Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 12:53:18 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting anime  (Read 43288 times)

Offline ddragon292

• shinte-kudasai :D

Re: Starting anime
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
while to anime lovers watching a series like azumanga daioh or even cowboy bepop may be enjoyable, i dont think really any series is ideal for those taking their very first steps into an anime. rather i think a movie such as miazaki's films would be the ideal envornment for people who want to take their first strives into the "real" anime world. theyre original, fresh, and different than most of what american television or even animation have to offer, and while they are different than most series the offer a climate in which if one enjoys them they may delve deeper into the "japanese animation" genre. surely the're MUCH better than other anime (even most shows) but this in no way makes them a bad choice for the anime geek to be as they are an example of what anime can truely be and are in no way a model of the typical japanese stereotype (schoolgirl, harem, slice of life, boobs, that sort of thing).

films like "spirited away" or "akira" have already gotten a large fanbase of american viewers that then moved on to delve deeper into japanese animation as we know it. akira was one of the first ever films to hit the american market with any critical acclaim or any real acceptance by the american public. it may have not been the best, but it showcased what anime truely had to offer to its audiences and captivated the american public to the point they made the plunge into anime, with trigun, DBZ, and other hits to follow in their path. other (better imo) movies like miazaki's spirited away showed the potential of anime to audiences once again as it displayed the stunning visuals and desicive story telling that captured and awed audiences to the point it even got recognized as the best animeted film of its year (i choose spirited away to talk about over other miazaki films because it has recieved much more recognition by american audiences and because i remember it as the first anime i really took the time to watch other than pokemon, which as C0MPL3X so kindly put it... doesnt count).  anime films like these are examples of how animated films are most likely the best choice.

now, im not saying that watching an anime "show" is in no way a poor choice... and surely there are some better than others. trigun is a great choice for an american audience, and i think that azumanga daioh or in some cases eureka 7 or gundam wing may also be a great choice (based off of the reactions i have seen from people who are unfamiliar with anime). but at the same time i still think that something along the lines of miazaki's films is not only a great starter choice for people who want to look into anime, but also have been.
meh im to lazy for a real sig so ill just link my devART XD

link

Offline Duskbyday

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »
Personally the Ghibli movies in my honest opinion, the first anime I ever watched was Laputa and I couldn't be more happier tht i saw it first. However it really depends on the genre or person's fav type of story.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
I'd like to add that Planetes is a great start. Anime that are generally realistic, cinematic, and serious are perfect for easing a newcomer into the unfamiliar genre--elements found in modern film dramas, a genre everyone knows. And certainly, Planetes has all of the above elements, along with a pinch of humor. Light-hearted at times, yet tremendously profound at others, it is a significant departure from the super-deformed/moe/obnoxious nausea at the other extreme of the genre's spectrum.

Offline Sabriel

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »
I say to start with Myazaki movies like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke because a lot of people who aren't into anime like them and I"ve gotten several of my friends hooked on anime by using those movies to get them into the anime genre.
as for a deries. Full Metal Alchemist is very good. Easy Plot line to follow, and great characters. It's funny and serious so that you get a little of everything and I haven't met anyone who watched it that didn't love it. Yu Yu Hakusho is another good one, but you have to like the old, classic, demon but-kicking stuff to really like it.
I say anything that's really interesting to watch and addictive without being to complex to follow.  ;D

Offline UKLN8860

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 06:18:42 AM »
 ;D

Offline kadian1364

• Joined the Dark Side for the dental plan
  • Reviewer
    • MAL profile

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »
Well, you always got to feel out what that person's interests are and what he/she's looking for in anime. Nothing makes someone more leery of New Entertainment than showing them something they're not in the mood for/ready for.

Considering more specific titles, there are the usual suspects: bounty hunters, the Shounen Jumps, and Ghibli movies. They're popular, easy to get into, and have a wide range of appeal.

Another show I'd throw into the mix is Full Metal Panic. It's a good yardstick title; the blend of genres, military, mechs, high school romcom, and slapstick humor, makes it a good introduction to some common anime tropes while also boasting high production values. It's easy entertainment with the bonus of sequels, Fumoffu for comedy and TSR for action.

On the other hand, if this person wanted a something different from the conventionally popular ("lol anime is kids stuff and shallow angst for teens"), then I'd dig up something like Infinite Ryvius, Kino's Journey, or something from the Noitamina block, like Paradise Kiss or Eden of the East.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 06:02:28 AM »
I am of the opinion that it is very difficult to start someone towards the world of anime by focusing on the artistic, cinematic aspects of the medium, which I think are much less salient than certain, more superficial elements. What matters most when starting to get into anime is not what big titles are watched, or even the quality of it (to a certain degree), but what interests you, if you're trying to figure out how to get into anime yourself), or the person you're attempting to introduce it to.

From my experience introducing friends to anime and in turn having friends introduce me to their own favorites, it seems to me that what draws people is just the most salient element of the series that they take for themselves. A movie lover will appreciate cinematic techniques; someone into voice acting will look at voices; someone into art will look at the artwork, etc. Of course, this is assuming that you have no background knowledge of anime and that your main hobbies are in some other field.

To be more specific, I think I would have to list a few anime depending on genre and theme to serve as recommendations. A few of these are:

Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi: Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star
Comedy (Harem-style): Love Hina
Space Epics/Mecha: Gundam (in my opinion, the older works in Gundam are less feasible for beginners to anime, so newer would be best)
Mystery/Thriller: Monster, Death Note
Shoujo: Go read some manga.
Tragedies (for lack of better genre titling on my part): Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Key anime (Clannad, Air, Kanon)
Action/Fantasy/Other: Shakugan no Shana, Record of Lodoss War, Elfen Lied

Of course, you could always go with Naruto/Bleach/One Piece. It seems to me that each one of these has a powerful superficial hook that can bring in viewers (namely, ninjas, death gods, and pirates). It is my personal opinion that for guys, harem comedies are one of the best ways to introduce them to the anime literature. For more mature individuals, more psychological or philosophical series will serve better. Shoujo is just better in manga format than anime format, hands down (feel free to contest me on this).

I didn't list any fighting series because the very few sports/fighting series that I have personally touched are usually in manga format; I personally prefer manga over anime, but perhaps I'm one of the few. Also, while some of my choices may seem superficial or disagreeable for some, I have tried picking series that, in my experience, people have told me are interesting for one primary reason or another, mostly -NOT- related to the quality of direction, artwork, voice acting, music, story, etc. of the series itself. I do not necessarily hold many of these recommendations myself in the highest regard, but they seem, nonetheless, to be good introductory series.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:09:07 AM by Kylaran »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »
I don't see it as a matter of salience, but a matter of familiarity. And "the cinematic" is familiar to some, if not many. It is a recognizable quality, emotionally but subconsciously. It is difficult to articulate, unless one is familiar with film language. But that difficulty does not make it less important or less effective. Most people can differentiate between a movie and a television show or an internet stream, even if it is a difference they cannot fully describe. All of this has to do with the theory and history of film, its presentation and its marketing, etc. but that's for another time. For starting anime, we're all looking for and giving blanket answers, and I think all of them are valid. I think it may even be more effective to consider what elements in anime alienates new viewers, like specifics relating to anime subculture or very Japanese aspects (unless you are Japanese, then again there are other caveats to that). The more popular series, those that also 'come to America', by their numbers can be generalized as good starters. It's those "anime for anime fans made by anime fans" that may alienate. And then there's also the question of structure and pacing--can they sit through this? Can they grasp what's going on? Maybe I should have more reservations about Planetes as a starter because of its slower introduction. For qualification as a starter anime, there are certainly many elements to consider, some of which are automatically assumed but I think that's dangerous.

Offline kozeph

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »
For some bizaree reason, from my expirience most people that I have met started anime by watching "action" anime naruto/bleach and that nonesence then they jump to death note for the "psilosopical" aproach then they find some random comedy and from then they find evangelion which is mindblowing to them ??? then they really start to watch good mature animes, or just get stuck on action bleachy things. This is the case for most people I have met boys from 15 to 18. no exeption besides like two people I know. Ive made a few experiments showing anime to girls with one succesful turned into an anime watcher by using honey and clover.

so my conclucion most boys will usualy start watching anime bias an action anime then move to something more mature. while (still in progress) girls would fall for anime with light comedy, romance with drama shows.

thats just my opinion. This is by no means set in stone, I just speak of my experience with people

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:41 AM »
I think that Full Metal Alchemist would be an ideal choice, as it is made quickly apparent that this isn't just a kid's cartoon. There's no fan service, no extreme violence, but the serious premise of trying to get their bodies back makes it an ideal choice. The scene where they try to transmute their mother is a classic scene, I still remember how I felt when I first saw it (all those years ago...). Also, it's 51 one episodes allow the viewer to become accustomed to the characters and the plot, and would provide a longer oppotunity to convince or convert someone as it were.

The first anime's I've ever watched were long running ones, Bleach, followed by Naruto. I suppose this was good in a way as when I then watched FMA, I was blown away about how an anime could be concise and consistantly brilliant - My fisrt taste was not something so brilliant that all other anime's just felt bad, and so stopped me watching them. In fact, in some ways, those long running anime's might be a good first anime to watch (provided the said person has lots of free time, and is more accepting of anime than cynical people, in fact they probably need to be more anime friendly than your average person.)

Another anime I might recommend is Code Geass. It isn't the best anime under the sun, but it has several things going for it for a first or second time viewer. The very start of the anime is very strong, it's entertaining, and also, for those people who complain that they can't read and watch at the same time, it is also in dubbed (Out of the anime's that have been dubbed, I think that Code Geass is one of the best). (I have always, where available, checked out the dub of an anime even though I don't intend watching it in dub so as to see its quality. I have only ever watched 3 series in dubbed, Eureka 7, Code Geass, and Evangelion). It has plenty of action, it can easily fool people watching it into thinking that it's an intelligent anime, and the animation quality is strong throughout. Hopefully the person watching though might have got into it before the first taste of fan service (First appears episode 2 or 3 I think).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:54:28 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline SushiChan

• Watch Anime Online

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 02:23:10 AM »
As a starting anime I recommend users to start with Sailor Moon for girls only! as it's the best magical girl anime ever

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
I've found that Kino's Journey has worked as a very good introduction to anime. It's how I got my ex-boyfriend to start watching anime, and he's pretty into it now. It's definitely not for everyone starting out, but I think that it would especially interest those who are into philosophical ideas as the ones presented in the show. It's also a nice way to prove to someone who writes anime off as just kids stuff or all action to see that the medium actually caries a lot of depth. Again, it's certainly not for everyone, but if you get the right person to watch it, it can really build their interest in anime.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
Aware of (and dislikes) anime stereotypes:  Cowboy Bebop or Planetes
Very little experience with anime in general: Gurren Lagann or Code Geass
Somewhere in the middle: Death Note

It depends on the person. I think you'll be surprised in general that there are very few people who are actually aware what anime stereotypes are and actually don't like those stereotypes.

Usually if you show naruto to someone who "doesn't like anime," they'll love it. For people who actually genuinely don't like anime stereotypes and aren't just being closeminded, It's best to recommend something very sophisticated, yet also very "American" in style.

Offline Fuzzymonkey

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
FLCL, just to watch their WTF?!?!?!?!?! reaction. :D

Offline flucas

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 02:16:43 AM »
Anyone familiar with Detective Conan here?  It actually is one of the better animes that I actually like and enjoy.  And though there practically are a lot of other animes that are still enjoyable, it would still be nice to ultimately be able to enjoy it.  Its close resemblance to Sherlock Holmes makes it something that can be enjoyable by a lot of people.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up