Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 12:25:35 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BlazBlue: Alter Memory  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

BlazBlue: Alter Memory
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
1: Oh, God.

I knew this wasn't going to go over well, I mean, you probably couldn't put the first game into 12 episodes. You would have to put at least 16 episodes into it for it to work, at least. The first game, that is. The second one would be a cluster**** that would be around 30 episodes at the very smallest. I mean, there's a large amount of world building and character building that goes into it. And considering how many parallel storylines there are for each character that are actually relevant to the overarching story, it would take a while before you could make a good anime. You would have to probably go through the series Higurashi style to pull it off correctly.

And yet, they're putting not one, but TWO games into these 12 episodes. What the ****.

Now it looks like a shounen bullshit cluster**** that makes zero sense.

Oh, by the way, they should at least be a LITTLE subtle about the first game's spoilers. I mean, come on.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Wait, but we've never met before."
Really? I mean, haven't the anime studios learned from hearing that line at least fifty times in other shows? Shouldn't it be obvious at this point that this means the world's in a timeloop? Come on!

On another note, you'd think some characters would be able to recognize a man with, I don't know, a 9 billion dollar bounty. Especially someone from the FREAKING MILITARY.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:47:08 PM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline hyperknees91

Re: BlazBlue: Alter Memory
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »
Another fighting game anime adaption, another failure in sight.

You know I find it ironic the only enjoyable fighting game anime I've ever seen was virtua fighter, the fighting game with no plot.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:55:48 PM »
Another fighting game anime adaption, another failure in sight.

You know I find it ironic the only enjoyable fighting game anime I've ever seen was virtua fighter, the fighting game with no plot.

The ironic thing here is that BlazBlue's games actually have some pretty interesting plot points.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »
Ironic indeed. I think the fighting game, while has it's fans, is a little too niche to dedicate much time and effort to. Obviously this just seems like fanservice, but now I'm kinda glad guilty gear never got an anime.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »
Ironic indeed. I think the fighting game, while has it's fans, is a little too niche to dedicate much time and effort to. Obviously this just seems like fanservice, but now I'm kinda glad guilty gear never got an anime.

Gungrave will always be the only good non-VN video game adaptation, it seems.

Offline Aeshma

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
I understand lack of budget. Thatīs fine. A shitty script, not so much. 

Nobody bothers introducing or explaining anything. Who are these characters? What are they talking about? What is Ragna after? What the **** is going on?

There are two mangas adaptions of Calamity Trigger, so why not adapt one of those instead? This version wonīt even bother pretending Hazama is not a bad guy. It wonīt even bother pretending Noel might not be Ragnaīs long lost sister. It gives everything away, just like that.

Fighting games adaption donīt necessarily have to be shit. I liked the Street Fighter 2 anime movie. I enjoyed the Tekken cg movie. This is pretty awful.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
2: Since most of you haven't played the game, I'm just letting you guys know that we've already reached the climax of the first game. I'm not kidding. It was actually pretty neat.

Well, it was neat to me, because it was like watching the best part of Calamity Trigger being animated. However... It made no ****ing sense to you guys, because they developed absolutely ****ing nothing, didn't they? Hell, they didn't even show the fact that Ragna had defeated Hakumen, they just had you guys assume that was what had happened. That's how ****ing lazy this adaptation is. It's like just showing what happens in episode 16 of Clannad After Story to begin with and finishing the series from there.

For those of you who haven't played the game, tell me, did this make any sense to you guys at ALL?

And having a climax in episode 2 is a no-no.

Budget = *ka-boooom*
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:40:20 AM by Kiniest »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
And I thought Kill la Kill was fast paced.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
7: That was surprisingly good. This might actually be a 5 if it keeps it up. Or maybe that's just memories from the game. Regardless, the best episode so far. I always liked the Tsubaki/Makoto/Noel/Jin complex. Unfortunately, with so much compacting of time, it just doesn't have as much of an impact as it could have. See, this episode is only fantastic because I've played the game.

Offline thesprinkle42

• Classy Elemental
  • Mech and Mecha are two different things.
    • Steam Community :: Bluchurch
    • TheSprinkle Reviews

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
I think that the show really came together in episodes 11 and 12, but that's just me. I certainly think this isn't bad, and personally I really liked this show. 

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »
This show was a mess. BlazBlue is pretty convoluted on its own, and the only thing that kept the game's story standing was that there was so much detail to all the characters and the world around them. This show skimps far too much important detail to be enjoyable to anyone who isn't a fan to the video game franchise. Because of that, the show comes off as an even more convoluted story, except it's impossible to make out any of the plot threads past its basic shounen level. Thus, it's very boring to most of the people here. I imagine I was the only one here who actually finished this show.

Offline thesprinkle42

• Classy Elemental
    • TheSprinkle Reviews

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »
I played the game so this probably colored my opinion of it without me even noticing.

Offline thesprinkle42

• Classy Elemental
    • TheSprinkle Reviews

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »
No, three of my friends who haven't played the games agree that this isn't bad. It's pretty decent. It certainly isn't great, but it's not like it's gonna be a classic, but I liked it a lot. Interested in season 2. 

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »
No, three of my friends who haven't played the games agree that this isn't bad. It's pretty decent. It certainly isn't great, but it's not like it's gonna be a classic, but I liked it a lot. Interested in season 2.

There isn't going to be a season 2. This didn't sell very well. Plus, they contradicted the third game in the series too much to continue it, anyways.

Also, "it isn't bad" isn't really an argument. If they could get into it, that's good for them. It's still a very cheap adaptation of two games with cours-loads of content into an unexplored, rushed single cour.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:57:57 PM by Kiniest »

Offline thesprinkle42

• Classy Elemental
    • TheSprinkle Reviews

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
I said it isn't bad because you guys were acting like it was the worst thing ever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up