Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 06:58:29 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting anime  (Read 43256 times)

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

Starting anime
« on: May 08, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »
Again this another old thread but still..

So what anime would you reccomend people who are starting off watch? Please, no spam. Just post your anime and reasons why.

Stickied, but if I see any spam, I'll tear it down. And where's your suggestion? - Pheld

Here it is, sorry  :o , please forgive me o almighty Pheld  :D  

I would have to say Outlaw Star, for a number of reasons.

1: Its not too long so it won't deter newbies (its only 26, 1/2 hour episodes)
2: Its has an action packed storyline which rarely let up.
3: Its mixes comedy in sucessfully as well (Hot Springs Episode).
4: And finally it scored highly in the AMG reviews
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 03:13:13 PM by AnimeGenesis »

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Starting anime
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 05:49:21 PM »
Honestly, if I were starting someone at a young age, I'd show them DBZ; only for the fact that kids are all hyper, and DBZ would calm them down, but give them the action their hyperactivity desires.

For an older crowd, Cowboy Bebop. The aura of "cool" would probably hook most of them. Not only that, but it's americana style would be very appealing as well.

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

Starting anime
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 07:42:09 PM »
Well, it depends on the person.  If you think they'd be skeptical of anything too Anime-rediculous(FLCL, sct.) start them with something realistic with Noir.  If you think they're your average person, go with Bebop.

Offline Risen Hell Fire

• The Researcher

Starting anime
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 05:07:55 PM »
*SIGH* why must this threads go on. VOLTRON and samurai pizza cats.

Offline Spash aka Mystic_Spike

Starting anime
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 04:07:10 AM »
it's gotta be Bebop, i think outlaw star might be a bit too obscure at times (towards the end) and that can put people off.
Escaflowne and Trigun are also good introductary animes but thats only because they are brilliant not because they specifically appeal to n00bies.:P

"whatever happens,happens"

See you space cowboy.....

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Starting anime
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 05:49:06 PM »
Outlaw Star is one of the better anime for newbs.  Cowboy Bebop for something slightly more serious, and Trigun isn't bad either.

But I'm gonna throw in the anime that got me started, despite the fact I loathe it now:  Love Hina.  Admittedly, it's got a certain newb appeal about it, especially if you're a nerdy college student with limited romantic experience (like I was, back when I watched it).  And anyway, one's anime "career" can only get better if they start with such a low.

Offline JetFire

Starting anime
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 06:34:26 PM »
I gotta go with Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin, and Full Metal Alchemist for begginers anime.  Mainly because Cowboy bebop is pretty realistic (aside from the space them) which makes it easy to relate to, Outlaw Star is a fun adventure anime, Trigun's got good action and laughs to appeal to a wide audience, Rurouni Kenshin has fun characters and fun fights scenes to watch, and Full Metal Alchemist has a great but non-complex story that will grip many people.

Also, I gotta recommend Naruto to a younger audience.  Not really young.  I guess anyone 11 - 12 years old and up could watch it.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Starting anime
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 10:50:14 PM »
I will have to go with Gundam Wing, and/or Outlaw Star (With OL > GW). They are both pretty simple, yet one is long (GW = 49) while Outlaw Star is shorter (OL = >30, not to sure). They both have pretty interesting characters, but not the most confusing. Easy to watch (just not in one sitting. NEVER watch GW in ONE sitting...)

If you are lucky to find it, enter anime with Samurai Pizza Cats. However, because atleast I have never been able to find it, I don't suggest it for the ones trying to break into anime by buying a title.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

Starting anime
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
pokemon but that doesnt count. so ill go with lain.

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Starting anime
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 06:19:27 AM »
It depends on the personal tastes of a person. Only a "wow" anime can hook a newbie; it doesn't have to be a seriously-great anime, that more advanced fans would appreciate.

Drama: Fruits Basket. (highly enjoyable and dramatic!)
Comdey: uhh, pass. I really don't know any comedies I'd recommend to a beginner.
Romance: Chobits (has a lovely level of romance, drama, and comedy)
Fantasy: Oh! My Goddess or Cardcaptor Sakura (both pretty entertaining)

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 01:29:36 AM »
Fist of The North Star. No joke. Probably the best anime for a male teenager (preferably with ADHD). Once they're somewhat desensitized to the violence, then move onto Gantz. Following this weening period, then they move onto something with substance: berserk.

For a girl... eheheh... I'd say toss a shoujo anime that's fast paced; some of the more slower shoujo anime I think would lull them away. I'd say My-Hime right off the bat. Then again I'm a sucker for the anime.

Offline Ariani

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 07:36:41 AM »
Maybe it's just because I throw in with an older crowd now, but I'd have to go for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 08:28:42 AM »
For kids, Pokemon.
For the comedy lover, I'd say either Haruhi or Azumanga.
For action/romance/(harem lulz): Tenchi Muyo or Kenshin
Romance.... .... ....um.... ..... show them episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 17, 21-25 and 41-52 of Full Moon. Skip the filler. XD
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 09:21:59 AM »
My advice is, go watch those that don't bombard the senses too heavily. In simpler terms, something good and light-hearted that leaves you in a staisfactory mood after watching it. One such instance is Azumanga Daioh, a feel-good comedy for any ages with a hint of pathos towards the end.

What I meant for those that bombard the senses are ones that leaves you with an overwhelming sensation/feeling afterwards, usually sense of bitterweet and sorrow. You can say that this category usually contain those outstanding anime. These include Gankutsuou, Now and Then, Here and There, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, Monster, My Hime, BECK, Nana and Grave of the Fireflies. Such titles are best left for later viewing.

Why? It's simply because to me, if you watch those outstanding titles first, you'll tend to over-anticipate/expect too much on your next series. Explanation: After watching Tsuiokuhen, you would probably feel that the Rurouni Kenshin series sucks big time, even though it's not necessarily true because you expected too much after watching a brilliant title.

Usually that's what I tell anyone who's interested into anime. Rebuke if you like, but that's how I think.

...always been meaning to voice this topic out for some time
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 12:21:31 PM by dheu »

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 12:11:07 PM »
I don't know if I agree with that mentality. Granted, starting anime should always be a little bit different than most arbitrary choices. Despite that, I think that the cause for that is fundamentally different to AC's viewpoint: it's moreso that one's mentality walking into anime is a bit different. The typical American viewer is going to walk into an anime going "wtf this is a cartoon." From there it takes a certain amount of panache, so to speak, to convince the viewer that what they are watching is an original thing in and of itself.

Hence, my recommendations of My-Hime and the progressive FotNS-Gantz-Berserk. What this does is allow the viewer to watch something a bit more immediate for effect (first half of my-hime=perverted and over the top), then once you've hooked them, you show them what there is to offer, without them rejecting it outright.

The point about raising their expectations too high is one I don't agree with. I think it's a very personal thing that affects one's expectations. I started anime with Evangelion, moved on to Kare Kano, then Macross Plus (on a movie channel, lol). These have kick-started my interest in anime, and yet I still like Initial D :P. I may be an exception to the rule; but I think what applies to one will not universally apply to everyone. So I say give them something good right off the bat. I think it's worth the risk to raise his expectations into the roof if it gets him into anime, rather than risking showing him something not as good and him rejecting anime outright. Also, I think that even the mediocre anime is better than any cartoons made in America that target the sector I'm talking about (upper middle school-high school). Actually, not many come to mind .-.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up