Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 12:09:08 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kuragehime  (Read 18407 times)

Offline Morathy

Re: Kuragehime
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
3:

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. Nothing beats a good cinderella story....
But they way the sisterhood treats kuranosuke still pisses me off. That little guy who loves trains goes as far as calling her "Meat" because she brought meat last time. I know they are NEETs and they have their rules and want to keep it simple, but it really gets me on edge that they will not even give her a chance.

Being a NEET it is all about just doing your own thing right. Dress(Appearance is not important) and act the way you want. If appearance doesn't matter then why would you shut out kuranosuke, she(They think she is a she) dresses the way she wants and it happens to be a hobby of her aswell? Doesn't that fit right into the NEET thing? Being a NEET doesn't require you to look nasty right?
It seams unreal to me that they can't look past her glamour and can't break past the stereotype of a pretty girl being bitchy, judgemental and the such.
Whatever... their reaction to kuranosuke still gets to me :<

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
Being a NEET it is all about just doing your own thing right. Dress(Appearance is not important) and act the way you want. If appearance doesn't matter then why would you shut out kuranosuke, she(They think she is a she) dresses the way she wants and it happens to be a hobby of her aswell? Doesn't that fit right into the NEET thing? Being a NEET doesn't require you to look nasty right?
It seams unreal to me that they can't look past her glamour and can't break past the stereotype of a pretty girl being bitchy, judgemental and the such.
Whatever... their reaction to kuranosuke still gets to me :<
Actually, I would argue that their treatment towards Kuranosuke is expected and important to the show. I agree that appearance means nothing to NEETs, but this is the reason why they treat Kuranosuke very differently. How do you think they see Kuranosuke who, at face value, seems to put emphasis on being fashionable and trendy? In the eyes of  NEETs, people like Kuranosuke are usually deemed as shallow and fake. So in a way, appearance don't matter to NEETs but it does for people like Kuranosuke, and fashionable people stick out like a sore thumb in the presence of NEETs.

And I think the portrayal of the Nuns is very real IMHO. It's not an absolute portrayal, but it's very real because it just shows how we love to judge no matter how much discourage it. NEETs are still people so the tendency to judge is not an exception to them, but the only person who has been able to see through Kuranosuke's flamboyance is Tsukimi, after all. I get the impression that Tsukimi never had a terrible experience with fashionable people like Kuranosuke (perhaps the opposite sex has always seemed alien to her) but the rest of the Nuns have.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
Ep 3

So much win.  I had a feeling the fact that Kuranosuke's family was political would be a corker, but I never expected anything like this.  The irony of Kuranosuke cross-dressing as a way of being labeled a "deviant" so he can weasel out of having to maintain a political dynasty was brilliant, considering how the prime minister behaves around him... knowing full well that he's a boy.  On a related but slightly more serious note, it'd appear that Kuranosuke is illegitimate.  When he tells his brother that he wants to see his mother (who his brother refers to as "Lina"), he's almost certainly talking about his biological mother, who appears to be a singer, and not the older woman who was standing next to his father when the prime minster visited.  There's something about politics and deviancy and/or infidelity that seem to go hand-in-hand, and I'm always interested when it gets explored in stories.

As others have hinted, there's something to the fact that Tsukimi is significantly younger than the other Sisters that will probably make her different as the story goes on (and more susceptible to the influence of Kuranosuke).  I love the "Questions you shouldn't ask the Sisters this week" thing, first starting with virginity and then following on with "how do you make a living".  As much as they deny it, they are, for all intents and purposed, NEETs.  It's interesting how they've managed to delude themselves into believing that the fact that they're mooching off their parents isn't their fault, but the fault of their parents for being so wealthy.  My first thought when Kuranosuke asked that question was that they were going answer by saying "social security", which would have been ironic given Kuranosuke's family's position in the government.  But, in a way, there's something even more pathetic about getting your income from an allowance.  On the other side of the coin, out of all the jobs they each had, Chieko's all-made-to-order online store is something that could be potentially lucrative.  It's like any internet business, I guess.  Some succeed, some fail.  This one, I'd have thought, isn't impossible to turn into a success.

Kuranosuke's brother falling for the cute version of Tsukimi is gonna be another corker, I'm hoping. 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36:56 AM »
4:

No show this season... no this YEAR has made me smile as much as Kuragehime.  It's not flawless, but it's just a metric shit-ton of fun.  I think there are a few moments where it is too spastastic, but I really don't care.  The overall feel of it just can't be beat.

- Tsukimi is obviously warming up to the idea of being "princessized" by Kuranosuke, as she didn't raise much a fit this time.

- That golf scene.  Hanamori is an awesome troll.

- Love through the eyes of the Predator!  Thermal imaging!

- Explosive nosebleed!

- "Naze ni?  WHY?  Naze ni!?"  The random English just makes me laugh.

- Kuranosuke is definitely a selfish personality isn't he?  First he's forcing his desires on Tsukimi, now because of his jealousy he forces Tsukimi to not be so charming anymore.  Selfish git.  If he weren't a woman, I swear...

- I was counting down to Shu's nosebleed.  I saw it coming, but it was still funny.  In the car, seat belt, adjust the mirror, pop!  Hey, he held in there.

- The Prime Minister is still a hoot.

- It's probably a bit early for Kuranosuke to be developing feelings for Tsukimi, but I'm holding out hope it was just jealousy for the reasons he stated:  he's used to being the one who's the center of girls attention, so his brother getting some and he not got to him.  But I'm not naive.  Then again, as Eddie Izzard put it, "most transvestites fancy girls", so...

Anyway, I'm still having fun here, but I would like to see the rest of the sisterhood be more than just random humor in the background.  It's only episode 4 tho, so I'm patient.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »
4:

Frankly, this is the other show I'm having just as much fun other than PSG, but for slightly different reasons. It's still charming, but this is the funniest episode yet.

During the sweet potatoes scene, Tsukimi's flashback struck me: many of us viewers kinda knew all along that Tsukimi's mom has passed away, but whatever happened to her dad? I could've sworn that he's by her death bed so why isn't he mentioned even once yet? Plus, if Tsukimi's dad has been there all along, then what actually made Tsukimi to be... androphobic in the first place? A bad memory? A simple case of being a nervewreck near boys? It didn't ruin my viewing pleasure but it made me wonder~

Chieko's creepy enthusiasm for kimonos did creep me out in an amusing way; kinda reminded me of how some people's enthusiasm can scare the shit out of the other party. Plus, Tsukimi doesn't seem to have a beef against getting dolled up, Guess the previous episode was just her experiencing a makeover shock.

The Takuya Kimura-lookalike chauffeur is a fetching troll, indeed.

That lady in the ladies' room just made me day :V

It's confirmed: Kuranosuke is jealous at seeing Tsukimi and her brother hugging. It's his sense of ownership towards Tsukimi that made him feel jealous, and to see her own brother doing something intimate just made him inexplicably pissed off. I know the feeling; I've been there before. I don't really know where his jealousy would go from here: we may see a romantic relationship between Kuranosuke and Tsukimi, although I won't be that happy for some reason.

I still find Tsukimi's flashback truly sentimental. Good job, Kuragehime~

I actually didn't notice Tsukimi's random English comment. Actually, I was absorbed in the brilliance of Kanazawa's performance for Tsukimi's entire monologue. It had me in stitches: the thermal imaging, the trauma, everything.

The whole slapstick comedy after the aquarium outing was hilarious, although it was somewhat random and over-the-top.

Epic meet between half-naked Tsukimi and Kuranosuke's brother. I laughed at his pathetic attempt to maintain his composure. "IT'S FUTILE!", I say~

Kuranosuke's uncle made me wonder if there are indeed RL political fruitcakes out there... hmm...

The whole love-between-virgins just takes the cake. Pure brilliance! Keep it up, Kuragehime! You have a great show going on~

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
Ep 4

Yeah, this show is just so delicious.  The developing love triangle is going to be very interesting and ironic in the sense that, as Kuranosuke realizes, he's getting jealous over seeing two virgins hug each other.  He's the odd one out, as far as this love triangle goes, given the fact that he's always attracted women to the point that they've fought over him, and has had a raft of ex-girlfriends.  Tsukimi and Shu are both virgins, and I wouldn't say the reasons for it are all that much different.  They both, essentially, hide in what they're good at, politics for Shu and jellyfish for Tsukimi, and, while it hasn't been as explicitly stated for Shu, neither realizes just how attractive they are (or could be) to the opposite sex.

The timing of this show is just impeccable.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:15:20 AM »
5:

Oh.  My.

GOD!

Offline Morathy

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
5:

Seeing the gang going to that meeting, all scared and stuff put a huge smile on my face, they are so lovable in those situations.
It didn't even occur to me until now that the other geeks could get a makeover too, damn this show rocks!
Bamba makeover ftw!

This show definetly got my vote for the best one this season.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 04:16:01 AM »
Ep 5

Oh God, the little puppet prime minister that kept popping up over Kuranosuke's shoulder while he was eating breakfast screaming at him "HE'S A VIRGIN"!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
5:

You have any idea how hilarious and charming this show really is? This show knows shoujo humor and quirky characters like the back of the hand.

What in God's name? When's the last time a show pulls off something like this for a punchline? A flashback as a movie trailer? HILARIOUS! Well, it begs the pressing question even more: How did Tsukimi become to be so awkward around guys in the first place? Well, we'll just see where it goes.

Kuranosuke's train of thought was just delightful to watch. You know how sickening it is to see a virgin surf the Net for kissing tips? It's the stuff kids do, so I can feel his pain as a brother of a guy clueless about the fairer sex.

Oh God, the little puppet prime minister that kept popping up over Kuranosuke's shoulder while he was eating breakfast screaming at him "HE'S A VIRGIN"!

You mean this?

Did anyone notice how Kuranosuke's dad was using a shimapan mug? Well, isn't that unexpected.

The whole fish-out-of-water experience by the Nunz at the career lady and the convention was just too cute and amusing. I'm just speechless: Tsukimi's nervewrecking experience and rapid heartbeat, the Vanguard, everything. But it was sympathetic to see what went through Tsukimi's head when sitting next to that guy. Her whole monologue was amazingly executed to show what an innocent crush felt like for a person who doesn't get along with guys in the first place.

That vixen, maneating bitch deserves to be crucified. At this rate, it's really going down the Cinderella route, so I just hope that the execution will be good; otherwise, it may come off a little too familiar. Still, I would like to see how this triangle works out. One thing I can predict is, we are going to have a "feel-good" ending for it.

Plastic/paper bags as umbrellas? It's an idea rational people would shun at getting stared at, and here we have them doing so. It's funny and sad.

5:

Oh.  My.

GOD!
No words can describe how epic this and the buildup are, and this is coming from me who doesn't even like Nicole Richie in the first place. YEE-HAW!

But Kuranosuke's words smack of so much truth: your look doesn't always reflect your true self. You always need to dress for the right occasion, no matter who you may be.

I look back at this episode, and I ask myself how awesome this episode is for having so many memorable screenshots.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
Thank you guys for telling me about this show. I never heard of it before you all mentioned it.

Impressions from episodes 1-5:
I LOVE THIS SHOW OHHH MYYYY GAWDDDDDD

It's funny that when I very seriously love a show, there's really not a lot I have to say about it. All my criticism melts away and I'm like a little kid with nothing but enthusiasm. 

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 06:13:47 AM »
Ah , now Tsukimi and friends have real goal , yeah ...

And advice for shuu, don't just judge the book from the cover :)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »
6:

Extreme Makeover, eat your eat heart out and move over.

I laughed at the whole "framing" approach, frankly because, as she puts it, even I don't know whether she should be pleased or feel left behind. It sounds like deft sarcasm.

For a long time, I personally disapprove the wearing of high heels (nothing against normal heels). They're just bad news for the ankles and feet in general, so I kinda pity seeing women wearing them, often in discomfort. Sometimes, I question just how far they would go just to look good in exchange of comfort.

You know, I honestly think that Shuu is too naive for the real world (let alone politics) but I can't help but feel sorry at his naïveté. I just think that he's not ready for all this. How is this fledging politician going to take hold of an important position when he doesn't know what dirty tricks the Japanese society commonly sees?

They're "stoned". And it's funny to see them being sleazeballs by buying all the stuff, simply because they can at the expense of Kuranosuke.

Kuranosuke's bling. And the Nunz didn't see his name on the card. Maybe it's because they paid more attention to the bling rather than on other details.

Man, the slut even knows how to be cute while directing her scandal.

Kuranosuke's attracted at Tsukimi's little details. How cute, but then again, don't we all find Tsukimi's habits cute. Perhaps the reason why Kuranosuke is so frustrated at the attraction is because he doesn't want to be romantically linked to her. He just wants to be friends with her, but the attraction is making it hard for him to stay that way.

Shuu is probably the most socially inept person I've seen when with a chick. To shove a woman to the floor and run off in shock mode is just so funny.

Well, I just find Kuranosuke's facial expression priceless.

And this one's priceless too, albeit for the wrong reasons. Kuranosuke's fruitcake of an uncle is just the show-stealer. I think this scene is burnt into my head. *shivers*

The chaffaeur is an easy man to pry out answers. Pfft. But on to something serious, yes, it can be traumatizing to see your old man fooling around with another woman. At this point, Kuranosuke must feel that he's at fault since his mother indirectly caused Shuu's gynophobic behavior.

The episode dropped a bomb right at the end. Is Shuu really Tsukimi's brother? There are so many ways to decipher this: Tsukimi and Shuu are siblings (which makes Kuranosuke related to Tsukimi), Tsukimi is reminded of her brother when looking at Shuu, etc. Whichever way it goes, it sure would be a major plot twist.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »
The episode dropped a bomb right at the end. Is Shuu really Tsukimi's brother? There are so many ways to decipher this: Tsukimi and Shuu are siblings (which makes Kuranosuke related to Tsukimi), Tsukimi is reminded of her brother when looking at Shuu, etc. Whichever way it goes, it sure would be a major plot twist.

Whoa!  No no no no.  She's been calling him "oniisama" for a while, probably because she can't remember his name.  In this case, she's referring to him as "Kuranosuke's oniisama" because that's how she associates him.  They're not at all related and she didn't get confused by how he looked, but by his behavior.  Wouldn't you?  Some dude you have a crush on comes all the way across town to see you just to shake your hand and then leaves.  That's pretty weird.

And she's probably worried.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 06:00:19 AM »

Whoa!  No no no no.  She's been calling him "oniisama" for a while, probably because she can't remember his name.  In this case, she's referring to him as "Kuranosuke's oniisama" because that's how she associates him.  They're not at all related and she didn't get confused by how he looked, but by his behavior.  Wouldn't you?  Some dude you have a crush on comes all the way across town to see you just to shake your hand and then leaves.  That's pretty weird.

And she's probably worried.
Argh, the ambiguity of the use of "Onii-sama". One of the things I don't quite like in the Japanese language.

If this is the case, I think that, in Shuu's mind, he just wants to self-check his fear of women. Note that he didn't have a nosebleed while being with that slut (although one may contend he only suffer nosebleeds with Tsukimi rather than with women in general; we haven't seen him socialize with women so we can't really tell). If he can shake her hand without becoming nervous, then he realizes that something's changed inside of him.

At least, that's how I would make sense of the situation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up