Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 04:10:03 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting anime  (Read 43207 times)

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Starting anime
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
This is kind of a cop-out, but presumably you're trying to introduce a friend, and you should have a decent idea of what your friends like and do not like, which should allow you to choose accordingly.

I guess there are good guidelines for what not to choose:
* anime with too many anime-inside-jokes (zetsubou sensei im so looking at you)
* anime with excessive fanservice (unless you think your friend will be totally into that shit, but its sort of a common misconception of anime so most likely if he hasnt found it hes not into it)
* I'm sure there's more.  For example I wouldn't really suggest anything kind of polarizing (e.g. haruhi).  But, lazy.

The most important is to not think of your favorite anime or what got you into it but what you think your friend wants.  I can't emphasize this enough.  No one likes being impressed upon.

(As for myself, it was Evangelion, and then I lost interest and a few years later it was Cowboy Bebop)

Offline KS

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:11 AM »
Can't go wrong with Attack on Titan. It's the only anime show I know that all my friends are watching and enjoying regardless of whether they even enjoy or regularly watch anime.  Its one of those really rare gateway anime you get once every few years maybe that is exciting enough,  not to entrenched in odd anime tropes and arguably well produced enough to get average people interested.

Offline jtan93

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
Can't go wrong with Attack on Titan. It's the only anime show I know that all my friends are watching and enjoying regardless of whether they even enjoy or regularly watch anime.  Its one of those really rare gateway anime you get once every few years maybe that is exciting enough,  not to entrenched in odd anime tropes and arguably well produced enough to get average people interested.

Haha, second that. Finally got my brother to watch something outside of One Piece and Naruto with AoT. After that he finally got interested and I followed up with Psycho Pass and Zetsuen no Tempest. But he is still fairly "mainstream?", in that he prefers more action and plot-driven anime, something has to be moving on the screen or he'll press the fastforward button lol.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
When in doubt, cowboy bebop or samurai champloo.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »
I always run with Steins;Gate, literally everybody who I've told to watch it did and loved it
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline thesprinkle42

• Classy Elemental
  • Mech and Mecha are two different things.
    • Steam Community :: Bluchurch
    • TheSprinkle Reviews

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »
I'm probably going to be an outlier here, but I'd say something that showcases what Anime can do that no other medium can, so something like NGE or Last Exile. Also, I'm not really qualified to give advice as I only just got into anime a few months ago, but that's what I think.

Offline Wervelf

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
Eyeshield 21 its filled it action-comedy. Its sports anime based on American Football

Offline CNile

• Reviewer
  • I'm a very gifted post-cognitive.
    • CNile's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with CNile_ using Skype

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
          Considering the sheer number of anime that have been made (In the neighborhood of 7,000), there are ostensibly dozens of excellent gateway series. There are to my mind, however, two anime that stand head and shoulders above the rest in terms of getting a good feel of what anime can do well, and what it can be if done correctly: Those two are Cowboy Bebop and the original Fullmetal Alchemist. Cowboy Bebop is good as a gateway anime because A) it's almost perfect, and B) it's very western, so it's no hard pill to swallow for western audiences. I say Fullmetal Alchemist because it is a good example of the kind of action, melodrama, character development and story that anime does best.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

Offline L-sama

• Can I Have Your Autograph?
  • Normal is relative

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
This is kind of a cop-out, but presumably you're trying to introduce a friend, and you should have a decent idea of what your friends like and do not like, which should allow you to choose accordingly.

Agreed. A prime example...a friend of mine had never seen an anime series in her life. She loved books (She's a librarian now), so the first series that came to mind was Read Or Die...worked like a charm.

If you don't have the luxury of that kind of knowledge, however, then there's always the aforementioned default of Bebop. If you want to go a little off the beaten path while staying as "American" as possible, there's always Black Lagoon (Or as I like to call it, "If Michael Bay & Quentin Tarantino Made An Anime")

Offline Wadoud

• k7of's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »
Death Note, Fullmetal Alchmist, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass and Attack on Titan all seem like nice Gateway anime in my opinion since they're exciting enough and short enough to get anyone interested in watching more anime.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2015, 04:13:15 AM »
Don't really like most of these, but if you want to get "into" anime, I'd recommend them to just about anyone regardless of taste:

Cowboy Bebop
Clannad
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Mobile Suit Gundam
Azumanga Daioh
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Akira
Kare Kano
Aria
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Spirited Away
Tenchi Muyo
Fist of the North Star
Natsume Yuujinchou
FLCL
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:29:55 AM by Mr. Flawfinder »
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
Welcome to funland, MRFF.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:59 AM »
Welcome to funland, MRFF.

I already feel out of place, but thanks man.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
dawg we jus like anybody i swear it on me mum
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2015, 07:17:33 AM »
My gateway anime was Yuyu Hakusho but it does not seem to age well so I will recommend Gurren Laggan or Clannad in case a newbie will ask me.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up