Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 04:22:19 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Anime-ish Game: Heavenly Sword  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

Favorite Anime-ish Game: Heavenly Sword
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »
One of my very favorite games, exclusive to the PS3, is Heavenly Sword, which is a bit surprising since I am not generally a slice and dice sort of gamer.  Part of my attraction for it is the credible story and excellent graphics.  The primary protagonists are both female: Nariko and Kai.  Nariko is not the gentle girl her name implies, but rather a pouty Asian titian tressed girl with a big sword fixation and a cute, slightly ditzy girlfriend she is, well, very chummy with.  STrong female lead, a bit of covert lesbian attraction, lots of swords, some well acted bad boys.  What is not to like in this game? 

A lot of live action capture was used in creating the animation, some pretty serious actors voicing the characters and for us FPS types, Kai's crossbow with 'after-touch' steering for arrow shots is well, even better than sniping on MGS4. There is a bit of artsy prequel video to be unlocked during the game play.  Artwork and conception art becomes available too. 

Now, since I am not a slice and dicer, all the sword combos that are unlocked by various key combo mashing is rather lost on me.  I got down to three or four effective sequences and stuck with those.  A nimbler player with a taste for that sort of thing would probably find the fighting sequences more interesting.  And as I said, I am a FPS player, so I found the overall game play slightly less interesting than say Killzone 2 or Modern Warfare. But the characters are a lot more fun to look at than unshaven guys running around in fatigues. 

Game: 9 out of 10 (due to the visuals)
Sword Play: 7 out of 10
Crossbow: 10 out of 10 (it doesn't get better, cannonball steering is a bonus too)
Bad Guys: 8 out of 10  (Whiptail, Flying Fox and the evil King Bohan make an interesting trio)
The Masses: 7 out of 10  (sufficient amount of cannon fodder)
Good Guys: 9 out of 10 (Good Gals actually and pleasantly affectionate toward each other, plus Kai eats worms, what's not to love?)
Internal Conflict: 9 out of 10 (Some nice cognitive dissonance for Nariko and Daddy ... non-incestuous discord)
Average Rating: 8 out of 10 (based on multiple independent Game Rating Sites)

If I didn't own a PS3 before, I would have had to buy one to play this. At one point a sequel was in the works but it tanked due to corporate conflicts so this is a one time, stand-alone game.  All the more precious for it. King Bohan is voiced by Andy Serkis, who was the game's Dramatic Director, better known for his work as Gollum in the Lord of the Rings movies.  Nariko is voiced by Australian actress Anna Torv. Kai, my favorite damaged kitten, was aptly done by Lydia Baksh. If you have a PS3, grab a copy.

Released: 2007
Developer: Ninja Theory
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.
Pages: [1]   Go Up