Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 03:07:13 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Infinite Stratos  (Read 59213 times)

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

Infinite Stratos
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »
1:

My candidate for my mediocre show of the season, this show had a crappy opening episode, which was mostly filled with setup and the same old comedy situations. The characters are stereotypes, I still don't understand the main character at all, and there was a lot of poorly done exposition and dialogue. The fights seem like Strike Witches without lolis, which looked fairly nice.

The only reason that I'm going to watch this show is the setting. It would be interesting if there's any contrast between a female and male dominated society, and hopefully will also explain why the hell only females can ride the mechs besides just a contrived plot device. If they actually flesh it out, it may actually validate this show's existence. Or it won't. So we will see.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:43:51 PM by The Big Guy »
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

Re: Infinite Stratos
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Another "to remain nameless" website called it "the least original" series ever, which would seem to take some doing.  I don't have any problem with harem anime at this point of my viewing career, but I have an aversion to "mech".  It is not that I can't watch them, I just won't unless there is a large amount of money deposited in my bank account ahead of time.  Which leaves "mech" anime off my list, though I will take PayPal.  The screen caps I've seen of the series opener look to be okay but C grade (basic commercial grade animation) artwork.  I will admit, as a fan of fanservice, it was nice to see the girls getting suited up in swimsuits for their "mechs". 

I'm very likely to skip this series completely and look for something deeper and more fulfilling like "Yumekui Merry".  Ode to a belly button!
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »
Lifted straight from my twitter:

Not bad. Animation Budget > Somalian GDP. Cute girls. About as exploitative as Xenoglossia. B.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:13:47 AM »
1:

When you already have the first episode entitled "Classmates are all Females It's a Harem Show", it immediately wants to inform its disclaimer: it's gonna be mediocre. The show isn't gonna cut it, and I'm not expecting anything much from it.

There are a number of things that are off about IS. The big question: Why do armor suits depend on the pilot's gender? In fact, since when do they depend on whether you're a dude or a chick? The show (or at least the first episode) doesn't explain why, and I don't think it will bother to explain it coherently either. It's just an excuse to dump a male lead in an all-female environment, thus setting up a situation full of incoming hijinks.

IS doesn't hesitate to show that the characters will not be anything but unique: a tsundere chilhood friend-cum-kendo fighter, a queen bee/bitch, a meganekko, etc. More cliché characters to be expected.

But worse, the premises look weird. I don't really get the design of the IS suits: heavy artillery on the limbs but minimal armor on the torso? It defeats common sense for an armor suit. And it's odd that this show's mecha has Strike Witches-vibes surrounding it.

Something tells me that this show is going from mediocre to retarded.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:33:55 AM »
The mecha only responding to females is, as Akira said, reminiscent of Idol Master Xenglossia, but that had a reason behind it (slightly bizarre reason but it was admirably done). I doubt, given the Harem premise (I am not a fan of Harem shows at all usually) that there will be a good reason for this. It could hardly be the same reason as in Idol Master Xenglossia, because otherwise, with the whole premise of a male being able to use it, brings up the prospect of gay mecha's, which is not an attractive prospect.

Edit: Also, as someone from England the character Cecilia Alcott (The representative contender student for England) pissed me off incredibly. Talking about class etc. and being a total elitist bitch in general... Grrrrrrrr.... It's making me rage.

Anyway, this is seemingly going to be a mediocre show, the harem so far isn't terrible, and the main character is less annoying than some harem characters I have seen. They are all cliché's though, and I feel like I have seen the exact characters before.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:06:29 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »
As one who hasn't watched Idol Master Xenglossia yet, I wouldn't know. Still, something tells me that there won't be any deep or sufficient explanation for this. The point is, nothing about IS is telling me that it's good. The animation is good, but that's about it.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
It's not a good thing when the only thing I enjoyed was the fight scene at the beginning.

Granted, I expected it to be mediocre from the get go, and I'm wondering why I even picked up the first episode when I'm prone to avoiding these kind of shows. At least the male isn't a spineless wimp.

And I was definitely most peeved by the handicap scene. For one thing, this "war between men and women would end in 3 days" point only makes sense if a very large portion of the female population could control ISes, as we do still wage wars with ground troops where the average male would still be dominant over the average female. Saying that is equivalent to giving everyone a tank and then saying "we can beat your silly ground troops that charge right at the tanks." I also don't have a problem with matriarchal dominance in fiction, but it's not very likely to be through brute power. The patriarchal society of today largely stems from the unfortunate fact that extending power and influence in the old days (and still is true now due to the very nature of war) came from beating up other people to take their land and rule over them. A shift to equilibrium or even female dominance means society would need to change its judgment of power and influence (we're getting there with commerce and intelligence, but we're still a long way from throwing off prejudices) or a huge swing of brute power in favor of the female gender in the natural state of society. And even if we disregard the flawed validity of the statement and assume it's true, it's completely irrelevant in this case because the guy can pilot an IS too, removing any so called disadvantage he has. Throw in the fact that this looks like a setup for the very typical and misogynistic "girls are dominant until there's this one special guy who beats all of them so they become submissive to him," and that scene just becomes a wall banger. Just say she's top of the class or something, would have been far more believable going by what we've seen. Now all this thinking has gotten me to think it's the exact opposite; the males are exploiting the females for sport and backup military force in case anything goes awry and are waving away the implications by claiming it gives females power. /toomuchlogicgiventoacrappyharemshow

Hmm, that reaction was a bit overblown, but it was the visceral one when I saw that scene. Maybe I don't watch enough bad harem.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
From reading what Elineas said, added to what I already thought, I've come to the conclusion that this is really really sexist.

Basically, the girls think they have all the power, but fortunately for mankind, there exists a male who can operate an IS, and who is stronger than all of the female users, so he can beat down the bitches and put them in their place.

I thought this show might try to make something out of women having the power, but now, reading what Elineas has read, I realise fully how misogynist this is, if there are machines that only women can use, ban them from combat, and degrade the worth of these gender-dependent machines so that they are only entertainment.

Hmm, that reaction was a bit overblown, but it was the visceral one when I saw that scene. Maybe I don't watch enough bad harem.

I think that was a fair reaction to have, I'm still raging about Cecilia Alcott after all. The insult about England's food I'm fine with, it's true anyway. However, having some elitist brat who goes on about class, and then about how great England is compared to the rest of the world (when she is supposed to be representing a British person) causes me to rage... No character has annoyed me this much apart from Makoto Itou from School Days and Nina Einstein with her xenophobia in Code Geass R1

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »
1:

The graphics are as expected: fairly average. Nothing spectacular to see here. The characters are generic, and it's shaping up like any other harems. However, the concept of the IS is a fresh idea (aside from Strike Witches), and I will look forward to the upcoming duel. I can't see our protagonist losing though, since that would go against the formula of these type of shows...xD

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
I've seen anime exclude females from piloting mechas out of dubious reasons (Pilot Candidate), so I'm not surprised that someone decided to switch this dynamic around.  The thing is that this anime has already been created at least twice between Sky Girls and Strike Witches.  

Quote from: Fumoffu!!
From reading what Elineas said, added to what I already thought, I've come to the conclusion that this is really really sexist.
What harem anime is not sexist?

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
I've seen anime exclude females from piloting mechas out of dubious reasons (Pilot Candidate), so I'm not surprised that someone decided to switch this dynamic around.  The thing is that this anime has already been created at least twice between Sky Girls and Strike Witches. 

Quote from: Fumoffu!!
What harem anime is not sexist?

Well, all harem shows are really sexist, but this show is really really sexist. Most Harem shows are usually sexist because all the girls need some man to rely upon, and are weak or incompetent, or they are all chasing the main character or they're all sexual obje... blah blah... In this though, it goes out it's way to show that women need to rely on a man and the general setting is sexist. Since a weapon 'occurred' that could only be used by females,it was banned from war, and was degraded so it's only function was to serve as entertainment. If you think about it, that's horrendously sexist. The irony of the scene where all the girls are laughing because is there was a war between men and women it would last 3 days, and the "girls" think they are superior, just before the are shown that actually a man is stronger when he beats down one of the strongest girls next week (come on, who here doesn't believe that won't happen) and puts the girls in their places. This is just male domination.

Phew... this show has caused several rants for a first episode, and I'm surprised I'd be this coerced into writing so much about sexism. Anyway, main point, yes, harem shows are all sexist, or maybe even really sexist, but this show is really really sexist. I'll try and refrain from ranting in later weeks.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
Ya'll need to chill and just watch as Protagonist hands English Bitch-chan her just deserts.

****in' women, thinking they can go outside of the kitchen.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:15:36 AM »
1:

Hoo boy.

It's appropriate that Elineas did his recent blog post on consistency and such.  The ability of a the viewer to suspend disbelief does require the three aspects he mentioned, but unfortunately for me, they require one more aspect:  A bit of ****ing reality.

This could be just me, since I'm fairly cynical towards anime these days, but I really wish Japan would knock it off with idyllic futures.  The Japanese manage to invent some truly impressive advanced mecha system and in the same history lesson we're told that a treaty was signed that says no military is allowed to use it.

What?  How stupid do you think I am?  First of all, we know there's going to be combat involving the damned things, we saw it earlier, and we see it in the preview.  So even if it's only allowed to be used for sports competitions, we know that there is at least some combative function for the damned things.  Second of all, this isn't a nuclear weapon.  Even if it's so badass that it changes the scope of warfare, it's still just a god damned single person combat machine.  Unless we're talking weapon of mass destruction like the "Turn A" Gundam, I fail to see why any government would willingly sign an accord that bans the military application of what is basically just a glorified suit of powered armor.  What?  Some sexist bullshit about female combat pilots since women are the only ones who can pilot it?  We have those now.

So why am I supposed to believe in this universe at all when it childishly can't even handle a simple concept such as "the military is gonna pervert it for their own use"?  Grow up and deal with reality, ****ers.  It's probably happening anyway, which may be a plot point later in the show, but just the idea that we're supposed to be led to believe that the world makes nice nice with the shiny new toy makes me gag on my own vomit.

God, even Patlabor wasn't this retarded.

Next, drop the idea of an "exclusive teaching academy".  It's beyond insulting.  It's a cheap and easy way to create the school environment without being lame and actually having the setting BE a high school.  There wouldn't be only one academy.  Every ****ing country would have their own schools dedicated to training their own students.  What, Olympic athletes don't train for dozens of years in their own countries before heading out for the grand competitions?  And stop putting it in Japan, having everybody speak Japanese, and having the majority of the students be Japanese.  If you truly want to create this concept of an "international environment" ACT LIKE IT.

Oh, and the "only females can pilot the IS system" is about the most obviously bogus ****ing piece of convenience you've ever used (twice, Xenoglossia), but like Elineas said, if you're going to create that limitation, don't break your own ****ing rules 5 minutes into the show.  When the only male pilot does not understand why he's the only male pilot, you're pissing me off.  If this really was a big deal, as the episode seems to lead us to believe, he'd have been inundated with questions, interviews, research studies, etc.  Hypothetical comment:  let's say that a turkey... a common old ordinary destined to be Thanksgiving Dinner turkey... one day just up and used a can opener.  Never seen a can opener in it's life, but it just uses it.  What do you think would happen to that turkey?  If you answered "put it into a special classroom for the practical use of can openers" you're a ****ing dipstick.  That turkey would be studied by every zoologist and psychologist on the planet until it died of old age (or someone got hungry).  When Einstein died, they dissected his brain to see if they could discover what creates genius.  We take our anomalies and study them, to see if we can make more anomalies.  By the time we're done, the anomaly would pretty much know why it's a ****ing anomaly.

Nah, let it go to school with ten thousand girls.  It'll be funny!

And... get this... I haven't even started bitching about the actual show yet.  This is just setting information.  I can already safely say this after only absorbing this much information:

**** you, Infinite Stratos.  You suck.  You're a shitty concept that is in more need of an abortion than a pregnant thirteen year old black chick.  Don't try to fool me with pretty fight scenes rendered on laptops, I can see you for what you are: 

Shit.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 07:34:04 AM »
I like this show, because it brings everyone here together. The fact that it brings us together to rant and rage until our fingers are sore from typing is just a minor, inconsequential detail.

Offline Thot

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 08:07:28 AM »
****in' women, thinking they can go outside of the kitchen.
This.

.. except, well, he still gets the usual treatment. No matter how sexist the setup may be, that still pales in comparison to the constant 'rape me' aura that dude is emitting. It's not nearly as pronounced as in other similar shows, but still. 'Oh god I've seen hear wearing nothing but a towel, so of course I'll let her beat me up'. Not to mention the constant ass-rape he gets from his big sister.
It would be great to see a show that really is sexist, for once. Like, exchange that dude with one from Mazinkaiser SKL - now that could get sexist.

Apart from that, it's nothing great, but still kind of enjoyable. Let's see where they take this (yeah, right).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up