Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 02:19:57 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steins;Gate  (Read 35430 times)

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

Steins;Gate
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
1:

Firstly, let us forget the disaster that was the ChaoS;HEAd anime. It was one of the worst anime I've ever seen, and I'm incredibly saddened because ChaoS;HEAd is one of the best Visual Novels ever made, high up there with Fate/stay night and Ever17. However, Steins;Gate still has hope, having changed studios to the one responsible for Katanagatari, which needless to say, was excellent. Also, being 26 episodes long, there is far more time to cover the story. ChaoS;HEAd VN's story couldn't have been contained in 26 episodes, let alone the 13 it received so it was destined to be bad. Steins;Gate has hope.

Let us get back to this episode at hand. Having already played the Steins;Gate visual novel, I have to say, I like most what I'm seeing a lot more than ChaoS;HEAd's adaptation. The way they executed it was certainly nowhere near as good as the VN, but then again, there are restrictions in the anime medium. I don't think there could have been a better attempt. What I do have to say is that it's a bit rushed. Then again, if they slowed it down any more than this, they would struggle to fit the plot of Steins;Gate into 26 episodes. It really deserves more but I guess that's what we get.

Hmm...I don't think many people have played the VN, so I guess to you guys, the ending is a cliffhanger? I would like to hear what you guys think about what's happening so far. Is it too fast? Confusing?

If they can do this adaptation to the epicness of the VN, then I assure you this will be one of the best shows this season, just like ChaoS;HEAd could have been.

Offline hoarfrost

Re: Steins;Gate
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
I like to think of having 2 cours as a buffer to becoming another Chaos Head, but this breakneck first episode is not reassuring in the least. Just 10 minutes after watching and I hardly recall the main bits of the episode other than that a message he sent on his phone traveled through time, past or present I've no clue, and somehow prevented that girl's death. And a microwave is involved. If seeing her alive was supposed to be a wham moment, it seems to have lost its impact given the jarring pacing and direction and the seeming obviousness of why she is alive.

Oh well, it's probably too early in the morning for this kind of thing anyway.

By the way, the original Chaos Head did nothing for me. Perhaps it's due to having seen the anime first, but I found it drawn out and pretentious. It's the only serious visual novel that I've ever completely given up on finishing, which, given the dearth of those, is no meaningless statement. Though I didn't dislike the delusion system, though it was at times meaningless, but I digress.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:23:23 AM by hoarfrost »

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:42 AM »
Erm....so we have a crazy guy in a scientist coat who spouts all sorts of nonsense, a moe-moe girl who seems to just be along for the ride, and an expy of Pantsu from Eden of the East, who hang around and do exactly...nothing. And after goodness knows how many minutes straight of incoherence, mad scientist guy finds out his SMS was sent back into the past, or some such other stuff?

Wait, what? What did I just watch here?  ???

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »
What the hell? That was way too confusing, and it was kinda boring too. I'll give it more time to prove itself, but it was a dull episode, the highlight being when the fat guy tries to make the girl say "Your banana is all floppy".

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
I haven't watched the first episode (yet), but do I need to have watched Chaos Head before watching this one?

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
No, and in fact I'd recommend that you never watch it for any purpose.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »
Ep 1

One of the things that may work against this series in a big way is that the main character is an unreliable narrator (which was also true in Chaos;Head).  His perceptions of events are clearly dubious, which potentially limits the amount of impact any future plot twist or revelation may have.  Also, his female accompaniment is doey.  Her very presence among a self-proclaimed mad scientist who's clearly not all there and an overweight computer nerd otaku creates this weird sexual tension that just doesn't feel right.  The fact that she calls herself a "hostage" just ramps the creepy factor right up.  Don't take this as a criticism, more an observation.  There could very well be an important point to her presence in the whole thing.

But yeah, Okarin is one inconsistent individual.  One minute, he's brilliantly shooting down the fake claims of a respected academic, the next he's making paranoid calls into a phone that's not even turned on.  Some of the ideas in this are interesting.  The satellite that would have killed him had he attended the lecture is reminiscent of Donnie Darko (one of my all time favourite movies) while the discussion with the other side of the monitor is a clever little breaking of the fourth wall.  The question of which side of the monitor is reality isn't entirely without merit, either.  There is, actually (to my understanding) a fairly robust physical theory that states there is no way for us to determine if our universe isn't just some computational simulation.

The director was the dude in charge of the Shigurui anime, which, in my opinion, was brilliant.  The directing style is interesting, and the colour scheme was really dark.  The problem with that is that the fansubbers used a low quality stream (they didn't exactly have a choice, though), which made everything rather difficult to see.  Hopefully it'll be a non-issue in future episodes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:35:07 AM »
1:

I'm lost... again. Well, in a different way compared to Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai.

But on with the good stuff first: I like the pensive and neurotic feel of the show. I can understand that mystery is the name of the game, so building a good atmosphere would be step number one. Plus, not sure if anyone noticed it, but I kinda like the soft static noise that was playing in the background throughout the episode. It kinda make the show a little creepier.

The bad stuff? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON. Seriously, I don't. Okarin is pretty much a nutcase who is quite inconsistent with his narrative style. He claims to be a "mad scientist", but right now I can only agree with the adjective in his self-proclaimed title. More like eccentric, when he wanted the banana to be microwaved. Well, he was sharp when he called the professor's plagiarist work but that doesn't necessarily make him brilliant (he did talk to himself on the phone). Plus, his claims of the Organization working in the background makes him sound like a delusional man: Just what is the Organization all about, anyway?

One thing I know is, the show is all about time traveling. I'll give more time for this show to prove to me that it's worth staying on.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
2:

I haven't watched an anime yet that has caused me to get so lost. Not so much the story, I'm getting to grips with that, but I can't fathom the main character. I've come to the conclusion that he is being serious about "The Organization" that he believes is following him, but he talks about exorcism and the "new super technique" that the '3D girl with a 2D heart' learnt with the same voice and mannerisms, when he obviously doesn't believe in them then. Were'd he even get paranoid about being targeted in the first place, or is he actually taking the piss?

On to the story, it's developing slowly. There wasn't any building up of the mystery for most the episode until the very end where we had 'The Teleported Gel Banana', which cause me to laugh for quite a while. The tension was building up throughout the episode (possibly) and then the climax: "Where the **** did that banana go?"

Two highlights of this episode were Rintarō Okabe thinking to himself about the trap "...but he's a guy", and Kurisu Makise taking the piss out of Rintarō and putting extra emphasis on 'Hōōin'. Made me smile.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »
Ep 2

Teleporting bananas?  Maybe these were the types of experiments they did in Academy City before they figured out how to make teleporting people.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:47 AM »
2:

DROPPED.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not dropping this show because it's horrible. It's because I have way too many shows to follow for this season, and something about this doesn't click with me. In other words, I don't feel compelled to follow this series. Maybe it's the drab content, maybe it's the characters that I don't think I can relate with anytime soon, maybe it's the weird storyline. I'll pick this show up again when I have the time.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
3:

This would be a lot better if the protagonist was less crazy, he annoys me as I feel he's holding back the plot because he doesn't make much sense and he drags the people around him into his erratic flow. Anyway the plot has started moving more, which is good as it's about time, and I am starting to like the characters more.

Did the subbers misspell CERN as SERN, or is it called SERN in the anime? I found it unbelievable that anyone who was a scientist, even a crazy one like the protagonist would not know what CERN was. It's one of the most famous science projects ever. It's well known in this country even to the general populace (though that's down to the whole "The LHC is going to create a MASSIVE BLACK HOLE THAT WILL DESTROY THE EARTH when it's switched on next Wednesday - AARRRRGGGHHHHH" headline that was common in the tabloids). I suspect it's so they could explain it to the audience who wouldn't necessarily know, but making Rintarō the one that needed explaining to was bad, they should have made it the girl.

Anyway, it's improving (slowly).

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
@Fumoffu - Don't quote me on this, but 'apparently' it was changed from CERN to SERN in the VN. Unfortunately, I don't remember the source, so I can't really elaborate much about it either.

I'm not sure whether I'm blessed or cursed to have never heard of Chaos;Head prior to this series (although judging from the reactions, it's the former). Nevertheless, I really enjoy the dark atmosphere of the series, and I'm somewhat relieved that the plot has finally picked up some of its pacing by the third episode. While the anime hasn't done anything disastrous so far, what seems to be screenshots from the VN in various imageboards make me worry that this may turn out to be a disappointment. While most characters aren't bad/terrible, Feiris has been pissing the hell out of me in the second episode.

Either way, I'll most likely stay on the ride, as long as it doesn't crap on itself.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:53:10 AM by HirakuNoShadow »

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Having just watched ep 2 and 3 to catch up, I'm liking the mixture of comedic and serious aspects very much indeed and I find myself eagerly anticipating the release of the next episode so more information can be released. Unlike Fumoffu, I actually like the insane aspect of his character, I think it acts as a good foil for the other main characters to bounce off of. Mayushii is endearing herself well to me as well. :)

Offline Horsechoker

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 05:33:50 AM »
After watching 4 eps, i decided to put this on hold.  Neither the plot nor the characters are interesting and its like im forcing myself to watch it for a payoff that might not come. Ill wait until this finishes airing and see if its worth watching then.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All   Go Up