Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:41:16 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FAQ Thread  (Read 6962 times)

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

FAQ Thread
« on: December 23, 2010, 05:07:02 PM »
I thought this might be useful, and I have a question of my own to ask: how do you get a picture in your signature? I tried copying a picture and an URL for a picture, but neither worked. Am I doing it wrong, or is there a way I didn't realise?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: FAQ Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
I'm surprised the "Help" page in the menu doesn't answer this.  BB codes should work.  Moving this thread to the correct place.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »
Thanks

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
This is as good a thread as any to dump my tinkerings into.

I have to apologize to all regular members.  I thought I had custom titles enabled for everyone.  I do now, so go nuts.  Also, you now have access to server stored avatars, but that doesn't matter so much, since most people upload their own anyway.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
First of all, seems my profile picture no longer works (though it may just be my browser or computer), is this due to the file type? if so, which file type is the one to use?

Secondly, where do you get the pictures that you people often use in the forum threads, in fact a more appropriate question is how you do it.

Anyway, thanks.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »
First of all, seems my profile picture no longer works (though it may just be my browser or computer), is this due to the file type? if so, which file type is the one to use?

Secondly, where do you get the pictures that you people often use in the forum threads, in fact a more appropriate question is how you do it.

Anyway, thanks.
If you mean the image of Souma you're currently using as an avatar, it seems OK to me.  I was having a whole heap of database problems with the site last night, so perhaps it was effected by that.

As for your second question, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "forum threads", since your forum avatar is used in forum threads.  If you're talking about the blog, you need to use a Gravatar.  Simply create an account with the same email you use to make comments on blogs, upload an image, and it'll become your effective avatar on all blogs that use Wordpress.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »

Anyway, thanks.
If you mean the image of Souma you're currently using as an avatar, it seems OK to me.  I was having a whole heap of database problems with the site last night, so perhaps it was effected by that.

As for your second question, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "forum threads", since your forum avatar is used in forum threads.  If you're talking about the blog, you need to use a Gravatar.  Simply create an account with the same email you use to make comments on blogs, upload an image, and it'll become your effective avatar on all blogs that use Wordpress.

I question I meant to ask was "which site did you get the snapshots of the episodes from?" or "how do you get the snapshots of the series in discussion into your post?"

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »
Oh that.  Almost any media player can take screenshots.  If you're using Windows Media Player, I believe it's Ctrl+I.  I prefer Media Player Classic with CCCP.  I believe the default in that is Alt+I, but I like to assign one button for screenshotting and have screens save automatically into a certain folder.  That way if I see something screenshot worthy, I can just press a button without interrupting the video.

For uploading screenshots, there's a variety of different of different image hosting sites you can use.  I like to use Twitpic when I want to post a screenshot on Twitter, and Imageshack for everything else since it makes nice little thumbnails.  It's generally a good idea to use thumbnails if you're posting more than three or four screens in one post, otherwise it becomes annoying to navigate.  Also, where possible, avoid posting screens that are so wide that they stretch tables.  I'm pretty sure if you use
Code: [Select]
[img=450]http://yourimageurl.jpg[/img]instead of just
Code: [Select]
[img][/img]tags, it'll reduce your image so it'll only be 450px wide, which is a reasonable size.  Also, for screenshots, .jpg is the preferred format (or .gif if it's animated).  .png is discouraged because most video is compressed anyway, so it's pointless to use a lossless format.  You can compare .png and .jpg screenshots that are almost identical by eye, and the .png file will often be up to 20 times larger in filesize.  Just be careful, since some media players use .png as their default screenshot format (like VLC, for instance).  On that topic, VLC isn't really recommended.  It can be a really poor subtitle renderer.

Offline Mystlord

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
You know what this forum needs? A quick reply button. I don't want to load up a new page every time I try to make a post. ~_~

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »
You know what this forum needs? A quick reply button. I don't want to load up a new page every time I try to make a post. ~_~
Ah, that's actually a setting for individual users.  Go to "Profile", click "Look and Layout Preferences" and the option is second from the bottom.  Admittedly, it is buried in a not-so-obvious place.

I might see about changing the default setting for it.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:34:09 PM »
@sorrow-kun

I've been meaning to say this for a while, but you might want to update you signature, especially the 2009 year in review bit. It isn't anything big, just thought I'd mention it.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
Those are such a pain to keep up with.  Considering it's on his own site, though, it really seems unnecessary.  Might as well just get rid of it.  He (and others) keep their sigs updated on other sites, where traffic might actually come from...
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
You may have noticed a new default theme. I changed themes because the old default theme broke when I updated the forum. I've also added a few other alternatives that you can use by selecting them in the usual manner (Profile -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme).  Also, if the forum isn't showing the right time (top right corner), you can correct it by clicking "(auto detect)" next to "Time Offset".

One of the features the updated forum has is the ability to add custom profile fields.  I've already added support for Twitter, MAL and Anime-Planet (you can see my own Twitter and MAL icons underneath my avatar in this post).  I'll also be adding Skype (although this one isn't so trivial, as far as I can tell), Google+ and, if there's demand for it, Facebook and Youtube.  What other networks/communities would you guys like to have profile fields for?

Also, if there are any other issues you guys have noticed with the new forum software/theme(s), feel welcome to point them out in this thread.

Edit: I also want to mention that you can turn on "Quick Reply" on the Look and Layout page.  It's the second last option.  Not many people realize this, largely because SMF has chosen a horribly obscure place to put the option.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 04:14:48 AM »
I can't seem to offset the time, nor can I change to alternative theme. Can't even see the (Profile -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme) anymore for some reason...

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 04:40:45 AM »
I can't see a link back to the Nihon Review from here, it's simple to just go back and everything, but I thought I'd point it out.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up