, but to be great it needs to improve its stories sooner rather than later.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:41:16 AM »
Does anyone remember Suiseiseki? You know, desu desu? She's back. And it's still awful.

I love Dalian.

But.

"Yes desu" is unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable.

Other than that, this show is remarkably mediocre.

20 bucks says either Beowulf or Paradise Lost show up at some point.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Morathy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
3:

The show was okay this far, but this episode was a big a dissapointment.
A phantom book that makes children so smart they can destroy the world, but they are just chilling in a shed... THE END!
and a plant that attracts its food by mimicing a book... This is getting Amagami crazy!

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:42:13 AM »
4:

Now this is more like it. Still a lot of mistakes thus far, but overall this was far better than the last three. I especially liked how the "Crown of Dog Days" reflected the life of the author, which turned out to be unacceptable to both the psychotic fan (who represents August in the story, which is why she got angry when Dalian called August useless), and Dalian (who wanted to the romance to end on a happy note, though it didn't turn out that way in real life for our poor author.) Hopefully the show can keep this up for the rest of the season.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:11 AM »
lol@obvious fujoshi bashing
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
Another long post.

1:

What I quite like about the main character is how he completely ignores the insults of the girl, and continues the conversation, thus 'cutting down' the girl's superiority. The girl is alright, I don't dislike her, but she's really unoriginal by this stage. Why are all mysterious or detective girls lolis? Perhaps way back when they were manga or light novels, the thought of a child being knowledgeable or clever was very amusing, and so all 'clever or learned' girls were lolis. In any case, the episode was alright, but as has been said, slightly underwhelming.

2:

The opening is very calm, it's alright, but just that. So it's set in England, I suspected this last episode but thought this might pull a Sauville out it's ass, but no, a real country this time. I wonder if it will follow the real history. Now, as for the main character, you can tell they're basing him a lot off Koizumi. He's got the same voice actor I know, but it's not just that, his mannerisms very closely match Koizumi's at times.

Anyway, this episode, without meaning to I imagine, was quite amusing. I am talking about the scene where they discover that Estella was the culprit, after she stabbed him. There's being calm in a dire situation, but then there's not commenting on the fact that someone JUST TRIED TO KILL YOU. Then he calmly assesses the fact that a golem is out to get him after it breaks down the wall revealing several corpses, and only starts reacting to the situation when he has to save Dalian from being crushed by a massive stone fist.

The method they have to use to attack is rather long winded, I dislike it when the enemy always seems to give the time people need to pull of ridiculous attacks. Surely the best person to be the keeper of the keys would be one of those people who reads radio adverts, who can say the terms and conditions in about 5 seconds at the end of an advert? Then they'd be able to shoot out those attacks like a machine gun. Amusing how gravity can also be put on hold so that a conversation can take place with the homicidal woman who decides to die with everyone.

3:

Oh, it seems they've introduced Avril, albeit a slightly older version called Camilla instead, and wouldn't you know it? Dalian and Camilla have exactly the same relationship as Avril and Victorique did, I mean exactly the same, apart from Avril wasn't a childhood friend, but that's just a minor detail. Also, in terms of loving sweet things, she's very much like Victorique as well.

Now, I think I properly understand why girls who are intelligent or knowledgeable are always lolis and tsundere's. It's pretty simple, the reason for tsundere's is because since they're clever, they can exert an intellectual superiority over the protagonist, and so treat them like idiots, hence the tsun bit, but they (sooner or later) start liking them because they rely on them so much, hence the dere. This ties in to the loli bit too, sure the idea of a child being intelligent can be amusing (as I've mentioned) but I think it's down to their tsundere behaviour, and characterization in general. Since these people are usually very tsun at the beginning, a way is needed to make them more dere as the series progresses, this can really only be done by the tsundere relying on the protagonist for a long time, and by constantly being in his presence. Since they are intelligent/knowledgeable, they have to rely physically on the protagonist, to save her or whatnot in times when intelligence doesn't cut it, and thus she has to be weak physically. You could make her frail or physically disabled, but this isn't attractive, so they make her child-like, and hence a loli. This is why they tend to be child-loli's rather than the sexualised type.

As for the episode - a bit pointless, though they briefly focused on his forehead a bit at the end, and I want to know why.

4:

Okay, Historical Accuracy points get a -1. Homosexuality was not acceptable in England during the time period in which this show is set, so you would not get books like that printed. Apart from that, this was a pretty decent episode, though I feel there seem to be an abnormal amount of Phantom books in the area they live. The whole evolution bit didn't make one bit of sense though, but whatever.

5:

Wow, the battle was fabulously colourful. The episode was alright, but it has got me fairly interested in other potential enemies they could face. It was a pretty stupid episode, but it was entertaining.

6:

Ooh, new characters. The book retrieving business seems a lot more violent for them, and they also burn books rather than reading them. Apart from that, I'm impressed that they remembered that the clothes that the girl was wearing would have been odd and revealing in the period this was set. NOt that I can pin down when this was set. It's after a war, but this war had bombing, and that didn't come til WW2, so this must be the 1950's, but I think this seems to recent. Ah well.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:51:09 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
8:

If there is a plot to all this, they seem pretty lax about following it. Frankly it seems to be a case of a "2 Phantom Books of the week formula", 1 phantom book for each half an episode. I don't mind it too much, but I suspect that this is going to be a two cour series, since I can't imagine it being only 11-13 episodes given the casual pace. Kujo may not be there, but we have Victorique in the form of Dalian and Avril in the form of Camilla. There are many similarities, hopefully getting better will be another thing they share.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
9:

What an ingenious way to have a low budget episode. To make it obvious that they were in a world inside a book, the art was like that of a book, although it was of course animated. The episode was so-so, and I really hope a plot develops sometime in the near future. What is this, Gosick?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
So, did this show end up being worth watching in the end?

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:02 PM »
So, did this show end up being worth watching in the end?

Nope. 5/10.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
12:

Better than average. Seriously though, Zombies?

The Series

Great animation, pretty good music, fairly likable characters, yet this does not deserve anything higher than a 5. Why? Because the stories are pretty boring, and in the end not much happens. There is no plot whatsoever, they introduced a last episode one that didn't much differ from any of the others, apart from it was on a larger scale and all the notable characters were there.

Really though, I can't quite work out why this anime was so bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up