Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 05:46:15 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steins;Gate  (Read 34499 times)

Offline Umbra Sicarius

Re: Steins;Gate
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
Looks like this was an episode meant to cool down while it still managed to advance the plot I am now worried that the next D-mail he cancels will kill Makise Kurisu. :-\
The Cake is a lie.
Sanity is for the Weak.
Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost. ~Attr O'Shovah

Peace is a lie. There is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The force shall set me free. ~code of the sith

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
I'm not terribly happy that we get to waste an episode on possibly the least interesting character in the entire show, but with the next D-mail to undo being Moeka's, this will probably be going in a more serious direction from now until the home stretch.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »
18:

Pretty tame compared to the others, probably because Ruka is the least interesting character in the show imo.

Undoing Moeka's D-mail... Hoo boy, I have a feeling that it's going to take more than a date to do that.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
19:

No one's going to talk about this freaking amazing episode? Even though I know what was going to happen, I still loved this episode. Moeka's VA did a freaking amazing job this time. It was even better than the visual novel. The emotions of utter despair and anger really took me in.

Also, Okabe pulling a Touma.

Offline Aeroblip

• Podcaster
    • Aeroblip's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with aeroblip16 using Skype
    • @Aeroblip
    • Behind the Nihon Review

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
Hello World. Long time reader, first time posting.

This episode was definitely much better than the previous one. I'm impressed with the show's ability to consistently draw me to the edge of my seat. The second half of the episode definitely has some of the most memorable (and emotionally moving) scenes of the entire series. So far, this show is definitely a candidate for best shows of the year.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 12:49:47 AM »
19:

I'm pleasantly surprised that this episode had exceeded my predictions by the length of a street.

Agreeing with ImperialX92 here, I think Saori Gotou did a fantastic job in voicing Moeka; I was completely enthralled by the sheer emotions of terror and despair filled within that voice.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:56:01 AM by HirakuNoShadow »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »
I'm taking over this Forum.

Episode 14:

At first I was really worried that they'd go down the path of "no matter what you do Mayushi dies", but it didn't, and I'm glad for it. I thought it was a very good episode too, the relationship between Kurisu and Okabe progressed really well in the short time before he time leaped again, I feel kind of dissappointed that the 'progress' was completely overwritten. The plot's developing nicely too, though I had a slight problem with the whole alpha and beta world line explanations. It's saying that unless something really drastic happens, Mayushi dies, but I'm sure that there must have been a way that Mayushi could have survived, unless it was actually fate that was murdering her. I am also slightly baffled as to why OKabe didn't go further back into the future. Ah well, it was a good episode, and I won't make to much of it's flaws.

Episode 15:

I like it that they still can have some humour in this without taking away from the drama, little bits like Okabe grandly (as always) announcing his identity, only to have them (Kurisu and Suzuha) both go "we know". The plots going well, though again, I wonder a lot why Okabe didn't think about going further back in time before, it seems kind of obvious to me. Anyway, whether or not this is still a mystery 5 weeks on, but I have a suspicion as to the identity of Suzuha's father. Mayushi is so funny and sweet, it makes the fate that everyone's trying to avoid that much more poignant.

Episode 16:

Wow. Steins;Gate just gets better and better. So no, it's not a mystery, it's Daru, and that part of the episode was so touching and sweet, which made the bit after all the more terrible. It's incredibly sad, and I would have hoped that Okarin may have tried to save her, but with Mayushi safe (apparently) I don't think he'll risk her life again. The plot's always been good with this show, but now it's been having some compelling and emotional scenes too. This show is really excelling, it's a real treat as the first anime to catch up on now that I'm back.

Episode 17:

Mayushi saved? Lol, yeh right. So they reverted Akibara back to it's moe state. I'm surprised that Feris accepted to be honest, it must have been an agonizing decision, and it showed in the raw emotion of it all. I don't quite know how the world's changed, but surely it's getting further and further away from the 1% divergence number that is apparently required to save Mayushi. The divergence number doesn't really make sense to me anyway, how do you measure it so convieniently? How much would going back in time and removing Jesus from existence have changed the Divergence number? Does it change for different parts of the world? Removing christianity from American and EUropean history would have had an absolutely astonishing affect, but in asia it wouldn't that much different (in comparison), since there wasn't any christianity there to start with, though Neon Genesis Evangelion would have never come about.

Episode 18:

What's with the utter hilarity of this episode? Mayushi has still got the mark of death on her (so to speak), and we have this episode which had me laughing like crazy the whole time, the awkwardness of the cafe I just couldn't handle. It seems to me though that they could have just sent a message to Ruko to make her/him careful when clearing out the storehouse, rather than changing his/her entire sex, making him/her a whole lot unhappier in the process. Anyway, let's see how the last message goes.

Episode 19:

I have to commend Steins;Gate on just how excellent the story is. The mystery is brilliant, I loved how she wouldn't obey any orders, even from herself, unless it was FB. It's great. I feel so happy.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 11:26:36 PM »
20:

As expected. Steins;Gate isn't getting a season 2 so they have to squeeze as much as they can into it. There was no possibly to way to fit everything in from the VN's true end into the next few episodes, so they understandably cut out a lot of stuff. Some stuff they cut out are scenes that I consider very important, so below is a synopsis of what SHOULD have happened in this episode if they cut nothing out. The parts in bold only happened in the VN and not in the anime.

Spoiler for Visual Novel Spoilers:
After confirming with Daru that the locker Moeka mentioned was in use, Okarin returns the phone to Moeka and invites her along to for a chance to find out who FB really is. She hesitates and doesn’t follow.

The next day, Okarin goes alone to the locker and he spends the whole day keeping watch but no one arrives to open the locker. Okarin decides to try and break the locker open. The police is alerted and he time leaps back. The next day, Moeka joins him bringing some food with her and the next day someone finally appears. He didn’t seem to be FB. They follow him onto the train but lose track of the man he passes the case to. After another time leap they finally manage to get back on track. Surprisingly, Braun from the old TV shop was arrives to give them a lift. Okarin time leaps again and goes to rent a car ready to trail Braun and the Rounders. Moeka was a “paper driver” which meant she hasn’t driven for a very long time but she manages to somehow… They end up arriving at Suzuha’s home where the IBN5100 is moved inside.

They watch the house waiting for any more movement. There was none. Night soon descended and the men who attacked the lab arrives. They take the IBN5100 and learn they were heading to France with it where SERN’s HQ was. Okarin calls Kurisu to tell her to keep watch from outside. She was to call for help if neither he or Moeka comes back out. They enter the house and Braun greets them. He collects the Divergence Meter yet again but sits down. The displayed value had increased which confirms undoing the D-Mails was working.

Moeka stays silent until Okarin reveals they knew he was working for SERN. Braun takes out a gun, his smile faded. He admits to be “FB” and was only using Moeka to find the IBN5100. She was no use any more. Okarin was angry. Angry that the very person that Suzuha had gone back in time and ended up looking after was the person to steal the IBN5100 she retrieved. As if in answer, Braun smiled and pointed the gun to himself. He’s sorry for Suzuha and pulls the trigger. After picking up “FB” Braun’s phone, Okarin tried looking for Nae but was glad she wasn’t there to witness the whole event.

Together they leave the scene quickly back to Moeka’s apartment, ready to send the D-Mail they need. However, just as Kurisu mentions she saw a little girl running out the back of the house after the gunshot, Braun’s little daughter Nae appears in the room and greets them hello. She suddenly takes out a gun and shoots Moeka, laughing eerily. She tells Okarin to wait in fear because he will be next in the future and runs out the apartment. Both Kurisu and Okarin were shocked. That did not sound like a little girl talking.

With the D-Mail on standby, Moeka apologises for what she’s done and passes out. Kurisu remains calm, urging Okarin to send the D-Mail but he doesn’t. He wanted to know the truth and who Nae really was. He time leaps back to before they arrive at Suzuha’s house and waits outside together with Kurisu while Moeka goes in alone this time. He instructs Kurisu to go in and pick up FB’s phone after hearing a gunshot while he goes after Nae.

Unprepared, little Nae brandishes a knife and lunges at Okarin’s shoulder. She reveals she was Brauns daughter who had time leaped over 2700 times to return 15 years from the future for revenge. But she couldn’t kill Okarin yet because otherwise she would never be able to travel back in time to kill Moeka like she just did. Either way, she joins Rounders and is the one that ends up capturing Okarin in the future, torturing him about his resistance group and letting him die a slow death. With that she runs off just as Kurisu catches up.
Okarin takes the phone from Kurisu and sends the D-Mail.

After the timeline shift, Okarin finds himself standing in the streets and immediately heads to Moeka’s apartment to see if the D-Mail worked. She confirms she was no longer looking for the IBN5100. As he made his way back to the lab, he grimaced remembering what happened in the other timeline – Nae bent on revenge and Braun committing suicide to stop Moeka working for the Rounders.

Finally the IBN5100 was back in the Mirai Gadgets Lab. Okarin cries out happily, ready to have Daru erase traces of their D-Mail from SERN’s surveillance logs and shift the timeline for good so that Mayuri is finally saved. Unfortunately, Daru was away at the ComiMa so Okarin time leaps to the moment Daru is still around.

Daru sets up all the commands ready and gives Okarin the privilege to hit the enter key. However, just as he was about to execute the commands, he realizes he had forgotten something important… If he stops himself sending that D-Mail about Kurisu’ death, they will end up in a timeline where she will be murdered.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 08:13:15 AM »
20:

This series is incredible. After reading what should have happened from ImperialX, I feel that they did a good job cutting, it's strange that they did cut so much, yet it still makes sense and seems to be following the plot well enough, apart from the whole Nae thing, but that isn't really important.

What's important is that Okabe is faced with a dreadful choice, a future where Kurisu dies, or a future where Mayushi dies. Truly, I'm still slightly upset about the fact that they can't seem to save Mayushi without something drastic happening, it doesn't make sense in my mind, but it's what the plot says, and I can't change it, so I may as well move on and see how Okabe deals with this.

I feel that the direction this is heading in is going to be unpleasant though, I'm not sure if I'll like what happens.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »
I feel that the direction this is heading in is going to be unpleasant though, I'm not sure if I'll like what happens.

The VN actually has two ends from here. 5pb and Nitro+ have emphasized that Kurisu's End is the True End. Note that I have included big spoilers, but if you don't want to be spoiled just briefly hover over the spoilers and see how long the True End is.

Spoiler for Mayuri End:
Okarin decides to sacrifice Kurisu and send the D-Mail. It was a difficult and tearful decision but he does it. Kurisu understands and accepts her fate. Okarin tells Mayuri about it, and Mayuri doesn't want Kurisu to be sacrificed. Kurisu comforted her and told Okarin to send the D-Mail. Okarin tears up but presses the button after making a mad scientist speech. After the D-Mail is sent everything is reverted back to what it was in episode 1 with no one having any memories of Kurisu except Okarin. Okabe gets into a relationship with Mayuri, and the story ends.

Spoiler for Kurisu End (TRUE END):
Okarin cannot choose between Mayuri and Kurisu. As he struggles, he realizes that he is in love with Kurisu and cannot sacrifice her. He confesses his love and she accepts him. They have two long, emotional kisses (normally there would be an H-Scene in a situation like this, but unfortunately Steins;Gate is not an eroge) Even so, Kurisu has already made up her mind about accepting her fate and saving Mayuri. As Okabe sends the D-Mail, they shout they will never forget each other. After the Leading Steiner trigger takes effect, there is no sign of Kurisu. Mayuri was still alive after the fated hour, so Okabe knew she was safe. As he thinks about Kurisu, Okarin agrees and finally concludes humankind can not rely on time machines. It was beyond their control and things were best as they are.

However, a few weeks later, Daru receives a call from a “mysterious woman” in the lab. He passes it onto Okarin and finds it was Suzuha from the future.

Confused, Okarin goes to the Rajio building that was still sealed off due to an unsolved murder investigation. On the roof he finds Suzuha who seemed older – probably in her 40s and the satellite-shaped time machine hadn’t crashed this time. She claims the Third World War takes place in the future where she comes from. Okarin grabs her, wondering if Kurisu’ death and everything he has been through was for nothing. Suzuha calms him down to say that to change this new bleak future, they have to save Kurisu. They must reach the “Steins Gate” timeline.

This time they were they going to use Suzuha’s completed time machine to travel back in the time to the day of the lecture. Unlike the previous timeline, this new model allows them to travel back and forward in time. Suzuha breaks the emergency exit open with her gun. Okarin runs down and hides himself near where Kurisu is found murdered. Moments later Kurisu appears happily holding a manila envelope. She appeared to be waiting for someone. Dr. Nakabachi appears and it turns out he was her father. Kurisu really wanted to help restore her father’s reputation about time travel but he thought she wanted to steal his glory. He takes out a knife, saying it was her fault he was made a fool. He’s going to take credit for her work instead.

Okarin leaps out trying to stop him and manages to take the knife away. Nakabachi stares in horror as the angered Okarin gets ready to strike, doing whatever it takes to save Kurisu. A splash of blood covers his lab coat but it wasn’t Nakabachi’s… the blood came from Kurisu. She had dived in to protect her father. Kurisu didn’t know who he was but apologises that he had to get caught up in this mess. Her voice started to trail away quietly, barely uttering that she didn’t want to die and wanted help. Suzuha rushes to help the shocked Okarin back to the time machine, now knowing that the cry he heard in the building was his own.

Okarin was ready to give up trying to save Kurisu believing that the conservation of time meant he couldn’t do it just like when he tried to save Mayuri but, Mayuri slaps him and tries to encourage him to try again. Just then, his phone rings and he receives an anonymous e-mail telling him to watch TV. Okarin recognised the date… It was from the future and that means it must be a D-Mail! They turn on the TV channel on his phone and find the cargo hold in the plane that Nakabachi was on, had caught fire while he was being exiled to Russia. The time travel documents he stole would have been burned too but, thanks to the rare metal “Uber” being detected during the security scans, he ended up carrying the documents with him. Somehow, Nakabachi had picked it up when Mayuri lost it. As a result, the Third World War breaks out between the countries in a race to obtain time travel.

Okarin opens the video and sees a silhouette of himself. He hears his own voice. It turns out he had to let Kurisu be killed once or he would never have had the will to upgrade the D-Mail system so that he can send a recording back in time too. The Future Okarin explains he’s suffered the guilt for 15 years and has concluded that time travel will not save Kurisu. What they had to do was to stop the time machine from ever being invented and feign Kurisu’ death to fool the world and himself. Otherwise he would never be able to send a message long enough to himself. Kurisu will also be saved because her father will think she died in Japan. The metal Uber must also be replaced so that the documents end up being left in the cargo hold and burned. Okarin remembers one of his gadgets can create fake looking blood and gets Mayuri to go fetch it. It was the last trip before the time machine runs out of fuel. He had to save Kurisu this time.

After arriving back in the past, Okarin hurries down so that he is the first to use the Gatchapon machines and retrieves the only limited edition Metal Uber inside. Just in case, Future Okarin hides to confirm Mayuri only gets a plastic one. An announcement that the time travel presentation was about to start. Mayuri rushes off and drops the Uber. Okarin waits and finds Kurisu picking it up. She looks around to see who could have dropped it but since there was no one around, she ends up putting it inside the envelope with the time travel theory documents.

Okarin makes his way to the same spot where Kurisu meets her father and was going to use the gadget to create fake blood to scare them but, it was clogged up. He had to think of another plan. Okarin intervenes at the same time again but this time with his confident Hyouma “mad scientist” ego back again. He provokes Nakabachi to stab him and succeeds. Okarin is stabbed and he takes the knife. He then takes out a stun gun, threatening that he will kill both Kurisu and Nakabachi. Kurisu tries to help Okarin but ends up being stunned and passes out onto the floor. Scared, Nakabachi flees the scene. Suzuha arrives just in time as Okarin opens up his wound to create a pool of blood on the floor. He was betting on the conservation of time events mean he won’t die. After letting Suzuha move Kurisu onto the pool of blood, they slowly make their way back to the time machine. Ready to travel back to the future, Okarin closes his eyes just as Suzuha says farewell, hoping it really is the “Steins Gate” timeline that awaited them.

A month later, as Okarin took a walk through the streets of Akiba after coming out of the hospital, he randomly meets Kurisu. She had been looking for him, wanting to thank him for saving her that day even though they had never met. For old times sake, Okarin takes out his phone pretending to be talking to the secret organisation he was working for and then wlecomes back “Christina”. However, something was triggered in her memory, and she remembers her days as a lab member from the alternative timeline. Okarin takes out the last unclaimed pin badge and welcomes Kurisu back in a tearful reunion. Everything was according to “Steins Gate”.

So here is my biggest worry with this series. Basically, as you can see, Mayuri's ending is quite short but still sweet. Kurisu's End (the true end) is amazing but it goddamn, is it long. Given that we only have 4 episodes left, this will be incredibly difficult to fit in. I remember quite clearly that it took about 4 hours to clear Kurisu's End starting from when Okarin sends the D-Mail. I even had the voices off, and trust me, I read a lot faster than they talk. If I left the voice on it would have taken even longer. Now I cannot even begin to imagine how the anime is going to fit this story that takes me 4 hours to read into 80 minutes, complete with voice acting.

If they can seriously do the true end and still not cut out enough to make the story bad, I will be extremely impressed. If they don't make the true end, well, my point that a VN can never be adapted into an anime that can match the source has been proven yet again.

I'm just being angry because Steins;Gate is the BEST VN adaptation I have ever seen. If they made this 52 episodes it would have been perfect. /cryface

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
20: Oh shit. Is it just me who went "OHHHHHHHH...." when you suddenly remembered the events at the very beginning of the series?

Away, ImperialX, with your VN spoilers! :P I'll only read those when the entire series is finished; I'm sure you understand. :) I agree with your 52-episode lamentation, if only because it would allow more of this to be aired. Alas not.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
21:

The tragedy that's unfolding is wretched, I feel so dreadful watching everything slowly reveal itself. Mayushi's talk to her grandmother had me verging on tears, her voice was done terrifically there. I can see what's coming, and I don't like it one bit. I'm fine with bad endings occasionally, but not when the cast is likable and has grown on me so much, I'd so very much like it for everyone to live and be happy, but the more this continues, the more I think that it won't.

The fact I dislike the tragic situation in which I think this show may be headed makes me feel more angry towards how the plot got where it currently is. I still don't get why Mayushi has the mark of death on her, as I've said before - it should be perfectly reasonable to find a situation where Mayushi can live without a drastic change in history, fate isn't something that goes chasing people down and killing them like in the Final Destination series. Go to the train station, give Mayushi a lot of food, and tell her to sit in the toilets until the next day, and not to come out or approach the tracks. Sure, explaining this to her would be a task, but if you could, why wouldn't that work? I couldn't think of anyway she cold die in that situation apart from in an incredibly contrived way (like tripping into a sink full of water and drowning in it while unconscious) unless they came and killed her. In fact, is it me, or do they seems simply intent on killing Mayushi nowadays, completely ignoring Okarin and the rest, which are the people they should be focusing on? Look at the van scene, they run her over, and just f*** off without Okarin, despite that fact he should be their target. Are they just being dicks?

I wouldn't be so pedantic about this if I didn't like where it brought us, I don't like dead Mayushi's - they make me sad, and apparently her too  :'(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:13:19 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
21:

3 episodes left. This is not good...my "anime will butcher the VN's true end" senses are tingling.

Seriously, I didn't like this episode. They do not have time for this! There is a mountain of material to cover.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 08:00:19 AM »
22:

I loved parts of this episode, but the way it ended up made me bitter towards it. I don't want Kurisu dead, not after that incredibly dramatic confession and all that followed. As for his confession, it didn't come out the blue, but it did come as a bit of a surprise for him to say it, though I suppose I shouldn't given the extremity of the circumstances. Seriously though, how can you kill someone you've just confessed your love to, with all your heart? I know saving Mayushi is important, but HOW??? It's just so cruel :'(

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
22:

Excellent episode; faultless. (From a non-VN POV, of course)

...apart from the VERY ending, that is (past the ED). Whilst I was watching the episode (and the ensuing ED) I actually thought a curveball had been thrown and it was the very end of the series. I'm not sure what to make of the new direction.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Up