Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 01:39:28 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blade  (Read 2361 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Blade
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
1:

It's as derpy as it gets.

I don't like what I'm seeing one bit. First, and most important or all, this version of Blade is incredibly dull. And based on how I judge previous Marvel-Madhouse series, if the lead character fails, then the show fails too. The big problem here is, he's not edgy. Wesley Snipes did a fabulous job not at becoming Blade himself, but adding his own flavor, character and style to his role in one of my favorite B-grade comic-based action movies ever. But what we have here is the poetic kind who looks and behaves more like a priest rather than a hunter, which is distasteful for one who's supposed to be filled with murderous rage over the death of his mother. And even this, I don't even feel for a second throughout the episode.

Another problem is just how generic the story is or will be. A vampire hunter wannabe and her old man got too much to swallow in their vampire hunting feast, the latter kicked the bucket, the bitch cries and now hates Blade for killing his then undead old man. I can see how the story goes already: Makoto hates Blade with the intensity of a thousand suns, but melts into butter when she finds out that Blade is in the same situation as she is, and they both become tag team partners. And if three times' the charm, she will eventually die because the Japanese chick always do (expect for X-Men which was a surprise).

Generic 80's rock music, shoddy and dull animation, a poor start and a protagonist whom I won't gonna give a damn... yes, this show is going down the same route as Wolverine. And the good thing is, I don't know much about the comic book superhero so my inner fanboy can just staple his mouth shut.

2:

Nyanpires. Meow.

Mr. Eric Brooks here is in desperate need of a personality. Wesley Snipes did a wonderful job as him in the live-action movies, incorporating his own style and render the vampire hunter one that knows how to kick vampire ass with karate chops rather than just silver weapons. I'm not asking anime Blade to be like Snipes, but at least have the decency to make him someone I care about, like how I love to see Snipe-Blade being badass.

Now on to the episode.

Terribly pedestrian, but it's amazing to see how the detective immediately believes Blade's claims without a shadow of a doubt. It's like he hates the captain, and has been waiting for some stranger to accuse foul play just so that he has a witness by his side. And Blade's fight against Sonic the Vampire Hedgehog is incredibly dull. A little creativity would've been great, people, and not just some deceive-and-slash one trick pony.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:24:37 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Blade
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »
3:

Makoto jumping up to a few stories high, a dog that can kill a vampire just by biting it... oh god, all the C-grade action is making me plotz.

4:

The badass mutt wears a vest. That's gangsta.

My goodness, just look at how generic and lame the action sequences are, and equally bad is the shoddy and inconsistent animation quality. The drama? Pretty lame and generic too. I almost laughed at how Blade's mom had a few seconds to spare for remorse. It's all becoming too much like Wolverine.

But you know what's the worst? Blade being a one-trick pony. A little creativity would go a long way, peoples!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:14:47 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »
5:

The artwork and animation are getting more derpy by the episode. I could've sworn that the characters' faces change in every scene, and the scenes featuring vampire soldiers swarming to attack Blade is horribly lazy. If the rest of the Marvel-Madhouse series and the Blade live-action movies are B-grade, then this is just C-grade.

Not only is this show proving to be of shitty quality, it's also losing my respect because it's a half-assed imitation of Wolverine. I could've sworn that the minority tribe is a copy of the radical group who were fighting against Shingen, and that the Mananangal is an inspired product of Vadhaka. Perhaps what's more unforgivable is how the tribal group is yet another ally of Blade, and Blade and Co. is basically known as Team "Revenge-Against-Frost-For-Killing-Our-Loved-Ones".

Oh yeah, and there's the usual action sequences where they're nothing more than just screenshots of Blade and his "tearing up in the air" swordfights. Not sequences, SCREENSHOTS. Boy, this is something animators can use MS Powerpoint to do so.

6:

Everything is terrible: the drama, the action sequences, the animation. EVERYTHING. And you know what else? This show is making a turn for the worst:

Spoiler for Hiden:

If you put two shits together, what do you get? MORE SHIT, OF COURSE!

7:

Urgh, for a powerful pureblood, he sure died pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:57:14 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
8:

Vampire ninjas... well, we've already seen vampire cats and a vampire-hunting dog so what's there to be surprised about?

I hate how Wolverine's subplot is spilled over Blade's show, the reason being that it has nothing much to do with the main plot. It has something to do with Blade's background but since this show has pretty much failed on characterization (and perhaps everything else), I wonder if it needs to focus on it in the first place.

And I hate how this episode began; for a second, I thought I forgot to watch an episode before it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 05:11:52 AM »
9:

Dear god, talk about bad narrative.

We get some background on Blade and Kikyo. Good. Kikyo is obsessed with being the strongest fighter of all time. Not only is this so pedestrian for character development of an antagonist, it's also devoid of credibility: why does he even want to earn such a title in the first place? Another clichéd development is how the antagonist wants to be put out his misery, but perhaps this method of storytelling would be more provocative.

And you know what's even better/worse? The master makes a grand surprise of showing up right after that flashback. A blatant crime of deus ex machina, if you ask me, because otherwise, Blade and Kikyo would continue to hack each other (which I was hoping to see even if the fight sequences are Limburger-cheesy). The master hits Blade with the ultimate blow, and Blade makes a comeback with the ultimate blow as well. I plotz.

How the hell did Kikyo sustained that gash on his gut? I don't remember him getting it from anyone. More importantly, I thought that he can recover from any wound rapidly, so what's up with that?

10:

Generic background storytelling for a sympathetic villain. Not to mention, Frost's actions prove to be terribly ironic: he's become everything he's ever hated, and it looks like he isn't even aware of it. Worse, he knows his actions don't mean anything since his son is dead.

But at least there's one thing I'm looking forward to: Makoto's death. Yeah, it feels good to be on the mark.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:56:40 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 01:53:43 AM »
11~12:

Fan-effin-tastic, it's over. It's been a pain following this show, and what do we have for a finale? Kikyo becoming the ace in the hole (again, just like in Wolverine) and fade into oblivion, Helsing carrying a minigun like it's made out of papier-mâché, Makoto making an appearance (I thought that her death signifies the last time we ever have to see her) and Blade pulling off a sword stunt copylifted from Rurouni Kenshin. For a second, I thought it would be that last move he learned from his late master. But no, that went down the drain.

--

My thoughts on Blade:

If it makes the show more appropriately-entitled, it should be called "Dull Blade" instead. No distinctive style, facepalming action sequences, shoddy C-grade animation, generic 80's rock music (to which all the previous Marvel anime should be guilty of recycling), cookie-cutter sympathetic antagonist, throwaway characters... it's just shit, and probably the worst among the four in the Marvel-Madhouse project. It's been almost a year since I began following the project, and I remembered just how good the Iron Man trailer was (directed by the same person who did Redline so of course), but now looking back in hindsight, it was the beginning of a piss-poor attempt at Western comics.

It's somewhere between a 3 and a 4, I'm still thinking. Perhaps it doesn't matter; ultimately the show sucks, and it along with the project should be buried and cemented for good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up