Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 12:52:41 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sacred Seven  (Read 4829 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Sacred Seven
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »
1:

That was... kinda mediocre.

I get the same vibes from this show as Star Driver, with a tinge of Code Geass. It sounds strange, but that's what I feel. The strange thing is, I'm not that impressed with the first episode even though being impressed is what I should experience. So why do I feel this way? Maybe it's because it's largely underwhelming. I get the feeling that this show is trying to be flamboyant, with the fanciful character designs as an indicator (maid-suited soldiers o_o), yet it's not as such. It's somewhat restrained, and I don't understand why; Star Driver's first episode was way more FABULOUS than this, so why not this show? I'm not asking Sacred Seven to be just like Star Driver; I'm asking to be impressed, one way or another.

And I don't like where this is going: a emo-bishie hero hates his powers but eventually helps out a loli + butler, both of whom need PR lessons after seeing how terrible their plea for Tandouji's help was, and learns that he should use his powers to protect his loved ones, especially Wako Wakana. Haven't I seen this narrative trope before.

I'm staying. But this show better pick up the pace, because the first episode kinda bored me, even when there are giant monsters and larger-than-life fights.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Sacred Seven
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:50:43 AM »
Well, that was random.   Somewhere in the mishmash of high school dramaz, transforming robots, super sentai fightin', and maid armies, I must have blew a mental gasket because I don't know how to respond to this. 

Sacred Seven is an anime for the ADD crowd, and I honest to God don't mean this as an insult. It's just that this show carpet bombs the ideas with plot points, character quirks and explosive sensory input at a breakneck pace I've never seen before.  One episode in and I already feel like I've given this show the three episode test because so much stuff happened my brain swears its just went through a time warp.  If the show can maintain this pace, I may have to watch this just for pushing the boundaries of how much crap can be jammed into a Japanese subway train during rush hour episode.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:38:10 AM »
2:

No moar Engrish, preez.

I'm not liking this show one bit. The characters are terribly bland. Protagonist Tandouji is just Yukiatsu's powered-up twin brother (not to mention how they also sound the same). Their facial expressions are stone-cold. The story is boring. The fights are equally boring. The now Star Driver style + Groove Adventure RAVE plot concept is nothing amazing. Hellbrick is an annoying comic relief with an equally annoying speech impairment.

I just have nothing to like about it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:56:47 AM »
3:

All the characters lack something essential: character/personality.

I'll put it this way: I don't think I'll remember any of the characters by the time the show ends. I may remember their character designs but even so, their personality is more important and any character that's devoid of anything memorable about their personalities is boring and easily forgettable. Tandouji is a dude I can only describe as brooding, asocial and of a few words; Ruri is just a rich kid with an expressionless face and voice (guess Nakajima Megumi's inexperience is getting the better of herself), the butler's just "that guy", and I can't even remember everyone else's name.

The fight scenes are also disappointing. Good production values indeed - crisp and fluid animation - but they're hardly engaging. They just aren't sweeping me off my feet.

At least, the OP is decent.

4:

Is it me, or is it a coincidence that the OP is entitled "Stone Cold" (decent song, I would add) and that's a term that best describes the characters' facial expressions, particularly Ruri? I can't tell if she's ecstatic or worried, except for small twitches on her face.

This episode is meant to be fun, and also supposed to be fun. Yet, it's not as fun as I thought. Star Driver and Code Geass knew how to have fun although each has its own problems with other aspects, but in the case of Sacred Seven, it's severely missing atmosphere and pacing. There's no atmosphere, so I felt the whole fun ambiance of the all-familiar school festival is devoid. Without pacing too, the action sequences seem diluted.

The characters remain to be a major issue: now that it is beginning to show the progress towards relationship development, I feel that it's bound to fail. How am I supposed to relate with any budding relationship (and romance, as hinted) in Sacred Seven when the characters are devoid of personality and without character development in the first place?

And I forgot, how did the Hellbrick get into the story in the first place?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:27:40 PM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »
You know what, I'm hating [gg] already. I've been away from anime for a week and the last thing I want to see is trolling. And from only one episode, I got trolled twice; one from a ridiculous choice for OP music, and the other for a random line during the episode. Some people aren't bothered by it, but I think it's immature and mood-breaking.

Anyway.

5:

Beach episode ">< and a very mediocre one too. If there's anything criminal about this episode, it's how lazy the writing is in terms of developing Kagami's background and character. He's a doting caretaker (to the point that it's a little annoying even to viewers like myself) and a glimpse of his past is shown on how he became what he is today, but the problem is, the glimpse actually didn't do anything for anyone. It just shows him when he was little. And I went "So?". I still don't get why he is very protective of Ruri; he protects because he's obliged to, but obviously, that's not the point, and the point is what the show failed to explain.

Obviously, character development is not one of Sacred Seven's strongest points, on top of piss-poor chemistry.

6:

Weakly sympathetic villain. I'm only told that he's not an out-and-out villain, but it doesn't show. Another example of lazy writing. Yes, the fights are above average but it's hardly special, and I don't think I'll remember this show for anything else but failing to come close to being as fabulous as Star Driver or as half-intriguing as Code Geass. It's nothing special.

And I think the budding romance between Tandoji and Ruri is terrible. It's somewhere down there with Kimimaro-Msyu on the list of Most Awkward Relationships, and the reason behind it is the same: terrible chemistry as a result of poor characterization. Both Ruri and Tandoji are devoid of personality, and because of it, I can't and don't feel anything for them.

Offline Horsechoker

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:24 AM »
Nah if anything they improved the show with the OP change, should make it permanent.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:07:01 AM »
The OP is fine by me; maybe not as dynamic and I imagine it can be, but I at least like the song. But the quality of an OP isn't that substantial to its show, most importantly.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
7:

That's strange; why would the series switch the OP song with the ED? Can't it just find a new song, or better, just stick with what they've been doing all along? How odd.

I had a hunch for a long time that Knight isn't really the villain; clues were everywhere for viewers to hint that he isn't completely evil. He's more of the textbook sympathetic villain (yeah I know, a major trope also known as Draco in Leather Pants), in hindsight. And, I've been a having a hunch that there's more to Kenma than meets the eye (no pun to Transformers, please). Not sure why, but there's been something secretive about him from the very start... and there's still something strange about his assistant SP. No surprise if she is revealed to be non-human.

I was taken aback by Tandoji and Ruri's na´vetÚ when they actually asked Kenma whether Knight was telling the truth. Kenma's response was only obvious, so what's the point of them asking in the first place? If they're taking Knight's words into consideration, wouldn't it make sense if they just keep silent and observe Kenma's activities from afar (which is what Ruri eventually propose to do) rather than ask him directly? Right now, Kenma knows that they know, and things are becoming more complicated for them... unnecessarily.

... Squall Tandoji? Seriously, [gg]?

8:

I could tell that Hellbrick was just making Ruri and Squall Tandoji go on a wild goose chase, from a mile away.

And see what I meant when I said that the both were idiots for asking Kenmi directly about Knight's allegations? They've dugged graves for themselves, and now they're probably heading straight into them. Other than that, I think this episode is just one of those cool-off, let-loose periods like in many other similar shows, like Star Driver for one.

But this begs one question: so what happens to Wakana now? She's swept under the rug, or are we expecting a love triangle? I'm not getting hints that there will be one, so now I'm feeling sorry for her character.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:06:45 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
9:

Uh huh, I was wondering what happened to Wakana.

I don't get it; at first, I thought that she would be Tandoji's love interest but it turns out that that role has been taken by Ruri instead. So what does make Wakana, then? A cheerleader? A "character developer"? If it's the latter, then I feel sorry for Wakana because she's done something so substantial for the show by triggering Tandoji's characterization, yet she doesn't get the royalties for it. She's just playing second fiddle to Ruri, and I think it's unfair. You see, Wako from Star Driver was based on similar premises as her, but since she assumed both the roles of love interest and the bridge between two protagonists, her character was considerably substantial. Not in Wakana's case, though.

Secondly, it's about this episode. It is an entertaining one - the fight sequences are the kind I was expecting the show to be more consistent in - and I suppose that this makes it one of Sacred Seven's better episodes. The thing is, why this when there are only a few episodes left, and thus show should be focusing more on the plot? A case of the right thing at the wrong time, perhaps.

Minor curiosity: why didn't Ruri and her group just target the monster's Darkstone right from the onset?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 12:22:32 AM »
10~11:

And you think that No. 6 has pacing issues. This one's a cross punch to the bollocks.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »
Final:

You know what, since this episode is all about climatic battles, then so be it. It did quite a good job at it so I won't bitch about the episode about it, but I do have one issue: Fei. I don't get how her sense of uselessness leads to her desire to destroy everything. The former sounds like she wants to kill herself since she's been excess baggage to everyone (and this show, if you ask me), but the latter sounds like she hates everyone even when the only person she hates is Kenmi. In short, I just don't see her logic.

For all the seriousness in this show, two things made me laugh:

1) No sane man would think that a mecha-Pedo Bear is cool. I lol'ed.

2) I just think that having dumbbells for a tombstone is badass.

--

My thoughts on Sacred Seven:

This show is pretty much like Star Driver: pretty sexy boys, cute girls, some mecha elements, good production values, nice music, etc. But perhaps what's missing in this show is flamboyance: the show is like a peacock without the colorful feathers. It wants to show off, but it's not doing enough. Star Driver managed to do that (putting aside its terrible repetitiveness) and its "OOMPH" flamboyance smacks you right in the face in a good way, but Sacred Seven doesn't. At most, Sacred Seven is just lulzy with the Maid Force and stuff.

Then, there's the characters that I just don't empathize: Ruri looks is no more than a doll that speaks, Hellbrick is just annoying, and the other characters are just generic. The plot is pretty straightforward too; nothing amazing per se since it's just the classic story of a sympathetic villain and a mad scientist.

It's a 5/10. Oh, and [gg] sucks. I only had to put up with their ineffective trolling because no one else subbed the series.
Pages: [1]   Go Up