Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 09:27:59 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kamui Gaiden  (Read 2870 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Kamui Gaiden
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »
So, talking about terrible movies (Hanamizuki, that is) brought Kamui Gaiden to mind.  I think that might be the worst Japanese movie I've seen recently.  If I hadn't read the back of the DVD cover, I probably would not have known what was going on.  There was very little dialogue in the entire movie, and almost none from the main character.  The action was overly reliant on wire work and came across as kind of silly, although when fights took place on the ground without any "special effects," they were really awesome.  I'll be honest.... I picked it up purely for Matsuyama Kenichi, who I consider one of the more interesting actors in Japan now.  Which, of course, is not at all influenced by the fangirlish crush I may or may not have towards him.  Heh heh... :D

There is one saving grace to Kamui Gaiden, but it wasn't in the movie itself.  The making of videos that also came on the DVD were stellar.  Matsuyama did all of his own stunts, I believe.  He trained for months and months to be able to perform the fight sequences, and lucky for us they recorded it.  For some reason, maybe tied to my crush, it was extremely fascinating for me to watch gangly Matsuyama execute amazing martial arts move after amazing martial arts move.  It was actually truly impressive, and I think I don't mind spending the money to see some of the behind-the-scenes videos for Kamui Gaiden, no matter how terrible a movie it actually was.

I wanted to link that training video, but for once youtube has failed me.  Boo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up