Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 06:11:19 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SKET Dance  (Read 13351 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: SKET Dance
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »
16:

TRANSFORMINATOR!!

You know what I like about this episode? The Pillows' "Funny Bunny". Having one of my favorite tracks from FLCL in this episode just brightens up the day.

17:

Keikaku doori.

Well, at least the whole The Pillows' cover and 10th anniversary were a nice touch... wow, it's been 10 years?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:28:38 AM by AC »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
14:

Melodramatic much?

15:

Poor, it's just random humour that's solely made up of misses. I thought this show could have been good once.

16:

Lol, Bakuman reference. Better than the last two, and looks like it's improving slightly towards the end, but it's still a bit sub-standard. I want to see more of what this show can give us, rather than what it keeps giving us.

17:

Okay, that was quite good. I feel they quietened the music a bit too much when it was being played, but that's a small quibble. They improved the animation of the characters faces during the concert scene, which showed, I think it was pulled of well, albeit slightly heavy handed. I'm happy with this one.

18:

Nice opening, it's a good change, and it kind of makes it feel like the show will be good. It turned out to be shit though. Someone should have shut that teacher up as soon as he opened his mouth.

19:

That was better than the last, it was certainly funny at points, but it's still not very good. I am inclined to agree with the court ruling of 'shit' though I do still have some hope for this.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
20:

It's taking a new direction and everything - Into romance, nah, just kidding.

It's quite amusing to be fair, I can laugh at their actions since they remind me of actions I've seen (or done myself) before. Awkward silences in particular, I find myself in them sometimes, though this is because I often prefer to sit in an awkward silence than have a conversation that you have to force the whole time, as Switch and Bossun were forced to. Himeko acts like a tsundere, but this is a sort of tsundere-ness that I actually quite like, since she thinks the two of them are pricks, but then realizes that she really likes their company as the table scene progresses. Well, it's just a funny bit about friendship.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
23:

I liked this episode. The animation was noticeably different, as was the directing, both of which were intentional. There were more soft pastel colours, and there were lot of repeating bits. It was fairly funny, and some bits of the episode had intense exchange of words when Himeko and Momoka had just grown small and the scientist guy came in. I liked Switch's discomfort at having to go to the same Pre-School guy each time, as he gradually got suspicious. I thought it was done well enough to be amusing.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
I've dropped this show a few weeks ago. It's grown weary on me, even though it's not that bad a show.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
24:

It's strange how this episode is formatted. It starts of with a half episode story, then it starts an arc which will last at least a couple of episodes. Seems a strange way to do things.

Anyway, the first half the episode was alright, but it's the second partof the episode I'm interested in. I imagine it'll be the back story behind why Switch uses a voice synthesizer, but for now it's a story from the past about the relationship between him, his brother (who's voice he uses for the synthesizer) and their childhood friend. I amazed to be honest, a back story, a character analysis and a serious theme - who imagined that coming out of SKET Dance? I think the latter half of the episode was very good, and for once I'm really looking forward to next week's episode.

@AC - The latter half of this episode looks to be SKET Dance at it's best. It's not the greatest thing ever, but I think the 10-12 minutes of it should be worth your time.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 06:37:05 AM »
25:

****, Switch's back story was tragic. Seriously, this episode and the latter half of the previous episode have been the best this series has ever known. I preferred them to some episodes of Usagi Drop.

It seems I got confused last episode though, Switch was the older brother, not the younger one. It was quite confusing, but there's a very good reason for this, so I'm fine with it.

What a story Sket Dance had up it's sleeve, who knew?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »
26:

A crossover with Gintama? That's... a contrast with last episode. They broke the fourth wall, stamped on it, and relieved themselves on it. There were actor allusions galore, they brought in the guy from the first episode just because he had the same voice as the one of the Gintama guys, they pointed all of these out of course. They make reference to the time slot that Sket Dance and Gintama have, as well as the contents of each other show. I believe the Rei Kugimiya loli from Gintama said "Who watched this crap?" when talking about Sket Dance, this was very... ironic? Truthful? I don't know the word I need to describe it... They even went so far as to point out faults in previous episodes, like a broken sword suddenly fixing itself the next scene in the second episode.

They were throwing references all over the place, Steins;Gate ("I added a time travel function as a joke, and they seemed to have activated it, Tuturru!) and Naruto were among them, I'm sure there were other that I missed.

Never seen Gintama, is it funny? Well, judging from this episode, not that funny. On MAL, it's first season is 3rd, and the second season is 1st, in terms of average score... Am I missing something here?

Since this looks like it'll continue forever into the future (or near about) I'll only comment once every three or four episodes, unless an episode of note comes up.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
It's already been 4 weeks...

27:

New opening and Ending. The ending is just fan service (apart from the Yabas). New character as well, too much energy and a clutz, a fairly common trope. The episode as a whole was mildly amusing, but it wasn't great.

28:

Pretty dull. In fact I found it annoying most the time. Why do they have episodes like 24 and 25 and then get shit again? Oh wait...

29:

Well, that was retarded.

30:

That was relatively funny, it's weird how addicted people get to collecting items. It was okay. Anyway, why the hell has this sunk into mediocrity again? That was so amzing at episodes 24 and 25, do they just give up on being good?

Hah, next week they're going to take the rip into Bakuman. Hopefully this should be funny.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:05 AM »
31: Nah it wasn't that funny, though the voice actress for Asuki from Bakuman came on, it's weird, I was almost as if I knew it would happen. Oh, that impression of Nizuma Eiji was relatively funny, but the episode was mostly shit.

32: It was funnier than last episode, that's for certain.

33: My gosh, the melodrama! There was a mystery, after watching Sket Dance for so long, you know who it's going to be, though the reasoning was reasonable. The melodrama was awful though, made me wince.

34: That was actually quite funny, I laughed out loud multiple times. I mean, the standard is still pretty bad, but I can at least enjoy an episode once in a while.

35: The puzzles were quite good, if slightly basic, I got the first and last one. The episode was alright, though the second half ended exactly like I thought it would, Sket Dance just loves to pull a massive twist that makes the successful love completely unsuccessful. Oh well.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
46:

10 weeks since I last commented on this, so I will give you the run down of what happened: Nothing much. A few life lessons, the starting of a romance between two of the Teachers, and we had Himeko's story. However, hers was nowhere near as good as Switch's. However, we now have Bossun, the protagonist's story. Was it good?

I think it was.

Like Switch's story, you aren't given any context for the beginning, there's just someone who look exactly like Bossun, but he's with two characters we don't quite recognize. Turns out it's his dad. This story is about Bossun's parents. I'll avoid giving spoilers because of the 0.01% chance anyone here will decide to watch it, but it was a well done episode on the whole. There's still part two to come next week, so I'll be commenting on that next week too, since this is the second best arc of all of Sket Dance so far.

Have you guys read the manga? Trust me on this one. Sket Dance only gets better with time. It isn't always frenetic and in later parts, each character has an emotional(without being too emotional y'know?) backstory that might surprise even the most astute of viewers.
It took a while, but it turned out to be true.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »
47:

So, although some of it was a tad melodramatic, and Bossun's behaviour was slightly odd at times, I think that was pretty good. It was better than almost all the other airing shows I'm watching, which isn't difficult frankly, but it was good none the less.

Now that's done, SKET Dance will go back to normal for ages, I probably won't be commenting on this for another season, unless it ends.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »
48:

Now that's a surprise, turns out there was a notable follow on episode. Basically, turns out Bossun and Tsubaki (the angry one from the Student council)
Spoiler for Hiden:
are brothers
. It was quite a good episode actually. Okay, now I'll stop commenting on this for another quarter of a year unless something notable happens.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
49, 50, 51:

Okay, seems I'm commenting on this more again. The few episodes have been focusing on the relationship between Bossun and Himeko, and between Bossun and Tsubaki (now that they both know they're... _____). They have been pretty good, I'd rate them around 5.

Anyway, Sket Dance just told me it's been a year since I started watching it (well, one more week), so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the first 50 episodes.

The Series so Far

I don't watch this critically anymore, I stopped after episode 25. If it ended right now, I'd give it either a 4 or 5, probably a 5, though as the episode length is increasing, the probability that I'll be unable to rate it when it ends gets ever greater. Like how I won't rate Bleach, Naruto, One Piece or Faiy Tail, if it continues for another year, I think I'll find it impossible to rate it because I'll have grown accustomed to it. It's been good and bad, but mostly it's been average, there have been good episodes like the backstories of the main trio (I liked Switches particularly), whereas some have been terrible, though not that many.

I think the show will gradually expand upon the numerous characters in it's cast, and whilst some will forever be joke characters, most will get a back story, and some character development. It hasn't focused on the Student Council much, which I find surprising, but I imagine it will in the coming episodes. Switch has been fading a little into the background, and it seems they are introducing a new character next episode, who is "A big boobed pony-tailed tsundere" in the very own words of the program. I'll see what happens with that.

I don't regret keeping this up, I'm happy I did, and I'm happy to keep doing so.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »
74:

Who the hell directed this episode? A hyperactive child? It's like the guy was going out his way to show it was a different director at the helm, he went totally ****ing crazy.

What's happened in the last 23 episodes:

Introduced Saaya, a (in the show's own words) "big boobed clumsy tsundere", who is currently a love interest of Bossun. Despite her description, she isn't a bad character and has received plenty of development, and serves as a love interest well. There was a whole arc a while back that served to make Bossun aware about love in general and how close his relationship was to Himeko, which was good. I believe they started up a potential relationship between Switch and Momoko, but that was more vague.

Overall, not too bad, but nothing special.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up