Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:26:58 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Break Blade  (Read 7183 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Break Blade
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
(Or Broken Blade. Whichever.)

1:

Oh Production IG, where did you go wrong here?

From the onset, it feels like a medieval version of Gundam SEED: two friends in military school split up and both are now standing in opposing sides in a war between two or more entities (for yet to be explained reasons). Despite the crisp art and high production values, the animation is very static and sluggish, the atmosphere is inexplicably underwhelming for a war drama, and the characters are so uninspiring and expressionless that I don't feel the need to pay attention to them or their background stories.

There's nothing engaging about the story, the characters are too shallow to be taken seriously, and the aesthetics can only do so much to make this movie entertaining from start to finish. I don't know what to make out of this: should I care how Rygart is able to pilot an ancient and powerful but poorly manufactured artifact? Should I care about the politics in the movie? Should I care that there are still 4 more movies to go?

For shame, Production IG. I'll follow up with Movie 2 soon.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Break Blade
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:26:12 AM »
Yeah...

This crap.

Take every mecha cliche ever conceived and put it in a typical JRPG setting and you have Break Blade.  I admit, it's nice to see that the mecha genre is not completely dead, but this OVA shows why there is such a void of material here.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »
2:

Another boring movie. The same problems in the first movie still persist here, but now I've learnt a few things about this show:

- This story is set in an alternate future (which is strangely medieval). The people of Krishna called that artifact an Ancient, and they don't understand English or Japanese. Maybe that, or the two languages have become obsolete/unintelligible for unexplained reasons.

- Politics. Yes, politics always lead to war in anime context. If you've watched enough Gundam, you'd know this very-, oh who am I kidding, this show IS Gundam in medieval mecha setting.

- Rygart & Zess = Kira Yamato & Shinn Asuka. Rygart is Kira. Only more muted. And pathetic. Zess is Shinn. Only more lifeless. Sigyn is always that worrywart chick in any Gundam show.

- Okay, I get it already: Rygart's robot kicks ass. Enough about the robot's Michael-Jordan ability to jump or Usain-Bolt sprinting ability. So what? Where are you going with this?

- Cleo is a prodigy... well, more like an unpolished precious stone. She can pilot the thing in a day but she sucks as a soldier. In other words, she may be someone like Rygart. Meh, interesting but the movie's lackluster storytelling isn't doing me any favor. I actually didn't feel sorry for Lee's death, simply because I don't even know her character enough.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »
Episode 3

This was better than the previous episodes, but the anime is still incredibly underwhelming.  I don't find all the intricate pieces of drama among the characters all that compelling.  Part of it is because I've seen these dynamics before but the other part is that a lot of the drama comes from misunderstandings and while such things are common in real wars, it's not a source of compelling interactions.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »
3:

Meh, it's pretty much the same thing. The skirmishes are better than the last two episodes, but it doesn't change the fact that the show has been, well, underwhelming. I still can't emotionally connect with any of the characters in the show, mainly because I feel that they're shallow puppets. I don't feel the compelling tension that Rygart feels when he feels obliged to kill people on the battlefield (it's actually good to see that he doesn't turn emo at seeing people die. This is war, duh). I don't feel the animosity between Rygart and Zess. Heck, I just don't feel anything from the show.

And something's amiss about Cleo. She has a goofy side but is edgy at the same time, and I'm not sure how I should see her. It's intriguing to see that she's actually 12 years old - wonder what happened along the way - but it's credible since she's naive to not suspect how easy it was to overpower Sigyn.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »
3:

Cleo was so much more happy last episode. She is slightly strange though, being 12 years old and the way she is. Firstly physically, no 12 year old could have boobs that big (I think the woman who dies in Zess's team commented on it), and mentally she carries a lot more anger and is a lot less naive than a 12 year old would usually be.

Even though there a quite a few good Seiyuu present, I am emotionally detached from the characters. This is down not only down to the large breaks between movies/episodes, but also because they are quite dull, and just down to other details of this show.

Considering there is such a long time between episode/movies, I am really underwhelmed by the animation. It is fluid, and it isn't bad, but given the large amount of time, I'd expect something more than just satisfactory.

Edit: Seems Rygart noticed Cleo's ... overly mature body. I am slightly relieved that people actually notice the fact a girl of 12 has a body like that. Also, the opening I think fits the theme quite well, and though it's not memorable, it's instantly recognisable Well, for me it was anyway).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:23:10 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:11:13 AM »
3:

Cleo was so much more happy last episode. She is slightly strange though, being 12 years old and the way she is. Firstly physically, no 12 year old could have boobs that big (I think the woman who dies in Zess's team commented on it), and mentally she carries a lot more anger and is a lot less naive than a 12 year old would usually be.

Even though there a quite a few good Seiyuu present, I am emotionally detached from the characters. This is down not only down to the large breaks between movies/episodes, but also because they are quite dull, and just down to other details of this show.

Considering there is such a long time between episode/movies, I am really underwhelmed by the animation. It is fluid, and it isn't bad, but given the large amount of time, I'd expect something more than just satisfactory.

Edit: Seems Rygart noticed Cleo's ... overly mature body. I am slightly relieved that people actually notice the fact a girl of 12 has a body like that. Also, the opening I think fits the theme quite well, and though it's not memorable, it's instantly recognisable Well, for me it was anyway).

Donít be so sure about that, some of the Mexican sluts at my middle school had undoubtedly hit their puberty early. Even though they werenít double Ds, they were certainly noticeable.

However, I am a little concerned on how the Athen army would send a twelve year old on the battlefield. I know sheís a genius and all but what gives? Are they that desperate?

Oh and of course, the war is about resources. Kind of like Operation Iraq Liberation, except with a twist: these enemies are ďbarbaricĒ.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
Okay, I gotta know, what's with the sig picture...
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »
Okay, I gotta know, what's with the sig picture...

I felt it was necessary to offset ACís awful signature with a cool one. That is all.

The scene is from a music video.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
I felt it was necessary to offset ACís awful signature with a cool one. That is all.

I'm sorry. Wut?

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »

I'm sorry. Wut?

Heh I'm just kidding AC. But ... One Piece. Really?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »
Yarr.

Offline Averruncus

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
I'm surprised they managed to get Cleo's age in the first place, given that she was determined not to say anything...

The 4th episode is the best so far. The plot is still extremely predictable but somehow doesn't take the excitement out the battles. I found General True's battle quite disturbing although the outcome was not unexpected, its probably because it came kind of suddenly. Apparently, Cleo is just one of the genetically enhanced black-hair loli girls.

Despite the awkward yuri scenes, I found this episode to be thoroughly entertaining. The soundtrack was great as usual and the final fight scene was awesome.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »
I liked the fourth just fine but not as much as the third. I'm really only in this for the mecha battles now, and the one in the third is spectacular, whereas the fights in this one are very good.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
I forgot I watched this, possibly quite telling of this series.

The relationship between the monstrously boobed 12 year old and Erster Sigyn was something I liked, though I'm not sure myself whether it's down to it being presented well or down to the "awkward Yuri scenes". It's probably the Yuri scenes... Damn it, my perversion is affecting my judgement.

In any case, the movie was quite good, I just don't care much about the characters, though it is better than the earlier movies. General True's death was quite easy to see coming, because they were focusing on him in a sentimental way, though I did see some genuine warmth in that scene where the woman and him were talking about who'd protect him.

Best comeback I've heard for a long time in anime though:

Annoyed Lady "What's wrong with you?! Don't you have any balls?"

Rygart "You want to check?"

Classic.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up