Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 12:27:54 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Japan Hit By Biggest Earthquake in its History  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Japan Hit By Biggest Earthquake in its History
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
I'm not surprised that the number has skyrocketed. In tsunamis, bodies begin to wash ashore as the water recedes; this was the case in the Christmas Tsunami back in '04 as well. Grizzly, but unfortunately true.

Secondly, there's no risk of a nuclear meltdown or any sort of large-scale disaster. If anyone would like to learn more about this, I'd like to direct you here:

http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/13/fukushima-simple-explanation/

Though the explosions are rather troubling and reflect a lack of accountability and transparency on TEPCO's part, they are not serious. I can only hope that scaremongering doesn't kill off new nuclear power plants. If anything, it's disgusting that the media is so obsessed with two nuclear reactors when there are thousands dying from non-nuclear related calamity just nearby.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »
Akira, by now you should be fairly cynical to people with agendas using any event or excuse to push their beliefs into the open forum.  Doesn't matter how unethical or shameful it is to use the misery and suffering of an entire nation to your advantage, as the ends justify the means with these jackals.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
Yeah, definitely, but it doesn't make it any less repulsive.

Keep those donations coming--- the big crunch is coming up. What's going to happen when supermarkets are empty and gas pumps are dry?
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
I think the long term problems are much more dire.  Japan was already in a bit of a debt crisis, and the spending they're going to have to do to replace infrastructure and the loss of those power plants is not going to help.  The economic situation will get much worse and could last decades...
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
This is just a horrible case where everything that could go wrong does. And I was shocked that the media kept on going on about the nuclear reactors, by all means when the crisis is all over you can debate over the safety issues raised, but I concur with Akira, anti-nuclear supporters using this situation to "prove a point" when there are thousands of Japanese washing up on the shore is horrifying. Japan will be in trouble for a long time, well after this crisis is over.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up