Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 05:59:17 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SKET Dance  (Read 13376 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

SKET Dance
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
1:

Ahh, my head ><" ...

It's an all-out shounen show. I mean, "shounen" is written all over the show. Heck, even the title design is a carbon copy of BLEACH's. And the show has the stereotypical character archetypes that are synonymous with shounen anime. You have the bravado head honcho with a big heart and a mouth for preachin virtues to match, a tomboy (more specifically a yankee for this case) and the new kid. Sure, the pseudo-Stephen Hawking is a novelty character, but that's the problem: novelty characters tend to "turn bad" very quickly.

I guess the breakneck speed of the episodes and the gags is intentional on the staff's part, but I kinda hate it. The train of gags - getting over with one gag/event after another - is coming in at such a blistering speed that I don't realize what the gag is all about. For example, it was supposedly obvious who the masked guy is, but I couldn't figure it out because everything was moving too fast. I mean, this is definitely not Tatami Galaxy material, so I don't really see the appeal or purpose of the pace.

Well, at least the animation is crisp and the art is clean. But it being a shounen show isn't winning my favor at all. Plus, shows like aren't gonna end anytime soon. For all you know, this may be the new Fairy Tail sans the magical elements.

I may stay on with the show but for now, I need to massage my temples for a minute... urgh...

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: SKET Dance
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
1:

Okay it was fine, but I'm indifferent towards it for the most part.

2:

I know I'm probably wasting my time watching this, but it's providing me with enough entertainment, so I'll keep watching. The format of half episodes makes the whole thing feel pointless and rushed, since no real time can be spent developing anything, but it's better than if they'd decided to have one episode per story, because that would have been twice as pointless, since they have no worth. What sort of program is this supposed to be anyway?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
2:

This show is really high on amphetamines.

I think that the comedy doesn't work because of the pace: It's just too frantic and hasty for me to even catch the gag. The comedy aren't that bad; it follows a NetaJin-like boke-tsukkomi style of humor, and I'm not against it since I enjoy it myself. But for any humor style, the most important element to determine what makes good or bad humor is execution. Nobody wants to see a bad joke; it really leaves a sour aftertaste.

Himeko is bearing more and more resemblance to One Piece's Nami. She's probably the only valid reason for me to follow the show, even if something tells me that this show is gonna be endless, like any other shounen series.

Offline fuu

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
Have you guys read the manga? Trust me on this one. Sket Dance only gets better with time. It isn't always frenetic and in later parts, each character has an emotional(without being too emotional y'know?) backstory that might surprise even the most astute of viewers.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
I don't read manga, period.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »
I don't read manga either.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:32:21 AM »
3:

That was terrible, predictable, and unoriginal. The girl reminds me of Madoka from Kimagure Orange Road, with the whole 'she used to be a one woman gang that was famous for being super strong, but she stopped after she met the protagonist' business. Heck, I'm sure I saw that episode in Kimagure Orange Road, just with slightly different situations.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:58 AM »
3:

Yeah well, I can see the direction this show is heading. The episode may have shed some light on Himeko's past, but it's too commonplace. Plus, the show will always feature Bossun putting on his goggles every time he needs to come up with a plan.

Let's just put it this way: Himeko's peculiar taste in her lollipop flavors is more interesting than the story itself.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
1:

Not interesting enough for me.  The humor isn't terrible, though most of the actually funny stuff seems to revolve around "Switch" and his penchant for random facts.  I giggled at his self introduction including his favorite Visored, since the seiyuu for this character also provided the voice of the aforementioned Bleach character (in other words, intentional Actor Allusion).

Beyond that?  Had the "mystery (Scoob!)" pegged immediately and didn't care for much else.  Probably wont follow this one.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:16:43 AM »
4:

Part 1:

I thought that her unique ability to materializse manga panels was unique, but her cuteness is disgusting. It's not the genuinely kind of cute, no, it's the kind of cuteness that sickens you. Plus, her otome filter is so ****ed up that I don't even know if she can tell the truth even if her life depends on it (a towel for a cat? Are you shittin' me?). Not sure if I find the meta-comments funny; something about them don't click with me. But I did find Bossun's uncanny ability to draw a little amusing.

Part 2:

So what's exactly wrong with Joe's action? Whatever happened to finders-keepers, eh?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:25:22 AM »
4:

Another two in one episode format, which is probably going to appear most episodes, or at the very least every other. This episode was just about overplayed and retarded genre savviness and breaking down walls that were better up. I didn't find it funny, and for half the episode, I didn't realize I was supposed to. The format for these episodes is going to be along the lines of "(Dual) problem/s of the week" with the ocassional episode dedicated to exploring the main characters. In any case, I'm very close to dropping this...

And didn't SKET rob that guy of something worth 100,000? They should be jailed.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
5:

Here's some food for thought: Why does Bossun only resort to using his Galaxy Goggles at the climax of any assignment? Wouldn't it save time and energy from anyone if he uses it from the start?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
To be honest, in this case I thought it made sense for him to use it when he did. The episode was pretty boring though.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 06:22:35 AM »
6:

You know what...

... I actually like this episode. The comedy is pretty much a mixed bag with a fair share of hits and misses (more of the latter, to be honest) but the episode has done pretty well with the drama, which is something I didn't expect from a shounen comedy like this. Strangely, it's the frantic pacing that makes the climatic drama work; had it been slower, it would've come off sappy and draggy. And the puppet show too; it's nothing original, but a good puppet show is a good puppet show. Well done; I'm beginning to like Momoka as a character too.

But what a hardass Tsubaki is. What foreign object is stuck up his ass...

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »
6:

I didn't like this episode as much as AC did, I found it to be too melodramatic, especially the puppet show which I did find sappy and draggy. That said, it wasn't terrible, in fact I did enjoy parts of it, I even laughed at points, and although I thought it was melodramatic and sappy, I didn't hate the scene. It was a good effort, hopefully the show will follow this up with some more 'better' episodes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up