Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 03:35:13 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kuragehime  (Read 18008 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Kuragehime
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
The overused joke of the nosebleed has a particular qualifier though.  The nosebleeder is supposed to be a virgin and a virgin only.  It sometimes gets thrown about with non virgins, but it's generally supposed to be a sign of purity.  The inexperienced can't take it, so to speak.

Besides, Shu had two possible defense mechanisms going there.  He was more desperate to leave than anything else, so he was too afraid to notice her naughty bits.  He also wasn't wearing his glasses, so he probably couldn't see her that well anyway.  He didn't get close to a virgin reaction until after she nuzzled him and told him how "good" it was.  That was the breaking point and he had to go.  Like right now.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »
7:

Hey TIF, if you're still thinking about your upcoming article about how lead characters are lately more impassioned than cerebral with their approaches to solving problems, then maybe Kuranosuke is (maybe) another valid example. Here we have a passionate dude who speaks before thinking properly, thereby landing himself in hot water. Perhaps we can have a safe assumption that things turn out for the best. He just knows that he should what is right, even if it means fighting for an apartment for people who aren't really that fazed about the sell-off, and without thinking how he's gonna get enough money.

Purifying the place with salt. Haha, hilarious.

Do not tick off a jealous woman, because things always turns ugly. I can imagine how things would get blown out of proportion if she finds out that she was compared with a DUDE who is Shuu's younger brother. Man, that would be epic.

Yes, it's being said before: Kuranosuke still has much to learn about the Nunzs' feelings. The way he shrugs off Chieko's prized dolls just shows how insensitive he still is towards the residents of the apartment. Plus, he's still insensitive enough to admit that he won't sell off his own clothes and would rather resort to other ways to make some dough.

Oh man, this is so cool. Chieko learns how to pull off a torpedo! Who did she learn this move from? E. Honda?

Shuu just has no way of winning over the vixen. He's too pure and naive to do that. Poor Shuu; the only person clever and worldly enough to defeat her is probably his brother Kuranosuke.

Lastly, I'm not sure how these scandals work in real life. In real life, would it matter if Kuranosuke's dad had only gone to second base with his mom back then? Does it matter that he didn't go all the way? Scandals are based on ambiguous news IMHO, so I'm not so sure myself. Isn't it scandalous enough that Kuranosuke can still blackmail him for making out with his biological mother? More importantly, how was Kuranosuke even conceived when his dad only went up to second base?

Offline keiko777

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 04:39:04 PM »
Lastly, I'm not sure how these scandals work in real life. In real life, would it matter if Kuranosuke's dad had only gone to second base with his mom back then? Does it matter that he didn't go all the way? Scandals are based on ambiguous news IMHO, so I'm not so sure myself. Isn't it scandalous enough that Kuranosuke can still blackmail him for making out with his biological mother? More importantly, how was Kuranosuke even conceived when his dad only went up to second base?

I think Kuranosuke's dad was saying that he didn't get any farther with her that night.  But yeah, really, isn't it enough of a scandal that Kuranosuke is, in fact, ilegitimate?  I'm assuming that is still a secret from the public, or else it wouldn't cause a scandal that Kuranosuke's father was having an affair way back when.  Then again, Kuranosuke's clearly not 100% Japanese, and I can't help but think that the media would have speculated about that.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »
Hey TIF, if you're still thinking about your upcoming article about how lead characters are lately more impassioned than cerebral with their approaches to solving problems, then maybe Kuranosuke is (maybe) another valid example.

Kuranosuke is a great example.  My problem is there aren't enough rational and logical people around him to contrast.  The nuns don't offer much except as a basis for them to not get involved, so there really isn't a voice of reason that he acts against.  Besides, Kuranosuke is coming off an extremely selfish in nearly everything he does.  I'm not even 100% sure what his motivation is to help the girls with the redevelopment plans.  Aside from that being where they live, what is his connection?  Tsukimi and the others don't necessarily seem overly frustrated by the whole ordeal.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 07:16:57 AM »
8:

I just realized that the sheer number of screenshots I keep posting for each episode just shows how much fun I have watching this week after week (hope I'm not going against some forum rule :P). It's not like PSG: this show knows what's funny and is at it yet again. Good for you.

It's funny to see how the Nuns actually has no classy taste. The less classy an item is, the more appealing they find it to be. But it's interesting to take note that just because some products are high in value, it doesn't mean that they're hot in demand. Why sell something worthy when nobody's buying it... which brings me to my next point:

It's amazing to see that anything that's small and cute are sellable. I just think that the Japanese has this certain obsession with the concept of "Kawaii"-ness. Yes, it's a concept, not just an adjective anymore. I can buy this instance, simply because I've seen such instance first-hand for too many times already.

Seriously, I don't know which is funnier: the lack of common sense to the "After" Sister approach, or how Chieko's style is universal. Or one-size-fits-all. And Chieko is a sewing machine. +2 for you.

You know, there's always something special about seeing a girl in a Japanese wedding outfit. Maybe it's because of novelty: we wouldn't feel the same when we see a traditional Western wedding dress in an anime, I reckon. Probably, that's why I can understand that fuzzy (and suffocating) feeling Kuranosuke went through. And the Vicks VapoRub, my favorite ointment for blocked noses. Classic.

More importantly, I find how Kuranosuke's mother's love for dresses and Tsukimi's love for jellyfish-like dresses click, amazingly well-executed. It just clicks so well and I can't really complain anything about it. Which is why I thought the whole dress-making suggestion as their winning formula very credible. I just want to see how successful their suggestion would go, although not as ridiculous.

But funnily, this episode doesn't belong to the two. It belongs solely to the chauffeur, Yoshio. In fact, I'd go as far as giving him a multi-award for Best Troll/Sell-Out/Merc Nut/Idiot for confusing Shuu and Sugi on the phone, and blowing his own cover. And maybe getting the most (in)conspicuous PI to grace anime.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
9:

It's so cute to see Tsukimi's inner geek taking over her when Kuranosuke made that half-assed sketch. Yeah, once you hit a geek/nut in the soft spot, he/she's bound to bitch over it. And Yoshio's still the fetching yet goofy sell-out; so easy to pry information out of him.

A white unicorn followed by Shouko's Hundred-Fists? Man, did that hit me right in the kisser. Hilarious double-bomb dropped right there. That, and Shuu's dad's incisive question.

I'm not sure if Shouko's conclusion about Shuu is necessarily true. This may be the true in this case but it may be the case that Shuu is too naturally nice to the opposite sex (no matter how slutty the woman is), not that he enjoys being controlled by women.

Bizarre conversation between the kooky Prime Minister and Shuu's dad. They weren't shocked or even disappointed that this incident has happened. They're actually happier that Shuu has supposedly stepped out of the virginity zone, when sensibly they should've been worried more about the political brouhaha this would create. Maybe this would've applied more for them than Shuu, but it's something a little weird. Just sayin'.

There are so many things wrong with this scene, I just don't know where to start with.

And yeah, another touching monologue by Tsukimi about her childhood. That's so nice~

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
This has definitely got to be the best feel-good anime for this year. I find so many moments in this that I can smile about. Given the fairy tale like premise, I wasn't expecting to like this a lot and when I started watching I was very cynical about this program. As the episodes went by though, I lost all my cynicism and, not only due to the fact that there was more to it than it's fairy tale style plot, but because this is a great show.

10:

Has Shuu actually fallen for Shōko Inari? I assumed right up until I saw his face after slapping her that he found her an annoyance and wanted her to just go away for good. But after? I think he actually fell for her, which I was slightly upset about since I just thought he'd finally manned up and slapped the bitch like she deserves, until I saw her blushing slightly as she looked at Shuu leaving. I'm quite happy that I don't actually know how these romance are going to end up at all, it's good when something like this is a genuine surprise.

As for the scenes with Tsukimi and Kuranosuke, it is quite sweet, and I can enjoy this without forcibly ignoring the cynic inside of me. Chieko's mach 2 sowing amused me, despite the gag being repeated several times. Am I the only one though that thinks the dressed produced at the end doesn't look at all like the jellyfish it was based on? I'm not exactly aware of Japanese females fashion, but I'd say it was a good dress, and will provide the money they need (provided they make more) to save their home.

I was shocked to see their home with building preparations on it, I hadn't thought they could get it up this soon, though, looking at the fact there are only 2 or 3 episodes left, I guess they really had to get the story moving.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2010, 06:30:43 AM »
This has definitely got to be the best feel-good anime for this year. I find so many moments in this that I can smile about. Given the fairy tale like premise, I wasn't expecting to like this a lot and when I started watching I was very cynical about this program. As the episodes went by though, I lost all my cynicism and, not only due to the fact that there was more to it than it's fairy tale style plot, but because this is a great show.
Actually, I think it's more appropriate to say that this is a perfect example of shoujo comedy/drama done right. The comedy has been very consistent and fresh week and week, and the characters' colourful and likable personalities have been striking all the right chords.

10:

This episode confirms that Kuranosuke is indeed an earnest dude who always means well, but at the same time, he's reckless and self-centered. I've seen experienced people behind the sewing machine, so I can safely point out that using your own body to approximate the dress is NOT the way to make a dress. The only reason the tedious task pulled through is because of Chieko and Tsukimi, with Kuranosuke mainly in charge of moral support. Speaking of Chieko, she's my favorite Nun. Gotta give props to the seiyuu for making her character shine, even if she's a supporting one.

Man, Shuu is not just naive; just like Shōko thought of, he's a middle school boy. And a very square one too. You have any idea how lame his dreamy imagination is, especially with the 80s sappy music playing at the back?

Has Shuu actually fallen for Shōko Inari? I assumed right up until I saw his face after slapping her that he found her an annoyance and wanted her to just go away for good. But after? I think he actually fell for her, which I was slightly upset about since I just thought he'd finally manned up and slapped the bitch like she deserves, until I saw her blushing slightly as she looked at Shuu leaving. I'm quite happy that I don't actually know how these romance are going to end up at all, it's good when something like this is a genuine surprise.
I'm not quite sure if that's the case. Judging from his past actions towards Shōko, he doesn't genuinely like her but has been entertaining her because of moral obligations (<-- he's square, after all). He hates her, but at least wants to cut ties with her the most proper and justified way, which is nigh impossible because Shōko is practically having him wrapped around her finger. Shuu slapping her is a sign that Shōko crossed the line with her manipulation (and proving that he hates her too). The key line in the scene is Shuu saying "She wasn't dead", which feels more of a disappointment than contempt. This may imply that he does to get rid of her, but since she's not dead, he's still obliged to entertain her again.

I was a little curious about the purpose behind Banba and Mayaya meeting that hipster. Was it just a random experience, or did the scene have a specific purpose? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I can't point out its significance. Peculiar.

Although this show has been great and all, but I worry about how this show is coming to an end when there's only one episode left. We have three things needed to be resolved by next week: the Nunz saving their home, the Shuu-Shōko relationship, and Tsukimi's inner conflicts when dealing with Shuu. I doubt that all three of them can be resolved nicely within a single episode, so it's worrisome. It would've been better if this had been a 13-episode series instead.

Let's see how it goes for the final episode.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »

Bizarre conversation between the kooky Prime Minister and Shuu's dad. They weren't shocked or even disappointed that this incident has happened. They're actually happier that Shuu has supposedly stepped out of the virginity zone, when sensibly they should've been worried more about the political brouhaha this would create. Maybe this would've applied more for them than Shuu, but it's something a little weird. Just sayin'.

Wouldn't you be a little worried if your son is a thirty year old virgin?

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
Won't go into too much detail since I'm about to doze off anytime

11:
I was a little curious about the purpose behind Banba and Mayaya meeting that hipster. Was it just a random experience, or did the scene have a specific purpose? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I can't point out its significance. Peculiar.
Well, the hipster seems to be revealed as a just leading model / MC of the fashion contest with a fetish for afros, who happens to be an acquaintance with Kuranosuke. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole coincidental meeting between the nuns and the girl didn't seem to me as anything more than a red herring.

Although this show has been great and all, but I worry about how this show is coming to an end when there's only one episode left. We have three things needed to be resolved by next week: the Nunz saving their home, the Shuu-Shōko relationship, and Tsukimi's inner conflicts when dealing with Shuu. I doubt that all three of them can be resolved nicely within a single episode, so it's worrisome. It would've been better if this had been a 13-episode series instead.
Unfortunately, your predictions were correct, in that the three things that you mentioned require some suspension of disbelief or hardly touched upon at all. After all that trouble the nuns went through, first it reveals as 'wrong address', followed by a failure of communication, which was a bit too jarring for me to swallow. Arguably the greatest thing that left me with a bitter aftertaste was the latter two of what you mentioned. The relationship between Shuu and Shouko, and the inner-conflicts of Tsukimi about Shuu, which should have been one of the major focus for the last episode, are pretty much left untouched, creating a massive cliff-hanger.

I've enjoyed this series quite a lot ever since you've introduced it to me, but like you said, it really should have been a 13-episode series. That two extra episodes could have easily given the show the needed boost to make the difference.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I know you have said that this is an 11 episode series, but I just can't believe it. There are so many loose ends that I'd actually become distressed to know that was the absolute end. Isn't there going to be a second series? Maybe some OVA to finish off the series? Come on, someone tell me this isn't the end, I'm desperate...

11:

If there were/are episodes after this then this would have been a good episode, save the accidental mix up with house addresses which was anti-climatic. Since this is the end, I am disappointed that it ended like this.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
I know you have said that this is an 11 episode series, but I just can't believe it. There are so many loose ends that I'd actually become distressed to know that was the absolute end. Isn't there going to be a second series? Maybe some OVA to finish off the series? Come on, someone tell me this isn't the end, I'm desperate...
If I remember correctly, there is an OVA on January 28, but it's a short episode, so I have a feeling that it's leaning towards as an omake rather than to wrap up the plotholes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
Wouldn't you be a little worried if your son is a thirty year old virgin?
Why do you think I want my son to get laid by the age of 30? What's the point in it? "I want my son to have sex before he turns 30." Doesn't this sound a lot stranger? The importance has never been about one's virginity per se; it's about the implication. This is a question about individual values and perhaps cultural backgrounds, and it's not wrong when there are some people who are conservative about virginity. It may sound assumptive but I have the impression that virginity is quite a big issue in the West, but not always in the East.

At least from where I am, the more common worry for parents is to see their children still being single after turning 30 or so. That's why I'm just saying that shouldn't they be more worried about the political brouhaha first rather be happy about Shuu's development.

Final:

I was very disappointed with Shiki's final episode, and now this. Let's see where it went right and wrong.

I always like homophonic misunderstandings, something Shinbo is a genius at making gags out of. When Tsukimi said that she wanted to "kiru" the dress, Kuranosuke thought of "to wear (kiru, 着る)" when Tsukimi meant "to cut (kiru, 切る)". umee fansubbers didn't take a step further and try to explain this bit, so people who don't understand this would be left in dark. A little unfortunate, I would say.

I think Kuranosuke's on a power trip when he thought that he could go all the way to Fifth Avenue with his jellyfish dresses. Clearly, he has no idea how ruthless the fashion industry is, and that one-trick ponies just don't work in such environments.

Red herrings are the topic of this episode, and I don't necessarily mean it in a good way. Although Yoshio's goofiness and density are at it again here, the big problem about improperly-used red herrings is that they're anti-climatic. In other words, they're smoke bombs and they tend to piss viewers off because they felt cheated at it. More importantly, when red herrings can be effectively used to throw viewers off-track, this one is analogous to throwing a bomb that never detonated. Same for the afro girl who turns out to having no concern on the Nunz whatsoever.

But, perhaps the red herring over the construction misunderstand did have a positive effect on the show, since it finally dawned upon the Nuns that they may lose their home. But here comes another problem: the whole transition rushing-to-save-their-home to Tsukimi-and-Kuranosuke-becoming-Fashion-Week-winners is quite the stretch. Simply put, it's rushed and I don't like it.

Maybe the biggest problem about this episode, and this show as a whole, is the Shuu-Shōko relationship. So what happens now? Shōko now has a change of heart and is showing signs that she's smitten by Shuu's middle schoolboy-charms (which I think is introduced way too late in this show). But what about Shuu's infatuation over Tsukimi? It goes up in flames, just like that? Why do I get the feeling that we viewers were led on a wild goose chase? Inconclusive relationship is inconclusive, indeed.

This scene is funny, because I was totally expecting this resemblance gag to happen.

--

My thoughts on this show:

Kuragehime started out in the best possible way, by having a first episode that immediately made a lot of viewers tout this as one of the best shows of 2010. Including myself, a lot of people were smitten by the charms of perhaps the most likable group of female geeks, the Nuns, which includes the protagonist Tsukimi. The show revolves around Tsukimi, probably the most likable jellyfish nut with a heart of gold, and her touching flashbacks of her late mother. The extreme personality polarity in the association between her and Kuranosuke is what makes this show shine along with the Nuns' quirkiness.

But another significant aspect of Kuragehime that makes it work is its brand of comedy. It's probably the best shoujo comedy in recent anime since Nana's back in 2007, and each episode doesn't fail in delivering the funnies. The reason behind the success of its comedy is its freshness in every episode, tying down the gags to emphasis on chemistry between characters' idiosyncasies and parodying real-life instances to visually realize the gags. The charming OP alone offers a glimpse of how effective parodies are all over the place, and most of them work to the fullest extent.

But what marrs the show is perhaps the final episode, where there are a number of loose ends and a suspension of disbelief. Perhaps the overarching problem of the show is its short length, and I think the show would've benefited a lot from the more standard half-length series of 12-13 episodes. With the extra 1-2 episodes, the show could've wrap things up more coherently. Or, maybe a second season is in the works because I can see potential in the development in the Tsukimi, Shuu and Kuranosuke love triangle.

This show's a strong 8 for me. Clearly the most well-executed shoujo comedy in a long time that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with B Gata H Kei as the contender for best comedy of 2010. It suffered from its 11-episode length, but for all the laughter and giggles this show has offered me, I'll give it its deserved kudos. Noitamina has scored another goal with Kuragehime, and director Omori Takahiro's abilities is flourishing, especially when he has two shows under his belt that featured in our YIH article. Good job, Brains Base.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:53:53 AM by AC »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 04:50:55 AM »
11 Final:

HNS, Fumoffu!, and AC have already pretty much touched on everything I was going to say about the last episode.  Sure, it's fun, like they all are, but that just wasn't an ending.  If we don't get more of this, I will firebomb Brain's Base.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up