Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:58:30 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Menu Bar  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

Forum Menu Bar
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
My problem, small though it is, has to do with site navigation, specifically from the forum. When you come upon The Nihon Review (dot com) you are given a menu bar that lets you visit Reviews, Staff, Forum, Staff Blog, and so forth.  Click on Staff Blog (as I did recently to many's discombobulation) and you have a menu bar that gives you Home About Nihon Review and Forum.  One can travel back and forth.  But the forum is a dark hole.  Once you click on it, you are here.  No easy back, no obvious way out.  Yes, I know the "back arrow" of my browser.  And if I use it quickly, all is well.  But should one become entranced or simply involved with the various topics here, then want to run over and see if an anime or movie that is being discussed here has been reviewed, it is no-no, no go.

So please consider revamping your menu selection for the forum.  Let a visitor extract themselves from the forum and go to Nihon Review home page where they can once more avail themselves of the wonders to be found dangling from the other branches of your tree.

Mesachie   
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Forum Menu Bar
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:15:49 AM »
I like to describe the layout of this site the same way I do with Boston's roads: it made perfect sense when we first built it, but as we added stuff on , it became a complete cluster****. As for the forum thing, even I'm surprised that it went unnoticed for as long as it has.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
I guess the problem is that there's essentially two links to the main forum page.  "Home" in the menu bar and "The Nihon Review Forum" in the navigation bar both point to the same place.  The common sense answer would be to turn one of those into a link to the front page.  I'll have a look around when I have a moment and see what I can do.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
Unfortunately SMF seems to be pretty limited as far as menu customization goes.  I had to make hard edits to the main theme, but I replaced the "Home" link (which is arguably redundant) with a link to the front page.  I also added an IRC chat link to the menu and (hopefully) made it a little more obvious when people receive new PMs.  It's not exactly the neatest menu in the world, but I'll leave it for now.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:17:15 AM »
You think navigating from forum menu bar is hard, try logging in to comment on the news feed.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 02:00:14 AM »
Hey, thank you very much.  I can now bail out when necessary.  Or hover and click open tab if I want to keep a forum page open while heading back to find a review or check staff info.  Much, much easier. 
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:19:46 AM »
I would like to request that we add a link to BtNHRV from the forums so people can access both if they want. Although you can argue it's easy to access BtNHRV from the NHRV main page, I think a direct link would help integrate the three areas of our website more.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
I would like to request that we add a link to BtNHRV from the forums so people can access both if they want. Although you can argue it's easy to access BtNHRV from the NHRV main page, I think a direct link would help integrate the three areas of our website more.
I'll do it when I can find the time.  The current menu bar is starting to get a little packed, so I want to implement it as a drop down menu below the "NHRV" link.  I... err... just don't know how to make drop down menus right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up