Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 01:25:31 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: SKET Dance  (Read 13378 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

SKET Dance
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
1:

Ahh, my head ><" ...

It's an all-out shounen show. I mean, "shounen" is written all over the show. Heck, even the title design is a carbon copy of BLEACH's. And the show has the stereotypical character archetypes that are synonymous with shounen anime. You have the bravado head honcho with a big heart and a mouth for preachin virtues to match, a tomboy (more specifically a yankee for this case) and the new kid. Sure, the pseudo-Stephen Hawking is a novelty character, but that's the problem: novelty characters tend to "turn bad" very quickly.

I guess the breakneck speed of the episodes and the gags is intentional on the staff's part, but I kinda hate it. The train of gags - getting over with one gag/event after another - is coming in at such a blistering speed that I don't realize what the gag is all about. For example, it was supposedly obvious who the masked guy is, but I couldn't figure it out because everything was moving too fast. I mean, this is definitely not Tatami Galaxy material, so I don't really see the appeal or purpose of the pace.

Well, at least the animation is crisp and the art is clean. But it being a shounen show isn't winning my favor at all. Plus, shows like aren't gonna end anytime soon. For all you know, this may be the new Fairy Tail sans the magical elements.

I may stay on with the show but for now, I need to massage my temples for a minute... urgh...

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: SKET Dance
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
1:

Okay it was fine, but I'm indifferent towards it for the most part.

2:

I know I'm probably wasting my time watching this, but it's providing me with enough entertainment, so I'll keep watching. The format of half episodes makes the whole thing feel pointless and rushed, since no real time can be spent developing anything, but it's better than if they'd decided to have one episode per story, because that would have been twice as pointless, since they have no worth. What sort of program is this supposed to be anyway?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
2:

This show is really high on amphetamines.

I think that the comedy doesn't work because of the pace: It's just too frantic and hasty for me to even catch the gag. The comedy aren't that bad; it follows a NetaJin-like boke-tsukkomi style of humor, and I'm not against it since I enjoy it myself. But for any humor style, the most important element to determine what makes good or bad humor is execution. Nobody wants to see a bad joke; it really leaves a sour aftertaste.

Himeko is bearing more and more resemblance to One Piece's Nami. She's probably the only valid reason for me to follow the show, even if something tells me that this show is gonna be endless, like any other shounen series.

Offline fuu

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
Have you guys read the manga? Trust me on this one. Sket Dance only gets better with time. It isn't always frenetic and in later parts, each character has an emotional(without being too emotional y'know?) backstory that might surprise even the most astute of viewers.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
I don't read manga, period.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »
I don't read manga either.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:32:21 AM »
3:

That was terrible, predictable, and unoriginal. The girl reminds me of Madoka from Kimagure Orange Road, with the whole 'she used to be a one woman gang that was famous for being super strong, but she stopped after she met the protagonist' business. Heck, I'm sure I saw that episode in Kimagure Orange Road, just with slightly different situations.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:58 AM »
3:

Yeah well, I can see the direction this show is heading. The episode may have shed some light on Himeko's past, but it's too commonplace. Plus, the show will always feature Bossun putting on his goggles every time he needs to come up with a plan.

Let's just put it this way: Himeko's peculiar taste in her lollipop flavors is more interesting than the story itself.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
1:

Not interesting enough for me.  The humor isn't terrible, though most of the actually funny stuff seems to revolve around "Switch" and his penchant for random facts.  I giggled at his self introduction including his favorite Visored, since the seiyuu for this character also provided the voice of the aforementioned Bleach character (in other words, intentional Actor Allusion).

Beyond that?  Had the "mystery (Scoob!)" pegged immediately and didn't care for much else.  Probably wont follow this one.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:16:43 AM »
4:

Part 1:

I thought that her unique ability to materializse manga panels was unique, but her cuteness is disgusting. It's not the genuinely kind of cute, no, it's the kind of cuteness that sickens you. Plus, her otome filter is so ****ed up that I don't even know if she can tell the truth even if her life depends on it (a towel for a cat? Are you shittin' me?). Not sure if I find the meta-comments funny; something about them don't click with me. But I did find Bossun's uncanny ability to draw a little amusing.

Part 2:

So what's exactly wrong with Joe's action? Whatever happened to finders-keepers, eh?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:25:22 AM »
4:

Another two in one episode format, which is probably going to appear most episodes, or at the very least every other. This episode was just about overplayed and retarded genre savviness and breaking down walls that were better up. I didn't find it funny, and for half the episode, I didn't realize I was supposed to. The format for these episodes is going to be along the lines of "(Dual) problem/s of the week" with the ocassional episode dedicated to exploring the main characters. In any case, I'm very close to dropping this...

And didn't SKET rob that guy of something worth 100,000? They should be jailed.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
5:

Here's some food for thought: Why does Bossun only resort to using his Galaxy Goggles at the climax of any assignment? Wouldn't it save time and energy from anyone if he uses it from the start?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
To be honest, in this case I thought it made sense for him to use it when he did. The episode was pretty boring though.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 06:22:35 AM »
6:

You know what...

... I actually like this episode. The comedy is pretty much a mixed bag with a fair share of hits and misses (more of the latter, to be honest) but the episode has done pretty well with the drama, which is something I didn't expect from a shounen comedy like this. Strangely, it's the frantic pacing that makes the climatic drama work; had it been slower, it would've come off sappy and draggy. And the puppet show too; it's nothing original, but a good puppet show is a good puppet show. Well done; I'm beginning to like Momoka as a character too.

But what a hardass Tsubaki is. What foreign object is stuck up his ass...

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »
6:

I didn't like this episode as much as AC did, I found it to be too melodramatic, especially the puppet show which I did find sappy and draggy. That said, it wasn't terrible, in fact I did enjoy parts of it, I even laughed at points, and although I thought it was melodramatic and sappy, I didn't hate the scene. It was a good effort, hopefully the show will follow this up with some more 'better' episodes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »
7:

Whoa whoa, wait a second here.

What's the deal with the drastic change of pace? It's slower than the average frantic pacing of SKET Dance, and the people aren't overreacting... and I kinda love it. The story is unoriginal but it's sweet and genuine enough to be likable, and the show actually pulls the story off quite well. At least the show knows how not to take itself too frivolously all the time.

Good job.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »
7:

I'm with AC, what's with this tender sweetness all of a sudden? I like the fact that this show might actually pull off what I had been hoping and keep up with these episode, though I don't have the highest of hopes for the next one.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
7:

This episode went back to typical Sket-Dance pace, of weird humour, which I thought it might. However, the humour in the first half wasn't actually that bad at all. I find several things funny, like the stupid faces, Switch leaning so far forward towards Momoka that he's horizontal, and the ridiculousness of the anime Switch showed them. The second part wasn't funny really, but it was entertaining enough.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
8:

Part 1:

I just like Momoka. She's a sheep in wolf's clothing, the type where she wants to be a thug even when she's not made for it, whether this is intentional on the show's part or not. Speaking of which, the show now tries to tackle something meta (i.e. an episode about making anime ŕ la Bakuman), but without taking it seriously. The sketch succeeded in something: making me go "WTF" over We Are Nervous, and it's something I think that Himeko has every right to about. Nice.

Part 2:

Not nice. In fact, it's terrible. The show made an ass of itself and I don't think it's intentional. I won't bother to explain what's wrong with this; let's just say that I want to flail that bespectacled... "thing".

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 06:29:18 AM »
9:

Right, another meta-material but it's not half-bad. The episode handled Bossun being a kid out of mishap well enough, and Himeko's HNNNGH-ness was funny in a cute way.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 07:18:12 AM »
9:

The comedy is better than it used to be, but I want the show to go back to where it was best, which was with the more serious stuff.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »
10:

Nice jab at Kimi ni Todoke; it actually hit the nail on the head with the punchline.

But what about the case itself? Very elaborate and smart... if only I understand what the ****ing hell was the teacher's motivation in doing what he did, and it being resolved by the most classic (read: predictable) trick in the book.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
10:

It was clever how he worked it out, but from the viewers point of view, there were only two possible culprits, the girl or the teacher. And it became pretty clear that it wasn't the girl, so by deduction it was the teacher. How come there were only two suspects? Simply because there were only six people in this episode, 3 of the were Sket Dance, and one of them was the victim (Usually she could be a suspect, but the show made it clear early on that it wasn't her).

In terms of it being broadcast to the school, I wondered how come he didn't notice that the speckers wereon, they should have been audible from the room they were in, and also, considering the length of time it took him to admit it, I find it slightly humorous how the entire school would have been listening to it for over 5 minutes, stood deadly still.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »
11:

Not the best of episodes, but certainly not the worst of episodes. How cute that she could actually cook but she hid it since she was afraid of being hurt. The judges were meant to be annoying, and they were, especially on the verdict. Next episode is continuing on from this, so I know what to expect.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
11:

This is Farmville re-enacted in a live-action variety gameshow so that Ms. Yabas can get her radish for her farm. Well, not too shabby.

But the episode gives me an idea. Wouldn't it be fun (in a sadistic way) to see Angry Birds being made into a real-life gameshow? The birds are real contestants and they're launched on this huge catapult and into walls so as to beat the pigs? Man, if this were to happen...

... this show's full of novel ideas.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 06:57:37 AM »
12:

How shounen. It was in a half-joking way, but a shounen scene is a shounen scene, ah whatever. The game with Switch was pretty well thought out, although it also suffered from the lengthy explanations of shounen fights.

I found the preview very disconcerting, "Ah, I'm finally here, this is the city of Bristol". I live in city named Bristol, so I had a double take. Oh the coincidences of life....

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24:23 AM »
13:

Well, that was a shin to the bollocks.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
13:

If Kaiji was a shounen show, it would look like that. Well, it wasn't too bad, just incredibly anticlimactic.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 05:46:49 AM »
14:

See, this is why I never understand why people in school want to be popular so badly, apart from them being shallow. For the dude's case, being unpopular has never been a problem; it's about him not having friends. This is different from wanting to be popular, which translates to wanting a lot of people know you even if you already have friends. In the grand scheme of things, having friends or not may not be as important as being happy with yourself, which takes precedence in almost any case if you ask me.

And since when being Mr. Otaku makes one popular? I thought people have negative perceptions on otakus, especially in Japan.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »
15:

Probably the best example of the boke-tsukkomi comedy style. And Himeko's bursts of rage are cute.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »
16:

TRANSFORMINATOR!!

You know what I like about this episode? The Pillows' "Funny Bunny". Having one of my favorite tracks from FLCL in this episode just brightens up the day.

17:

Keikaku doori.

Well, at least the whole The Pillows' cover and 10th anniversary were a nice touch... wow, it's been 10 years?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:28:38 AM by AC »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
14:

Melodramatic much?

15:

Poor, it's just random humour that's solely made up of misses. I thought this show could have been good once.

16:

Lol, Bakuman reference. Better than the last two, and looks like it's improving slightly towards the end, but it's still a bit sub-standard. I want to see more of what this show can give us, rather than what it keeps giving us.

17:

Okay, that was quite good. I feel they quietened the music a bit too much when it was being played, but that's a small quibble. They improved the animation of the characters faces during the concert scene, which showed, I think it was pulled of well, albeit slightly heavy handed. I'm happy with this one.

18:

Nice opening, it's a good change, and it kind of makes it feel like the show will be good. It turned out to be shit though. Someone should have shut that teacher up as soon as he opened his mouth.

19:

That was better than the last, it was certainly funny at points, but it's still not very good. I am inclined to agree with the court ruling of 'shit' though I do still have some hope for this.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
20:

It's taking a new direction and everything - Into romance, nah, just kidding.

It's quite amusing to be fair, I can laugh at their actions since they remind me of actions I've seen (or done myself) before. Awkward silences in particular, I find myself in them sometimes, though this is because I often prefer to sit in an awkward silence than have a conversation that you have to force the whole time, as Switch and Bossun were forced to. Himeko acts like a tsundere, but this is a sort of tsundere-ness that I actually quite like, since she thinks the two of them are pricks, but then realizes that she really likes their company as the table scene progresses. Well, it's just a funny bit about friendship.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
23:

I liked this episode. The animation was noticeably different, as was the directing, both of which were intentional. There were more soft pastel colours, and there were lot of repeating bits. It was fairly funny, and some bits of the episode had intense exchange of words when Himeko and Momoka had just grown small and the scientist guy came in. I liked Switch's discomfort at having to go to the same Pre-School guy each time, as he gradually got suspicious. I thought it was done well enough to be amusing.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
I've dropped this show a few weeks ago. It's grown weary on me, even though it's not that bad a show.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
24:

It's strange how this episode is formatted. It starts of with a half episode story, then it starts an arc which will last at least a couple of episodes. Seems a strange way to do things.

Anyway, the first half the episode was alright, but it's the second partof the episode I'm interested in. I imagine it'll be the back story behind why Switch uses a voice synthesizer, but for now it's a story from the past about the relationship between him, his brother (who's voice he uses for the synthesizer) and their childhood friend. I amazed to be honest, a back story, a character analysis and a serious theme - who imagined that coming out of SKET Dance? I think the latter half of the episode was very good, and for once I'm really looking forward to next week's episode.

@AC - The latter half of this episode looks to be SKET Dance at it's best. It's not the greatest thing ever, but I think the 10-12 minutes of it should be worth your time.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 06:37:05 AM »
25:

****, Switch's back story was tragic. Seriously, this episode and the latter half of the previous episode have been the best this series has ever known. I preferred them to some episodes of Usagi Drop.

It seems I got confused last episode though, Switch was the older brother, not the younger one. It was quite confusing, but there's a very good reason for this, so I'm fine with it.

What a story Sket Dance had up it's sleeve, who knew?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »
26:

A crossover with Gintama? That's... a contrast with last episode. They broke the fourth wall, stamped on it, and relieved themselves on it. There were actor allusions galore, they brought in the guy from the first episode just because he had the same voice as the one of the Gintama guys, they pointed all of these out of course. They make reference to the time slot that Sket Dance and Gintama have, as well as the contents of each other show. I believe the Rei Kugimiya loli from Gintama said "Who watched this crap?" when talking about Sket Dance, this was very... ironic? Truthful? I don't know the word I need to describe it... They even went so far as to point out faults in previous episodes, like a broken sword suddenly fixing itself the next scene in the second episode.

They were throwing references all over the place, Steins;Gate ("I added a time travel function as a joke, and they seemed to have activated it, Tuturru!) and Naruto were among them, I'm sure there were other that I missed.

Never seen Gintama, is it funny? Well, judging from this episode, not that funny. On MAL, it's first season is 3rd, and the second season is 1st, in terms of average score... Am I missing something here?

Since this looks like it'll continue forever into the future (or near about) I'll only comment once every three or four episodes, unless an episode of note comes up.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
It's already been 4 weeks...

27:

New opening and Ending. The ending is just fan service (apart from the Yabas). New character as well, too much energy and a clutz, a fairly common trope. The episode as a whole was mildly amusing, but it wasn't great.

28:

Pretty dull. In fact I found it annoying most the time. Why do they have episodes like 24 and 25 and then get shit again? Oh wait...

29:

Well, that was retarded.

30:

That was relatively funny, it's weird how addicted people get to collecting items. It was okay. Anyway, why the hell has this sunk into mediocrity again? That was so amzing at episodes 24 and 25, do they just give up on being good?

Hah, next week they're going to take the rip into Bakuman. Hopefully this should be funny.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:05 AM »
31: Nah it wasn't that funny, though the voice actress for Asuki from Bakuman came on, it's weird, I was almost as if I knew it would happen. Oh, that impression of Nizuma Eiji was relatively funny, but the episode was mostly shit.

32: It was funnier than last episode, that's for certain.

33: My gosh, the melodrama! There was a mystery, after watching Sket Dance for so long, you know who it's going to be, though the reasoning was reasonable. The melodrama was awful though, made me wince.

34: That was actually quite funny, I laughed out loud multiple times. I mean, the standard is still pretty bad, but I can at least enjoy an episode once in a while.

35: The puzzles were quite good, if slightly basic, I got the first and last one. The episode was alright, though the second half ended exactly like I thought it would, Sket Dance just loves to pull a massive twist that makes the successful love completely unsuccessful. Oh well.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
46:

10 weeks since I last commented on this, so I will give you the run down of what happened: Nothing much. A few life lessons, the starting of a romance between two of the Teachers, and we had Himeko's story. However, hers was nowhere near as good as Switch's. However, we now have Bossun, the protagonist's story. Was it good?

I think it was.

Like Switch's story, you aren't given any context for the beginning, there's just someone who look exactly like Bossun, but he's with two characters we don't quite recognize. Turns out it's his dad. This story is about Bossun's parents. I'll avoid giving spoilers because of the 0.01% chance anyone here will decide to watch it, but it was a well done episode on the whole. There's still part two to come next week, so I'll be commenting on that next week too, since this is the second best arc of all of Sket Dance so far.

Have you guys read the manga? Trust me on this one. Sket Dance only gets better with time. It isn't always frenetic and in later parts, each character has an emotional(without being too emotional y'know?) backstory that might surprise even the most astute of viewers.
It took a while, but it turned out to be true.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »
47:

So, although some of it was a tad melodramatic, and Bossun's behaviour was slightly odd at times, I think that was pretty good. It was better than almost all the other airing shows I'm watching, which isn't difficult frankly, but it was good none the less.

Now that's done, SKET Dance will go back to normal for ages, I probably won't be commenting on this for another season, unless it ends.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »
48:

Now that's a surprise, turns out there was a notable follow on episode. Basically, turns out Bossun and Tsubaki (the angry one from the Student council)
Spoiler for Hiden:
are brothers
. It was quite a good episode actually. Okay, now I'll stop commenting on this for another quarter of a year unless something notable happens.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
49, 50, 51:

Okay, seems I'm commenting on this more again. The few episodes have been focusing on the relationship between Bossun and Himeko, and between Bossun and Tsubaki (now that they both know they're... _____). They have been pretty good, I'd rate them around 5.

Anyway, Sket Dance just told me it's been a year since I started watching it (well, one more week), so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the first 50 episodes.

The Series so Far

I don't watch this critically anymore, I stopped after episode 25. If it ended right now, I'd give it either a 4 or 5, probably a 5, though as the episode length is increasing, the probability that I'll be unable to rate it when it ends gets ever greater. Like how I won't rate Bleach, Naruto, One Piece or Faiy Tail, if it continues for another year, I think I'll find it impossible to rate it because I'll have grown accustomed to it. It's been good and bad, but mostly it's been average, there have been good episodes like the backstories of the main trio (I liked Switches particularly), whereas some have been terrible, though not that many.

I think the show will gradually expand upon the numerous characters in it's cast, and whilst some will forever be joke characters, most will get a back story, and some character development. It hasn't focused on the Student Council much, which I find surprising, but I imagine it will in the coming episodes. Switch has been fading a little into the background, and it seems they are introducing a new character next episode, who is "A big boobed pony-tailed tsundere" in the very own words of the program. I'll see what happens with that.

I don't regret keeping this up, I'm happy I did, and I'm happy to keep doing so.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »
74:

Who the hell directed this episode? A hyperactive child? It's like the guy was going out his way to show it was a different director at the helm, he went totally ****ing crazy.

What's happened in the last 23 episodes:

Introduced Saaya, a (in the show's own words) "big boobed clumsy tsundere", who is currently a love interest of Bossun. Despite her description, she isn't a bad character and has received plenty of development, and serves as a love interest well. There was a whole arc a while back that served to make Bossun aware about love in general and how close his relationship was to Himeko, which was good. I believe they started up a potential relationship between Switch and Momoko, but that was more vague.

Overall, not too bad, but nothing special.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »
IT'S OVER!!!

77:

A good closing episode, we have Saaya confess her love to Bossun (the way the two of them dealt with it was done pretty well, could have been done so much worse), we see all the characters again for the final horrah, including the guy from the first two episodes who we haven't seen since (excluding the Gintama crossover episode). It doesn't end on any note saying there will be a next season, which in a way slightly worries me since I do want to see more of them, but I imagine there will be.

The Series

Well, what is there to say? This is the first time I've said anything on the end of a long running show in detail...

Well, let's have the bad points:

1) The writer deemed that character devlopment could only be done at their allotted times (in this case episodes), leading to very rushed developments that undermined the previous build up. The perfect example of this is where the hints of romance between the two teachers that had been built up for quite some time (but were still only hints) were completely resolved in 1 episode. It was rushed and it all seemed a bit to convenient.

2) The characters weren't the deepest people ever, and many of the side characters were just bad.

3) The humour was hit or miss a lot of the time.

4) Some of the episodes were a bit boring.

Onto the good points:

1) There was decent character development for Saaya and the main trio.

2) The character arcs of the main trio were all strong, with Switches being the very best, followed by Bossun's and then Himeko's.

3) Some of the comedy was genuinely amusing and had me laughing.

4) Most of the characters were likable, and most of them had some characters development of their own.

5) It got stronger as it went along.

Overall... well, honestly I'm thinking anywhere between a 5 and a 7 would be justified.... I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a 6. I would like to see a second season if I'm really honest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up