Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 03:06:48 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: G-Senjou no Maou  (Read 11091 times)

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

G-Senjou no Maou
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
[

Developer: Akabeisoft2
Publisher: Akabeisoft2
Platform(s): PC
Release date(s): May 29, 2008
Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Romance, Drama
Game Time: 30 Hours
H-Scenes: Yes
VNDB

Description:
Azai Kyousuke might seem like just an aver age stu dent by day, but he is actually the adopted son of the most power­ful Yakuza boss and spends his free time ruth lessly coordinating the family business, working with millions of dollars daily.  One day, a strange girl named Usami Haru trans­fers into his class and accosts Kyousuke for infor­ma­tion about the crim­i­nal mas­ter­mind known only as ‘Maou’. Later that day, Kyousuke receives a chal­lenge mail from ‘Maou’ him­self, and was also ordered by Gonzou to take down ‘Maou’ for tres­pass­ing upon their busi­ness ter­ri­tory. As Kyousuke joins Usami in her hunt for Maou, he soon finds out that Maou’s deadly and venge­ful machi­na­tions are not only directly tar­get­ing him, but also catch­ing his friends and fam­ily in the crossfire. Plotting, political intrigue and layer upon layer of interlocking traps are the weapons in this epic battle of wits.

Comments:
It's quite stunning how I've been a visual novel fan for such a long time while neglecting this title. Now that I've finished it, there is a satisfaction and an emotional turmoil in me that I haven't experienced in a very long time. Make no mistake - this visual novel is one of the best visual novels I've ever played.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of depth put into the scripting, not to mention that the villain "Maou" is voiced by Fukuyama Jun. Just that should already give you an idea of how epic the thriller element to this VN is. It does not lose to Code Geass. You bet I'll be checking out Akb2's other works from here on.

Putting aside the whole VN, Haru's route (true end) is epic beyond words. This VN is more than worth 30 hours of your life. Get playing this instantly!

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

Re: G-Senjou no Maou
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
Just finished this game, and holy crap it's really good. I agree with most of what ImperialX said, and I'll add one more thing, I really enjoyed how at least some of the characters broke out of their stereotypes, particularly Tsubaki. That was actually my favorite arc, just for that reason. That being said, play this game. It is worth your time.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:36:07 AM »
There's a translation of this out? Man, more and more people working on visual novels nowadays. I remember when visual novels were so minor few Western fans knew about them.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:59 AM »
There's a translation of this out? Man, more and more people working on visual novels nowadays. I remember when visual novels were so minor few Western fans knew about them.
Seems all those people who fell in love with anime in the 90s and early 00s have finally finished learnIng Japanese and are providing us with more content.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
Hope that ImperialX or any other person who completed this game sees this.

I was wondering if it is necessary to complete all the other routes before hopping into the (apparently superior) Haru route? I've heard that there are pieces of information that would contribute to my enjoyment of it. Currently at the beginning of Chapter 3 after deciding that I don't like Tsubaki that much after all.

Offline SQA

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »
They'll see it, or you can PM ImperialX.

As to Shadowmage's very old comment, that's pretty much the case.  Plus there was a niche that were rapid VN fans, providing walk throughs to a number of popular games, as far back as 2002.   So it's just that the VNs are less niche in Japan, as well.  Though still pretty niche.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:59:28 AM »
Honestly, don't bother with the individual heroine routes. They are not worth your time, nor do they really add anything to Haru's route. Just skip right over them and move on to Haru's route.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
I personally enjoyed all the routes, but yes, you can just skip them all and do Haru's route.

You can't do the same thing in Sharin no Kuni though.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »
Yeah, you "can" skip the routes, but I do feel something is lost by doing that. No, they aren't as good as Haru's route, but they do provide more insight into some of the characters that you wouldn't get otherwise. It also gives the story more emotional weight in the final goings IMO.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »
Well... if you do decide to play the routes regardless, I suggest playing them after you beat Haru's route. Or at least don't play Mizuha's route, as a plot twist will be spoiled that way and it is much better revealed during Haru's route.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:10:53 AM »
Seems like the general consensus is that the other routes are not particularly helpful with the enjoyment of the Haru route but can still be enjoyable in their own way. I'll proceed with going for Haru's route first then. Thanks everyone!

Offline Aelms

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 01:46:30 AM »
Just finished it, having went for the Haru end as recommended.

Some thoughts (full of spoilers):

Spoiler for Hiden:
This turned out to be more of a mixed package than I first expected. I have to say that the mystery and revelation of Maou's identity was a pretty damn disappointing. There was something very poetic about Kyousuke being Maou that I really enjoyed; having that revealed to be a red herring and Maou being a newly introduced plot element sucked. Kanon and Mizuha were unimpressive characters (haven't really touched their routes though) and I wasn't quite convinced in believing Haru's character. She simply did not feel cohesive enough for me to recognise her as one, which kinda ruined her route a bit.  VA was awesome though.

That being said, the epilogue tied things up beautifully. Everything, up to the sins Kyousuke have committed and the nature of Haru's vengeance was addressed and a bright glimmer of hope was offerred. I can describe how happy I was when I realised that it was not any girl that Haru had given birth to, but to his daughter.

Gonna try out Tsubaki's route after this since the decision point was pretty interesting.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
This turned out to be more of a mixed package than I first expected. I have to say that the mystery and revelation of Maou's identity was a pretty damn disappointing. There was something very poetic about Kyousuke being Maou that I really enjoyed; having that revealed to be a red herring and Maou being a newly introduced plot element sucked. Kanon and Mizuha were unimpressive characters (haven't really touched their routes though) and I wasn't quite convinced in believing Haru's character. She simply did not feel cohesive enough for me to recognise her as one, which kinda ruined her route a bit.  VA was awesome though.

That being said, the epilogue tied things up beautifully. Everything, up to the sins Kyousuke have committed and the nature of Haru's vengeance was addressed and a bright glimmer of hope was offerred. I can describe how happy I was when I realised that it was not any girl that Haru had given birth to, but to his daughter.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There are a lot of debates about the ending of G-Senjou no Maou and whether it was good or not. I'm pretty sure they made the ending turn out like that because most people who are playing the game are expecting Kyousuke to turn out as Maou himself, since the game gave out plenty of hints that was the case. I think they wanted to increase the shock factor with the plot twist that Kyousuke ISN'T Maou after all. As for whether it was good or not...I didn't really mind, since I still enjoyed the VN immensely regardless.

The epilogue and was amazing. It was one of the most beautifully done endings I've seen in a VN, especially the scene where every girl comes to visit him while "Close Your Eyes" is playing in the background, leading onto the part you mentioned.

Gonna try out Tsubaki's route after this since the decision point was pretty interesting.

I strongly recommend reading that ending scene in prison with Haru's route again once you've done the routes with other girls. As Reckoner said, the emotive value will be different.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
Reporting back, having finished the Tsubaki route.

Spoiler for Hiden:
One of the most disappointing things in the story were the sheer number of red herrings. The phone calls with Miki-chan in particular was something that I anticipated to be highly relevant with Kyousuke and Maou's identity but it turned out to be completely irrelevant. In retrospect,  reading Tsubaki's route first might've helped me anticipate the Kyouhei=Maou twist.

Tsubaki's route really didn't do much for the main story other than giving us a bit of insight about Kyousuke and his mother's relationship and also Gonzou's personality. Pretty disappointing since Maou and Haru plays absolutely no role in it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There are a lot of debates about the ending of G-Senjou no Maou and whether it was good or not. I'm pretty sure they made the ending turn out like that because most people who are playing the game are expecting Kyousuke to turn out as Maou himself, since the game gave out plenty of hints that was the case. I think they wanted to increase the shock factor with the plot twist that Kyousuke ISN'T Maou after all. As for whether it was good or not...I didn't really mind, since I still enjoyed the VN immensely regardless.

The epilogue and was amazing. It was one of the most beautifully done endings I've seen in a VN, especially the scene where every girl comes to visit him while "Close Your Eyes" is playing in the background, leading onto the part you mentioned.

I strongly recommend reading that ending scene in prison with Haru's route again once you've done the routes with other girls. As Reckoner said, the emotive value will be different.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I realised the emotional effect of the prison scene as I was reading it and, as I didn't like any of the female characters other than Tsubaki and Haru, I probably won't feel differently about after reading all their routes. I personally think that it was a horrible move to put so much effort in convincing us that Kyousuke was Maou and revealing otherwise. I was fully expecting a twist where Kyousuke was actually aware of his Maou actions, since some hints were pointing in that direction.

Since I can't really see my impressions about the game changing significantly at this point, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the read. My expectations coming in were high since I liked Sharin no Kuni a lot and the first few chapters were engrossing enough to keep me reading with anticipation. However, the writing wasn't as strong as I expected and many plot elements were clearly superfluous and only distracted from the main story. I would've left this game with a bad taste in my mouth if it wasn't for the sheer strength of its ending, which I can only agree with ImperialX in saying that it's one of the best endings I have seen in any story-telling medium.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
Honestly...

Spoiler for Hiden:
It would be bad writing if they did pull off the ending you wanted because it logically makes no sense in the story. Kyousuke is too young and he's doing too many things in the city for that to ever make sense.

Also Maou did so many evil things in the story that a romance between Haru and Maou would have felt utterly detestable. Hi, I killed your family but you're going to love me anyways? I don't doubt that at some point in the writing they had the idea of Kyousuke being Maou, there are a lot of "hints" that point to that, but I'm pretty sure they changed their mind because of these reasons. I don't think anything is lost by not making Kyousuke Maou. Kyousuke still had his personal journey which I found really meaningful and touching. Haru's story itself, the devil on the G string, did not change either.

I do think that the Mizuha and Kanon routes were not that great, but I think they provided some good character development for Kyousuke, Gonzo, and the girls that would not have otherwise been there.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up