Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 05:41:16 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Break Blade  (Read 7225 times)

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Break Blade
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
(Or Broken Blade. Whichever.)

1:

Oh Production IG, where did you go wrong here?

From the onset, it feels like a medieval version of Gundam SEED: two friends in military school split up and both are now standing in opposing sides in a war between two or more entities (for yet to be explained reasons). Despite the crisp art and high production values, the animation is very static and sluggish, the atmosphere is inexplicably underwhelming for a war drama, and the characters are so uninspiring and expressionless that I don't feel the need to pay attention to them or their background stories.

There's nothing engaging about the story, the characters are too shallow to be taken seriously, and the aesthetics can only do so much to make this movie entertaining from start to finish. I don't know what to make out of this: should I care how Rygart is able to pilot an ancient and powerful but poorly manufactured artifact? Should I care about the politics in the movie? Should I care that there are still 4 more movies to go?

For shame, Production IG. I'll follow up with Movie 2 soon.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Break Blade
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:26:12 AM »
Yeah...

This crap.

Take every mecha cliche ever conceived and put it in a typical JRPG setting and you have Break Blade.  I admit, it's nice to see that the mecha genre is not completely dead, but this OVA shows why there is such a void of material here.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »
2:

Another boring movie. The same problems in the first movie still persist here, but now I've learnt a few things about this show:

- This story is set in an alternate future (which is strangely medieval). The people of Krishna called that artifact an Ancient, and they don't understand English or Japanese. Maybe that, or the two languages have become obsolete/unintelligible for unexplained reasons.

- Politics. Yes, politics always lead to war in anime context. If you've watched enough Gundam, you'd know this very-, oh who am I kidding, this show IS Gundam in medieval mecha setting.

- Rygart & Zess = Kira Yamato & Shinn Asuka. Rygart is Kira. Only more muted. And pathetic. Zess is Shinn. Only more lifeless. Sigyn is always that worrywart chick in any Gundam show.

- Okay, I get it already: Rygart's robot kicks ass. Enough about the robot's Michael-Jordan ability to jump or Usain-Bolt sprinting ability. So what? Where are you going with this?

- Cleo is a prodigy... well, more like an unpolished precious stone. She can pilot the thing in a day but she sucks as a soldier. In other words, she may be someone like Rygart. Meh, interesting but the movie's lackluster storytelling isn't doing me any favor. I actually didn't feel sorry for Lee's death, simply because I don't even know her character enough.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »
Episode 3

This was better than the previous episodes, but the anime is still incredibly underwhelming.  I don't find all the intricate pieces of drama among the characters all that compelling.  Part of it is because I've seen these dynamics before but the other part is that a lot of the drama comes from misunderstandings and while such things are common in real wars, it's not a source of compelling interactions.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »
3:

Meh, it's pretty much the same thing. The skirmishes are better than the last two episodes, but it doesn't change the fact that the show has been, well, underwhelming. I still can't emotionally connect with any of the characters in the show, mainly because I feel that they're shallow puppets. I don't feel the compelling tension that Rygart feels when he feels obliged to kill people on the battlefield (it's actually good to see that he doesn't turn emo at seeing people die. This is war, duh). I don't feel the animosity between Rygart and Zess. Heck, I just don't feel anything from the show.

And something's amiss about Cleo. She has a goofy side but is edgy at the same time, and I'm not sure how I should see her. It's intriguing to see that she's actually 12 years old - wonder what happened along the way - but it's credible since she's naive to not suspect how easy it was to overpower Sigyn.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »
3:

Cleo was so much more happy last episode. She is slightly strange though, being 12 years old and the way she is. Firstly physically, no 12 year old could have boobs that big (I think the woman who dies in Zess's team commented on it), and mentally she carries a lot more anger and is a lot less naive than a 12 year old would usually be.

Even though there a quite a few good Seiyuu present, I am emotionally detached from the characters. This is down not only down to the large breaks between movies/episodes, but also because they are quite dull, and just down to other details of this show.

Considering there is such a long time between episode/movies, I am really underwhelmed by the animation. It is fluid, and it isn't bad, but given the large amount of time, I'd expect something more than just satisfactory.

Edit: Seems Rygart noticed Cleo's ... overly mature body. I am slightly relieved that people actually notice the fact a girl of 12 has a body like that. Also, the opening I think fits the theme quite well, and though it's not memorable, it's instantly recognisable Well, for me it was anyway).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:23:10 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:11:13 AM »
3:

Cleo was so much more happy last episode. She is slightly strange though, being 12 years old and the way she is. Firstly physically, no 12 year old could have boobs that big (I think the woman who dies in Zess's team commented on it), and mentally she carries a lot more anger and is a lot less naive than a 12 year old would usually be.

Even though there a quite a few good Seiyuu present, I am emotionally detached from the characters. This is down not only down to the large breaks between movies/episodes, but also because they are quite dull, and just down to other details of this show.

Considering there is such a long time between episode/movies, I am really underwhelmed by the animation. It is fluid, and it isn't bad, but given the large amount of time, I'd expect something more than just satisfactory.

Edit: Seems Rygart noticed Cleo's ... overly mature body. I am slightly relieved that people actually notice the fact a girl of 12 has a body like that. Also, the opening I think fits the theme quite well, and though it's not memorable, it's instantly recognisable Well, for me it was anyway).

Donít be so sure about that, some of the Mexican sluts at my middle school had undoubtedly hit their puberty early. Even though they werenít double Ds, they were certainly noticeable.

However, I am a little concerned on how the Athen army would send a twelve year old on the battlefield. I know sheís a genius and all but what gives? Are they that desperate?

Oh and of course, the war is about resources. Kind of like Operation Iraq Liberation, except with a twist: these enemies are ďbarbaricĒ.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
Okay, I gotta know, what's with the sig picture...
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »
Okay, I gotta know, what's with the sig picture...

I felt it was necessary to offset ACís awful signature with a cool one. That is all.

The scene is from a music video.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
I felt it was necessary to offset ACís awful signature with a cool one. That is all.

I'm sorry. Wut?

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »

I'm sorry. Wut?

Heh I'm just kidding AC. But ... One Piece. Really?

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »
Yarr.

Offline Averruncus

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
I'm surprised they managed to get Cleo's age in the first place, given that she was determined not to say anything...

The 4th episode is the best so far. The plot is still extremely predictable but somehow doesn't take the excitement out the battles. I found General True's battle quite disturbing although the outcome was not unexpected, its probably because it came kind of suddenly. Apparently, Cleo is just one of the genetically enhanced black-hair loli girls.

Despite the awkward yuri scenes, I found this episode to be thoroughly entertaining. The soundtrack was great as usual and the final fight scene was awesome.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »
I liked the fourth just fine but not as much as the third. I'm really only in this for the mecha battles now, and the one in the third is spectacular, whereas the fights in this one are very good.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
I forgot I watched this, possibly quite telling of this series.

The relationship between the monstrously boobed 12 year old and Erster Sigyn was something I liked, though I'm not sure myself whether it's down to it being presented well or down to the "awkward Yuri scenes". It's probably the Yuri scenes... Damn it, my perversion is affecting my judgement.

In any case, the movie was quite good, I just don't care much about the characters, though it is better than the earlier movies. General True's death was quite easy to see coming, because they were focusing on him in a sentimental way, though I did see some genuine warmth in that scene where the woman and him were talking about who'd protect him.

Best comeback I've heard for a long time in anime though:

Annoyed Lady "What's wrong with you?! Don't you have any balls?"

Rygart "You want to check?"

Classic.

Offline Averruncus

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »
The Cleo X Sigyn relationship is really weird for me...
For one Sigyn's marriage mustn't be going very well if she is sleeping with a female enemy soldier. Cleo doesn't seem to mind being Sigyn's pet which is also weird since she was ready to bash her head to death just an episode ago, its just too fast.
Its not that I don't enjoy these scenes, its just weird...

True death didn't come as a surprise, but for me it had impact. Maybe it was because the scene started mid battle therefore not giving me time to mentally prepare for his death. I think its also because he crushed to death (horrible way to die) AND was killed by a loli (horrible way to die). I guess I wanted him to go in a blaze of glory since he had some back story established. Oh well, time to watch some IS...

I really should watch better anime...

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
I'm sorry, what.

The Cleo X Sigyn relationship is really weird for me...
For one Sigyn's marriage mustn't be going very well if she is sleeping with a female enemy soldier.
I think you've said one of the last things on my mind. From what I see, they're not enemies personally. They're enemies simply by their alliance to their respective kingdoms, but not in person. This is what happens when you realize that the people on the other side of the war aren't always bad people per se. This is what Cleo learned about Sigyn. So what's weird about it? The fact that they sleep on the same bed? What are you getting at?

4:

I think that this is a tad better than the last three movies. Rygart still reminds me of SEED's Yamato Kira - must be the seiyuu - but a lot less angsty and whiny, and more resolved. Yeah, so he has "balls" (I snickered at the 'balls' joke).

But I have two problems with this movie (and probably with Break Blade as a whole): One, I still can't empathize the characters because they still lack character credibility and chemistry. Two, there are a number of pacing issues. At one point, especially any scene featuring a conversation between two people, it feels like time has frozen. At another point, especially the battle scenes, time speeds up. Two more things that bugged me about this particular movie is General True's sudden death and Athen's new loli ace. Yeah I don't get her either, and she's another reason for me to think that this show has problems with characters.

But I think the battle scenes have improved since the first movie. It's cutthroat, raw and down-to-earth (yay for no God-mode whatsoever, and for demonstrating that fuel and ammo are NOT infinite).

Offline Averruncus

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »

I think you've said one of the last things on my mind. From what I see, they're not enemies personally. They're enemies simply by their alliance to their respective kingdoms, but not in person. This is what happens when you realize that the people on the other side of the war aren't always bad people per se. This is what Cleo learned about Sigyn. So what's weird about it? The fact that they sleep on the same bed? What are you getting at?

This relationship would have worked if it was just merely a dispute between two countries, where the people of each side merely misunderstand or disagree with each other. But this is war, where people's lives and the survival of both countries is at stake. Hodr is being extremely careless with Cleo given that Sigyn is a major reason why Krisna is still at war with Athens. Try to imagine what it is like to be a solider of the Krisna army; the enemy who was shooting at you few days ago is now bunking with your queen, oh but it's ok since she's not a bad person. Sure, Sigyn has no personal beef with Cleo but does she not care about her people's feelings?

I just find it extremely naive, to place an enemy solider in the one place where she shouldn't be. Sure, she turned out to be docile, but she has attempted on several occasions to kill people of your country, she even attempted to kill Rygart in front of Sigyn. Sigyn is really betting on the fact that Cleo reacts well to kindness and will not try to off people again. Cleo on the other hand, is in a position in which she could greatly impact the war with Krisna. Killing Sigyn might not end the war, but it would greatly impact the morale of Krisna and relieve them of their head mecha researcher. Given that she was ready to kill herself when she was captured, her sudden change of character just after over a week just felt too sudden. But I guess all this can be written off as "she's just twelve" and for that reason, I can understand why Cleo acts the way she does, but this doesn't explain the enormous amount of trust Sigyn and Hodr (since he's not doing anything) have in Cleo. Overall, I'm sure there are better ways of portraying stockholm syndrome (first of all, they should have just given Cleo her own room instead), it would have been better if it were more gradual, instead of attempted murder scene to drinking tea under the stars.

Lastly,  the awkwardness I feel from the Cleo X Sigyn relationship comes from its contrast with Rygart's struggle in becoming a solider. On one hand we get the realities of war, how a humble, peace-loving person has to accept that he will have to take lives in order to protect the ones he love, even if it means killing his close friend; on the other, we have the naive relationship of queen and POW. Given the overall feel of the anime, I just won't expect Sigyn to react this way.

For one Sigyn's marriage mustn't be going very well if she is sleeping with a female enemy soldier.

Oh that? Well, Sigyn has shown more affection to Cleo then she has with Hodr. Hodr lets Cleo sleep with Sigyn even after Cleo attempted to escape and kill Rygart. Sigyn has also shown that she likes Rygart. Their marriage isn't going well...

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 05:38:57 AM »
If you think Cleo's characterization is the major issue of Break Blade, then I understand. This show doesn't handle characters that well in the first place. Plus, this whole idea of war seems to be discussed in a very naive way, a very common pitfall among shows that deal with prolonged unrest but skips on the dread of them all.

I just didn't understand the lesbian implication that I thought you were trying to say.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
5:

So everyone in the castle knows that Sigyn is actually in love with Rygart (or something along those lines), it's like one of those worst kept secrets, wonder if the rumours have made it to Hodr, I suspect not.

Anyway as for the rest of the episode, well the art and animation are excellent, but with such a long production time, you'd hope for such. The characters are losing any sympathy I was able to muster, I thought that the red haired guy could turn out interesting, but what actually happened was the probably one of the worse things they could have done, what a shoddy way to die, I'm annoyed. Rygart is a fool, while he was busy arguing with that guy, the brother and sister duo got defeated, and the brother died, which would have been easily preventable had Rygart not ****ed off because he saw the red haired one take off.

I'm not too good at identifying specific parts that are bad about the pacing or directing, but this episode was rushed at points, yet it still didn't make as much of the time it had as it could of. Let's see what the last one brings us.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »
5:

Uhh, what a piss-poor bad guy Girghe turns out to be. He's just this powerful kid who wets his pants when he's in danger, scampers off when everyone's in trouble, laughs at them while rubbing his evil moustache. In short, an evil and strong coward. "Best" of all, his character tries to redeem himself and sign off as the villain who tries to tug at your heart and beg for forgiveness. Pfft, what a load of crap.

This show's like this half-brother of Gundam SEED who tries not to be like the latter but somewhat still resembles him. Rygart's still this impulsive little boy who has a schoolboy crush on some chick, and handles a godlike robot. Sounds just like Kira Yamato to me. Or Shin Asuka. Whichever. Same goes for that crazy loli bitch with the killer robot; how does that even work?

What in the hell is the point of the Sigyn-Cleo scene? Does it do anything important to the movie other than pandering to viewers with chicks in negligees, and seeing them giggle over stories on boys like some teenage girl? And strangely, the girls actually giggled over how the boys brushed off a story about the guys almost getting shot to death (possibly). Is it me, or do I think the girls are strangely sadistic?

I'm not too good at identifying specific parts that are bad about the pacing or directing, but this episode was rushed at points, yet it still didn't make as much of the time it had as it could of. Let's see what the last one brings us.
The fight scenes are intense and fast, but any time Break Blade doesn't show big robots smashing each other to pieces, it bores the audience with painstaking slow scenes of people talking with dull dialogue and poker faces. I'm quite surprised you even cared about the characters even once.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
Final:

I'll have to give Break Blade for one thing: the fights are pretty good. They're polished, hard-hitting and cutthroat so at least this show scores high points with the aesthetics. But what I don't like at all is the cast, which seems to be an imitation of Gundam's. Rygart is Kira Yamato (or Shinn Asuka, or both), Sigyn is Lacus Clyne, Zess is Athrun Zala, Borcuse is Char Aznable, Nike is Nena Trinity, etc. I may be drawing a jarring comparison but I can't help but be reminded of such.

Not sure what to feel at the opening ending; it's good that Break Blade doesn't go on the same "Global-Peace-with-Flower-on-top" signoff, but I was looking forward to something more conclusive.

--

My thoughts on Break Blade:

I'll give it a tepid 7/10. I suppose that it's fun - the fights are impressive, and the production values are top-notch - but the characters are disappointing because they're static and also, because of what I explained above. Also, the pacing can be erratic: whenever a scene doesn't show a Golem getting smashed into pieces, it either features sluggish dialogue that makes me dozy.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
5/10

What the hell, that last one was the worst yet. The fights were kind of disappointing and anti-climatic, and the ending was just really really stupid - "**** you plot, lets just end here since we feel like it". What was the point of Zess anyway? In fact, screw that, what was the point of most of them? Then again, all the characters, and the plot, as said in the review - are bland, about as bland as water flavoured jelly. Lastly, the show fails at garnering any tension anywhere throughout. Oh well, just Nichijou left and I'm up to date with what I was watching, then I'll see the new season's shows.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up