Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 06:04:46 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steins;Gate  (Read 35398 times)

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

Steins;Gate
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
1:

Firstly, let us forget the disaster that was the ChaoS;HEAd anime. It was one of the worst anime I've ever seen, and I'm incredibly saddened because ChaoS;HEAd is one of the best Visual Novels ever made, high up there with Fate/stay night and Ever17. However, Steins;Gate still has hope, having changed studios to the one responsible for Katanagatari, which needless to say, was excellent. Also, being 26 episodes long, there is far more time to cover the story. ChaoS;HEAd VN's story couldn't have been contained in 26 episodes, let alone the 13 it received so it was destined to be bad. Steins;Gate has hope.

Let us get back to this episode at hand. Having already played the Steins;Gate visual novel, I have to say, I like most what I'm seeing a lot more than ChaoS;HEAd's adaptation. The way they executed it was certainly nowhere near as good as the VN, but then again, there are restrictions in the anime medium. I don't think there could have been a better attempt. What I do have to say is that it's a bit rushed. Then again, if they slowed it down any more than this, they would struggle to fit the plot of Steins;Gate into 26 episodes. It really deserves more but I guess that's what we get.

Hmm...I don't think many people have played the VN, so I guess to you guys, the ending is a cliffhanger? I would like to hear what you guys think about what's happening so far. Is it too fast? Confusing?

If they can do this adaptation to the epicness of the VN, then I assure you this will be one of the best shows this season, just like ChaoS;HEAd could have been.

Offline hoarfrost

Re: Steins;Gate
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
I like to think of having 2 cours as a buffer to becoming another Chaos Head, but this breakneck first episode is not reassuring in the least. Just 10 minutes after watching and I hardly recall the main bits of the episode other than that a message he sent on his phone traveled through time, past or present I've no clue, and somehow prevented that girl's death. And a microwave is involved. If seeing her alive was supposed to be a wham moment, it seems to have lost its impact given the jarring pacing and direction and the seeming obviousness of why she is alive.

Oh well, it's probably too early in the morning for this kind of thing anyway.

By the way, the original Chaos Head did nothing for me. Perhaps it's due to having seen the anime first, but I found it drawn out and pretentious. It's the only serious visual novel that I've ever completely given up on finishing, which, given the dearth of those, is no meaningless statement. Though I didn't dislike the delusion system, though it was at times meaningless, but I digress.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:23:23 AM by hoarfrost »

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:42 AM »
Erm....so we have a crazy guy in a scientist coat who spouts all sorts of nonsense, a moe-moe girl who seems to just be along for the ride, and an expy of Pantsu from Eden of the East, who hang around and do exactly...nothing. And after goodness knows how many minutes straight of incoherence, mad scientist guy finds out his SMS was sent back into the past, or some such other stuff?

Wait, what? What did I just watch here?  ???

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »
What the hell? That was way too confusing, and it was kinda boring too. I'll give it more time to prove itself, but it was a dull episode, the highlight being when the fat guy tries to make the girl say "Your banana is all floppy".

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
I haven't watched the first episode (yet), but do I need to have watched Chaos Head before watching this one?

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
No, and in fact I'd recommend that you never watch it for any purpose.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »
Ep 1

One of the things that may work against this series in a big way is that the main character is an unreliable narrator (which was also true in Chaos;Head).  His perceptions of events are clearly dubious, which potentially limits the amount of impact any future plot twist or revelation may have.  Also, his female accompaniment is doey.  Her very presence among a self-proclaimed mad scientist who's clearly not all there and an overweight computer nerd otaku creates this weird sexual tension that just doesn't feel right.  The fact that she calls herself a "hostage" just ramps the creepy factor right up.  Don't take this as a criticism, more an observation.  There could very well be an important point to her presence in the whole thing.

But yeah, Okarin is one inconsistent individual.  One minute, he's brilliantly shooting down the fake claims of a respected academic, the next he's making paranoid calls into a phone that's not even turned on.  Some of the ideas in this are interesting.  The satellite that would have killed him had he attended the lecture is reminiscent of Donnie Darko (one of my all time favourite movies) while the discussion with the other side of the monitor is a clever little breaking of the fourth wall.  The question of which side of the monitor is reality isn't entirely without merit, either.  There is, actually (to my understanding) a fairly robust physical theory that states there is no way for us to determine if our universe isn't just some computational simulation.

The director was the dude in charge of the Shigurui anime, which, in my opinion, was brilliant.  The directing style is interesting, and the colour scheme was really dark.  The problem with that is that the fansubbers used a low quality stream (they didn't exactly have a choice, though), which made everything rather difficult to see.  Hopefully it'll be a non-issue in future episodes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:35:07 AM »
1:

I'm lost... again. Well, in a different way compared to Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai.

But on with the good stuff first: I like the pensive and neurotic feel of the show. I can understand that mystery is the name of the game, so building a good atmosphere would be step number one. Plus, not sure if anyone noticed it, but I kinda like the soft static noise that was playing in the background throughout the episode. It kinda make the show a little creepier.

The bad stuff? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON. Seriously, I don't. Okarin is pretty much a nutcase who is quite inconsistent with his narrative style. He claims to be a "mad scientist", but right now I can only agree with the adjective in his self-proclaimed title. More like eccentric, when he wanted the banana to be microwaved. Well, he was sharp when he called the professor's plagiarist work but that doesn't necessarily make him brilliant (he did talk to himself on the phone). Plus, his claims of the Organization working in the background makes him sound like a delusional man: Just what is the Organization all about, anyway?

One thing I know is, the show is all about time traveling. I'll give more time for this show to prove to me that it's worth staying on.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
2:

I haven't watched an anime yet that has caused me to get so lost. Not so much the story, I'm getting to grips with that, but I can't fathom the main character. I've come to the conclusion that he is being serious about "The Organization" that he believes is following him, but he talks about exorcism and the "new super technique" that the '3D girl with a 2D heart' learnt with the same voice and mannerisms, when he obviously doesn't believe in them then. Were'd he even get paranoid about being targeted in the first place, or is he actually taking the piss?

On to the story, it's developing slowly. There wasn't any building up of the mystery for most the episode until the very end where we had 'The Teleported Gel Banana', which cause me to laugh for quite a while. The tension was building up throughout the episode (possibly) and then the climax: "Where the **** did that banana go?"

Two highlights of this episode were Rintarō Okabe thinking to himself about the trap "...but he's a guy", and Kurisu Makise taking the piss out of Rintarō and putting extra emphasis on 'Hōōin'. Made me smile.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »
Ep 2

Teleporting bananas?  Maybe these were the types of experiments they did in Academy City before they figured out how to make teleporting people.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:47 AM »
2:

DROPPED.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not dropping this show because it's horrible. It's because I have way too many shows to follow for this season, and something about this doesn't click with me. In other words, I don't feel compelled to follow this series. Maybe it's the drab content, maybe it's the characters that I don't think I can relate with anytime soon, maybe it's the weird storyline. I'll pick this show up again when I have the time.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
3:

This would be a lot better if the protagonist was less crazy, he annoys me as I feel he's holding back the plot because he doesn't make much sense and he drags the people around him into his erratic flow. Anyway the plot has started moving more, which is good as it's about time, and I am starting to like the characters more.

Did the subbers misspell CERN as SERN, or is it called SERN in the anime? I found it unbelievable that anyone who was a scientist, even a crazy one like the protagonist would not know what CERN was. It's one of the most famous science projects ever. It's well known in this country even to the general populace (though that's down to the whole "The LHC is going to create a MASSIVE BLACK HOLE THAT WILL DESTROY THE EARTH when it's switched on next Wednesday - AARRRRGGGHHHHH" headline that was common in the tabloids). I suspect it's so they could explain it to the audience who wouldn't necessarily know, but making Rintarō the one that needed explaining to was bad, they should have made it the girl.

Anyway, it's improving (slowly).

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
@Fumoffu - Don't quote me on this, but 'apparently' it was changed from CERN to SERN in the VN. Unfortunately, I don't remember the source, so I can't really elaborate much about it either.

I'm not sure whether I'm blessed or cursed to have never heard of Chaos;Head prior to this series (although judging from the reactions, it's the former). Nevertheless, I really enjoy the dark atmosphere of the series, and I'm somewhat relieved that the plot has finally picked up some of its pacing by the third episode. While the anime hasn't done anything disastrous so far, what seems to be screenshots from the VN in various imageboards make me worry that this may turn out to be a disappointment. While most characters aren't bad/terrible, Feiris has been pissing the hell out of me in the second episode.

Either way, I'll most likely stay on the ride, as long as it doesn't crap on itself.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:53:10 AM by HirakuNoShadow »

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Having just watched ep 2 and 3 to catch up, I'm liking the mixture of comedic and serious aspects very much indeed and I find myself eagerly anticipating the release of the next episode so more information can be released. Unlike Fumoffu, I actually like the insane aspect of his character, I think it acts as a good foil for the other main characters to bounce off of. Mayushii is endearing herself well to me as well. :)

Offline Horsechoker

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 05:33:50 AM »
After watching 4 eps, i decided to put this on hold.  Neither the plot nor the characters are interesting and its like im forcing myself to watch it for a payoff that might not come. Ill wait until this finishes airing and see if its worth watching then.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
I'm liking what I'm watching so far, it's among my favourite of the season so far.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
Indeed.  This is one of the season's pleasant surprises.

Edit:

Ep 5

Aside from the conspiracy mystery which is interesting provided you put everything you know about physics to one side, the characters are actually interesting.  They have personalities which work really well.  I find both Kurisu and Daru particularly likable.  Kurisu doesn't want to admit that she actually has a lot of similarities with Okabe, while Daru just says what we're all thinking.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »
5:

I always tend to put the reality of the matter to one side, and let the overriding story speak for itself. They've provided -an- explanation at least for the jelly-like state the bananas were in. :P I'm liking the gradual releasing of information as well, both about the conspiracy theory and the background of the characters themselves.(Although the revelation that CSERN had used human subjects which died in the pursuit of time travel wasn't surprising - I wonder why Okabe HOOOOUUUUHIN reacted so strongly compared to Daru and Kurisu).

I find myself sympathising with Mayuri; considering her reverence towards Kurisu as being another (older) female member of the team, it seems likely that the gravestone we saw in the flashback was maybe her mother (unless we've been told this explicitly somewhere, I don't remember this though) - Mayuri perhaps sees Kurisu as a person who could act as such a figure. (Although maybe I'm reading too much into it) It could also provide an explanation as to why she's acting as a hostage for Hououin...I certainly hope for more of this information to be released. Also...who is the part-timer in all of this? (I forget her name) She's very interested in what Hououin is doing, yet seems hostile towards Kurisu....but this will obviously be revealed in later episodes.

More superficially, the OP is my favourite of the season and among my favourite all-time. But that's beside the point.

I find myself liking this anime more and more after each episode, if only other anime this season followed this particular trend. *cough*Iroha*cough*

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
6:

I appreciated the show before, but I was fairly indifferent to it. Now I am actually enjoying this. I think this is the best episode to come out thus far, or at the very least the episode I enjoyed the most. For one we actually see the protagonist actually think about other people, rather than being completely absorbed in himself, his fantasies and his project. It may sound harsh to say he's so self absorbed, but he really is, it doesn't come off too badly, but this is the first time he's actually thought about the consequences of knowing about the human experiments.

The fact Okabe actually got it right with the "Phone Microwave - (Name Subject to Change)" was actually quite funny, and I found Kurisu's 'just one more experiment' attitude relatable, if you're given a super microwave that sends messages back in time, you're going to want to play with it even if someone tells you to stop.

More superficially, the OP is my favourite of the season and among my favourite all-time. But that's beside the point.

I wouldn't say that's beside the point, a good opening can really add to the enjoyment of an anime, this one is good since it suits the anime so well.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »
I wouldn't say that's beside the point, a good opening can really add to the enjoyment of an anime, this one is good since it suits the anime so well.
I can agree with this, since there are quite a few animes that I got into because of the OP / ED (Cross Game, Tatami Galaxy, SZS etc.)

On Topic: Will proceed watching 6 as soon as my download is done >_>

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
Ep 6

"We didn't 'develop' it anyway. It was all a coincidence."

No one who understands science would ever say that.  Many of the great scientific discoveries were made completely by accident.  Also, I don't care who it is, inventing a time machine when you barely have enough money to afford bananas is an impressive feat.  I did enjoy that conversation where they were trying to come up with a name for D-mail.  It's just so typical.  I laughed at both Daru and Mayuri's excessive reference dropping.

Oh God, HHHNNNGGGHHH! Everything Mayuri does is HHHNNNGGGHHH.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
I did enjoy that conversation where they were trying to come up with a name for D-mail.  It's just so typical.  I laughed at both Daru and Mayuri's excessive reference dropping.
I lol'd hard when Daru suggested, 'The Mail that Leapt through Time'.

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
Oh God, HHHNNNGGGHHH! Everything Mayuri does is HHHNNNGGGHHH.

You do realise I'm going to make a reference to your HHHHNNGGGHHing in a Mid-Season yet again, right Sorrow?  :D

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »
6:

Well, quite a few things happened, and one or two important details were revealed. Okabe is revealed to be able to keep his memories when the time-line changes, and the part time worker has now been confirmed to be of greater significance than simply someone suspicious. The last line made me laugh for some reason:

"I want you to become the Messiah".

It just seems so strange, especially when applied to Okabe. I liked this episode, I hope it can keep this up.

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 11:13:48 PM »
6:

Good that things have finally gotten moving in earnest. This episode built a decent atmosphere, I was glued to it the whole way through. Okabe's moments of hesitance are a nice(and realistic) break from his usual goofiness.

Offline Horsechoker

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
Man i wish i had more self control and didnt watch things i consider stupid...

the part time worker has now been confirmed to be of greater significance than simply someone suspicious.

Betting she's from the future, the last two episodes were full of these hints.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
8:

Well, all I can say is that Okabe is foolish. If there were areas in the past that I would try to avoid changing, the time of people's births would be right up there at the top. It's the most foolish thing ever. He wants it to be so that he was a she, but think about if he didn't become a she, but instead got erased from existence. I don't know how the mother receiving a text saying "Eat veggies for healthy children" could have led to the babies death or whatever, but the chance of the text resulting in him being erased from existence is much higher than it changing his sex (since gender is decided at the conception, not before or after).

I thought the scene's with the girl/boy were amusing, due to how much of a massive trap he is, knowing that he is actually male didn't help Okabe either, and Daru seemed strangely happy about him being male, maybe it's because it's a real life anime trope to him. I can understand Kurisu's caution when it comes to the experiments, I'd only change things that I knew wouldn't have a big effect, then again, it's hard to tell, who would have thought not changing her cell phone would have caused the silent one to stop coming (though I have doubts as to whether she actually sent what she said she would).

I have no clue as to where the plot will go from here. In fact, I've never had any clue as to where this show was heading, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 03:34:05 AM »
Ep 8

Oh man, I want to know what they changed.

As anyone who's done high school biology would know, you can't change the gender of a baby during pregnancy.  So I don't know what Okabe and co were trying to achieve.  Still, another really good episode.  I love the bits where Okabe jumps timelines.  There's something of an "adventure-y" feel to those moments, like he's jumping through a portal without actually moving.  This is good stuff.  It's fast becoming one of my favourites this season.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
Ep 8

Oh man, I want to know what they changed.
Same here, this show just keeps making you want to watch the next episode. :P

As anyone who's done high school biology would know, you can't change the gender of a baby during pregnancy.  So I don't know what Okabe and co were trying to achieve.

I don't think Okabe/Kurisu/Daru seriously expected anything to happen, it was merely to placate Ruko's concerns. The fact that it did, how much of a change we don't know (although Kurisu's actions towards Okabe's seem harsher than before), is the butterfly effect in action.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 07:02:43 AM »
9:

I'm completely engrossed in this. As they were preparing the text for the Cat Girl, they were really building the tension. The fact that the results of it were so huge... Okabe should consider himself lucky that the people he knows still know him, we don't know whether Kurisu will still know him, but he messed up bad. He should never have yielded to those three, it was important that he should have read the text, and he got persuaded by Daru (who I found irritating this episode to be honest) and Mayuri, one of which was arguing because he was horny for the cat girl, and one who knew nothing of what might happen.

I'd be scared if I was Okabe right now.

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:02 AM »
9:

Well, holy shit. Shit just got real; Akiba reverted to its pre-otaku days of simply being the local electronics hub. I wonder just what Feyris did there.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 03:12:19 AM »
Ep 9

This is great stuff, isn't it.  Utterly fascinating anime on a number of levels.

It's ironic how quickly this went from just experimenting and fooling around to changing major things and playing with people's lives.  I'm reasonably sure Feyris told herself not to introduce the idea of bringing moe to Akiba to her father.  I'm guessing somewhere along the line, Akiba's success as an otaku Mecca caused her father to become estranged from the rest of their family, which explains why Feyris wanted to change time.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 03:51:45 AM »
9:

This is quickly escalating into one of my favourite shows this season by each episode. The main plot is starting to kick in, and the show knows exactly when to stop being comedic and start being serious. I particularly enjoyed the scene involving Okabe calling Makise on the phone.

I'm guessing somewhere along the line, Akiba's success as an otaku Mecca caused her father to become estranged from the rest of their family, which explains why Feyris wanted to change time.
My gut feeling tells me that rather than being estranged from the family, her father may have been dead before the event took place for few reasons:
Spoiler for Hiden:
1. Feyris owning the whole area of Akiba
2. Her father shown AFTER the mail was sent
3. How Akiba suddenly changed from an otaku Mecca into an electronics-oriented area

I'm really interested in how things are going to turn out, especially since Okabe has no knowledge of where the IBN5100 is now.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
9:

I love this show. Okabe must be shit scared right now....who wouldn't? Every time he sends a D-Mail to try and get closer to the IBN5100, it just keeps going further and further away whilst simultaneously having massive impacts upon life as he knows it. As Fumoffu!! said, he's lucky that he's got at least 3 (we don't know about Kurisu etc) that still know him/no-one new who knows him.

I really have no idea how this show will go forward from here, but goddamn I can't wait for the next episode.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
10 + 11:

Damn those texts that Okabe received were CREEPY. Especially the last one....Okabe really is becoming more paranoid as a result of the texts sent. (Not that I'm saying he's wrong to do so)

Aside from the overarching plot (which, in a sentence, is really starting to heat up now....although I wouldn't be surprised if it got even more so, tbh), I really like how the relationship between Okabe and Kurisu is developing. It's a tendency of more mediocre anime for the relationship to develop too quickly to be realistic, but aside from the kind-of-contrived black-out moment between the two of them I think it's a naturally strengthening relationship between the two. I particularly liked the scene where Okabe said he'd help mend Kurisu's relationship with her father. (Although, having said this, I also see how it appears to be a more one-sided growth on Kurisu's side then Okabe's...)

((I really hope that Kurisu isn't a spy...I'd be sad. :( ))

Offline BloodMoney

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »

Well this is now officially my favorite anime of the season by a longshot. The picture Okabe received was incredibly unsettling and the scene where he was running back to the lab worried sick about Mayushi was fantastic. I've got a feeling the shit may hit the fan real soon.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 05:29:29 AM »
Ep 11

Wasn't that scene where Okabe was running back to the lab just so amazingly well executed.  It just oozed of fear and disorientation.

The thing is, the shit's been threatening to hit the fan for a couple of episodes now.  This episode added a couple more layers of complication, first with Suzuha putting doubt in Okabe's mind over Kurisu's alliances, then with the text message, disturbing image of a decapitated head included and then with the revelation that, somehow, without Daru knowing, their computer had been connected to SERN the entire time (for some reason I have the feeling that one or more of the D-mails may have caused this... how exactly, I have no idea).  They've also revealed the possibility for a mechanism to transport memories back in time.  Yes, you kinda have to ignore what you know about science to accept Kurisu's explanation, just as we did when a D-mail changed Ruka's gender, but that's all part of suspension of disbelief.  As long as they're consistent.  Nonetheless, these little plot turns probably mean that when the shit does hit the fan, it's going to extremely stinky and sloppy, and there's going to be a lot of it.

One thing I did have no problem accepting was Kurisu and her father drifting apart because she overtook him as a scientist.  Scientists can be just as egotistic as anyone, and can get very attached to their theories.  The ideal for the scientist is to be a rational listener to reason and evidence... but that's simply not always the case.  With that said, I tend to find when talking with other scientists that they're often the most shrill and stubborn when debating things that aren't in their direct sphere of expertise.  I guess it's just a knowledge thing... usually, the more you know about something, the less you think you know.  It's interesting that Kurisu's field is neuroscience, yet her playtime with Okabe is in the field of... hmm, now that I think about it, I'm not sure what field this is.  I guess it's whatever field that allows them to get from microwave physics to time travel...

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »
11:

So, although the Phone Microwave can transport 36 bytes at a time, Kurisutina thinks it may be possible to transport the contents of a person's memory through it, given some modifications and a prayer that the device can compress all that info into 36 bytes (by means of what? WinRAR?). In other words, it is theoretically capable of transporting any person's consciousness across world lines.

However, Okabe is capable of the same thing without the prerequisite modifications proposed by Kurisutina, and this is due to the "Reading Steiner" ability he supposedly got after a high fever in the past. Following from this, it probably means that Okabe's ROM and RAM has been naturally compressed into 36 bytes, and thus can cross world lines without any modifications to the Phone Microwave.

In other words, Okabe's "Reading Steiner" is simply due to the fact that he's a halfwit.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

;D

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »
11:

I don't get why he doesn't tell someone about the texts he's been receiving, I know that he'd been concerned about worrying them, or perhaps dragging them into something potentially dangerous, but I don't think it;s wise to hide it from them completely. That said, now that he's resolved not to tell them, I admire who he's managed to do it, despite the fact he could have used it to explain some of his actions.

I laughed at Mayuri's tired version of her trademark "tutturū" when she was carrying the cosplay, which went something like "tuuu tuuu..... *breath* rūūūūūūūū". I also laughed at her lecturing Okabe for walking in on them in the shower "It was very saddening and embarrassing". How cute.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:19:51 PM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 05:18:20 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7lUc7rbAeU

Courtesy of zzeroparticle.  I've had to book myself into surgery for a full nutbludder reconstruction.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 05:34:11 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7lUc7rbAeU

Courtesy of zzeroparticle.  I've had to book myself into surgery for a full nutbludder reconstruction.
I think I just had the biggest orgasm of my life.

Offline BloodMoney

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »

That was definitely one of the most shocking endings to an episode that I have seen in a while. The tension at the end was through the ****ing roof.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »
12:

Mentioned this on another thread, so I'll keep it brief - it was gripping.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 04:51:45 AM »
Ep 12

Oh God, ****!

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 05:46:20 AM »
@Sorrow-kun, I don't think I can watch anymore Mayuri videos with the same feeling anymore. ;_;

12:

Excellent episode. I daresay that the show has made some great use of foreshadowing for some serious shit in the past few episodes.

Some food for thought: I'm curious as to why Suzuha's hostility was only directed at Kurisu, when it was Moeka who was actually working for SERN. Could it be because of the effect of the changes in the timeline? I'm also curious about why Okabe had noticed the hourglass and Mayuri's watch had stopped working at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:04:38 AM by HirakuNoShadow »

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:46 PM »
I'm also curious about why Okabe had noticed the hourglass and Mayuri's watch had stopped working at the same time.

I'm tempted to post spoilers from the VN, but even inside spoiler tags I will feel too guilty for ruining a show that will soon become even more epic. ;_;

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
I'm also curious about why Okabe had noticed the hourglass and Mayuri's watch had stopped working at the same time.

I'm tempted to post spoilers from the VN, but even inside spoiler tags I will feel too guilty for ruining a show that will soon become even more epic. ;_;
At least I now know that it wasn't a red herring :P

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »
13:

And here I was thinking it would be quite easy to save Mayuri. Evidently not. The first attempt at saving her failed for reasons I'm fine with. The second time though it was contrived. I hope it's not going to be one of those plot lines where it's "impossible to change the fate of someone no matter how hard you try". It really should be simple, tell Mayuri to go and stay at Feris's place, or pay for Mayuri to go to a hotel. If you need to, go back into time earlier in order to sort it. If anything, I hope this more resembles Higurashi no naku koro ni kai, in that the continual efforts eventually pay off, because I'd hate to see Mayuri die permanently, and it also be annoying for the "fate cannot be escaped" trope to be enacted. It should be very possible for Mayuri to live.

If at the end of all Okabe's efforts Mayuri still winds up dead, I'll be very pissed.

Offline TheChocolatier

• Chocolate Addict
  • Chocolate in all its beauty and complexity.

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
As much as I really like the anime so far... I have some serious bones to pick with it as well. Much like Sorrow-kun noted, some of this is very far from realistic. While it's fine and dandy to mess around with possibilities which are not understood well such as time travel, at the very least the ideas which are already rooted should be noted correctly. The very idea that a few first-year university students with excessively poor facilities and serious problems from a psychological standpoint should manage to create a device which successfully completes a task which no brilliant team of scientists with astoundingly better facilities has been able to is absurd. In addition, many references to basic scientific ideas and values are completely botched. It's like whoever was supposed to be doing the research for this story remembered to look at some basic theories involved in time travel, but forgot to look up scientific fundamentals and pay heed to common sense.

That seemingly arbitrary outburst of a first post done with... I rather like everything else in this anime (so far). I'm pretty interested in how it'll go from here, now that the shit really has hit the fan. In one way I really hope that Mayuri is saved because I just feel bad when a cute and innocent character dies... but I also sort of hope that she is unable to be saved so as to demonstrate to the other characters the repercussions behind messing around so whimsically with time travel as they have been. At the same time though... the latter idea again seems lacking in sense for reasons that Fumoffu pointed out.

(Also, on a side note, did anyone notice how similar the music in episode 12 was to something from the Melty Blood soundtrack?)
Sometimes you can catch me singing in the rain.

Offline Umbra Sicarius

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
As much as I really like the anime so far... I have some serious bones to pick with it as well. Much like Sorrow-kun noted, some of this is very far from realistic. While it's fine and dandy to mess around with possibilities which are not understood well such as time travel, at the very least the ideas which are already rooted should be noted correctly. The very idea that a few first-year university students with excessively poor facilities and serious problems from a psychological standpoint should manage to create a device which successfully completes a task which no brilliant team of scientists with astoundingly better facilities has been able to is absurd. In addition, many references to basic scientific ideas and values are completely botched. It's like whoever was supposed to be doing the research for this story remembered to look at some basic theories involved in time travel, but forgot to look up scientific fundamentals and pay heed to common sense.

That seemingly arbitrary outburst of a first post done with... I rather like everything else in this anime (so far). I'm pretty interested in how it'll go from here, now that the shit really has hit the fan. In one way I really hope that Mayuri is saved because I just feel bad when a cute and innocent character dies... but I also sort of hope that she is unable to be saved so as to demonstrate to the other characters the repercussions behind messing around so whimsically with time travel as they have been. At the same time though... the latter idea again seems lacking in sense for reasons that Fumoffu pointed out.

(Also, on a side note, did anyone notice how similar the music in episode 12 was to something from the Melty Blood soundtrack?)

I can't say I completely agree with you about them inventing the time machine without all of the fancy equipment and research of the bigger corporation.  for one thing stuff gets invented all of the time by accident which is exactly what they did. all of the big labs in the world can't beat random happenstance you would be surprised how many things you take for granted have been invented by pure chance. not trying to be mean but it is true
The Cake is a lie.
Sanity is for the Weak.
Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost. ~Attr O'Shovah

Peace is a lie. There is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The force shall set me free. ~code of the sith

Offline TheChocolatier

• Chocolate Addict

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
It may or may not be true; that is simply your opinion. I'm not saying that things do not get invented accidentally; I'm saying that major inventions such as a time machine do not get invented accidentally, especially today. In the past maybe, when information was far more decentralized, to see an important invention out of the blue was not too uncommon. But in the modern world? Check the ratio of the frequency of such inventions in the past 10 years to that in the past 100. Times have changed. You really do need the resources to make things happen, in my opinion.

I can go on about the logical flaws inherent in the anime, but I will not simply because I believe it is not worth making a huge deal about. I think such a show is meant to be watched without taking things in too technical a sense. What I posted above was just a rant of my personal feelings - though in retrospect I should've understood that posting something like that in a forum just invites discussion.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »
I can go on about the logical flaws inherent in the anime, but I will not simply because I believe it is not worth making a huge deal about.
You evidently thought it worth it enough to post a 6-line rant about the subject. :| But, let's not go down that road shall we?
--

12+13:

Slightly behind schedule since I could only get the opportunity to watch it recently. *ahem*...

MOEKA, YOU BITCH.

That just about sums up my opinion on that particular character...seriously, why allow her to be privy to such information as to their time travel attempts in the first place? Her obsession over the IBN5100 (that's right, right?) would have been enough for me to show her the door.  >:(

I'm divided as to how I hope the Mayuri Inevitable Death Syndrome to be resolved. My first thought is that I want her to be saved AT ANY COST. I don't think saving her will be as easy as Fumoffu!! makes it out to be (I think they'd go after her after dealing with Okabe, Kurisu and Daru - she knows too much.) - I imagine SERN infiltrated a large portion of the city before making their move (also, bomb scare etc). However, I don't want her rescue from her seemingly inevitable fate to be contrived and done for the sake of not killing off one of the main characters. (I.e. some last-episode scenario....that would (I imagine) serious damage it in my eyes)

Offline TheChocolatier

• Chocolate Addict

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »
To be fair (to myself, hilariously enough),
1. I noted that such thinking was more of a personal penchant - hence the believing it is not worth making a huge deal about.
2. 6 lines of writing is hardly "making a huge deal", in my book (which is what matters in this case, as the "huge deal" is from my perspective).

Also, if I were to make use of the same sort of selective attention as you, I could say you were being a hypocrite! But, let's not go down that road, shall we? :)

Anyways, I truly don't mean to be abrasive to anyone. I have a tendency to write my mind (and I'm a rather negative person), but it is not with the intention of being rude to anyone - only with the intention of dismissing logical fallacies. If you'd like to debate my ideas, feel free to; I'd like people to refrain from making personal attacks though please.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »
14:

After the bombshell of episode 12, and the (failed) attempts at saving Mayushii in episode 13, I felt that this episode did well at showing the increasing desperation of Okabe as he struggles to fight against the seemingly inevitable fate of Mayushii. He can't believe that such a thing as 'fate' exists, and one really cannot imagine the pain he's going through as he witnesses Mayushii die time and time again possibly due to his actions in overseeing the creation of the time machine. The scene where Okabe was trapped in the car was fantastic, imho, because his guilt at the situation into which Mayushii will soon be/is placed reduces him to a shadow of the Hououin Kyouma we know and love from earlier episodes. Not to mention from a plot perspective it could've been the end of the possibly countless attempts made by Okabe, which would not have been an unforeseeable plot direction further increasing the tension/emotion in the scene.

It was surely only a matter of time before he started relying upon Kurisu. The interaction between the two (three? :D ) of them over the course of the episode was really telling as it shows how the situation has (irrevocably) changed Okabe. I'd never made a note of the fact that Okabe had never said her real name before. The close-up of Kurisu before Okabe made his (now-extended?) time-leap was touching as it showed how close Kurisu (at least) views Okabe, and how she values his sincerity in actually calling her by her real name.

Of course, it wouldn't be Steins;Gate if there wasn't a slight dash of comedy/tsundere-Kurisu epicness thrown in as well. +5Hrs Kurisu 1: 0 Normal Kurisu, I think there. Wondering if she's having big problems using chopsticks...

((P.S. You've watched the episode, you know the plot. John Titor etc...  :P ))

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2011, 02:48:03 AM »
Just blazed through the game (completed, except for Mayushii route) in record time. My eyes hurt.

"My Fork" definitely wins for best line in the entire series. That's so incredibly adorable.

Suzuha's definitely the most interesting character in the entire show. Hopefully the anime will also give her the respect she deserves. One aspect that I'm interested in is how well the directors of the anime are able to show Okarin's desperation as he attempts, over and over, to save Mayushii. It was easier in the VN, thanks to internal monologues, but I'd imagine it's much harder in anime format.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 04:07:54 AM »
Ep 15

After the shock of episode 12, it took me three weeks to overcome the pain enough that I could start watching this show again.  So the very first scene of episode 13 just had to repeat that scene again, and all of episode 13 and 14 was about Mayuri
Spoiler for Hiden:
dying over and over again.
This anime is intent on putting my heart through a blender.

As far as this latest ep is concerned, the hints seem to suggest that
Spoiler for speculation:
Daru is Suzuha's father.
Yep, still far and away the best show of last season.  Probably one of the best directed shows of the year as well.  And the voice work is as good as anything else going around.  It's a bit of a thing that one of the best executed anime of the year also happens to have one of the most soul-shattering plots.  But that's what makes it so affecting.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »
Ep 15

Yep, still far and away the best show of last season.
*cough*last 2 years*cough*

Also, about
Spoiler for S-K's speculation:
Daru being Suzuha's father
, that never actually passed my mind. The fact that Daru was working on the time machine most of the time drew attention away from him - but the fact that Daru CAN work on the time machine does appear to give credence to the speculation.
Spoiler for Hiden:
As does 'Barrel'. :P

Lastly, the ending (for me) appears to suggest that the pin-badge scenario won't be as easy as Okabe hopes it will be. (i.e. trap etc, I don't know... :-X )

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 06:16:49 AM »
16:

Goddamn.

Offline Umbra Sicarius

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »
well looks like it is going back to the beginning, I found it interesting how they could somehow regain there memories from other world lines that does add a new element to all of this.
The Cake is a lie.
Sanity is for the Weak.
Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost. ~Attr O'Shovah

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 03:29:20 AM »
If at the end of all Okabe's efforts Mayuri still winds up dead, I'll be very pissed.

Spoiler for Visual Novel Spoilers:
Don't worry. No one of significance remain dead at the end of Steins;Gate.

Yep, still far and away the best show of last season.

*cough*last 2 years*cough*

Tatami Galaxy and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood wants a word with you.

Offline Umbra Sicarius

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
Looks like this was an episode meant to cool down while it still managed to advance the plot I am now worried that the next D-mail he cancels will kill Makise Kurisu. :-\
The Cake is a lie.
Sanity is for the Weak.

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
I'm not terribly happy that we get to waste an episode on possibly the least interesting character in the entire show, but with the next D-mail to undo being Moeka's, this will probably be going in a more serious direction from now until the home stretch.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »
18:

Pretty tame compared to the others, probably because Ruka is the least interesting character in the show imo.

Undoing Moeka's D-mail... Hoo boy, I have a feeling that it's going to take more than a date to do that.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
19:

No one's going to talk about this freaking amazing episode? Even though I know what was going to happen, I still loved this episode. Moeka's VA did a freaking amazing job this time. It was even better than the visual novel. The emotions of utter despair and anger really took me in.

Also, Okabe pulling a Touma.

Offline Aeroblip

• Podcaster
    • Aeroblip's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with aeroblip16 using Skype
    • @Aeroblip
    • Behind the Nihon Review

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
Hello World. Long time reader, first time posting.

This episode was definitely much better than the previous one. I'm impressed with the show's ability to consistently draw me to the edge of my seat. The second half of the episode definitely has some of the most memorable (and emotionally moving) scenes of the entire series. So far, this show is definitely a candidate for best shows of the year.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 12:49:47 AM »
19:

I'm pleasantly surprised that this episode had exceeded my predictions by the length of a street.

Agreeing with ImperialX92 here, I think Saori Gotou did a fantastic job in voicing Moeka; I was completely enthralled by the sheer emotions of terror and despair filled within that voice.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:56:01 AM by HirakuNoShadow »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »
I'm taking over this Forum.

Episode 14:

At first I was really worried that they'd go down the path of "no matter what you do Mayushi dies", but it didn't, and I'm glad for it. I thought it was a very good episode too, the relationship between Kurisu and Okabe progressed really well in the short time before he time leaped again, I feel kind of dissappointed that the 'progress' was completely overwritten. The plot's developing nicely too, though I had a slight problem with the whole alpha and beta world line explanations. It's saying that unless something really drastic happens, Mayushi dies, but I'm sure that there must have been a way that Mayushi could have survived, unless it was actually fate that was murdering her. I am also slightly baffled as to why OKabe didn't go further back into the future. Ah well, it was a good episode, and I won't make to much of it's flaws.

Episode 15:

I like it that they still can have some humour in this without taking away from the drama, little bits like Okabe grandly (as always) announcing his identity, only to have them (Kurisu and Suzuha) both go "we know". The plots going well, though again, I wonder a lot why Okabe didn't think about going further back in time before, it seems kind of obvious to me. Anyway, whether or not this is still a mystery 5 weeks on, but I have a suspicion as to the identity of Suzuha's father. Mayushi is so funny and sweet, it makes the fate that everyone's trying to avoid that much more poignant.

Episode 16:

Wow. Steins;Gate just gets better and better. So no, it's not a mystery, it's Daru, and that part of the episode was so touching and sweet, which made the bit after all the more terrible. It's incredibly sad, and I would have hoped that Okarin may have tried to save her, but with Mayushi safe (apparently) I don't think he'll risk her life again. The plot's always been good with this show, but now it's been having some compelling and emotional scenes too. This show is really excelling, it's a real treat as the first anime to catch up on now that I'm back.

Episode 17:

Mayushi saved? Lol, yeh right. So they reverted Akibara back to it's moe state. I'm surprised that Feris accepted to be honest, it must have been an agonizing decision, and it showed in the raw emotion of it all. I don't quite know how the world's changed, but surely it's getting further and further away from the 1% divergence number that is apparently required to save Mayushi. The divergence number doesn't really make sense to me anyway, how do you measure it so convieniently? How much would going back in time and removing Jesus from existence have changed the Divergence number? Does it change for different parts of the world? Removing christianity from American and EUropean history would have had an absolutely astonishing affect, but in asia it wouldn't that much different (in comparison), since there wasn't any christianity there to start with, though Neon Genesis Evangelion would have never come about.

Episode 18:

What's with the utter hilarity of this episode? Mayushi has still got the mark of death on her (so to speak), and we have this episode which had me laughing like crazy the whole time, the awkwardness of the cafe I just couldn't handle. It seems to me though that they could have just sent a message to Ruko to make her/him careful when clearing out the storehouse, rather than changing his/her entire sex, making him/her a whole lot unhappier in the process. Anyway, let's see how the last message goes.

Episode 19:

I have to commend Steins;Gate on just how excellent the story is. The mystery is brilliant, I loved how she wouldn't obey any orders, even from herself, unless it was FB. It's great. I feel so happy.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 11:26:36 PM »
20:

As expected. Steins;Gate isn't getting a season 2 so they have to squeeze as much as they can into it. There was no possibly to way to fit everything in from the VN's true end into the next few episodes, so they understandably cut out a lot of stuff. Some stuff they cut out are scenes that I consider very important, so below is a synopsis of what SHOULD have happened in this episode if they cut nothing out. The parts in bold only happened in the VN and not in the anime.

Spoiler for Visual Novel Spoilers:
After confirming with Daru that the locker Moeka mentioned was in use, Okarin returns the phone to Moeka and invites her along to for a chance to find out who FB really is. She hesitates and doesn’t follow.

The next day, Okarin goes alone to the locker and he spends the whole day keeping watch but no one arrives to open the locker. Okarin decides to try and break the locker open. The police is alerted and he time leaps back. The next day, Moeka joins him bringing some food with her and the next day someone finally appears. He didn’t seem to be FB. They follow him onto the train but lose track of the man he passes the case to. After another time leap they finally manage to get back on track. Surprisingly, Braun from the old TV shop was arrives to give them a lift. Okarin time leaps again and goes to rent a car ready to trail Braun and the Rounders. Moeka was a “paper driver” which meant she hasn’t driven for a very long time but she manages to somehow… They end up arriving at Suzuha’s home where the IBN5100 is moved inside.

They watch the house waiting for any more movement. There was none. Night soon descended and the men who attacked the lab arrives. They take the IBN5100 and learn they were heading to France with it where SERN’s HQ was. Okarin calls Kurisu to tell her to keep watch from outside. She was to call for help if neither he or Moeka comes back out. They enter the house and Braun greets them. He collects the Divergence Meter yet again but sits down. The displayed value had increased which confirms undoing the D-Mails was working.

Moeka stays silent until Okarin reveals they knew he was working for SERN. Braun takes out a gun, his smile faded. He admits to be “FB” and was only using Moeka to find the IBN5100. She was no use any more. Okarin was angry. Angry that the very person that Suzuha had gone back in time and ended up looking after was the person to steal the IBN5100 she retrieved. As if in answer, Braun smiled and pointed the gun to himself. He’s sorry for Suzuha and pulls the trigger. After picking up “FB” Braun’s phone, Okarin tried looking for Nae but was glad she wasn’t there to witness the whole event.

Together they leave the scene quickly back to Moeka’s apartment, ready to send the D-Mail they need. However, just as Kurisu mentions she saw a little girl running out the back of the house after the gunshot, Braun’s little daughter Nae appears in the room and greets them hello. She suddenly takes out a gun and shoots Moeka, laughing eerily. She tells Okarin to wait in fear because he will be next in the future and runs out the apartment. Both Kurisu and Okarin were shocked. That did not sound like a little girl talking.

With the D-Mail on standby, Moeka apologises for what she’s done and passes out. Kurisu remains calm, urging Okarin to send the D-Mail but he doesn’t. He wanted to know the truth and who Nae really was. He time leaps back to before they arrive at Suzuha’s house and waits outside together with Kurisu while Moeka goes in alone this time. He instructs Kurisu to go in and pick up FB’s phone after hearing a gunshot while he goes after Nae.

Unprepared, little Nae brandishes a knife and lunges at Okarin’s shoulder. She reveals she was Brauns daughter who had time leaped over 2700 times to return 15 years from the future for revenge. But she couldn’t kill Okarin yet because otherwise she would never be able to travel back in time to kill Moeka like she just did. Either way, she joins Rounders and is the one that ends up capturing Okarin in the future, torturing him about his resistance group and letting him die a slow death. With that she runs off just as Kurisu catches up.
Okarin takes the phone from Kurisu and sends the D-Mail.

After the timeline shift, Okarin finds himself standing in the streets and immediately heads to Moeka’s apartment to see if the D-Mail worked. She confirms she was no longer looking for the IBN5100. As he made his way back to the lab, he grimaced remembering what happened in the other timeline – Nae bent on revenge and Braun committing suicide to stop Moeka working for the Rounders.

Finally the IBN5100 was back in the Mirai Gadgets Lab. Okarin cries out happily, ready to have Daru erase traces of their D-Mail from SERN’s surveillance logs and shift the timeline for good so that Mayuri is finally saved. Unfortunately, Daru was away at the ComiMa so Okarin time leaps to the moment Daru is still around.

Daru sets up all the commands ready and gives Okarin the privilege to hit the enter key. However, just as he was about to execute the commands, he realizes he had forgotten something important… If he stops himself sending that D-Mail about Kurisu’ death, they will end up in a timeline where she will be murdered.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 08:13:15 AM »
20:

This series is incredible. After reading what should have happened from ImperialX, I feel that they did a good job cutting, it's strange that they did cut so much, yet it still makes sense and seems to be following the plot well enough, apart from the whole Nae thing, but that isn't really important.

What's important is that Okabe is faced with a dreadful choice, a future where Kurisu dies, or a future where Mayushi dies. Truly, I'm still slightly upset about the fact that they can't seem to save Mayushi without something drastic happening, it doesn't make sense in my mind, but it's what the plot says, and I can't change it, so I may as well move on and see how Okabe deals with this.

I feel that the direction this is heading in is going to be unpleasant though, I'm not sure if I'll like what happens.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »
I feel that the direction this is heading in is going to be unpleasant though, I'm not sure if I'll like what happens.

The VN actually has two ends from here. 5pb and Nitro+ have emphasized that Kurisu's End is the True End. Note that I have included big spoilers, but if you don't want to be spoiled just briefly hover over the spoilers and see how long the True End is.

Spoiler for Mayuri End:
Okarin decides to sacrifice Kurisu and send the D-Mail. It was a difficult and tearful decision but he does it. Kurisu understands and accepts her fate. Okarin tells Mayuri about it, and Mayuri doesn't want Kurisu to be sacrificed. Kurisu comforted her and told Okarin to send the D-Mail. Okarin tears up but presses the button after making a mad scientist speech. After the D-Mail is sent everything is reverted back to what it was in episode 1 with no one having any memories of Kurisu except Okarin. Okabe gets into a relationship with Mayuri, and the story ends.

Spoiler for Kurisu End (TRUE END):
Okarin cannot choose between Mayuri and Kurisu. As he struggles, he realizes that he is in love with Kurisu and cannot sacrifice her. He confesses his love and she accepts him. They have two long, emotional kisses (normally there would be an H-Scene in a situation like this, but unfortunately Steins;Gate is not an eroge) Even so, Kurisu has already made up her mind about accepting her fate and saving Mayuri. As Okabe sends the D-Mail, they shout they will never forget each other. After the Leading Steiner trigger takes effect, there is no sign of Kurisu. Mayuri was still alive after the fated hour, so Okabe knew she was safe. As he thinks about Kurisu, Okarin agrees and finally concludes humankind can not rely on time machines. It was beyond their control and things were best as they are.

However, a few weeks later, Daru receives a call from a “mysterious woman” in the lab. He passes it onto Okarin and finds it was Suzuha from the future.

Confused, Okarin goes to the Rajio building that was still sealed off due to an unsolved murder investigation. On the roof he finds Suzuha who seemed older – probably in her 40s and the satellite-shaped time machine hadn’t crashed this time. She claims the Third World War takes place in the future where she comes from. Okarin grabs her, wondering if Kurisu’ death and everything he has been through was for nothing. Suzuha calms him down to say that to change this new bleak future, they have to save Kurisu. They must reach the “Steins Gate” timeline.

This time they were they going to use Suzuha’s completed time machine to travel back in the time to the day of the lecture. Unlike the previous timeline, this new model allows them to travel back and forward in time. Suzuha breaks the emergency exit open with her gun. Okarin runs down and hides himself near where Kurisu is found murdered. Moments later Kurisu appears happily holding a manila envelope. She appeared to be waiting for someone. Dr. Nakabachi appears and it turns out he was her father. Kurisu really wanted to help restore her father’s reputation about time travel but he thought she wanted to steal his glory. He takes out a knife, saying it was her fault he was made a fool. He’s going to take credit for her work instead.

Okarin leaps out trying to stop him and manages to take the knife away. Nakabachi stares in horror as the angered Okarin gets ready to strike, doing whatever it takes to save Kurisu. A splash of blood covers his lab coat but it wasn’t Nakabachi’s… the blood came from Kurisu. She had dived in to protect her father. Kurisu didn’t know who he was but apologises that he had to get caught up in this mess. Her voice started to trail away quietly, barely uttering that she didn’t want to die and wanted help. Suzuha rushes to help the shocked Okarin back to the time machine, now knowing that the cry he heard in the building was his own.

Okarin was ready to give up trying to save Kurisu believing that the conservation of time meant he couldn’t do it just like when he tried to save Mayuri but, Mayuri slaps him and tries to encourage him to try again. Just then, his phone rings and he receives an anonymous e-mail telling him to watch TV. Okarin recognised the date… It was from the future and that means it must be a D-Mail! They turn on the TV channel on his phone and find the cargo hold in the plane that Nakabachi was on, had caught fire while he was being exiled to Russia. The time travel documents he stole would have been burned too but, thanks to the rare metal “Uber” being detected during the security scans, he ended up carrying the documents with him. Somehow, Nakabachi had picked it up when Mayuri lost it. As a result, the Third World War breaks out between the countries in a race to obtain time travel.

Okarin opens the video and sees a silhouette of himself. He hears his own voice. It turns out he had to let Kurisu be killed once or he would never have had the will to upgrade the D-Mail system so that he can send a recording back in time too. The Future Okarin explains he’s suffered the guilt for 15 years and has concluded that time travel will not save Kurisu. What they had to do was to stop the time machine from ever being invented and feign Kurisu’ death to fool the world and himself. Otherwise he would never be able to send a message long enough to himself. Kurisu will also be saved because her father will think she died in Japan. The metal Uber must also be replaced so that the documents end up being left in the cargo hold and burned. Okarin remembers one of his gadgets can create fake looking blood and gets Mayuri to go fetch it. It was the last trip before the time machine runs out of fuel. He had to save Kurisu this time.

After arriving back in the past, Okarin hurries down so that he is the first to use the Gatchapon machines and retrieves the only limited edition Metal Uber inside. Just in case, Future Okarin hides to confirm Mayuri only gets a plastic one. An announcement that the time travel presentation was about to start. Mayuri rushes off and drops the Uber. Okarin waits and finds Kurisu picking it up. She looks around to see who could have dropped it but since there was no one around, she ends up putting it inside the envelope with the time travel theory documents.

Okarin makes his way to the same spot where Kurisu meets her father and was going to use the gadget to create fake blood to scare them but, it was clogged up. He had to think of another plan. Okarin intervenes at the same time again but this time with his confident Hyouma “mad scientist” ego back again. He provokes Nakabachi to stab him and succeeds. Okarin is stabbed and he takes the knife. He then takes out a stun gun, threatening that he will kill both Kurisu and Nakabachi. Kurisu tries to help Okarin but ends up being stunned and passes out onto the floor. Scared, Nakabachi flees the scene. Suzuha arrives just in time as Okarin opens up his wound to create a pool of blood on the floor. He was betting on the conservation of time events mean he won’t die. After letting Suzuha move Kurisu onto the pool of blood, they slowly make their way back to the time machine. Ready to travel back to the future, Okarin closes his eyes just as Suzuha says farewell, hoping it really is the “Steins Gate” timeline that awaited them.

A month later, as Okarin took a walk through the streets of Akiba after coming out of the hospital, he randomly meets Kurisu. She had been looking for him, wanting to thank him for saving her that day even though they had never met. For old times sake, Okarin takes out his phone pretending to be talking to the secret organisation he was working for and then wlecomes back “Christina”. However, something was triggered in her memory, and she remembers her days as a lab member from the alternative timeline. Okarin takes out the last unclaimed pin badge and welcomes Kurisu back in a tearful reunion. Everything was according to “Steins Gate”.

So here is my biggest worry with this series. Basically, as you can see, Mayuri's ending is quite short but still sweet. Kurisu's End (the true end) is amazing but it goddamn, is it long. Given that we only have 4 episodes left, this will be incredibly difficult to fit in. I remember quite clearly that it took about 4 hours to clear Kurisu's End starting from when Okarin sends the D-Mail. I even had the voices off, and trust me, I read a lot faster than they talk. If I left the voice on it would have taken even longer. Now I cannot even begin to imagine how the anime is going to fit this story that takes me 4 hours to read into 80 minutes, complete with voice acting.

If they can seriously do the true end and still not cut out enough to make the story bad, I will be extremely impressed. If they don't make the true end, well, my point that a VN can never be adapted into an anime that can match the source has been proven yet again.

I'm just being angry because Steins;Gate is the BEST VN adaptation I have ever seen. If they made this 52 episodes it would have been perfect. /cryface

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
20: Oh shit. Is it just me who went "OHHHHHHHH...." when you suddenly remembered the events at the very beginning of the series?

Away, ImperialX, with your VN spoilers! :P I'll only read those when the entire series is finished; I'm sure you understand. :) I agree with your 52-episode lamentation, if only because it would allow more of this to be aired. Alas not.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
21:

The tragedy that's unfolding is wretched, I feel so dreadful watching everything slowly reveal itself. Mayushi's talk to her grandmother had me verging on tears, her voice was done terrifically there. I can see what's coming, and I don't like it one bit. I'm fine with bad endings occasionally, but not when the cast is likable and has grown on me so much, I'd so very much like it for everyone to live and be happy, but the more this continues, the more I think that it won't.

The fact I dislike the tragic situation in which I think this show may be headed makes me feel more angry towards how the plot got where it currently is. I still don't get why Mayushi has the mark of death on her, as I've said before - it should be perfectly reasonable to find a situation where Mayushi can live without a drastic change in history, fate isn't something that goes chasing people down and killing them like in the Final Destination series. Go to the train station, give Mayushi a lot of food, and tell her to sit in the toilets until the next day, and not to come out or approach the tracks. Sure, explaining this to her would be a task, but if you could, why wouldn't that work? I couldn't think of anyway she cold die in that situation apart from in an incredibly contrived way (like tripping into a sink full of water and drowning in it while unconscious) unless they came and killed her. In fact, is it me, or do they seems simply intent on killing Mayushi nowadays, completely ignoring Okarin and the rest, which are the people they should be focusing on? Look at the van scene, they run her over, and just f*** off without Okarin, despite that fact he should be their target. Are they just being dicks?

I wouldn't be so pedantic about this if I didn't like where it brought us, I don't like dead Mayushi's - they make me sad, and apparently her too  :'(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:13:19 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
21:

3 episodes left. This is not good...my "anime will butcher the VN's true end" senses are tingling.

Seriously, I didn't like this episode. They do not have time for this! There is a mountain of material to cover.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 08:00:19 AM »
22:

I loved parts of this episode, but the way it ended up made me bitter towards it. I don't want Kurisu dead, not after that incredibly dramatic confession and all that followed. As for his confession, it didn't come out the blue, but it did come as a bit of a surprise for him to say it, though I suppose I shouldn't given the extremity of the circumstances. Seriously though, how can you kill someone you've just confessed your love to, with all your heart? I know saving Mayushi is important, but HOW??? It's just so cruel :'(

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
22:

Excellent episode; faultless. (From a non-VN POV, of course)

...apart from the VERY ending, that is (past the ED). Whilst I was watching the episode (and the ensuing ED) I actually thought a curveball had been thrown and it was the very end of the series. I'm not sure what to make of the new direction.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2011, 07:26:20 PM »
22:

...apart from the VERY ending, that is (past the ED). Whilst I was watching the episode (and the ensuing ED) I actually thought a curveball had been thrown and it was the very end of the series. I'm not sure what to make of the new direction.

Would you have preferred it to end right there?

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »
22:

Would you have preferred it to end right there?
I wouldn't have been entirely dissatisfied. Maybe a little bit wanting, although 2 episodes seems a tad too much because it seemed decidedly final.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »
23:

Mayushi... she slapped him... Mayushi did, woah. I guess it's a Mayushi-Slap.

Anyway, I now finally get why Mayushi kept on dying, and that's because the lines tend to one another through that field they kept mentioning. I should have noticed before. Seems like the series will be neatly resolved, which is good in a way, to be honest I was always in favour of an end where Kurisu and Mayushi are alive (I wonder whether they'll kill Okarin this time :p). The solution to the problem is one that I have thought of before (though not in response to this program), and I think it is a pretty good explanation. I don't know how much this diverged from the Visual Novel, but I think this looks to be a pretty good anime original ending.

Oh, and they used the second verse of [Hacking the Gate] for the opening, and they slightly changed a bit of the visuals as well. Nice touch.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 02:44:40 AM »
23:

This is actually a lot more complicated than what most people think, so I think this is worth a read to most of you.

The main reason that Rintarou of 2025 didn’t send his video D-mail to Rintarou of July 28th and tell that version of himself to save Kurisu is because he wants to preserve the three weeks of hell he went through where he developed feelings for Kurisu. (Three weeks actual time - of course, as for how many times he jumped back and fourth, it can well be several months to several years). It was that experience that drove the current Rintarou of August 21st to spend the next 15 years of his life with Daru creating a time machine and perfecting the video D-mail to try and save Kurisu. He wants to cause a divergence towards Steins;Gate after those three weeks and not before it. To accomplish that, he needs Rintarou of 8/21 to do it for him. He also needs to trick history. He needed to trick himself. Those who have played Ever17 - this is a very similar trick to what Blickwinkel played on himself.

The reason why the video D-mail from 2025 came after Suzuha from 2036 is because her arrival is required to put the current Rintarou of 8/21 into a slightly modified version of the Beta timeline where he will send a movie mail back to himself. The reason why Suzuha didn’t go back in time until 2036 is because the time machine wasn’t completed until 11 years later. (Note: As Suzuha mentioned before, Rintarou was already dead by then, having been killed in 2025, leaving Daru to finish the time machine alone. Incidentally, 2025 is when World War 3 broke out in the Beta timeline.)

In this version of the Beta timeline, everything from the “world’s perspective” remains the same. Kurisu is still dead, except she’s killed by Rintarou. History is fooled because Suzuha has inserted a change that allows Rintarou to receive a movie mail, while adhering to the effects of the Attractor Field convergence — the phenomenon where certain events in a given timeline are fated. Rather than fighting hopelessly against fate, Rintarou of 2025′s plan is to first go along with it. In other words, whether Rintarou or Dr. Nakabachi kills Kurisu doesn’t change the fact that Rintarou and Daru will spend the next 15 years of their life creating a time machine and perfecting the video D-mail. A change definitely occurred though since Rintarou of 8/21 is now responsible for killing Kurisu, but it’s so subtle that there was no perceived divergence. It went practically undetected by the timeline. As soon as Rintarou of Suzuha returned to August 21st, 2010, they were already on a path to a slightly different future though. According to the game, the shift was from only from 1.130205 to 1.130209~1.130211. This is a 0.000004~0.000006 change.

The video mail sent to Rintarou on July 28th is only readable now because it is sent by the Rintarou of 8/21 that killed Kurisu. The original Rintarou of 7/28 (in episode one) received noise, because Rintarou of 2025 had to send one (even if it was blank) so that the current Rintarou of 8/21 will send one as well fifteen years from now when he becomes Rintarou of 2025. Remember, the subtle change on who killed Kurisu doesn’t change the current future. However, Rintarou can change the contents of that D-mail to himself like we saw here. The first Rintarou of 2025 who didn’t kill Kurisu left a future means to get a message back to Rintarou of 8/21 where he can keep trying to save Kurisu. This time, it’s over a span of 15 years and Rintarou is receiving D-mails instead of sending them.

Now that Rintarou of 2025 is getting closer to tricking history, he tasks Rintarou of 8/21 with the last part of the plan, to save Kurisu without affecting anything afterward that leads to saving her. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. If Rintarou of 2025 or Suzuha of 2036 just saved Kurisu themselves, they would’ve pre-empted the very three-week experience that caused Rintarou to try and save her in the first place. They would’ve gone to a whole new timeline and who knows what would go wrong there at least, we know that Rintarou won't be in love with Kuirsu. The plan is to stay on the current timeline but save Kurisu. To do that, he needs to make sure that the current Rintarou of 8/21 saves Kurisu while fooling himself on 7/28 so that everything that’s happened up to this point remains exactly the same. The divergence to Steins;Gate comes from destroying the research papers, but starts from August 21st onward when the time machine returns to that day. It’s not explicitly stated, but I presume that would be another 1+% divergence since World War 3 will have been prevented.

Finally, I strongly urge everyone in this thread to rematch episode 1 AND episode 23 after reading all that was posted above. You will be amazed at the sheer coherency of this anime adaptation - the "15 minutes", the static, and even the pin - which has blown me away, and also by far my favorite anime of 2011 right now. Steins;Gate has given me hope - VNs CAN be adapted into good anime adaptations if we believe. White Fox, please do ChaoS;HEAd and Robotic;Notes!  

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
It was slightly more complex than I thought...

It makes perfect sense if you think about it. If Rintarou of 2025 or Suzuha of 2036 just saved Kurisu themselves, they would’ve pre-empted the very three-week experience that caused Rintarou to try and save her in the first place. They would’ve gone to a whole new timeline and who knows what would go wrong there at least, we know that Rintarou won't be in love with Kuirsu.

What about the reading Steiner? The Rintarou of 25 years in the future presumably has the reading steiner too, so he'd remember the three weeks. This has got me wondering about the different Okabe's in different world lines that all have reading steiners. Would they all have reading steiners? If they did, then what happens if two Okabe's in different world-lines both send D-Mails that changed the past and moved their world lines to the same world line as each other? I'm confused...

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »
Firstly,
*officially retracts comments made following episode 22*

23:

HOUOUIN KYOUMA is back!! :D El. Psy. Congroo.

Thanks for the thorough explanation of what is happening now, Imperial, although I did already understand the point of having Kurisu indirectly rather than directly saved by Okabe. (I also definitely plan on watching episode 1 (and maybe 23) again to see just how they translate to each other.

We now know that Okabe has two tasks before him now;

#1: Destroy the papers.
#2: Save Kurisu.

It seems apparent how Okabe will attempt to save Kurisu, presumably fake her death (how he will do this is beyond me. :P), but the destruction of the papers is less certain. There are two ways that Okabe can do this (in my eyes):

Spoiler for In case you don't want to see my guesses:
Firstly, he can stop Kurisu's father getting the papers in the first place then destroy them himself. Secondly, he can reclaim the Metal-Upa from Kurisu's father to prevent the metal detector going off, leaving the plane to crash - destroying the papers.

@Fumoffu!!: The future Okabe needs the past Okabe to save Kurisu, I don't think it's enough for just the future Okabe to remember the three weeks. The past Okabe will ultimately be incited to save Kurisu having seen her 'dead', (an incontrovertible truth in the timeline, right?) so it needs to be trickery in order for her to survive as well. I think.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
What about the reading Steiner? The Rintarou of 25 years in the future presumably has the reading steiner too, so he'd remember the three weeks. This has got me wondering about the different Okabe's in different world lines that all have reading steiners. Would they all have reading steiners? If they did, then what happens if two Okabe's in different world-lines both send D-Mails that changed the past and moved their world lines to the same world line as each other? I'm confused...

The Reading Steiner, as demonstrated, isn't omnipresent. It isn't a tool that allows the possessor to  access all the memories that all the different versions of himself experienced over all different timelines and world lines simultaneously. If it's able to do that, the entire story of Steins;Gate should have been a paradox since Rintarou of episode 1 should know absolutely everything that was going to happen in this series. Obviously he didn't. He had to go through all that to understand. It allows the user to RETAIN the memories of what that specific individual experienced  when traveling through time, but it does not grab memories from other versions of himself from other timelines and world lines and add them to the user's memories.

You can think of it this way - Nagato Yuki is omnipresent and she knows everything that happened in the past, is happening now and in the future in all different World lines because the brains and memories of all the different Nagato Yukis are synchronized to each other. The different Rintarous are not in sync. They do not pocesss the same memories despite all of them having the Reading Steiner, due to having experienced different things in their life journeys. Makes sense?

Another example - before iOS5, you can buy a song from the iTunes store on your Mac, but it won't be on your iPhone or iPad because it's not in sync. The iPhone and iPad still assumes it has the complete library, when in fact it doesn't. It doesn't know that the Mac which should have the same library has already bought a new song. When iOS5 launches in a few months and Apple introduces iCloud, all the devices will be wirelessly synced to each other. When you buy a new song on any device, it is synced to all your other devices. So when one change, all your devices see this change. Basically, Rintarou's ability doesn't have iCloud, so he cannot sync his memories across different versions of himself, while Yuki can. The different Yukis across time and World lines work the same way as iCloud, and everything is kept the same across all the different versions of herself.

I also definitely plan on watching episode 1 (and maybe 23) again to see just how they translate to each other.

Once you do you'll realize why this is the anime of the year.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:17:37 PM by ImperialX »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Basically, Rintarou's ability doesn't have iCloud

Well, at least he isn't horribly insecure and prone to hacking.

Anyway, I feel I got misunderstood. In fact, I think I may just be confused. The Okabe of 15 years in the future worked as hard as he did because he stabbed Kurisu by accident, and that enabled the video D-Mail and the Time Machine to be built. If the current Okabe saves Kurisu, then the world line will change, but the Okabe 15 years in the future would retain his memories of himself stabbing Kurisu, and he'd know he would have to work to save Kurisu... Does the Reading Steiner only work for the person who actually did the change? Do both Okabe's get affected, or is it just the Okabe of the present that would move world lines, and the Okabe of the future would stay in the same world line in which Kurisu dies? But then he changed the past by sending the D-Mail, so he should be affected... hmmmm... Presumably, the moment the video D-Mail got sent back in time, the time line changed for the Okabe 25 years in the future, but he still retained his memories presumably...

Who is Okabe trying to fool? The Okabe that turns into the Okabe of 15 years in the future, or the Okabe that spends three weeks with Kurisu? Or is it another Okabe? Help me ImperialX!

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 02:32:36 AM »
Quite honestly, I think I already answered your questions in the two posts above. Maybe I wasn't very coherent in my posts.  :(

Anyway, it should be stated that Steins;Gate is a combination of many different World Lines. For instance, whenever Okarin travels back in time, it does not mean the World Line he just left disappears - it will carry on. When the past changes, a new World Line is born, and the old does not vanish. The Reading Steiner allows Okarin to retain his memories regardless of how much he travels and jumps between these World lines, going forward and backwards in time, etc. However, it does not sync the memories of the different Okarins in different World Lines. Have you read Katekyo Hitman Reborn? The Vongola Rings are a good analogy to what I'm saying right now. Basically the Reading Steiner works in a similar way as the Vongola rings in that it can keep the memory intact when traveling forward and backwards in time, but cannot sync memories in between World Lines between different Okabes. Mellifore Rings can keep the memories across different World lines.

When Okabe fools himself, he simply creates a new World Line - and the only World Line with the happy ending as we will see in the next episode. All the other World Lines lead to a bad end, which is not animated. However, they do exist. For example, Okarin travelled back whenever Mayushi dies. Every time he goes back he creates a new World Line, but that doesn't mean the timeline he just left ceases to exist. It still does. To make it even more clear, for instance, the first time Okabe went back in time was when the lab got raided by SERN. As soon as Okarin 'travelled' back, the camera goes to the new World line where Okabe with his new memories is just waking up. What the camera doesn't show is that in the World Line that he just 'left', Okabe is actually still there and probably got captured by SERN along with an injured Kurisu. This is a bad end that never gets shown in the anime. You have to realize that Okabe merely 'copies' his memories and send them back in time, creating a new World line. The old one still carries on into its own ending.

I'll say another example to reinforce. The World Line where Mayushii falls in front of the train still exists. Okarin sent hi memories back in time to create a new World line, yes, but as soon as he sent the memories back the camera changes to the new World line. If the camera stayed at the old World Line you will still see a devastated Okarin in the subway, crying over Mayushii's death. Only his memories go back in time, not himself.

I presume that by the end of Steins;Gate, there be one good end (ep 24) and over 9000 bad ends which are not shown to the audience, but still exist.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:39:39 AM by ImperialX »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
I understand now. Thanks for that.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
I also definitely plan on watching episode 1 (and maybe 23) again to see just how they translate to each other.

Once you do you'll realize why this is the anime of the year.

Damn...and I thought I had remembered episode 1 quite well; well, it has been over 5 months (damn). I totally forgot about the "15 minutes", the static, the shouting, Suzuha on the roof - I did remember about the Metal Upa though (that's what you mean by the pin, right? If not, what did you mean?).

I'd also forgotten other things mentioned offhand in the episode, so I'm wondering whether they will play a part on Okarin's plan to deceive himself...

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
I mean, seriously, when did Steins;Gate decide to end so overwhelmingly optimistically?

Two minor bugs with this, for a mission that is so incredibly important, the plan was poorly thought out, and he didn't even bother to check anything. I can't believe that. If the entire future depends on getting the paper burnt, than I'd sure as hell just destroy the paper when the guy came in. As for the blood, well, I would have spilled the father's blood, which would have solved the paper issue at the same time.

The Series

Ideally I'd watch the entire series again, but unfortunately I can't unless I don't watch 24 episodes of another anime this month (damn internet limit). Lets weigh pros and cons:

Cons
  • Slow beginning
  • Questionable plot points
  • Lots of Mayushi Death

Pros
  • Great Story
  • Likable characters
  • Decent character development
  • The relationship between Okarin and Kurisu
  • Mayushi
  • Mayushi
  • Tutturū [Mayushi-desu]

Now, I know I said Mayushi twice, and also her catchphrase, but I think she is such a positive point, she needed mentioning thrice.

So, I'm going to give this anime a 9. It's barely a 9, but it is a 9, I thought I was giving it an 8 when I started writing this post, and I might drop it down in a while. We'll see.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
I'll write more on this series tomorrow; it's too late for me to consider doing at the moment. But, to address the concern of Fumoffu!! (about destroying the papers), the idea of the plan was to keep as much unchanged as possible. The past timeline showed that the Metal Upa would set off the metal detector, and that the plane would crash. It's more risky to do anything else other than replace the metal with something that wouldn't set off the metal detector; Okabe didn't know how the father would react to anything else. Also, if he killed the father he didn't know how Kurisu would react to the situation (it'd also mean his statement earlier in the series (that he would attempt to help Kurisu rebuild ties with her father) pointless). I'd admit that not checking the blood source was reckless, but meh; I'll talk more about this later.

In short; 10/10 from me - this goes straight in my Top 3.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
24:

White Fox has reached KyoAni-tier VN adaptation skills.

For those people who think the ending was underwhelming, I believe it's due to waiting a whole week after episode 23 before watching this. To be honest, I really dislike watching anime as it airs, since waiting one week between each episode removes emotional impact, and it also hazes your memory. For shows such sophisticated and complicated as Steins;Gate and Penguindrum, unless you're prepared to rewatch the whole thing like I do, I strongly support Sorrow-kun's ideals of marathoning instead of watching weekly.

Anyway, if you watch 23 and 24 together, you will see that there's nothing underwhelming about 24. I seriously cannot find fault with this series. I don't even know what's stopping it from getting a 10/10, speaking from a cinematographic sense. I'm going to give it 9/10 anyway because...I dunno, it's just not Aria the Origination level amazing. That is how my 9/10s and 10/10s differ anyway, according to how I rate things.

My 8/10s have certain faults which I can name. I can't do that with Steins;Gate. If you want me to criticize it, I just can't make an argument that doesn't scream 'you're trying too hard'. For that reason I have to give it a 9/10. EDIT: After some thought and rewatching, I have decided that this series deserves a spot in my Top 19. Here is my updated list with Steins;Gate sitting at the 18th spot.

Also...bring on the movie! Awwwww yeah!

Slow beginning

It's a 24 episode series. I don't think any part of this show was poorly paced. People are too used to one-cour series in my opinion. The reason why we grow to love these characters so much when tragedy strikes is due to the first part.

Questionable plot points

Strange. I don't see any. Maybe it's because I played the VN, but I feel that the anime explained everything clearly enough.

Lots of Mayushi Death

How's that a con? It's what makes the series ever so powerful.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:19:01 PM by ImperialX »

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:20 AM »
Okay, I'll write more now...

For the record, I was prepared to give this a 10 before the episode even ended; the 'optimistic' ending portrayed in the anime alone wasn't enough to give it a 10. Indeed, it is to the credit of the anime that what I thought would be an inevitability (OkabexKurisu) was left in doubt until the very end of the episode. There can't not have been incredulity and sadness, either, when Okabe resorted to having himself stabbed in order to replicate the blood at the scene of Kurisu's 'death'. I know I felt very aware of the fact that although Operation Skuld might end up successful, there was a real risk that our beloved protagonist might meet an abrupt end; I'd hope that too many weren't too cynical as to entirely discount the possibility.

I, too, would disagree with Fumoffu!'s 'cons' of the anime (obviously since 10/10); the beginning episode is one of the most confusing-yet-intriguing episodes of any anime I've seen. As Imperial has said, it's two-cour anyway - episode 12 would have had little impact if it occurred in, say, episode 5. Those first 11 episodes were essential to create attachment to the characters, and to set out what needed to be done for the remainder of the series. Episode 12 (and 13) also cannot be a con by any sense of the word ('lots of Mayushii Death') - I thought those episodes represented possibly the most memorable part of the series. Not sure I could name any Questionable Plot Points, but hey you're free to name any if you want; I won't discount the possibility..

Aside from my misgivings about Fumoffu!'s misgivings, and the excellent last two episodes, why does S;G deserve a place in my top 3 (alongside Aria and Monster, for those interested)? In a show which has at its centre a story about a man trying to save a girl (ultimately), it is essential that the relationship be grown realistically and for there to be real chemistry between the two characters concerned; this is what saved Gosick from mediocrity. I expressed my sentiments about the 'naturally strengthening' relationship between Okabe and Kurisu in episodes 10+11, and it's unquestionable that in later episodes this relationship developed further until the climax in episode 22 (who else was bitter that Okabe didn't hear the end of Kurisu's proclamation? :( )

The overarching story is what truly sends this in the upper echelons of anime I've seen, and likely will see for the remainder of the decade (early, I know, but it will be up there). The viewer is thrown into an (infuriating) sense of confusion following the first episode, and the episodes numbering up to and including 12 slowly reveal to the viewer what godly power Okabe has unwittingly realised, and the catastrophic effect tinkering with such powers can have (be it Mayushii dying or WWIII when Russia gets their hands on it); every cause will have an effect.

Throw into the mix a healthy dose of Mad Scientist insanity, 'My Fork', and one of the best laughs I've seen, and there you have it. Greatness.

P.S I would actually be inclined to disagree with marathoning this anime (aside from maybe the last 3). Having to wait a week between episodes 12 and 13 in particular was agony, and over the course of 5 months the details of episode 1 are forgotten; realising just what episode 1 actually contained after 5 months is a revelation rewarded for forced patience. I feel the effect could be lost if episode 1 had just been watched last week, say.

P.P.S. MOVIE **** yeah.

P.P.S. VN translation project? **** yeah.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:51:26 AM by Jack Rav »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »
Questionable plot points

Strange. I don't see any. Maybe it's because I played the VN, but I feel that the anime explained everything clearly enough.

Lots of Mayushi Death

How's that a con? It's what makes the series ever so powerful.

As for Mayushi death, the first, second and third deaths were good. The first was shocking, and the second and third just deepened the sorrow. What I dislike more than anything is the fact they held back on explaining the attractor field, so I was getting increasingly irritated at the fact Mayushi kept on dying due to seemingly "fate", due to the contrived ways in which she died. To be honest I meant it in a light hearted way anyway, but I remembered that criticism.

Questionable plot points - Well, I think I'll withdraw this point. What this really means is that I've forgotten details, and it would be solved if I rewatched it.... Which I don't really want to do since I'd miss out on another series. I'm starting to think I'll just do it anyway. I'll withdraw on the slow beginning too, this is again because I should rewatch it, it felt so much slower due to the weekly release.

In any case, while ImperialX and Jack Rav enjoy new favourites, while I can't fault Steins;Gate, I won't be. Why? Simply because, while it's technically brilliant, I don't love it the way I love my favourites. Usually, when I finish something that I really really like, I'll feel strangely terrible when it finishes, because it's all over. Perhaps I might get it if I rewatch it...

Offline XRavsterX

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
24:

I'll keep it brief, as Imperial and Jack have already covered all of exactly why they love the show. I mirror their sentiments, and Steins;Gate has now found its place as my third favourite anime of all time; ousting Death Note from the coveted third spot.

Also, I'll just re-post something Imperial dug up elsewhere:

Quote from: ImperialX
It has been confirmed now that the movie will be completely original work. Awesome news.

http://translate.google.com.ph/translate?hl=tl&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.koi-nya.net%2F2011%2F09%2F14%2Fla-pelicula-de-steinsgate-tendra-un-argumento-diferente-al-anime%2F

This is, of course, great news. Even though I haven't played the VN - although it will be translated...soon - I'd still hate to know that canon stuff will be used for the film, as would make Steins;Gate seem less complete.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »
It's undoubtedly a good anime, but I'm still making up my mind whether or not I'm willing to call it a great anime.

The thing I think it lacks is thematic elegance.  The plot is fairly tight, although I echo some of Fumoffu!! criticisms about the arbitrariness of some of the time travel related phenomena, especially the Attractor Field, but I can't see what Steins;Gate ultimately wanted to say about time travel.  With the exception of having to witness both Mayushi and Kurisu die over and over, I don't think Okabe ended up having to pay anything to get an ideal ending.  I daresay there would have been way more irony in an ending where Okabe died to save Kurisu.  I almost feel as if it cheapens the conflict created a few episodes ago, in which he had to choose between saving Mayushi and Kurisu.  In this ending, he gets to have both.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
If anyone's interested, the full patch for the VN is out, just not edited. Google it to find it.

This show was one of the best this year, in a year of some heavy hitters. 8 or 9 for me.

I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Horsechoker

« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »
I dropped this a while ago because it just wasnt going anywhere. Is there a payoff at the end, is it worth watching?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2011, 12:53:54 PM »
I dropped this a while ago because it just wasnt going anywhere. Is there a payoff at the end, is it worth watching?

There's a review giving it a 9, two posts on this forum saying how it's become one of their favourite anime ever (18th for ImperialX and in top 3 for Jack Rav I believe), and the rest of the posts saying how they liked it too. Did you not know the answer you'd get already?

Offline Horsechoker

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »
Well excuse me for not wanting to be spoiled and ignoring most of the posts. Didnt notice the review tho, so yea i can say that easily. ;)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »
I've finally finished marathoning the entire series, and have realized what the hubbub's all about concerning this show.

I'll cut to the chase: this is a great anime, and arguably the most coherent and competent parallel universe-themed anime ever. Plot-wise, it's amazing; people may criticize the theories and hypotheses that the show assumes, but I have no issue whatsoever about this because whatever the show brought to the table, it was done with careful thought. In short, it's very well-written.

I see many influences from other shows here: I see Madoka Magica's influence of how an outcome can't be changed unless something drastic happens; I see Noein's concept of one's existence through another person's acknowledgement, and I see Higurashi Kai's idea of retaining memories between world lines. Yes it may be a little repetitive to see Mayurii's death over and over again, but to me this is important in the overall narrative as it each death depicts how Okabe failed to save her under changing circumstances. It's nothing like Suzumiya S2's Endless Eight at all.

I will point out only two issues: one is the slow pacing at the initial phase (but god, the plot cogwheel really began to turn from episode 12 onwards) and the other is the ending (Okabe being alive at the end just feels a little too good an ending). However, for a show that turns out to be a dark horse with a great storyline, characters that I care about and effective plot twists, I will give all the kudos it deserves.

A 9/10 for me. For now, I'm not sure what the purpose of a movie is since the story has been wrapped up nicely. Are they going to pull off another Gurren-hen or Lagann-hen, the TTGL movies which eventually paled to the original series?

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
I've finally finished marathoning the entire series, and have realized what the hubbub's all about concerning this show.

I'll cut to the chase: this is a great anime, and arguably the most coherent and competent parallel universe-themed anime ever. Plot-wise, it's amazing; people may criticize the theories and hypotheses that the show assumes, but I have no issue whatsoever about this because whatever the show brought to the table, it was done with careful thought. In short, it's very well-written.

I see many influences from other shows here: I see Madoka Magica's influence of how an outcome can't be changed unless something drastic happens; I see Noein's concept of one's existence through another person's acknowledgement, and I see Higurashi Kai's idea of retaining memories between world lines. Yes it may be a little repetitive to see Mayurii's death over and over again, but to me this is important in the overall narrative as it each death depicts how Okabe failed to save her under changing circumstances. It's nothing like Suzumiya S2's Endless Eight at all.

I will point out only two issues: one is the slow pacing at the initial phase (but god, the plot cogwheel really began to turn from episode 12 onwards) and the other is the ending (Okabe being alive at the end just feels a little too good an ending). However, for a show that turns out to be a dark horse with a great storyline, characters that I care about and effective plot twists, I will give all the kudos it deserves.

A 9/10 for me.

Agrees with everything except the Madoka influence (Steins;Gate as a VN was released far before Madoka, and this is a faithful adaptation). 9/10 is the right score to give it though.

For now, I'm not sure what the purpose of a movie is since the story has been wrapped up nicely. Are they going to pull off another Gurren-hen or Lagann-hen, the TTGL movies which eventually paled to the original series?

It has been confirmed that the movie will be of original work and not a retelling of the story like the TTGL movies.

http://translate.google.com.ph/translate?hl=tl&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.koi-nya.net%2F2011%2F09%2F14%2Fla-pelicula-de-steinsgate-tendra-un-argumento-diferente-al-anime%2F

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »
25:

To be honest, this OVA felt unnecessary. It wasn't part of the original visual novel either. It was exactly what it was - an extra episode designed to promote sales for the Blu-Ray Discs (alas, milking the franchise more).

The Steins;Gate TV series ending (as well as the visual novel) implied that Kurisu somehow recovered all her memories, since she replied to Okabe's talk and accepted the pin. Naturally, we just accepted this great ending without asking how it was possible. This OVA patched this final plot hole in Steins;Gate: by revealing that Kurisu didn't keep all her memories after all and her relationship with Okabe isn't just going to magically repair itself.

While the OVA itself is solid, and the ending was touching, I can't help but feel the existence of this episode undermines the epicness that was the ending of the TV series. Yes, the TV series' ending has a plot hole, but regardless it was a heartwarming and touching scene. The ending provided in this OVA doesn't have any plot holes, but isn't as emotionally powerful (no miracles occurring like the TV ending implied).

I know it's strange that I'm criticizing an episode for filling up a plot hole, but I felt that the plot hole actually made the series more beautiful, and patching it made it seem...more bland.

7/10 from me. The OVA itself had no flaws, but didn't captivate me like the series did.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »
25:

IT'S A MOTEL!

Offline Cadavera

• Cadavera's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
I rather enjoyed the OVA. They put all the best jokes from the series in there, and the scenes of Okabe getting arrested are pure gold. This is how fanservice should be done, not softcore porn bs.

Offline Cadavera

• Cadavera's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Offline MCAL

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »
if anyone is interested, here is a link to the opening for the new Steins;Gate VN. Steins;Gate: Senkei Kōsoku no Phenogram/Linear Bounded Phenogram. The song is called Phenogram and is sung by Ayane. Meanwhile, i think Itou Kanako will sing the ending as she seems to be required by law to sing in the Science Adventure games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bR2b0o8qI
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]   Go Up