Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 11:41:36 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kuragehime  (Read 17963 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Kuragehime
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »
01:

Ladies and gentlemen, this may very well be the dark horse of the season, and a contender for one of the best of the year. It sounds premature to say such a thing so early in the show, but if the first minute alone did more than enough to render me completely smitten, this show is seriously speaking volumes.

This is a josei title, but even so, there's nothing cynical about what you see here. Tsukimi is one of the most likable female leads/geek in recent times, and her genuine love for jellyfish and flashbacks of her (late?) mother has grown on me instantaneously. Her relationship with the Nunz residents is quirky and cute, but underneath the fun and laughter lies the warm, family/sister-like connection. Their jokes on venturing through Shibuya are delightfully amusing, but at the same time there's a tinge of sadness of how the closeness of the relationship.

I love how the show makes subtle, unforceful references to the fujoushi community, social withdrawal and even anime/manga subculture, and how it does it with credibility. And the huge revelation at the end of the episode? Stupendously hilarious. It's cute, it's funny and yet it's not that off-the-wall.

This is one gem I'm keeping a very close eye on.

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

Re: Kuragehime
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
A Noitamina show a dark horse of any given season? I dunno about that.....

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »
I like this title.  It's genuine in a way that is believable but still interesting.  Now I'm curious what the title can do to distinguish itself from Genshiken or Welcome to the NHK!, but considering that this is told from a female perspective, I do have some high hopes for this one.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:52:04 PM »
A Noitamina show a dark horse of any given season? I dunno about that.....
I don't really care much about past instance of Noitamina shows, especially when the special timeslot doesn't apply to me who's living in SE Asia, anyway. My definition of "dark horse" is based purely on the content alone, and perhaps the director who's working on it. As it looks like Brains Base has created another entertaining show.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »
noitaminA and brains base implies quality content for me

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
I don't think this was a dark horse.  A Brains Base anime from a director with a proven track record and being shown in the Noitamina timeslot (which, given the quality of anime that have aired on that slot, these days means something).  If it wasn't going to be good, it was going to be a shocking disappointment.  After the first ep, the only question at this point is "how good".

Ep 1

Easily the best first ep of the season.  Easily.  I finished the episode with the stupidest grin on my face, so enjoyable I found it.  Instantly love the OP and the reference overload during the sequence.

Lots of oddball and eccentric characters, but the interactions between them are really believable and entertaining (I especially loved the scene where they go to the shut-in for advice) and they're sympathetic.  The seiyuu are good too.  I'm very quickly running of out of ways to say that Kana Hanazawa is amazing.  I can't help but compare her with Mamiko Noto, in that they both often voice cute characters in cute ways, but I really think Hanazawa is immensely more talented.  Even in this episode, Hanazawa leaves Noto in her dust (although, to be fair to Noto, she didn't exactly get a large number of lines to do much with, and the lines she did have kept getting interrupted).

This is an interesting take on it and a good explanation why nerds (like me) are going to find it so sympathetic.  I have a feeling there'll be something said about the difference between expectation and reality, particularly expectations from childhood.  It's interesting that the ED sequence shows all the characters as children, and there's constant reference towards Tsukimi's mother's prediction that she'll grow up to be a princess, which seems to crop up particularly when she's down about something.  There's almost something about "growing old" in this anime, as opposed to "coming of age", which most anime are about, and the ironic thing about it is that 18 isn't old by any stretch of the imagination.  (Neither is 26, but there are days where I have a huge amount of trouble convincing myself that's the case).

This is absolutely the must-watch anime of this season.  No questions about that.

Edit: Oh yeah, and what better way to get a first impression than from a fujoshi?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:53:10 PM by Sorrow-kun »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »
Kanazawa to be compared with Noto? I actually think that Kanazawa's voice can sometimes sound like Kawasumi Ayako's, especially during the comical moments.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »
1:

AH HA HA HA HA!!!  Now this is what anime is supposed to be:  fun!  From start to finish I loved everything I saw.  Back story, character introductions, setups, execution, humor, everything about this clicked so well.  Sure, I called it pretty quickly that the "Princess" was a transvestite, but I didn't care.  Delicious setup through irony?  Sign me up!

Oh God, the potential this one has is amazing.  DO IT NOITAMINA!
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:06:10 AM »
Just when we are getting smitten over this show, it's delayed until next week. Crap. What's up with the delayed telecasts of anime episodes lately, anyway?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
Gymnastics bitch.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »
Ep 2

The awkwardness was palpable.  I did think the Sisterhood was being overly irrational.  I think it would have been more interesting if they tried to have a conversation with Kuranosuke and found that they just couldn't, rather than going into their shells to the extreme they did, but I get the feeling that, later on in the show, they'll find out they have more in common with so called "hipsters" than they think.

The fact that Kuranosuke is the son of a famous politician is a corker.  There's so many different directions they can run with this.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 04:49:51 AM »
2:

If you can't name all the movie references in the intro, you fail at geekdom.  Though, I will admit, I'm not sure on the stereotypical Cho-Han dice game part.  It's something common in a lot of Japanese periodical films of the feudal -> Meiji era.

God, I haven't had this much fun with a show since Honey & Clover.  It's completely whimsical and random but quite funny.  Mayaya's obsession with the Three Kingdoms lore is pretty ridiculous, and yet I find myself appreciating her joke about the "moe" version of Three Kingdoms.  I once wrote that Koihime Musou would have Zhuge Liang rolling in his grave.  I have found a kindred spirit nerd.

I agree with Sorrow-kun that they were a bit too harsh with the stranger.  I get that they're pretty insecure around anybody new or hip.  It's actually kind of ironic that the "weirdos" get weirded out.  I hate to use that term, but that's the best one I can come up with.  They really are girls who purposely live outside of society.  So, society scares them.  Again, it is a rather extreme reaction and behavior, and something that I would be embarrassed about if I ever knew people who did such a thing.  I just understand it is all.

Then again, their resolve is only as thick as the cuts of meat going into the hot pot.  I think things got reconciled there a bit too easily, but whatever.  It was properly set up in the episode, and though Transvestite-kun had no way of knowing that they lust for Matsuzaka beef (and who wouldn't?), alls well that ends in a well.  Or something.

And, yes, he being the son of a diet member is ****ing delicious.  You get the idea that dad knows of his son's habits and strongly disapproves, both for his own beliefs and for his political standing.  Big brother seems to be the compromiser and the "good son", but you get the idea he doesn't hate his little bro or his hobby.  He's just protecting everybody from blowing the whole situation sky high.

I find it fascinating that the media hasn't blown that story, tho.  Shit, US politicians can't get away with jack and all their family secrets get aired to the public, too.  It's disgusting and makes me wish I could legally murder some members of the press, but that's life.  And I know the Japanese equivalent to the paparazzi is just as loathsome and vicious, so yeah.  But, hell, I'm not going to let that bother me too much.  The show's fun and I'm willing to let it take me where it wants to go.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »
2:

I'm still loving every minute of the show. Like TIF have said, the show is whimsical, funny and honestly cute. Tsukimi's nerd freakouts are just do ado-wable. I can't relate to Mayaya's nerdy passion for Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but I can relate to those around Mayaya and feel that she can go overboard with her passion. And yes, she echoed my sentiments at the industrial moe aspect.

As far as the Kuranosuke and the Nuns interaction are involved, I see some interesting interaction dynamics between the characters. I can't help but ask why Tsukimi isn't as cold towards Kuranosuke as the rest of the Nuns. Is it simply because she saved the jellyfish? I honestly think that unlike the Nuns, Tsukimi doesn't have adverse feelings towards hipsters. Sure, she may not blend well with hipsters but this doesn't necessarily mean that she hates them. She does see the good in Kuranosuke and is willing to cut him some slack.

The Nuns however, are different with the treatment. It's not that about them seeing themselves as victims of the hipster community; it's just them being intolerant towards hipsters. I don't condone it, but I can understand where their sentiments come from: hipsters can be shallow judgmental people. But here's the irony: the Nuns have become judgmental in the process and immediately regarded Kuranosuke as one of them when he's actually a nice guy. He may be incisive at times, but he only means well. It's social etiquette under the magnifying glass here. Their immediate reconciliation after receiving the Matsutaka beef is too convenient, but it's not hard to swallow either.

A trasvestite son of a diet member... wow, two contrasting worlds under one roof. I kinda admire Kuranosuke's brother for trying to keep it together out of brotherly love.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »
3:

I can't help but appreciate a show that keeps putting a smile on my face.  I don't know really what to say about this episode but that the clash of subcultures is not going to end anytime soon. 

Kuranosuke is probably wrong in his overbearing nature.  He's literally forcing his world onto Tsukimi.  However, Tsukimi's reasons for being so counter-culture are more like, ingrained environmental behaviors.  The sisterhood is her life, so doing something against the wishes of the sisterhood would trouble her life.  In a way, she's not making a decision for herself what she really wants.  The sisterhood allows her to not have to worry about anything just so long as she sticks to "the rules".  Kuranosuke, on the other hand, has a selfish motivation to turn Tsukimi from frog to princess.  Part of it might be a genuine wish to help her, even if the "help" he's giving her isn't what she wants.  The rest is his own want to test his skills at beautifying people.  In his mind, all women are born to be princesses (a theme echoed by Tsukimi and her mother in the first episode).  But he's adding a new dimension to it:  whether they want to or not.

I admit, I saw this coming eventually, but I was hoping that the whole point wouldn't be that "being beautiful is good;  not being beautiful is bad".  So far, I don't think they're quite shoving that plot concept down our throats, but I could see it going that way.  The rest of the sisterhood might not go along with it, but Tsukimi has already had her first taste of what "normalcy" can be like, and while she hated it initially, she's found something about it appealing.

Couple of other points:

- I am very pleased we're dealing with some 30 somethings here.  I don't think Tsukimi is that old, but the rest of the sisterhood is.  That's fascinating to me.  In another post I pointed out how youth is desirable in feminine quality in Japan.  If this show is going to explore the middle age a bit, I'm all for it.  It's something that really has never been touched upon in anime as far as I know.

- The Prime Minister Uncle was a hoot.  One thing about the Japanese, they don't have a problem poking fun at their politicians.

I love this show.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »
3:

Aww, this show is so charming that I can't find myself to hate it in any way.

But TIF is right: Kuranosuke is a little invasive in trying to beautify Tsukimi, albeit it's all for the right intentions. I don't find his concept of "everyone is beautiful" wrong; in fact, it's a good concept of him. I just wondering what does he mean by that sentence. How does he ultimately define "beauty"? I find it noble that he can befriend the Nuns despite their initial cold treatment and rabid nerdy enthusiasm (one valid way to show that he recognizes "inner beauty") but at the same time, he's also into makeup, fashionable stuff and such which is more about "outer beauty". It's a contradiction that makes him a little unusual... and interesting.

But there's one thing I truly agree with Kuranosuke: polishing a diamond in the rough is more fun to watch. It's classic Cinderella storytelling but it still works, so I'm not sure if it's a trope for now. I actually thought for a second "Man, bishoujo Tsukimi is damn ado-wable!".

You know one thing I like about Tsukimi? He hasn't exploded over getting a makeover from Kuranosuke, despite being against makeup and stuff. There's no sense of cynicism to make her hateful towards Kuranosuke, and that's what makes her likable.

One thing I feel good about this episode: the Nuns do make an honest living. For a minute, I thought that they're living off their parents shamelessly and they're even justifying their actions but then comes the curveball to show that the Nuns still a level of decency to make ends meet.

And I have to give it to Kuranosuke's brother. Not only is he a good brother who's very laid-back for a Japanese politician, he's also earned my vote for his Hosaka-Imagination moment.

Just to end off my post, here are two screenshots that I just have to poke fun at:

Apparently, Takuya Kimura realizes that GATSBY ads can only get you so far~

Is this show a parody or something...?

Offline Morathy

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
3:

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. Nothing beats a good cinderella story....
But they way the sisterhood treats kuranosuke still pisses me off. That little guy who loves trains goes as far as calling her "Meat" because she brought meat last time. I know they are NEETs and they have their rules and want to keep it simple, but it really gets me on edge that they will not even give her a chance.

Being a NEET it is all about just doing your own thing right. Dress(Appearance is not important) and act the way you want. If appearance doesn't matter then why would you shut out kuranosuke, she(They think she is a she) dresses the way she wants and it happens to be a hobby of her aswell? Doesn't that fit right into the NEET thing? Being a NEET doesn't require you to look nasty right?
It seams unreal to me that they can't look past her glamour and can't break past the stereotype of a pretty girl being bitchy, judgemental and the such.
Whatever... their reaction to kuranosuke still gets to me :<

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
Being a NEET it is all about just doing your own thing right. Dress(Appearance is not important) and act the way you want. If appearance doesn't matter then why would you shut out kuranosuke, she(They think she is a she) dresses the way she wants and it happens to be a hobby of her aswell? Doesn't that fit right into the NEET thing? Being a NEET doesn't require you to look nasty right?
It seams unreal to me that they can't look past her glamour and can't break past the stereotype of a pretty girl being bitchy, judgemental and the such.
Whatever... their reaction to kuranosuke still gets to me :<
Actually, I would argue that their treatment towards Kuranosuke is expected and important to the show. I agree that appearance means nothing to NEETs, but this is the reason why they treat Kuranosuke very differently. How do you think they see Kuranosuke who, at face value, seems to put emphasis on being fashionable and trendy? In the eyes of  NEETs, people like Kuranosuke are usually deemed as shallow and fake. So in a way, appearance don't matter to NEETs but it does for people like Kuranosuke, and fashionable people stick out like a sore thumb in the presence of NEETs.

And I think the portrayal of the Nuns is very real IMHO. It's not an absolute portrayal, but it's very real because it just shows how we love to judge no matter how much discourage it. NEETs are still people so the tendency to judge is not an exception to them, but the only person who has been able to see through Kuranosuke's flamboyance is Tsukimi, after all. I get the impression that Tsukimi never had a terrible experience with fashionable people like Kuranosuke (perhaps the opposite sex has always seemed alien to her) but the rest of the Nuns have.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
Ep 3

So much win.  I had a feeling the fact that Kuranosuke's family was political would be a corker, but I never expected anything like this.  The irony of Kuranosuke cross-dressing as a way of being labeled a "deviant" so he can weasel out of having to maintain a political dynasty was brilliant, considering how the prime minister behaves around him... knowing full well that he's a boy.  On a related but slightly more serious note, it'd appear that Kuranosuke is illegitimate.  When he tells his brother that he wants to see his mother (who his brother refers to as "Lina"), he's almost certainly talking about his biological mother, who appears to be a singer, and not the older woman who was standing next to his father when the prime minster visited.  There's something about politics and deviancy and/or infidelity that seem to go hand-in-hand, and I'm always interested when it gets explored in stories.

As others have hinted, there's something to the fact that Tsukimi is significantly younger than the other Sisters that will probably make her different as the story goes on (and more susceptible to the influence of Kuranosuke).  I love the "Questions you shouldn't ask the Sisters this week" thing, first starting with virginity and then following on with "how do you make a living".  As much as they deny it, they are, for all intents and purposed, NEETs.  It's interesting how they've managed to delude themselves into believing that the fact that they're mooching off their parents isn't their fault, but the fault of their parents for being so wealthy.  My first thought when Kuranosuke asked that question was that they were going answer by saying "social security", which would have been ironic given Kuranosuke's family's position in the government.  But, in a way, there's something even more pathetic about getting your income from an allowance.  On the other side of the coin, out of all the jobs they each had, Chieko's all-made-to-order online store is something that could be potentially lucrative.  It's like any internet business, I guess.  Some succeed, some fail.  This one, I'd have thought, isn't impossible to turn into a success.

Kuranosuke's brother falling for the cute version of Tsukimi is gonna be another corker, I'm hoping. 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36:56 AM »
4:

No show this season... no this YEAR has made me smile as much as Kuragehime.  It's not flawless, but it's just a metric shit-ton of fun.  I think there are a few moments where it is too spastastic, but I really don't care.  The overall feel of it just can't be beat.

- Tsukimi is obviously warming up to the idea of being "princessized" by Kuranosuke, as she didn't raise much a fit this time.

- That golf scene.  Hanamori is an awesome troll.

- Love through the eyes of the Predator!  Thermal imaging!

- Explosive nosebleed!

- "Naze ni?  WHY?  Naze ni!?"  The random English just makes me laugh.

- Kuranosuke is definitely a selfish personality isn't he?  First he's forcing his desires on Tsukimi, now because of his jealousy he forces Tsukimi to not be so charming anymore.  Selfish git.  If he weren't a woman, I swear...

- I was counting down to Shu's nosebleed.  I saw it coming, but it was still funny.  In the car, seat belt, adjust the mirror, pop!  Hey, he held in there.

- The Prime Minister is still a hoot.

- It's probably a bit early for Kuranosuke to be developing feelings for Tsukimi, but I'm holding out hope it was just jealousy for the reasons he stated:  he's used to being the one who's the center of girls attention, so his brother getting some and he not got to him.  But I'm not naive.  Then again, as Eddie Izzard put it, "most transvestites fancy girls", so...

Anyway, I'm still having fun here, but I would like to see the rest of the sisterhood be more than just random humor in the background.  It's only episode 4 tho, so I'm patient.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »
4:

Frankly, this is the other show I'm having just as much fun other than PSG, but for slightly different reasons. It's still charming, but this is the funniest episode yet.

During the sweet potatoes scene, Tsukimi's flashback struck me: many of us viewers kinda knew all along that Tsukimi's mom has passed away, but whatever happened to her dad? I could've sworn that he's by her death bed so why isn't he mentioned even once yet? Plus, if Tsukimi's dad has been there all along, then what actually made Tsukimi to be... androphobic in the first place? A bad memory? A simple case of being a nervewreck near boys? It didn't ruin my viewing pleasure but it made me wonder~

Chieko's creepy enthusiasm for kimonos did creep me out in an amusing way; kinda reminded me of how some people's enthusiasm can scare the shit out of the other party. Plus, Tsukimi doesn't seem to have a beef against getting dolled up, Guess the previous episode was just her experiencing a makeover shock.

The Takuya Kimura-lookalike chauffeur is a fetching troll, indeed.

That lady in the ladies' room just made me day :V

It's confirmed: Kuranosuke is jealous at seeing Tsukimi and her brother hugging. It's his sense of ownership towards Tsukimi that made him feel jealous, and to see her own brother doing something intimate just made him inexplicably pissed off. I know the feeling; I've been there before. I don't really know where his jealousy would go from here: we may see a romantic relationship between Kuranosuke and Tsukimi, although I won't be that happy for some reason.

I still find Tsukimi's flashback truly sentimental. Good job, Kuragehime~

I actually didn't notice Tsukimi's random English comment. Actually, I was absorbed in the brilliance of Kanazawa's performance for Tsukimi's entire monologue. It had me in stitches: the thermal imaging, the trauma, everything.

The whole slapstick comedy after the aquarium outing was hilarious, although it was somewhat random and over-the-top.

Epic meet between half-naked Tsukimi and Kuranosuke's brother. I laughed at his pathetic attempt to maintain his composure. "IT'S FUTILE!", I say~

Kuranosuke's uncle made me wonder if there are indeed RL political fruitcakes out there... hmm...

The whole love-between-virgins just takes the cake. Pure brilliance! Keep it up, Kuragehime! You have a great show going on~

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
Ep 4

Yeah, this show is just so delicious.  The developing love triangle is going to be very interesting and ironic in the sense that, as Kuranosuke realizes, he's getting jealous over seeing two virgins hug each other.  He's the odd one out, as far as this love triangle goes, given the fact that he's always attracted women to the point that they've fought over him, and has had a raft of ex-girlfriends.  Tsukimi and Shu are both virgins, and I wouldn't say the reasons for it are all that much different.  They both, essentially, hide in what they're good at, politics for Shu and jellyfish for Tsukimi, and, while it hasn't been as explicitly stated for Shu, neither realizes just how attractive they are (or could be) to the opposite sex.

The timing of this show is just impeccable.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:15:20 AM »
5:

Oh.  My.

GOD!

Offline Morathy

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
5:

Seeing the gang going to that meeting, all scared and stuff put a huge smile on my face, they are so lovable in those situations.
It didn't even occur to me until now that the other geeks could get a makeover too, damn this show rocks!
Bamba makeover ftw!

This show definetly got my vote for the best one this season.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 04:16:01 AM »
Ep 5

Oh God, the little puppet prime minister that kept popping up over Kuranosuke's shoulder while he was eating breakfast screaming at him "HE'S A VIRGIN"!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
5:

You have any idea how hilarious and charming this show really is? This show knows shoujo humor and quirky characters like the back of the hand.

What in God's name? When's the last time a show pulls off something like this for a punchline? A flashback as a movie trailer? HILARIOUS! Well, it begs the pressing question even more: How did Tsukimi become to be so awkward around guys in the first place? Well, we'll just see where it goes.

Kuranosuke's train of thought was just delightful to watch. You know how sickening it is to see a virgin surf the Net for kissing tips? It's the stuff kids do, so I can feel his pain as a brother of a guy clueless about the fairer sex.

Oh God, the little puppet prime minister that kept popping up over Kuranosuke's shoulder while he was eating breakfast screaming at him "HE'S A VIRGIN"!

You mean this?

Did anyone notice how Kuranosuke's dad was using a shimapan mug? Well, isn't that unexpected.

The whole fish-out-of-water experience by the Nunz at the career lady and the convention was just too cute and amusing. I'm just speechless: Tsukimi's nervewrecking experience and rapid heartbeat, the Vanguard, everything. But it was sympathetic to see what went through Tsukimi's head when sitting next to that guy. Her whole monologue was amazingly executed to show what an innocent crush felt like for a person who doesn't get along with guys in the first place.

That vixen, maneating bitch deserves to be crucified. At this rate, it's really going down the Cinderella route, so I just hope that the execution will be good; otherwise, it may come off a little too familiar. Still, I would like to see how this triangle works out. One thing I can predict is, we are going to have a "feel-good" ending for it.

Plastic/paper bags as umbrellas? It's an idea rational people would shun at getting stared at, and here we have them doing so. It's funny and sad.

5:

Oh.  My.

GOD!
No words can describe how epic this and the buildup are, and this is coming from me who doesn't even like Nicole Richie in the first place. YEE-HAW!

But Kuranosuke's words smack of so much truth: your look doesn't always reflect your true self. You always need to dress for the right occasion, no matter who you may be.

I look back at this episode, and I ask myself how awesome this episode is for having so many memorable screenshots.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
Thank you guys for telling me about this show. I never heard of it before you all mentioned it.

Impressions from episodes 1-5:
I LOVE THIS SHOW OHHH MYYYY GAWDDDDDD

It's funny that when I very seriously love a show, there's really not a lot I have to say about it. All my criticism melts away and I'm like a little kid with nothing but enthusiasm. 

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 06:13:47 AM »
Ah , now Tsukimi and friends have real goal , yeah ...

And advice for shuu, don't just judge the book from the cover :)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »
6:

Extreme Makeover, eat your eat heart out and move over.

I laughed at the whole "framing" approach, frankly because, as she puts it, even I don't know whether she should be pleased or feel left behind. It sounds like deft sarcasm.

For a long time, I personally disapprove the wearing of high heels (nothing against normal heels). They're just bad news for the ankles and feet in general, so I kinda pity seeing women wearing them, often in discomfort. Sometimes, I question just how far they would go just to look good in exchange of comfort.

You know, I honestly think that Shuu is too naive for the real world (let alone politics) but I can't help but feel sorry at his naďveté. I just think that he's not ready for all this. How is this fledging politician going to take hold of an important position when he doesn't know what dirty tricks the Japanese society commonly sees?

They're "stoned". And it's funny to see them being sleazeballs by buying all the stuff, simply because they can at the expense of Kuranosuke.

Kuranosuke's bling. And the Nunz didn't see his name on the card. Maybe it's because they paid more attention to the bling rather than on other details.

Man, the slut even knows how to be cute while directing her scandal.

Kuranosuke's attracted at Tsukimi's little details. How cute, but then again, don't we all find Tsukimi's habits cute. Perhaps the reason why Kuranosuke is so frustrated at the attraction is because he doesn't want to be romantically linked to her. He just wants to be friends with her, but the attraction is making it hard for him to stay that way.

Shuu is probably the most socially inept person I've seen when with a chick. To shove a woman to the floor and run off in shock mode is just so funny.

Well, I just find Kuranosuke's facial expression priceless.

And this one's priceless too, albeit for the wrong reasons. Kuranosuke's fruitcake of an uncle is just the show-stealer. I think this scene is burnt into my head. *shivers*

The chaffaeur is an easy man to pry out answers. Pfft. But on to something serious, yes, it can be traumatizing to see your old man fooling around with another woman. At this point, Kuranosuke must feel that he's at fault since his mother indirectly caused Shuu's gynophobic behavior.

The episode dropped a bomb right at the end. Is Shuu really Tsukimi's brother? There are so many ways to decipher this: Tsukimi and Shuu are siblings (which makes Kuranosuke related to Tsukimi), Tsukimi is reminded of her brother when looking at Shuu, etc. Whichever way it goes, it sure would be a major plot twist.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »
The episode dropped a bomb right at the end. Is Shuu really Tsukimi's brother? There are so many ways to decipher this: Tsukimi and Shuu are siblings (which makes Kuranosuke related to Tsukimi), Tsukimi is reminded of her brother when looking at Shuu, etc. Whichever way it goes, it sure would be a major plot twist.

Whoa!  No no no no.  She's been calling him "oniisama" for a while, probably because she can't remember his name.  In this case, she's referring to him as "Kuranosuke's oniisama" because that's how she associates him.  They're not at all related and she didn't get confused by how he looked, but by his behavior.  Wouldn't you?  Some dude you have a crush on comes all the way across town to see you just to shake your hand and then leaves.  That's pretty weird.

And she's probably worried.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 06:00:19 AM »

Whoa!  No no no no.  She's been calling him "oniisama" for a while, probably because she can't remember his name.  In this case, she's referring to him as "Kuranosuke's oniisama" because that's how she associates him.  They're not at all related and she didn't get confused by how he looked, but by his behavior.  Wouldn't you?  Some dude you have a crush on comes all the way across town to see you just to shake your hand and then leaves.  That's pretty weird.

And she's probably worried.
Argh, the ambiguity of the use of "Onii-sama". One of the things I don't quite like in the Japanese language.

If this is the case, I think that, in Shuu's mind, he just wants to self-check his fear of women. Note that he didn't have a nosebleed while being with that slut (although one may contend he only suffer nosebleeds with Tsukimi rather than with women in general; we haven't seen him socialize with women so we can't really tell). If he can shake her hand without becoming nervous, then he realizes that something's changed inside of him.

At least, that's how I would make sense of the situation.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
The overused joke of the nosebleed has a particular qualifier though.  The nosebleeder is supposed to be a virgin and a virgin only.  It sometimes gets thrown about with non virgins, but it's generally supposed to be a sign of purity.  The inexperienced can't take it, so to speak.

Besides, Shu had two possible defense mechanisms going there.  He was more desperate to leave than anything else, so he was too afraid to notice her naughty bits.  He also wasn't wearing his glasses, so he probably couldn't see her that well anyway.  He didn't get close to a virgin reaction until after she nuzzled him and told him how "good" it was.  That was the breaking point and he had to go.  Like right now.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »
7:

Hey TIF, if you're still thinking about your upcoming article about how lead characters are lately more impassioned than cerebral with their approaches to solving problems, then maybe Kuranosuke is (maybe) another valid example. Here we have a passionate dude who speaks before thinking properly, thereby landing himself in hot water. Perhaps we can have a safe assumption that things turn out for the best. He just knows that he should what is right, even if it means fighting for an apartment for people who aren't really that fazed about the sell-off, and without thinking how he's gonna get enough money.

Purifying the place with salt. Haha, hilarious.

Do not tick off a jealous woman, because things always turns ugly. I can imagine how things would get blown out of proportion if she finds out that she was compared with a DUDE who is Shuu's younger brother. Man, that would be epic.

Yes, it's being said before: Kuranosuke still has much to learn about the Nunzs' feelings. The way he shrugs off Chieko's prized dolls just shows how insensitive he still is towards the residents of the apartment. Plus, he's still insensitive enough to admit that he won't sell off his own clothes and would rather resort to other ways to make some dough.

Oh man, this is so cool. Chieko learns how to pull off a torpedo! Who did she learn this move from? E. Honda?

Shuu just has no way of winning over the vixen. He's too pure and naive to do that. Poor Shuu; the only person clever and worldly enough to defeat her is probably his brother Kuranosuke.

Lastly, I'm not sure how these scandals work in real life. In real life, would it matter if Kuranosuke's dad had only gone to second base with his mom back then? Does it matter that he didn't go all the way? Scandals are based on ambiguous news IMHO, so I'm not so sure myself. Isn't it scandalous enough that Kuranosuke can still blackmail him for making out with his biological mother? More importantly, how was Kuranosuke even conceived when his dad only went up to second base?

Offline keiko777

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 04:39:04 PM »
Lastly, I'm not sure how these scandals work in real life. In real life, would it matter if Kuranosuke's dad had only gone to second base with his mom back then? Does it matter that he didn't go all the way? Scandals are based on ambiguous news IMHO, so I'm not so sure myself. Isn't it scandalous enough that Kuranosuke can still blackmail him for making out with his biological mother? More importantly, how was Kuranosuke even conceived when his dad only went up to second base?

I think Kuranosuke's dad was saying that he didn't get any farther with her that night.  But yeah, really, isn't it enough of a scandal that Kuranosuke is, in fact, ilegitimate?  I'm assuming that is still a secret from the public, or else it wouldn't cause a scandal that Kuranosuke's father was having an affair way back when.  Then again, Kuranosuke's clearly not 100% Japanese, and I can't help but think that the media would have speculated about that.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »
Hey TIF, if you're still thinking about your upcoming article about how lead characters are lately more impassioned than cerebral with their approaches to solving problems, then maybe Kuranosuke is (maybe) another valid example.

Kuranosuke is a great example.  My problem is there aren't enough rational and logical people around him to contrast.  The nuns don't offer much except as a basis for them to not get involved, so there really isn't a voice of reason that he acts against.  Besides, Kuranosuke is coming off an extremely selfish in nearly everything he does.  I'm not even 100% sure what his motivation is to help the girls with the redevelopment plans.  Aside from that being where they live, what is his connection?  Tsukimi and the others don't necessarily seem overly frustrated by the whole ordeal.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 07:16:57 AM »
8:

I just realized that the sheer number of screenshots I keep posting for each episode just shows how much fun I have watching this week after week (hope I'm not going against some forum rule :P). It's not like PSG: this show knows what's funny and is at it yet again. Good for you.

It's funny to see how the Nuns actually has no classy taste. The less classy an item is, the more appealing they find it to be. But it's interesting to take note that just because some products are high in value, it doesn't mean that they're hot in demand. Why sell something worthy when nobody's buying it... which brings me to my next point:

It's amazing to see that anything that's small and cute are sellable. I just think that the Japanese has this certain obsession with the concept of "Kawaii"-ness. Yes, it's a concept, not just an adjective anymore. I can buy this instance, simply because I've seen such instance first-hand for too many times already.

Seriously, I don't know which is funnier: the lack of common sense to the "After" Sister approach, or how Chieko's style is universal. Or one-size-fits-all. And Chieko is a sewing machine. +2 for you.

You know, there's always something special about seeing a girl in a Japanese wedding outfit. Maybe it's because of novelty: we wouldn't feel the same when we see a traditional Western wedding dress in an anime, I reckon. Probably, that's why I can understand that fuzzy (and suffocating) feeling Kuranosuke went through. And the Vicks VapoRub, my favorite ointment for blocked noses. Classic.

More importantly, I find how Kuranosuke's mother's love for dresses and Tsukimi's love for jellyfish-like dresses click, amazingly well-executed. It just clicks so well and I can't really complain anything about it. Which is why I thought the whole dress-making suggestion as their winning formula very credible. I just want to see how successful their suggestion would go, although not as ridiculous.

But funnily, this episode doesn't belong to the two. It belongs solely to the chauffeur, Yoshio. In fact, I'd go as far as giving him a multi-award for Best Troll/Sell-Out/Merc Nut/Idiot for confusing Shuu and Sugi on the phone, and blowing his own cover. And maybe getting the most (in)conspicuous PI to grace anime.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
9:

It's so cute to see Tsukimi's inner geek taking over her when Kuranosuke made that half-assed sketch. Yeah, once you hit a geek/nut in the soft spot, he/she's bound to bitch over it. And Yoshio's still the fetching yet goofy sell-out; so easy to pry information out of him.

A white unicorn followed by Shouko's Hundred-Fists? Man, did that hit me right in the kisser. Hilarious double-bomb dropped right there. That, and Shuu's dad's incisive question.

I'm not sure if Shouko's conclusion about Shuu is necessarily true. This may be the true in this case but it may be the case that Shuu is too naturally nice to the opposite sex (no matter how slutty the woman is), not that he enjoys being controlled by women.

Bizarre conversation between the kooky Prime Minister and Shuu's dad. They weren't shocked or even disappointed that this incident has happened. They're actually happier that Shuu has supposedly stepped out of the virginity zone, when sensibly they should've been worried more about the political brouhaha this would create. Maybe this would've applied more for them than Shuu, but it's something a little weird. Just sayin'.

There are so many things wrong with this scene, I just don't know where to start with.

And yeah, another touching monologue by Tsukimi about her childhood. That's so nice~

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
This has definitely got to be the best feel-good anime for this year. I find so many moments in this that I can smile about. Given the fairy tale like premise, I wasn't expecting to like this a lot and when I started watching I was very cynical about this program. As the episodes went by though, I lost all my cynicism and, not only due to the fact that there was more to it than it's fairy tale style plot, but because this is a great show.

10:

Has Shuu actually fallen for Shōko Inari? I assumed right up until I saw his face after slapping her that he found her an annoyance and wanted her to just go away for good. But after? I think he actually fell for her, which I was slightly upset about since I just thought he'd finally manned up and slapped the bitch like she deserves, until I saw her blushing slightly as she looked at Shuu leaving. I'm quite happy that I don't actually know how these romance are going to end up at all, it's good when something like this is a genuine surprise.

As for the scenes with Tsukimi and Kuranosuke, it is quite sweet, and I can enjoy this without forcibly ignoring the cynic inside of me. Chieko's mach 2 sowing amused me, despite the gag being repeated several times. Am I the only one though that thinks the dressed produced at the end doesn't look at all like the jellyfish it was based on? I'm not exactly aware of Japanese females fashion, but I'd say it was a good dress, and will provide the money they need (provided they make more) to save their home.

I was shocked to see their home with building preparations on it, I hadn't thought they could get it up this soon, though, looking at the fact there are only 2 or 3 episodes left, I guess they really had to get the story moving.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2010, 06:30:43 AM »
This has definitely got to be the best feel-good anime for this year. I find so many moments in this that I can smile about. Given the fairy tale like premise, I wasn't expecting to like this a lot and when I started watching I was very cynical about this program. As the episodes went by though, I lost all my cynicism and, not only due to the fact that there was more to it than it's fairy tale style plot, but because this is a great show.
Actually, I think it's more appropriate to say that this is a perfect example of shoujo comedy/drama done right. The comedy has been very consistent and fresh week and week, and the characters' colourful and likable personalities have been striking all the right chords.

10:

This episode confirms that Kuranosuke is indeed an earnest dude who always means well, but at the same time, he's reckless and self-centered. I've seen experienced people behind the sewing machine, so I can safely point out that using your own body to approximate the dress is NOT the way to make a dress. The only reason the tedious task pulled through is because of Chieko and Tsukimi, with Kuranosuke mainly in charge of moral support. Speaking of Chieko, she's my favorite Nun. Gotta give props to the seiyuu for making her character shine, even if she's a supporting one.

Man, Shuu is not just naive; just like Shōko thought of, he's a middle school boy. And a very square one too. You have any idea how lame his dreamy imagination is, especially with the 80s sappy music playing at the back?

Has Shuu actually fallen for Shōko Inari? I assumed right up until I saw his face after slapping her that he found her an annoyance and wanted her to just go away for good. But after? I think he actually fell for her, which I was slightly upset about since I just thought he'd finally manned up and slapped the bitch like she deserves, until I saw her blushing slightly as she looked at Shuu leaving. I'm quite happy that I don't actually know how these romance are going to end up at all, it's good when something like this is a genuine surprise.
I'm not quite sure if that's the case. Judging from his past actions towards Shōko, he doesn't genuinely like her but has been entertaining her because of moral obligations (<-- he's square, after all). He hates her, but at least wants to cut ties with her the most proper and justified way, which is nigh impossible because Shōko is practically having him wrapped around her finger. Shuu slapping her is a sign that Shōko crossed the line with her manipulation (and proving that he hates her too). The key line in the scene is Shuu saying "She wasn't dead", which feels more of a disappointment than contempt. This may imply that he does to get rid of her, but since she's not dead, he's still obliged to entertain her again.

I was a little curious about the purpose behind Banba and Mayaya meeting that hipster. Was it just a random experience, or did the scene have a specific purpose? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I can't point out its significance. Peculiar.

Although this show has been great and all, but I worry about how this show is coming to an end when there's only one episode left. We have three things needed to be resolved by next week: the Nunz saving their home, the Shuu-Shōko relationship, and Tsukimi's inner conflicts when dealing with Shuu. I doubt that all three of them can be resolved nicely within a single episode, so it's worrisome. It would've been better if this had been a 13-episode series instead.

Let's see how it goes for the final episode.

Offline Yggberry

• どうぞよろしくお願いします

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »

Bizarre conversation between the kooky Prime Minister and Shuu's dad. They weren't shocked or even disappointed that this incident has happened. They're actually happier that Shuu has supposedly stepped out of the virginity zone, when sensibly they should've been worried more about the political brouhaha this would create. Maybe this would've applied more for them than Shuu, but it's something a little weird. Just sayin'.

Wouldn't you be a little worried if your son is a thirty year old virgin?

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
Won't go into too much detail since I'm about to doze off anytime

11:
I was a little curious about the purpose behind Banba and Mayaya meeting that hipster. Was it just a random experience, or did the scene have a specific purpose? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I can't point out its significance. Peculiar.
Well, the hipster seems to be revealed as a just leading model / MC of the fashion contest with a fetish for afros, who happens to be an acquaintance with Kuranosuke. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole coincidental meeting between the nuns and the girl didn't seem to me as anything more than a red herring.

Although this show has been great and all, but I worry about how this show is coming to an end when there's only one episode left. We have three things needed to be resolved by next week: the Nunz saving their home, the Shuu-Shōko relationship, and Tsukimi's inner conflicts when dealing with Shuu. I doubt that all three of them can be resolved nicely within a single episode, so it's worrisome. It would've been better if this had been a 13-episode series instead.
Unfortunately, your predictions were correct, in that the three things that you mentioned require some suspension of disbelief or hardly touched upon at all. After all that trouble the nuns went through, first it reveals as 'wrong address', followed by a failure of communication, which was a bit too jarring for me to swallow. Arguably the greatest thing that left me with a bitter aftertaste was the latter two of what you mentioned. The relationship between Shuu and Shouko, and the inner-conflicts of Tsukimi about Shuu, which should have been one of the major focus for the last episode, are pretty much left untouched, creating a massive cliff-hanger.

I've enjoyed this series quite a lot ever since you've introduced it to me, but like you said, it really should have been a 13-episode series. That two extra episodes could have easily given the show the needed boost to make the difference.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I know you have said that this is an 11 episode series, but I just can't believe it. There are so many loose ends that I'd actually become distressed to know that was the absolute end. Isn't there going to be a second series? Maybe some OVA to finish off the series? Come on, someone tell me this isn't the end, I'm desperate...

11:

If there were/are episodes after this then this would have been a good episode, save the accidental mix up with house addresses which was anti-climatic. Since this is the end, I am disappointed that it ended like this.

Offline HirakuNoShadow

• Viewer
    • monokurodays's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @monokurodays

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
I know you have said that this is an 11 episode series, but I just can't believe it. There are so many loose ends that I'd actually become distressed to know that was the absolute end. Isn't there going to be a second series? Maybe some OVA to finish off the series? Come on, someone tell me this isn't the end, I'm desperate...
If I remember correctly, there is an OVA on January 28, but it's a short episode, so I have a feeling that it's leaning towards as an omake rather than to wrap up the plotholes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
Wouldn't you be a little worried if your son is a thirty year old virgin?
Why do you think I want my son to get laid by the age of 30? What's the point in it? "I want my son to have sex before he turns 30." Doesn't this sound a lot stranger? The importance has never been about one's virginity per se; it's about the implication. This is a question about individual values and perhaps cultural backgrounds, and it's not wrong when there are some people who are conservative about virginity. It may sound assumptive but I have the impression that virginity is quite a big issue in the West, but not always in the East.

At least from where I am, the more common worry for parents is to see their children still being single after turning 30 or so. That's why I'm just saying that shouldn't they be more worried about the political brouhaha first rather be happy about Shuu's development.

Final:

I was very disappointed with Shiki's final episode, and now this. Let's see where it went right and wrong.

I always like homophonic misunderstandings, something Shinbo is a genius at making gags out of. When Tsukimi said that she wanted to "kiru" the dress, Kuranosuke thought of "to wear (kiru, 着る)" when Tsukimi meant "to cut (kiru, 切る)". umee fansubbers didn't take a step further and try to explain this bit, so people who don't understand this would be left in dark. A little unfortunate, I would say.

I think Kuranosuke's on a power trip when he thought that he could go all the way to Fifth Avenue with his jellyfish dresses. Clearly, he has no idea how ruthless the fashion industry is, and that one-trick ponies just don't work in such environments.

Red herrings are the topic of this episode, and I don't necessarily mean it in a good way. Although Yoshio's goofiness and density are at it again here, the big problem about improperly-used red herrings is that they're anti-climatic. In other words, they're smoke bombs and they tend to piss viewers off because they felt cheated at it. More importantly, when red herrings can be effectively used to throw viewers off-track, this one is analogous to throwing a bomb that never detonated. Same for the afro girl who turns out to having no concern on the Nunz whatsoever.

But, perhaps the red herring over the construction misunderstand did have a positive effect on the show, since it finally dawned upon the Nuns that they may lose their home. But here comes another problem: the whole transition rushing-to-save-their-home to Tsukimi-and-Kuranosuke-becoming-Fashion-Week-winners is quite the stretch. Simply put, it's rushed and I don't like it.

Maybe the biggest problem about this episode, and this show as a whole, is the Shuu-Shōko relationship. So what happens now? Shōko now has a change of heart and is showing signs that she's smitten by Shuu's middle schoolboy-charms (which I think is introduced way too late in this show). But what about Shuu's infatuation over Tsukimi? It goes up in flames, just like that? Why do I get the feeling that we viewers were led on a wild goose chase? Inconclusive relationship is inconclusive, indeed.

This scene is funny, because I was totally expecting this resemblance gag to happen.

--

My thoughts on this show:

Kuragehime started out in the best possible way, by having a first episode that immediately made a lot of viewers tout this as one of the best shows of 2010. Including myself, a lot of people were smitten by the charms of perhaps the most likable group of female geeks, the Nuns, which includes the protagonist Tsukimi. The show revolves around Tsukimi, probably the most likable jellyfish nut with a heart of gold, and her touching flashbacks of her late mother. The extreme personality polarity in the association between her and Kuranosuke is what makes this show shine along with the Nuns' quirkiness.

But another significant aspect of Kuragehime that makes it work is its brand of comedy. It's probably the best shoujo comedy in recent anime since Nana's back in 2007, and each episode doesn't fail in delivering the funnies. The reason behind the success of its comedy is its freshness in every episode, tying down the gags to emphasis on chemistry between characters' idiosyncasies and parodying real-life instances to visually realize the gags. The charming OP alone offers a glimpse of how effective parodies are all over the place, and most of them work to the fullest extent.

But what marrs the show is perhaps the final episode, where there are a number of loose ends and a suspension of disbelief. Perhaps the overarching problem of the show is its short length, and I think the show would've benefited a lot from the more standard half-length series of 12-13 episodes. With the extra 1-2 episodes, the show could've wrap things up more coherently. Or, maybe a second season is in the works because I can see potential in the development in the Tsukimi, Shuu and Kuranosuke love triangle.

This show's a strong 8 for me. Clearly the most well-executed shoujo comedy in a long time that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with B Gata H Kei as the contender for best comedy of 2010. It suffered from its 11-episode length, but for all the laughter and giggles this show has offered me, I'll give it its deserved kudos. Noitamina has scored another goal with Kuragehime, and director Omori Takahiro's abilities is flourishing, especially when he has two shows under his belt that featured in our YIH article. Good job, Brains Base.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:53:53 AM by AC »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 04:50:55 AM »
11 Final:

HNS, Fumoffu!, and AC have already pretty much touched on everything I was going to say about the last episode.  Sure, it's fun, like they all are, but that just wasn't an ending.  If we don't get more of this, I will firebomb Brain's Base.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up